Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

nooneofconsequence posted:

Why the hell doesn't anyone make a wide lifting shoe?
I have romaleo 2s and I have a 5E or wider foot.

Sometimes between later sets in longer squat sessions I need to take my slightly wider foot out of them to rest a bit, but other than that they fit okay.

I agree that it's bullshit you can't find stuff in wide, but you can't really find normal shoes in wide either. Hiking boots, yeah (merell moab2 wides are excellent), nike monarchs which are real ugly imo but come in 4E and run wide, yeah, but other than that I've never found shoes that fit me. I usually just size up normal shoes and deal with potential bending near the tip and occasionally looking like an idiot who trips over his own two feet (especially true for formal shoes, I've yet to find good wide ones).

My romaleo 2s are 11.5 or so and I measure for a 10-10.5 (even in 4E I tend to go 10.5). I bought them after they stopped making them so I opted for the cheapest color scheme, which was neon yellow and neon pink. People with non-flipper feet usually describe them as "really heavy and wide, and stable".

The adipowers might work for you. They're kinda narrow by design but doable for squatting. Excellent shoe, it will stretch a bit to fit your foot. I had the adipowers in ~12 and it was kind of okay, but they are way too narrow at the toe box and ~1" of my foot spilled over the side near the middle of my foot. I could probably still squat fine in them. I was stable, and the design of the shoe is excellent. They feel really light and stable compared to what I had before (rogue/pendlay dowins, which I dislike compared to adipowers and romaleo 2s despite them being wider than the adipowers).

Also, never buy the brand "asic". I had a size loving 13.5 and couldn't get my 10.5 foot in.

Now tell me where I can get a wide and flat shoe. I can't fit into chucks, I currently have the mark bell reeboks but they started falling apart after six months and are too narrow anyway, and that's about all I know.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I got a pair of Lite TRs a couple years ago on sale and they split down the side of the leather the first month I had them. I patched them with some shoegoo and canvas and still use them because they're comfortable.

Also New Balance makes decent duckfeet shaped walking/work shoes and Sketchers of all people make a good wide work boot that doesn't cost $200+.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Guyver posted:

I got a pair of Lite TRs a couple years ago on sale and they split down the side of the leather the first month I had them. I patched them with some shoegoo and canvas and still use them because they're comfortable.all people make a good wide work boot that doesn't cost $200+.
I'll try this out. Mine are coming apart near the toes. They're still functional. I also need to replace the laces.

They actually work great for gym stuff. They don't function so well in rain or snow. In fact, they are the only shoe I've ever owned that gets real wet in even the lightest rain.

This amazon review of shoegoo is great. If my shoes looked like that I'd be reaching for a trash can instead of some shoegoo.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 23, 2018

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Khorne posted:

I have romaleo 2s and I have a 5E or wider foot.

Thanks. Any idea how the 3s compare? Having a hard time finding 2s in my size at a non-absurd price and I'm seeing reviews that say the 3s are narrower than the 2s.

Guyver posted:

Also New Balance makes decent duckfeet shaped walking/work shoes and Sketchers of all people make a good wide work boot that doesn't cost $200+.
Like 95% of my shoes have been NB since I was 12.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

nooneofconsequence posted:

Thanks. Any idea how the 3s compare? Having a hard time finding 2s in my size at a non-absurd price and I'm seeing reviews that say the 3s are narrower than the 2s.
I have no idea. And yeah, it was hard to find them 8 months ago. I can't imagine now.

These were the cheapest 2s I could find at the time.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Khorne posted:

especially true for formal shoes, I've yet to find good wide ones

Rockport's X-Wide shoes have worked for me, and they have some passable styles of dress shoe.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
all reports i have heard abt romaleos was that the 3s made no improvement whatsoever on the 2s and were in fact shittier build quality and prone to falling apart. romaleo 2s are the better shoe.l

the owner of my gym got the 3s and said he was disappointed

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Don't skip leg day.

https://i.imgur.com/YuLFWbY.mp4

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

i will never be able to turn my legs into the agrocrag

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Looking at Usain Bolt's workout on youtube, as well as the usual leg work you'd expect, the guy really likes training abs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SteLm_-jWb8

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
I imagine you need a loving strong core to transfer all the momentum from your upper body down to your legs.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Sounds like there are a lot of people itt who need to start deadlifting in boat shoes

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Airbrush your socks to look like shoes and wear those to the gym.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Jove Tone posted:

I used to go to the gym at 2am-3am or so, and I'd deadlift in socks sometimes.

The only time it worked out poorly was when I setup for sumo and tapped the tip of my toes against the plates like I tend to do with shoes. No problem on the way up, but I realized I couldn't actually put the bar down at lockout.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Jove Tone posted:

?

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Or just do what I did and wait till around Feb and start stalking the local Iwanna/craigslist for all the shmucks who spent a ton of money on freeweights and equipment for their new years resolution but stop a few weeks in. Build your own gym and lift in high heels you loving wierdo no one can stop you now.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i only lift naked so i know ive squatted deep enough when my balls touch the floor

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
finding plates for fifty cents a pound on cl is the bomb

also found a six month old concept 2 rower for 300 but I was a couple hours too late to snag it rip

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

I got around 100lbs of those stupid plate weights that only fit on those threaded dumbell/french curl bar for free cause the dudes wife made him get rid of them.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Just moved into a new place with a detached garage and I'm planning on making it my bicep training hut this fall/winter. Only vanity lifts allowed

Also squatted 405 for the first time last night. I'm a big boy now

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

MikeCrotch posted:

Sounds like there are a lot of people itt who need to start deadlifting in boat shoes
don't deadlift in olympic shoes

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

barkbell posted:

finding plates for fifty cents a pound on cl is the bomb

also found a six month old concept 2 rower for 300 but I was a couple hours too late to snag it rip

fuuuuck I spent weeks checking cl for a reasonably priced concept and gave up.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

feelix posted:

don't deadlift in olympic shoes

yeah, thats what he said. lift in sperrys w/ no socks like legendary fat man chad wesley smith of Juggernaut fame

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I deadlift in toe shoes they're great.

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
Just deadlift

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
I deadlift in my Powerlift 3s since I don't want to change my shoes during a workout

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Killing Loaf posted:

I deadlift in my Powerlift 3s since I don't want to change my shoes during a workout

thats dumb

if your gym doesnt let you take your shoes off to deadlift then thats also loving dumb

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Helios Grime posted:

I imagine you need a loving strong core to transfer all the momentum from your upper body down to your legs.

Maybe he likes having great abs.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Sludge Tank posted:

thats dumb

if your gym doesnt let you take your shoes off to deadlift then thats also loving dumb

It's not that dumb, who cares if your pull distance isn't the absolute minimal it could be, he's just training "deadlift in oly shoes" instead of "deadlift", for general strength training who cares which one he trains

Unless you're training for a PL meet it doesn't matter

I pretend that I'm training for a PL meet and make sure to only deadlift in flat shoes but I recognize it's all ego

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
im not even talking about the distance. the optimal way to train a deadlift is barefoot

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Killing Loaf posted:

Same (but 2.0s).

I do take my shoes off for leg presses though I'm just realising that's a bit weird.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
deadlifting with a heel doesnt seem like a good idea

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
its incredibly not a big deal considering some people oly lift more weight from the floor in oly shoes than most goons can dream of hitting

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
at least im not doing them wearing my actual weightlifting shoes (1" heel) lmao

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
merrell vapor glove is a nice shoe to lift in

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Time posted:

its incredibly not a big deal considering some people oly lift more weight from the floor in oly shoes than most goons can dream of hitting

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Sludge Tank posted:

im not even talking about the distance. the optimal way to train a deadlift is barefoot

Only if your goal is to lift the maximum amount of weight barefoot. It's not even the optimal way to train for a powerlifting competition because you are required to wear shoes in those. If you're just training for general strength then it doesn't freaking matter

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Sludge Tank posted:

Only if your goal is to lift the maximum amount of weight barefoot. It's not even the optimal way to train for a powerlifting competition because you are required to wear shoes in those. If you're just training for general strength then it doesn't freaking matter

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Sludge Tank posted:

deadlifting with a heel doesnt seem like a good idea

why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
It's actually better as you do small deficit deadlifts every time, which then makes you stronger in the long run. :boom: