Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Never realized how lovely open concept floor plans are for offices. Sitting near some guy who just loving bellows to other people when he talks and will sometimes talk to people 30 or 40 feet away. Super aggravating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Open office and my colleague who sits near me, never shuts the gently caress up. Talking out loud. When he reads emails. out loud. when he does something he says what he is doing out loud. I wouldn't mind if it was info i needed to know but 99% of it is nonsense for what he should be doing.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

You know what my biggest open plan office grip? Coworkers who whistled. I swear I raged out so hard when one of my coworkers near me would not quit whistling on the job.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sefal posted:

Open office and my colleague who sits near me, never shuts the gently caress up. Talking out loud. When he reads emails. out loud. when he does something he says what he is doing out loud. I wouldn't mind if it was info i needed to know but 99% of it is nonsense for what he should be doing.

As someone who talks to themselves semiconsciously I fear an open office plan for just this reason. :ohdear:

(The bullpen-NOC-thing we’re in has two pods of 5 desk cubes each with two walls around each desk but I sit in a back corner so it isn’t too bad).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Docjowles posted:

I was reminiscing the other day about the first ~* gaming rig *~ I built from scratch in high school. I'm a bit hazy on the specs, but it definitely had a Voodoo2 card, 128MB of RAM, and a Pentium 2 with a clock measured in Mhz. And a sweet, sweet 56k modem.

It owned hard :cool:

You didn't OC a Celeron 300A?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hardwood or concrete floors.

*clop* *clop* *clop* *clop* *clop* *clop* *clop* *clop* *clop*

*clop* *clop* *clop* *clop*

It's like working around a bunch of horses

Vargatron posted:

You know what my biggest open plan office grip? Coworkers who whistled. I swear I raged out so hard when one of my coworkers near me would not quit whistling on the job.

I hate whistlers. You hear them coming down the hall...it's like loving horror movie

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Sefal posted:

Headphones, preferably closed back and around-the-ear, are extremely necessary in an open office.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

CheckPoint?

CheckPoint is on the list, and it's the first on the list. They have pretty much everything listed though and it says "one of the following." I'm assuming they're assuming if you have some experience with one firewall vendor they can at least train you on the rest pretty quickly.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I worked in the county jail where my office was next to one of the tanks in the jail proper instead of on the administration side. Daily fights and yelling was the norm. I learned to tune it out but listening in was pretty fun during the downtimes.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

SamDabbers posted:

Headphones, preferably closed back and around-the-ear, are extremely necessary in an open office.
Yuuuuuup

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bob Morales posted:

The building lobby here has natural wood floors that creak a little when you walk on them, and it's actually extremely satisfying. The offices are all carpeted to reduce sound though, which makes a huge difference.

My trigger is people slamming office doors shut. Not out of anger, just letting the door close hard without trying to slow it down, letting out a desk-shaking boom as it smashes into the frame. It's not like it's difficult to nicely close a door.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bob Morales posted:

*CLOP* *CLOP* *CLOP* *CLOP*
*CLOP* *CLOP* *BANG* *CLOP*
*CLOP* *CLOP* *CLOP* *CLOP*

Amish drive-by.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 24, 2018

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

SamDabbers posted:

One of the managers that sits behind me chews his lunch with an open mouth and also won't stop talking with his mouth full. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have headphones to block him out.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
When it rains it pours I guess. Got a lovely offer letter that I'm going to ask for clarification on a bunch of points (discretionary vacation seems like a red flag but maybe it's fine) and this morning I did a phone interview for a architecture firm for in house and the lady was super nice and I hope it moves forward.

I will not feel bad if I leave the MSP in a lurch because there's a pretty weird non compete in the offer letter. 2 years and it basically encompasses NJ, NYC, CT, and LI. But it's MSP focused and I think if I left the company it would sure as hell not be for another MSP.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Most MSP non competes are really just so you don’t take clients with you if you leave or start working for a client without the MSP getting some sort of finders fee. I wouldn’t worry about it even if you decided to work at another MSP

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Matt Zerella posted:

When it rains it pours I guess. Got a lovely offer letter that I'm going to ask for clarification on a bunch of points (discretionary vacation seems like a red flag but maybe it's fine) and this morning I did a phone interview for a architecture firm for in house and the lady was super nice and I hope it moves forward.

I will not feel bad if I leave the MSP in a lurch because there's a pretty weird non compete in the offer letter. 2 years and it basically encompasses NJ, NYC, CT, and LI. But it's MSP focused and I think if I left the company it would sure as hell not be for another MSP.

They can't prevent you from working at another MSP, all they can sue you for is stealing customers. Non-competes are scare tactics and little else.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Yeah my lawyer sister in law basically said the same thing and said it's a hilariously unenforceable non compete especially in NY.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Vargatron posted:

The guy who sits next to me has a habit of rapidly clicking his pen open and shut for what seems like hours. No jury in the world would convict me.

Overall my coworkers are super respectful of the open office situation, though. I've definitely worked in places where people stop to have a conversation directly next to your desk, or sales is bellowing poo poo on speakerphone or something, with just zero self awareness. Not a problem here, for whatever reason. I don't have to live in my headphones, which is nice. But still, gently caress open office layouts forever.

Bob Morales posted:

You didn't OC a Celeron 300A?

Now that you mention it, this actually sounds exactly right! :eng101:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

One of the managers that sits behind me chews his lunch with an open mouth and also won't stop talking with his mouth full. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have headphones to block him out.

My nemesis is a balding fat sweaty neckbeard who I have dubbed Chip Guy, he sits a cubicle away. Every day at 11:30am he rips open a back of chips and open mouth chews them as loud as he possibly can including slurps and lip smacks. My headphones don't cancel it out completely. I'm going to kill him one day.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

siggy2021 posted:

CheckPoint is on the list, and it's the first on the list. They have pretty much everything listed though and it says "one of the following." I'm assuming they're assuming if you have some experience with one firewall vendor they can at least train you on the rest pretty quickly.

Prepare yourself. Check Point is up there on the most powerful and forward-thinking UTP appliances out there, but gently caress is it slapped together like nobody's business.

If you follow their best practices/documentation/manuals to-the-letter, you'll be fine. As soon as your requirements veer you off-path, you enter a world of silo'd tech support the likes of which I had never seen. This is especially true with their site-to-site VPN blade.

Also, make sure your Sales Engineer provides you the CP Sizer reports, in case their support team tells you your gear is under-powered. I went through three or four closed emergency tickets before I threw my hands up and had the SE give me those reports, just to get the support team to disengage from their "close ticket as quickly as possible" logic.

I think upgrading from our old UTP appliances to Check Point was the right move, don't get me wrong. But you're entering a whole new ballpark of complexity with Check Point, so be ready.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

DizzyBum posted:

CLAM DOWN posted:

My nemesis is a balding fat sweaty neckbeard who I have dubbed Chip Guy, he sits a cubicle away. Every day at 11:30am he rips open a back of chips and open mouth chews them as loud as he possibly can including slurps and lip smacks. My headphones don't cancel it out completely. I'm going to kill him one day.

Mouth-open chewing is terrorism.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sepist posted:

Never realized how lovely open concept floor plans are for offices. Sitting near some guy who just loving bellows to other people when he talks and will sometimes talk to people 30 or 40 feet away. Super aggravating

I'll phone people who sit two desks away, just basic courtesy really but nobody else seems to bother.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

This but also he moans loudly while eating and gasps for breath in between bites and sticks his fingers all the way in while dipping so he can suck the dip off (while using the conference room computer) and headphones don't help because he will call you over to his desk while eating and eat during meetings

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

siggy2021 posted:

I just found out today that the job I'm interviewing for tomorrow requires a week of training in Tel-Aviv, Israel. He Mr. Recruiter, you never thought about bringing that up?

He also keeps calling it a Network Administrator position, but it's actually support for clients. Looks like mostly Firewall stuff. I'm not 100% sold, but if the money is right their dress code is jeans and t-shirt and they work half day Fridays so I might just say gently caress it and go for a ride.

Why do (most) recruiters suck so loving much?

I’m in Tel-Aviv right now on vacation. It’s hot, humid, and sunny.

I highly recommend bringing good sunscreen, they don’t really do that here. SPF 50 or 60. Checked luggage will be no problem for a good sized bottle.

You must bring at least 2 swimsuits, pretty much every beach is amazing and not swimming at every chance is a waste of time.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The worst thing about open seat plans are “quick 1 on 1s” who are never quick and usually end up in 5+ people loudly arguing while I’m sitting next to them trying to work. When my over ear closed headphones don’t cancel it out I usually put them off and tell the guys “oh get a room!”. Most people think I’m joking but it always moves them away.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
A few jobs ago we had an open floor plan and I had a cube that was right on the corner of a T intersection where the fourth side was the door into the NOC. Because of the location and the flow of traffic people would stand in the intersection and have impromptu meetings while loitering at the wall of my cube. A couple assholes would even casually lean against my cube wall and rest their arms and elbows on the top of the wall as they blathered on, knocking and vibrating my wall incessantly. Bigger assholes would reach down onto my desk mid-conversation and “borrow” my mechanical pencil and a pad of paper promising to “bring it back”.

No amount of cajoling, pleading, staring or yelling on my part halted the practice.

So one day I made a set of makeshift bird repellant spikes out of tape, paper and paper clips with the pointy ends sticking up and out.

It lasted a couple of hours and got some laughs from the NOC folks until the Ops Director stabbed himself in the forearm. Despite the BIG RED TEXT caution sign I printed up on our plotter.

He bled, I got yelled at, the spikes got taken down.

I regret nothing.

I learned a ton there, but man what a lovely place to work.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 24, 2018

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Agrikk posted:

A few jobs ago we had an open floor plan and I had a cube that was right on the corner of a T intersection where the fourth side was the door into the NOC. Because of the location and the flow of traffic people would stand in the intersection and have impromptu meetings while loitering at the wall of my cube. A couple assholes would even casually lean against my cube wall and rest their arms and elbows on the top of the wall as they blathered on, knocking and vibrating my wall incessantly. Bigger assholes would reach down onto my desk mid-conversation and “borrow” my mechanical pencil and a pad of paper promising to “bring it back”.

No amount of cajoling, pleading, staring or yelling on my part halted the practice.

So one day I made a set of makeshift bird repellant spikes out of tape, paper and paper clips with the pointy ends sticking up and out.

It lasted a couple of hours and got some laughs from the NOC folks until the Ops Director stabbed himself in the forearm. Despite the BIG RED TEXT caution sign I printed up on our plotter.

He bled, I got yelled at, the spikes got taken down.

I regret nothing.

Next time use the shards of a broken coffee cup, much more noticeable.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Zil posted:

Next time use the shards of a broken coffee cup, much more noticeable.

Hah hah hah.

There won’t ever be a next time. Never again do I work in a toxic environment like that.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Heyyyyy guyyyysss.

So one of our customers is about to make themselves a fairly public target for interested snoopers, and we're busy trying to lock things down. One of the things we'd like to do is implement a real IDS/IPS, as we've mostly had to settle for firewalling (ASAs, mostly, and from everything I've heard I don't want firePOWER).

What's the current state of these systems and what would people recommend? Something firewall integrated, i.e. replace ASA with Palo Alto? Separate system sitting behind the ASA, and if so what? This client is normally pretty stingy, but I think they'd spring for something decent given the current situation, where decent is defined as probably under $20k. They're not large, and their main connection is only 100 meg symmetrical, so they don't need a ton of throughput, and there aren't a lot of remote users. It's more important to have easily usable and installable gear that does a good job catching threats and/or alerting on them.

Oh yeah and we're trying to get this done by next week because they told us today :shepicide:

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Heyyyyy guyyyysss.

So one of our customers is about to make themselves a fairly public target for interested snoopers,

You really gonna dangle that juicy piece in front of us with no redacted storytime? I'm offended. :nono:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Time to apply the 'no story - no help'-principle? :sun:

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Wibla posted:

Time to apply the 'no story - no help'-principle? :sun:

:toot: :justpost: :toot:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Heyyyyy guyyyysss.

So one of our customers is about to make themselves a fairly public target for interested snoopers, and we're busy trying to lock things down. One of the things we'd like to do is implement a real IDS/IPS, as we've mostly had to settle for firewalling (ASAs, mostly, and from everything I've heard I don't want firePOWER).

What's the current state of these systems and what would people recommend? Something firewall integrated, i.e. replace ASA with Palo Alto? Separate system sitting behind the ASA, and if so what? This client is normally pretty stingy, but I think they'd spring for something decent given the current situation, where decent is defined as probably under $20k. They're not large, and their main connection is only 100 meg symmetrical, so they don't need a ton of throughput, and there aren't a lot of remote users. It's more important to have easily usable and installable gear that does a good job catching threats and/or alerting on them.

Oh yeah and we're trying to get this done by next week because they told us today :shepicide:

Fortinet's are reasonably priced, they catch stuff, but I'm not sure how good they are at it, but they're one of the biggest companies in the UTM space today.

They're not hard to work with either.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
600 honeypots, one real server. Autoshun all the connections to the honeypots

Edit: if you only care about perimeter, a pa220 will do 100mb no problem and is like 3k with licenses. It's just a matter of setting it up properly.

Also firepower isn't terrible it's just not easy to set up. Palo is definitely superior though.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 24, 2018

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Heyyyyy guyyyysss.

I've been really happy with Palo Alto lately, but we have a fairly wide-spread environment with tons of firewall endpoints. The Panorama dashboard makes the product in my opinion. Either way, they work even if you're just using one, and have some good integrations with vCenter so you can-

quote:

hahaha your best option is to shut the internet off

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
So I think my interview went really well and I went from meh about the possible job to gently caress yes I want this. I'm definitely under qualified in a lot of areas, but they don't seem to be too concerned about that and don't seem to mind teaching. The people all seemed great. The company sounds phenomenal (TWELVE options for health insurance plans!?!) and I got to calm my wife down about the Tel Aviv trip because the whole team goes there every year and once a year they do a 2-3 week culture swap with someone in the Israel office, so I could take her there in a year or two for a couple of weeks instead of one where I'm busy constantly.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

siggy2021 posted:

So I think my interview went really well and I went from meh about the possible job to gently caress yes I want this. I'm definitely under qualified in a lot of areas, but they don't seem to be too concerned about that and don't seem to mind teaching. The people all seemed great. The company sounds phenomenal (TWELVE options for health insurance plans!?!) and I got to calm my wife down about the Tel Aviv trip because the whole team goes there every year and once a year they do a 2-3 week culture swap with someone in the Israel office, so I could take her there in a year or two for a couple of weeks instead of one where I'm busy constantly.

Good job, that sounds fun

quote:

(TWELVE options for health insurance plans!?!)

If it's anything like my employer, a quarter of the plans at best are going to be viable options. For me it was because some were union only, and others had no presence in my state which meant no in-network providers.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
At my current employer my options are do you want to pay a little for poo poo coverage or a lot for slightly less poo poo coverage?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

siggy2021 posted:

At my current employer my options are do you want to pay a little for poo poo coverage or a lot for slightly less poo poo coverage?

I just get Kaiser.

I have to walk all the way across the parking lot to see my Doctor. It's such a hardship.

On the other hand, we also get old people going to Kaiser accidentally flooring the accelerator and hitting a handicapped sign and using that to launch their car onto the roof of our HR managers car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

chin up everything sucks posted:

I just get Kaiser.

I have to walk all the way across the parking lot to see my Doctor. It's such a hardship.

On the other hand, we also get old people going to Kaiser accidentally flooring the accelerator and hitting a handicapped sign and using that to launch their car onto the roof of our HR managers car.

Set up a webcam and make some money on the side by streaming that poo poo.