Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Those are some big fat small things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

McGiggins posted:

Those are some big fat small things.
that hunched rounded posture means they're completely terrified and if the photographer comes one step closer they'll both launch themselves at light speed into the wall, with no survivors

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm fully expecting Moon Unit to randomly turn up alive and well within a week now, just to confuse you all the more.

I had a hen go missing for six months. She came home with her band still around her leg. As i carried her to her cage, an owl dived me, grabbed her head and ripped it straight off her shoulders.

Thankfully she brought eight new recruits with her (I don't know where she found them but she did!) so she had many replacements. I used to think she'd hatched a nest but that hen would actively try to eat her own eggs so I somewhat doubt it.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I had a hen go missing for six months. She came home with her band still around her leg. As i carried her to her cage, an owl dived me, grabbed her head and ripped it straight off her shoulders.

Well that was a wild ride in 40 words.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

spookygonk posted:

Well that was a wild ride in 40 words.

Quail are beautiful in every single way

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I love this thread. :allears:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The world of owning chickens and quails is a lot more of a rollercoaster than I ever knew :psyduck:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The world of owning chickens and quails is a lot more of a rollercoaster than I ever knew :psyduck:

Earlier this year I had a chicken shove her head through three different fences (all very close together) to bite the electric fence wire on the other side. I honestly would not have believed her neck would stretch that far if you'd have told me it.

It killed her obviously because it's strong enough to make the sheep jump if they touch it.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Thankfully she brought eight new recruits with her (I don't know where she found them but she did!) so she had many replacements. I used to think she'd hatched a nest but that hen would actively try to eat her own eggs so I somewhat doubt it.
this is incredible

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:aaaaa:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Can anyone tell me what bird this feather may have come from?

I assume it must be a hawk of some sort.

Probably goes without saying that I lost a chicken unfortunately.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mozi posted:

Can anyone tell me what bird this feather may have come from?

I assume it must be a hawk of some sort.

Probably goes without saying that I lost a chicken unfortunately.

broad-winged hawk tail feather in my opinion. it'll be back for more.

https://www.fws.gov/lab/featheratlas/feather.php?Bird=BWHA_tail_imm this is where I'm getting broad-winged from, for the record. They're native to VT and it'd be about the right time for a juvenile to be hitting the ground running up there.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 26, 2018

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Yep... that sounds about right - location, time, feather matches, and looking at pics of those hawks I know I've seen them in the area often. Thanks for the info.

RIP Roger. I've ordered a bunch of fishing line and aviary netting - this isn't going to happen again. I thought they had enough cover but there are so many trees around I guess the hawk could just hide up there close by and wait for the perfect moment.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Narrator: But it was, in fact, going to happen again.

In also seriousness though, consider that your hen is basically chicken fem-jesus, but more successful. She led her literal flock to the promised land of your yard, and paid the penultimate price for her efforts.

If she raises from the dead though, I trust chicken-jesus will get the shovel.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Well this one was definitely going to be a big-rear end rooster (for a bantam, anyways) so I prefer to think he fought valiantly to save the others :unsmith:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

McGiggins posted:

In also seriousness though, consider that your hen is basically chicken fem-jesus, but more successful. She led her literal flock to the promised land of your yard, and paid the penultimate price for her efforts.

I think you're right. She knew her days were numbered, but bought the flock home. Would make one hell of a movie.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Oh god it's poultry Homeward Bound but if Shadow actually died

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
If Shadow had appeared on top of the hill and then immediately keeled over, sure.

littlebluellama
Jun 18, 2013

I am kind, brave and deserve love.

McGiggins posted:

If getting your head ripped off is the penultimate price, hens are more creative at getting killed than I thought.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Alright hawks, you like to eat my chickens, huh? Well why don't you try eating your own poo poo instead! :flip:

(It's hard to see but I strung up a ton of fishing line and put aviary netting over parts as well.)

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Av, do you lock them up at night, or move the hutch indoors?

The reason I ask is because cats and possums will pull them close through that hutch wire gap stuff, and chew their heads and necks off.

If you do secure them it shouldn't be an issue, otherwise I'd suggest just putting some small square bird wire over it.

I had a possum do this through a 20cent gap

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Kharnifex posted:

Av, do you lock them up at night, or move the hutch indoors?

The reason I ask is because cats and possums will pull them close through that hutch wire gap stuff, and chew their heads and necks off.

If you do secure them it shouldn't be an issue, otherwise I'd suggest just putting some small square bird wire over it.

I had a possum do this through a 20cent gap

Oh good it's more storytime time.

This dude is right.

I walked out to a rabbit that'd been torn halfway through baby saver wire by a neighborhood cat (the cat was not having a good day, either, after the livestock dogs realized what was going on) and the rabbit was still alive curled up in a corner.

Small outdoor predators are hell on wheels.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

We've had a couple encounters with local city cats. Fortunately they've never figured out how to get in the coop but the ladies sure do scream bloody murder.

Just this afternoon I saw one run into a bush in the corner of the yard. I yelled at it and the closest bird looked up in surprise and saw the cat and freaked out, and in her panic to flee managed to kick it straight in the face while honking in panic. Cat didn't know what the hell had happened and booked it. Good work as-of-yet unnamed burd.

We're building a proper safety run and getting some live traps though. Gotta keep those bwords safe.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

when i was on the farm i used to have the hutch blocked off to keep the goshawks from playing whack-a-quail, but didn't think i had too much to worry about here. obviously that was wrong, so yeah i'll be netting it off soon. i use soft bird netting for my king quails and that seems to work well, they can't get through it or break their little heads against it

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I really want to keep California quails again, I had some as a kid with my king quails, they were so expensive in Oz

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Kharnifex posted:

I really want to keep California quails again, I had some as a kid with my king quails, they were so expensive in Oz
$80/100 a pair and you have to drive to penrith for them! (although just by chance the other day i met a guy breeding them here in the hunter, he had chukar partridges too, i was so tempted but i just could not give them the care they need right now)

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

A younger pullet I just picked up seems to have a cold? Her eyes look a bit watery and she sneezes occasionally. If I pick her up I can feel her breath is a little rattley/congested. Anything I can do or just wait it out?

Shes eating and drinking and walking around so it doesn't seem TOO bad.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

"Draw me like one of your French quails."

(why does she sleep like this it's so undignified)

I hope your pullet shakes whatever she's got!

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
My chook had a cold.

She lived.

Based on this I'm assuming your chook may live as well.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Posted by FlyingJun. Free chicken nesting boxes from Costco.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

That chicken on the left knows

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Based on what I've read today, chickens don't really get just colds. It's some type of respiratory infection, gonna grab some antibiotic from the TSC tonight and see if that helps.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Popped a chicken tonight for the holiday and man, this little dark cornish cross dude was in great shape.

One of my pyrenees took a spurt of blood across the face to decorate herself with, as per usual. Dog delights in it.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

from reddit

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Or from three posts ago. Fortunately for you, it's such a good pic it's worth seeing twice, so you won't lose your posting license today.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Popped a chicken tonight for the holiday and man, this little dark cornish cross dude was in great shape.

One of my pyrenees took a spurt of blood across the face to decorate herself with, as per usual. Dog delights in it.
the first (and last :negative:) time i ever butchered a quail, i threw the guts to my tinydog and my big plymouth rock rooster kicked him out of the way and ate them

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

goddammit im blind sorry haha

here's some soothing peeping from my little babies in apologia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRKq_tAxWs0

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 2, 2018

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

hope and vaseline posted:

goddammit im blind sorry haha

here's some soothing peeping from my little babies in apologia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRKq_tAxWs0

:glomp: those peeps

Also don't be sorry, I was just teasing you, and it really is a great pic. :shobon:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

avshalemon posted:

the first (and last :negative:) time i ever butchered a quail, i threw the guts to my tinydog and my big plymouth rock rooster kicked him out of the way and ate them

I'll be 100% honest and say: if a chicken dies in the chicken area (and it does happen from time to time) I usually come out to a curiously pecked-at body. It won't be like, fully consumed but it's not fully there either. They really tend to like eyes.

If my eggs get a little small I'll grab some beef from the grocery store, cook it and chuck it to them. They go gently caress wild.

E: I was raising mealworms but somehow hosed that up. I don't even know how I did that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Ok, I have some questions....

A week ago, I moved to a condo. It's a 55 and up Condo but they were ok with a crippled 34 year old buying a spot. It's a very quiet community.

I have a giant back patio with about a six foot fence around it. The bottom of the fence is covered with a latticework, so nothing can get in bigger than a snake.

I live in Portland. It gets cold.

Would keeping a few egg laying quail be foolish? Could I build a coop my father wouldn't find obnoxious? (My legs don't work so I live with my Pops, it's a good set up.)