Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The Endless isn't Amazon Prime, btw. It's a rental. Fun movie, though.

Watched the Netflix Original Tau. Maika Monroe kidnapped by Ed Skrein and forced to live in an AI house voiced by an unrecognizable Gary Oldman. It's real bad. The sci-fi aspects are either tired or half-developed, and it never generates any tension as a thriller. Do not give it your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sir Kodiak posted:

Watched the Netflix Original Tau. Maika Monroe kidnapped by Ed Skrein and forced to live in an AI house voiced by an unrecognizable Gary Oldman. It's real bad. The sci-fi aspects are either tired or half-developed, and it never generates any tension as a thriller. Do not give it your time.

That sounds like a complete waste of talent.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sir Kodiak posted:

I watched the trailer like 10 times in a row because it seemed like they couldn't even get straight what the premise was supposed to be. I was so confused.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Basebf555 posted:

Be aware though that it's still a paid rental, so maybe not the best rec for the streaming thread.

Whoops, that's my bad if the intent of the thread is only non-rental streaming. I've been waiting for The Endless to hit ANY streaming for awhile so I was excited :shobon:

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 23, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

mary had a little clam posted:

Whoops, that's my bad if the intent of the thread is only non-rental streaming. I've been waiting for The Endless to hit ANY streaming for awhile so I was excited :shobon:

Yea, we try to keep it to stuff included in subscriptions because if we just opened it up for anything available on Amazon Video the thread would just be too broad.

That said, sometimes there isn't really an appropriate thread to talk about a given film so I'm tempted to bring it up in here sometimes. Like last week when You Were Never Really Here kinda blew me away but I couldn't find a place where I thought it would make sense to post about it.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
This weekend, I watched Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds on Hulu and I loved it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, we try to keep it to stuff included in subscriptions because if we just opened it up for anything available on Amazon Video the thread would just be too broad.

That said, sometimes there isn't really an appropriate thread to talk about a given film so I'm tempted to bring it up in here sometimes. Like last week when You Were Never Really Here kinda blew me away but I couldn't find a place where I thought it would make sense to post about it.

I would think it’s fine as long as you mention that’s a rental/purchase thing just so people don’t get their hopes up.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I watched Diabolique ('55) on FilmStruck and loved kt. 50's French hitchcockian murder mystery thriller with some horror elememts. It's also available on Amazon Prime, but I don't know if the quality is as good. I did a longer write-up in the horror thread.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Franchescanado posted:

I watched Diabolique ('55) on FilmStruck and loved kt. 50's French hitchcockian murder mystery thriller with some horror elememts. It's also available on Amazon Prime, but I don't know if the quality is as good. I did a longer write-up in the horror thread.

It's good. Nobody ever watch the remake because it's boring as gently caress.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Snowman(HBOGO) really is impressively bad. Not really sure how this could've happened given the talent involved. Proven director, great lead, and the cast surrounding Fassbender was very solid too. Bizarre.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dark Tourist is really good. The segment on vampires is loving hilarious and reminded me of my days in the goth scene.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Franchescanado posted:

I watched Diabolique ('55) on FilmStruck and loved it. 50's French Hitchcockian murder mystery thriller with some horror elements. It's also available on Amazon Prime, but I don't know if the quality is as good. I did a longer write-up in the horror thread.

One of my all-time favorite movies. The remake is really boring somehow.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I Kill Giants and Before Midnight are both on Hulu now, and both great for very different reasons.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

precision posted:

I Kill Giants and Before Midnight are both on Hulu now, and both great for very different reasons.

Does no one have Before Sunset?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

Does no one have Before Sunset?

I believe the whole trilogy was on Netflix, or maybe Prime, last year. I know Before Sunset was because I rewatched it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

precision posted:

I believe the whole trilogy was on Netflix, or maybe Prime, last year. I know Before Sunset was because I rewatched it.

Not now. Netflix had Midnight recently, but looks like Hulu bought the license.

Edit: I think I posted a vague bitching here a bit ago when Netflix only had Midnight.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 24, 2018

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I really enjoyed I Kill Giants

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Jesus Christ that last segment on the last episode of Dark Tourist. We looked up the place on YouTube, and I don’t see how it is legal.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I watched Baywatch on Amazon over the weekend.

Don't be like me and watch Baywatch on Amazon.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

precision posted:

It's good. Nobody ever watch the remake because it's boring as gently caress.

Oh jesus, I'd somehow completely forgotten about that.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

I watched Baywatch on Amazon over the weekend.

Don't be like me and watch Baywatch on Amazon.

Baywatch is stupid and campy and a great exercise ‘this is going to make a billion dollars based on the Rock’s presence alone so who gives a poo poo’.

Snowman is incredible in that the sweeping landscape shots in the first 5 minutes are the only competent filmmaking in the entire 2 hour run, and the rest is absolute trash.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Vannin’ is a short and fun documentary about people who are into, well, vannin’.

Just a bunch of goofy people that trick out their old conversion vans and go to like, meet ups. And it does dip into the 70s tricked out van culture and all the booze and drug-filled mayhem included.

One thing that disappointed me was one of the guys was in a wheelchair and he had this smaller version of his van next to his van with a hole cut in the top. I was expecting to see him wheeling around wearing that over his chair going ‘mini-vannin’, so to speak. It never happened.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

nate fisher posted:

Jesus Christ that last segment on the last episode of Dark Tourist. We looked up the place on YouTube, and I don’t see how it is legal.

I haven't watched it yet, but I read the description and I'm gonna take a wild guess it's the extreme haunted house? I watched a doc on those on prime recently. that poo poo is insane and I'm pretty sure most of the people run them are nuts. There was one guy in particular. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the subject of the episode.

I just got through the Asia and Africa episodes tonight. :stare: JFC that pig shanking ceremony was hosed lotta unexpected animal killing in those eps. That was the only part that really got to me though. The rest of it was reasonably humane. I don't care if it's your culture don't torture animals. Wasn't thrilled about the puppy head either but it is what it is.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

"And he keeps her captive and makes her do these puzzles to make the AI!"

"... Why didn't the company just pay people to do puzzles?"

"Ummmm..."

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
How it Ends is so bad. I won't even bold it, gently caress this movie. Not even bad in a 2012 sense, they barely show the "disasters" and never explain what's going on. Run far from this movie.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I don't care that they don't explain it, but the plot and visuals are bland as hell. There's a million post-apoc movies, do something to set yourself apart.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

How it Ends is so bad. I won't even bold it, gently caress this movie. Not even bad in a 2012 sense, they barely show the "disasters" and never explain what's going on. Run far from this movie.

Are there separate creative heads at Netflix for TV and Film, like Marvel? Why can they put out so many great shows, but can't do a single good film, like even Amazon can?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I assume Netflix mostly gets the rights to movies would've been direct-to-video in the past.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Basebf555 posted:

The Snowman(HBOGO) really is impressively bad. Not really sure how this could've happened given the talent involved. Proven director, great lead, and the cast surrounding Fassbender was very solid too. Bizarre.

I read the book when it was a massive best seller and it was awful. I'll have to check the movie out.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lycus posted:

"And he keeps her captive and makes her do these puzzles to make the AI!"

"... Why didn't the company just pay people to do puzzles?"

"Ummmm..."

Honestly you're halfway to selling me on Tau.

The entire reason to develop an AI is so you don't have to pay your employees!

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Tau isnt a so bad its good movie, its just boring and dumb with some bright and shiny cgi to forget how boring it is.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nihonniboku posted:

Are there separate creative heads at Netflix for TV and Film, like Marvel? Why can they put out so many great shows, but can't do a single good film, like even Amazon can?

The Ritual and The Discovery were both pretty good, but due to the opaque nature of "Netflix Original" branding I don't know if those were movies they actually had a hand in making or if they just paid for distribution rights.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrNutt posted:

The Ritual and The Discovery were both pretty good, but due to the opaque nature of "Netflix Original" branding I don't know if those were movies they actually had a hand in making or if they just paid for distribution rights.

Yea, that's the tricky part. The Ritual I believe was just an indie British film that was picked up by Netflix after the fact, for instance.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Lycus posted:

I assume Netflix mostly gets the rights to movies would've been direct-to-video in the past.

Amazon Prime feels like that. There's so many random lovely horror movies on there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I absolutely love the amount of 70s-80s Italian exploitation trash on Amazon.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Really enjoyed A Dark Song, streaming on Netflix. Neat little horrorish movie about two people conducting a magic ritual in an old farmhouse. Very personal and grounded.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Honestly you're halfway to selling me on Tau.

The entire reason to develop an AI is so you don't have to pay your employees!

Yeah, but normally you pay the employees who are making the AI, then fire them when it works or whatever. Whereas the Tau tech guy is kidnapping poor people, doing brain scans while they solve puzzles, then killing them afterwards for no apparent reason.

Of course, this is also a movie that spends its entire time counting down to the completion of a super-AI, has the final brain scan take place to make the super AI, but the super AI never makes an appearance. And there's several other aborted plotlines that never go anywhere I won't even get into. Just a complete misfire.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Just finished Evil Genius, which is a really good murder-mystery documentary. Up next is The Keepers since it was recommended on here awhile ago.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't watched it yet, but I read the description and I'm gonna take a wild guess it's the extreme haunted house? I watched a doc on those on prime recently. that poo poo is insane and I'm pretty sure most of the people run them are nuts. There was one guy in particular. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the subject of the episode.

If you are talking about the guy that ran the one in San Diego, that is the guy. He has relocated to Tennessee (south of Nashville), and still no one has ever made it to the end. It is more like a torture house than a haunted house.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

LadyPictureShow posted:

Amazon Prime feels like that. There's so many random lovely horror movies on there.

Prime's horror selection is insanely good compared to Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

DrNutt posted:

I turned The Discovery off 3/4 through to be honest. It started off with an interesting premise, but once I figured out the twist (a twist wikipedia then confirmed, I was done.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Yeah, but Amazon also has some critically acclaimed movies, including one that won Best Picture at the Oscars.