Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

badjohny posted:

Fix available now.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/24/2018-macbook-pro-throttling-bug-fix/

Going to be interesting to see how this changes things.

Following extensive performance testing under numerous workloads, we've identified that there is a missing digital key in the firmware that impacts the thermal management system and could drive clock speeds down under heavy thermal loads on the new MacBook Pro.

A bug fix is included in today's macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Supplemental Update and is recommended. We apologize to any customer who has experienced less than optimal performance on their new systems.

Customers can expect the new 15-inch MacBook Pro to be up to 70% faster, and the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar to be up to 2X faster, as shown in the performance results on our website.

Round 2 of videos incoming...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Phthisis posted:

I've been thinking of picking up a new MacBook Pro to upgrade from my 2013 rMBP.

How good/bad of an idea is this?

The current one I'm using was a base model 13", and I'd be looking to get a touchbar 13" with the i7 and 16 GB RAM. Is the CPU throttling present on the 13" models and that big of a deal? 99% of the time I'm only using Mail/Terminal/Chrome/Messages/iTunes so I wouldn't exactly be taxing the machine, but I obviously don't want to be paying the premium on MBPs if the performance isn't going to be up to par at the times that I actually care.

I also have a 2013 rMBP and you might want to wait honestly. I'm waiting to see how all this throttling stuff works out and the 2013 is still chugging along pretty drat well for being a 5 year old machine.

Also the new OS might breathe some new life into the machine (or make it come to a screeching halt lol)

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

"missing digital key"

lmao

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Apple is making so much money for YouTubers

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

redeyes posted:

Steve Jobs thought he could cure cancer by rubbing crystals and whatever. Not the smartest guy. He was a great salesman though.

Nah. He did think he could vegetarianism his way to being cancer-free tho, and only for a short time until it became obvious that he needed actual medical care. Goons love to wax on about how that led him to ignore it until it was too late but that’s honestly really debatable and kind of unprovable. Liverpancreatic cancer is a beast and it usually kills people sooner or later, unless they start aggressive treatment when it’s like Stage 1-2, which is almost never caught unless you happen to have a palpable mass or are specifically looking for tumor markers in your routine blood test.

:science: In any case, huge courses of chemo suck and can occasionally kill (and at minimum they destroy quality of life) and tend to dramatically decrease lifespan even if the patient gets cured, so there’s a kernel of merit to the growing pushback against “let’s just chemo and irradiate the poo poo out of you, cool?” courses of treatment, particularly for cancers with really bad predicted outcomes where maybe having a smaller amount of good time in life is better than an extra year or two of agony. That’s also why the future is probably in way smaller courses of chemo + gene therapy/antibody therapy.

Jobs was definitely an rear end in a top hat and he was loudly and publicly wrong about a lot of poo poo but these forums still have a truly weird amount of venom for the guy, beyond the standard “eat the rich” mentality (that I also ascribe to). A lot of goons love to point out how he apparently never donated to charity, which is false. In fact his wife gave like $200k to beat Joe Arpaio back in 2016- which is about as admirable a cause as I can think of.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 24, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Liver cancer is a beast

Did he have liver cancer too? I only heard about the pancreatic.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Did he have liver cancer too? I only heard about the pancreatic.

Yeah, the liver cancer is news to me. He definitely died of pancreatic cancer.

Also, he wasn’t just a vegetarian, but a fruititarian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruitarianism

quote:

Actor Ashton Kutcher was hospitalized and said that his pancreas levels went "all out of whack" after following a fruitarian diet in preparation for his role playing Apple Inc. CEO and onetime fruitarian Steve Jobs, in the film Jobs. Jobs died of pancreatic cancer.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

The Apple diet is ultimately what killed Jobs. The Apple logo wasn't conjuring up Turing but foreshadowing Jobs demise.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I'm installing the update. I'll report back with more unscientific tests.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, the liver cancer is news to me. He definitely died of pancreatic cancer.

Also, he wasn’t just a vegetarian, but a fruititarian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruitarianism

Sorry, you’re right. He died of pancreatic cancer (which is even more aggressive/fatal) but it spread to his liver, which is what he ended up getting transplanted.

And yeah, fruitarianism is a hell of a diet. Good god, all that sugar.....

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

lol this is gonna be the exact same thing as the 2017 MBP when there was some bug affecting battery life and everyone wrote breathless articles on how "apple has lost it's way" and "can't believe they would make a laptop with such terrible battery life" and everyone swore up and down this was a severe hardware defect that could not be fixed via software and even consumer reports said it was poo poo and apple went "whoops, here's a firmware patch" and the laptops were fine and went back to normal and everyone forgot about it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jobs would have entered that firmware setting himself.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

FCKGW posted:

lol this is gonna be the exact same thing as the 2017 MBP when there was some bug affecting battery life and everyone wrote breathless articles on how "apple has lost it's way" and "can't believe they would make a laptop with such terrible battery life" and everyone swore up and down this was a severe hardware defect that could not be fixed via software and even consumer reports said it was poo poo and apple went "whoops, here's a firmware patch" and the laptops were fine and went back to normal and everyone forgot about it

"Just drill here to reveal the hidden USB ports and SD card slot"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Except Linus. Linus will never forget it and will bring it up in every review that could tangentially involve a mention of Apple until 2020. If he gave Apple half the level of leeway/benefit of the doubt that he gives to, say- Razer, he’d be a 9to5 Mac reviewer.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

linus is a doorknob and i don't know what people see in that guy

eames
May 9, 2009

Please hide the digital key from Jony, lest he will use it to make the next MBP even thinner

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

He’s adorable .

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

computers were a mistake

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Jobs would have entered that firmware setting himself.

The Mac team probably spent the last week hustling on double-time to get this out and do damage control. If Jobs was around it probably would’ve been done a few days earlier, but only because he’d have been screaming at them and calling them assholes the entire time.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

FCKGW posted:

I ordered an 2018 MBP to replace my slowly dying mid-2012 rMBP and when chatting with a much more hardware-savvy person than I and he predicted that Apple would have a firmware patch and welp here we are! Just in time for my new machine to arrive tomorrow. :toot:

I still need to decide what to do with this one, it seems okay-ish though the fan gets a bit loud and occasionally there'll be a flash of sort of a dark graphical glitch along the bottom 1/3 of the screen, which makes me concerned that if I give it to someone it'll just crap out soon enough.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Testing with your early adopting user base is efficient as poo poo from a cost standpoint.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Sorry, you’re right. He died of pancreatic cancer (which is even more aggressive/fatal) but it spread to his liver, which is what he ended up getting transplanted.

And yeah, fruitarianism is a hell of a diet. Good god, all that sugar.....

He very specifically had a cancer that occurs in the pancreas but is not the normal pancreatic, 98% chance of death in 2 years cancer. All they had to do was chop a lobe of his pancreas off and he was almost guaranteed total recovery. He refused surgery. Forget all the fruit enema bullshit, the doctors told him we can open you up and take something out and you will live and Steve Jobs told them that he would rather die.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Testing with your early adopting user base is efficient as poo poo from a cost standpoint.

see: Microsoft's company-wide software development process

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Good Will Hrunting posted:

This is very true. My company kicked out some free (as in beer) software a year ago well before it was ready for primetime and I was shocked to see how dedicated the early adopter base is to putting up with just showstopping bugs or infrastructure issues -- "yeah server #145 was down and all data from that time frame is lost, sorry y'all -- that's why it says 'Beta' in small text on the website"

Like, it was free so they can't really rage out that they spent good money on bad software, but if I was in that situation I'd say gently caress It and move on at least.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Thank god they fixed this. I'll be interested to see the difference tonight.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I just played a big battle in Total War: WARHAMMER and a skirmish in Battletech, both of which made the graph jump around like crazy before. With the update installed it was smooth sailing.

And I'm in a warehouse with no air conditioning in 83f degree weather.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Geez, now I can recommend the 2018 rMBPs instead of slouching my shoulders and saying 'Eh'

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm assuming this makes a big difference for i7s as well?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ars put up a review...but I'm guessing the patch wasn't applied so the performance increases might be even greater?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/07/2018-15-inch-macbook-pro-review-better-faster-stronger-throttle-ier/2/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Crosspost from yesterday in the iPad thread. I’m glad the throttling issue seems to have been resolved but:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I’d be concerned that the silicone membrane will start to deteriorate and become grody and affect the keyboard performance after a short while. While I understand that it (hopefully) improves some of the butterfly keyboard’s shortcomings, I imagine that it would become a real failure point (or at least dramatically change the typing experience) in like 2-4 years. At that point I doubt Apple would still be offering free replacements.

I feel like every silicone object I’ve owned (cases, straps, etc) eventually starts to chemically change as it’s exposed to heat/air/oil/time/etc regardless of its initial quality or cost. They become brittle and sticky and begin to deform or gum up until they have to go into the garbage.

The oldest Mac in my possession is 11 years old, and while the battery is shot, it’s still functional. Similarly, my parents have a 9 year old iMac that they aren’t interested in replacing until it dies. On the one hand, I feel like Apple has historically prided itself on making computers that people hold onto for much longer than Windows machines but, on the other, they’re also quite willing to push in a direction of decreased longevity for the sake of thinness and probably to subtly push people to upgrade more frequently.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Every keyboard should have a condom TBH

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Every keyboard should have a condom TBH

Condoms have an expiration date.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Over There posted:

I'm assuming this makes a big difference for i7s as well?

It does for me!

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Crosspost from yesterday in the iPad thread. I’m glad the throttling issue seems to have been resolved but:

Wasn't the official line a couple of years ago that their lifetime usecase scenario is 2 years for an iPhone and 4(?) for a Mac?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

FCKGW posted:

Gotta get those clickbait hits somehow!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Apple needs to release an update to make my 2016 mbp go into "Ludicrous Mode" and light my nuts on fire

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Housh posted:

Apple needs to release an update to make my 2016 mbp go into "Ludicrous Mode" and light my nuts on fire

While we’re discussing Musk-ian business strategies: No joke, if I were an Apple VP I’d make the upcoming Mac Pro carry on the best traits of the cheese grater in an updated/more compact package.

Then I’d make a scaled down version (Core i7/i9 instead of Xeon, less beefy bundled GPU/roll your own option) with swappable colorful accents a la iPod Nano colors to come in at $1500-$2500 sans display. Call it the Mac Sport and aim it at gamers/hobbyists.

At the same time drop $1-2 bil. on getting the Mac OS gaming ecosystem up to snuff by investing in developers/sharing resources/sending engineers to help with optimization/building better partnerships with GPU makers so that drivers don’t suck and then sponsor some appropriately inclusive and diverse esports teams to rep the brand. Sell branded gear like track jackets or backpacks in Apple stores in the place where they currently keep those lovely iOS gaming grips. Jony’s apparently a huge motorsports fan so these could probably come out looking pretty good, unlike literally every other “gamer” thing.

Drop it all in 3 years when NVidia/Steam/Xbox? streaming services mature to the point that nobody cares and everyone plays whatever they want on their 12” MacBook or iPad and GPUs are rendered irrelevant for gaming for everybody except build enthusiasts.

It would beat the embarrassing token “here’s somebody from EA doing some stuff on a $3k iMac, see Apple cares about games that aren’t on iOS” bit they do every year.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 24, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like how this issue seems similar to one that came out about an Aliens vs Predator game recently, despite being years old. Turns out a single typo in a config file completely broke the AI in the enemies and nobody realized for ages (it got bad reviews for other reasons, but apparently fixing this at least makes it playable now).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It was Aliens Colonial Marines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth