Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I don't even need much, just "Work your way down the tiers and escape the island" is good enough. Hell, there's a mobile port called Radiation Island which is an adequate game at best, and even it has a goal and some sort of progression.

Come to think of it, what are some horror/survival games with an actual win/end-game state? The Forest has a goal... so does Radiation Island... Desolate isn't complete yet but very clearly has a main quest line. I can't really think of any others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Quicksilver6 posted:

I don't even need much, just "Work your way down the tiers and escape the island" is good enough. Hell, there's a mobile port called Radiation Island which is an adequate game at best, and even it has a goal and some sort of progression.

Come to think of it, what are some horror/survival games with an actual win/end-game state? The Forest has a goal... so does Radiation Island... Desolate isn't complete yet but very clearly has a main quest line. I can't really think of any others.

Subnautica is excellent in this regard, containing a story, a goal, and a good feeling of progression as you attain it and discover more about the planet and its past while trying to escape it.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Also scary as poo poo, especially later on when you find the higher tier enemies.

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian

Quicksilver6 posted:

In that “multiplayer crafting survival game” Conan Exiles, you are thrown into the Exiled Lands and kept there by a special green bracelet that kills you if you attempt to remove it or cross one of the many green ghost walls making the borders of the map. You can actually figure out a way to remove the bracelet (It’s a doozy with many steps and killing many bosses) and escape the Exiled Lands.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

s.i.r.e. posted:

I never heard anything about the game being a rogue-like and none of the trailers that came out for the game screamed "rogue-like survival." It looked like a Bioshock, story driven experience and really nothing else.
They said it on the kickstarter page.

quote:

It’s a first-person game, set in a procedurally generated, fully 3D city that you must escape before society collapses around you. But, like any good roguelike, you’re probably going to die a few times before you figure out how it all works.
https://web.archive.org/web/20150704145152/https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/112359230/we-happy-few-welcome-to-wellington-wells-you-saucy

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Quicksilver6 posted:

Also scary as poo poo, especially later on when you find the higher tier enemies.

For myself, someone who has a fear of large creatures and open ocean, trust me, the entire loving game was terrifying. Took me a while to not get freaked out from the random ocean noises you hear, especially from those reefback things.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

chitoryu12 posted:

I can't recall if they've allowed you to disable survival mechanics yet. I know you can disable permadeath so you just wake up at your safehouse if you run out of health.

well, they basically made survival mechanics and turned them down, like instead of death, its buffs and debuffs and you can set it so only buffs are on at least in the final game and their are more difficulty options.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I didn't even know it was a Kickstarter game.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

s.i.r.e. posted:

I didn't even know it was a Kickstarter game.

:same:

I wasn't aware either.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Today I watched my character sink into the floor in eternal darkness.
Also my head blew off and the narrator cited hamlet.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah I have to admit, I've been loosely following "We Happy Few" and was also unaware of many of those Roguelite elements.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Also I can vouch for the poster above: subnautica scared the hell out of me.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I hear such good things about Subnautica, but said phobia prevents me from even bothering.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I hear such good things about Subnautica, but said phobia prevents me from even bothering.

I'm not fully sure how I got around my phobia tbh,but managed to get through the whole game and in the end quite enjoyed it.

Some help to those who want to play the game but are turned off by fear:
Carry around oxygen tanks so as to avoid having to rise to the surface because that poo poo is terrifying.
Stay away from the crashed ship for a while.
You get a device that lets you move quickly through the water, which really helped my fear, and later some vehicles which significantly helped.
There's a huge vent that makes some roaring noises near your starting point - it's just a heat vent and though it will hurt you if you get really close, isn't bad.
Play with sound turned down until you're more comfortable.
There are devices you can launch to the surface that you can attach pipes to in order to provide oxygen in slightly deeper areas, use those to stay in some deeper areas to avoid having to constantly get your O2 replenished at the surface.
Try to die once or twice to get over the experience, knowing that the penalty isn't very significant helps.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

does anyone know of a good, fairly comprehensive look at subnautica by a person who isn't annoying? i'm fully aware that i wouldn't be able to reliably handle playing it so watching a playthough is the next best thing.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

No I don’t. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

does anyone know of a good, fairly comprehensive look at subnautica by a person who isn't annoying? i'm fully aware that i wouldn't be able to reliably handle playing it so watching a playthough is the next best thing.

What you mean you don't like someone playing normally a-*fish swims in front* OH MY GOD DID YOU SEE THOUGHT OH MY GOD I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DIE *ten minutes breathing heavily to calm down*

Unedited, of course.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

If you can take some guys (Not super seriously) roleplaying, just watch Neebs Gaming's playthrough of it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

oldpainless posted:

No I don’t. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

More like olduseless.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

Well, there’s nothing immediately scary/a predator around your raft in the shallow area you start in. It’s the safest area of the game, just lots of small alien fish bumbling around. If the ground starts to drop off rapidly to a deeper shelf, or you see a forest of kelp, those are more dangerous areas. There are also lots of small caves in the floor of the starting area, which can contain a particularly annoying critter. So avoid going spelunking and you can definitely explore the starting area safely and get your bearings, without worrying about triggering a heart attack.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well apparently they decided to go full prey 2017 with it with big story with multiple characters and tons of crafting and options. the survival elements are there but they can be tweaked to only do positive poo poo or something because they felt like if they got rid of it completely they would ruin the narrative/immersion. from what i have played the writing and the humor is pretty decent/good. i am kinda curious what "the very bad thing" was i assume they killed their kids ala sophies choice or some poo poo.

Should I wait like 2 weeks for August 10th before I redownload the game to see its full release form or are most of those pieces already there?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Subnautica is scary in the way a kitten in a new house is scared.

Except sometimes the floor drops a thousand meters away and a mass of teeth and sinew comes out of the dark at you.

Great game.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Faffel posted:

Except sometimes the floor drops a thousand meters away and a mass of teeth and sinew comes out of the dark at you.

Great game.

Yeah see...gently caress that. gently caress that soooooooo hard. Also googling what's in store in the black kind of cemented I'll never play. I hear the soundtracks great though, I should check that out.

Also, I watched the Silent Hills teaser earlier and I'm really depressed now.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I have a permanent memorial to silent hills on my amazon wish list that makes me kinda sad when I see it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The music and sound design is probably one of the strongest parts of Subnautica for spooking you good too.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Crabtree posted:

Should I wait like 2 weeks for August 10th before I redownload the game to see its full release form or are most of those pieces already there?

i think its still later version beta. id download it early and wait.

Faffel posted:

Great game.

i need to try it some time, but i suck with survival games.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I need to try it some time, but I suck with survival games.

You can dev menu the survival stuff off and just play it entirely as an at-your-own-pace exploration game, which definitely helps if the mechanics get too grating or you just wanna chill out.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Yeah see...gently caress that. gently caress that soooooooo hard. Also googling what's in store in the black kind of cemented I'll never play. I hear the soundtracks great though, I should check that out.

Check the ost while seeing someone's let's play! You don't have to watch the whole thing, but the reason those tracks work is because of the combination between the visuals present and the sound effects.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i need to try it some time, but i suck with survival games.

From what I remember the game does have a mode to take the more annoying parts of survival out (like hunger and oxygen), and even a creative mode.

Meallan fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 24, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lifeglug posted:

I have a permanent memorial to silent hills on my amazon wish list that makes me kinda sad when I see it.

I still have PT installed. Everytime I think about getting rid of it I don't

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Len posted:

I still have PT installed. Everytime I think about getting rid of it I don't

You could probably legit sell that PS4 on eBay for the price of a new PS4 and then some

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

CharlestonJew posted:

You could probably legit sell that PS4 on eBay for the price of a new PS4 and then some

Is that really a thing? I have PT on my PS4 and could never bring myself to play it.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Fhqwhgads posted:

Is that really a thing? I have PT on my PS4 and could never bring myself to play it.

Yeah, I checked ebay and yeah, there's PS4's sold advertised as having PT on it as a selling point.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Lifeglug posted:

Yeah, I checked ebay and yeah, there's PS4's sold advertised as having PT on it as a selling point.

Right after Konami salted the earth on that poo poo was a good entrypoint, ps4's going for insane amounts on Ebay. I'm sure you could still do well, there's a lapover of Kojima fans and Silent Hill fans that lucrative as gently caress.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I don’t think anyone has discussed this recently, but over the past month FNaF’s Ultimate Custom Night was released and the “impossible” 50/20 mode (all 50 base characters on highest difficulty) beaten. One of the victors is YouTuber Dawko who had a fun bet going on with Scott Cawthon: if Dawko could conquer 50/20 Scott would give an interview on Dawko’s podcast. This set to air around the fourth anniversary of the game in August.

A newer game in a similar vein, Baldi’s Basics, has gotten a “field trip” demo to go along with a new Kickstarter which is 10% funded after being up about a day. I learned of this via John Wolfe who is vehemently defending the game against the sort of haters who sneer at the “cringe” and viral popularity of a free game made in two weeks for a game jam that played second and was never intended for a mass audience. I genuinely hope the dev meets his goal.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

My gripe with the Baldi's Basics thing is the guy's asking $50,000 for.. well Baldi's friggin Basics and saying they're gonna quit their job if it gets funded, which sounds like an incredibly bad idea when you're putting all that on hoping your flash in the pan indie horror game manages to keep it's momentum and doesn't just flop any day as they're wont to do.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 25, 2018

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Quitting jobs over Baldi's is a bad idea. That being said making a full game is WAY more expensive than you think so don't turn up your nose at $50,000. That might honestly be asking way too little if they're planning on doing development full time.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Glagha posted:

Quitting jobs over Baldi's is a bad idea. That being said making a full game is WAY more expensive than you think so don't turn up your nose at $50,000. That might honestly be asking way too little if they're planning on doing development full time.

It depends if the guy is working on his own - if so, that's just asking for a year's worth of salary (well, less, but still). Looks like he already has all the tools necessary so it's not like he needs to buy an office or whatever.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

A year's worth, without insurance or any other benefits, paying all expenses related to the job out of pocket, if working alone. poo poo adds up quick. It's a small project so it could be all that's needed but it's really easy to underestimate the costs of being self-employed for any length of time.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Mind you in the details he's saying that half the kickstarter money is just generally going to him and the other half is the game, with some chunk therein going to make the dumb physical copies they're doing for some of the backer tiers and other weird divisions of the money.

The whole thing feels really :thunk: and horribly thought out on multiple fronts.

"About 50 percent will go toward supporting myself so I can quit my current job and go into full-time development on Baldi's Basics. Another 10 percent will be put toward making the boxed editions of the game. 15 percent will go toward equipment (such as console dev kits) and the remaining 25% percent will cover for taxes and Kickstarter fees. Another challenge is time. I know I made the original game in two weeks, but it also had notable problems because of how rushed it was. With this version, I want to take my time and guarantee the game is up to snuff. I'm shooting for 18 months, but it could take a little longer. Maybe shorter! No matter how long it takes, I guarantee I will finish the game and provide updates on my progress all the while!"

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

If that's the breakdown then they've got a pretty short development window. That money is gonna dry up FAST.