Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If you can't use a laptop on your own, you can't work remotely. Sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sefal posted:

4X9 was great. The 3 day weekend was bliss. I'd even go 4x10 if i could at this job.

Caught up on my e-mail last week. it's been quiet.
Glad I managed to convince my boss to get me a pluralsight account.

2 years ago we had a Nuggets account, last year we scrapped this and got a Pluralsight, this year we’re going with Udemy.

I think we must be slowly going out of business or something?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

nexus6 posted:

Job #1: Open office except director who had his own office
Job #2: Open office except CEO who had his own office
Job #3: Open office except senior staff who had their own offices
Job #4: Open office, nobody had their own office
Job #5: Open office except managing director who had a desk separate from everyone else
Current job: Open office except senior staff who have their own offices

Whaddaya know

So do they use Libreoffice or just Microsoft Office?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Does anyone here deal with F5 BIG-IP?

We use it for load balancing and SSL offloading for our IIS sites. I'm not the main person who manages it but I have to touch it every now and again. It seems to be a huge loving hassle to add new websites (ex. a subdomain on an existing site) into the config, with my coworker spending days getting everything configured. From my limited knowledge of this system, we should be using iApps to streamline a lot of this stuff, but we are not. More and more I get the feeling that we're doing something wrong with our setup, or there's a better way of doing things.

I'm close to proposing an consulting engagement with the VAR who sells us our licenses but I want to be a little more certain before overturning the cart.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I worked at a startup that had an open office plan. Of course C-Levels had their own offices. This was bonus hilarity because I did training and support. So I'd be in the middle of a webinar and someone would yell IT'S ALMOST HAPPY HOUR, WHO'S GONNA DO SHOTS WITH ME? or some poo poo. I finally got to borrow a large closet for when I was doing live support or training.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

The Macaroni posted:

I worked at a startup that had an open office plan. Of course C-Levels had their own offices. This was bonus hilarity because I did training and support. So I'd be in the middle of a webinar and someone would yell IT'S ALMOST HAPPY HOUR, WHO'S GONNA DO SHOTS WITH ME? or some poo poo. I finally got to borrow a large closet for when I was doing live support or training.

Yeah stuff like this is why I viscerally hate open floor plans. A few years ago I was on with a seriously (and rightfully) pissed off customer and the manager of an adjacent department started yelling (I mean YELLING) at a Wizards playoff game. He's a really good guy and shut the gently caress up when I called him out, but people forget that just because your department isn't busy doesn't mean no one in the room is. I'd mind it a lot less if each team or even department had their own open office area - it is good for collaboration and working together - but something like 10 different teams across three departments is just asking for problems.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. So not only do we have an open office plan, we're a remote office so we spend a lot of time on calls to the main HQ. Other people making noise/playing loud songs is obnoxious enough but we often do video calls so you get idiots in the background too.

We are also encouraged to call clients directly. No need to have a Project manager or Client Services team for that- you do backend work, you also manage the client. And the whole project too.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

We use it for load balancing and SSL offloading for our IIS sites. I'm not the main person who manages it but I have to touch it every now and again. It seems to be a huge loving hassle to add new websites

Yeah it's a pain. The interface is awful and gets complicated when having to add root and intermediate certs. But to be fair I inherited a messy configuration that's made it complicated to manage.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
"Hey my pc is slow, do you know why"

"Sure i'll have a look"

*4 different adobe programs open, multiple instances of each one*

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

dogstile posted:

"Hey my pc is slow, do you know why"

"Sure i'll have a look"

*4 different adobe programs open, multiple instances of each one*

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I need all this stuff to do my job!

Well you have 37 emails open

That's my to do list!

I hate workflow problems especially with C-levels who refuse to change it and will complain about hardware every week when their workflow breaks, again.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

wolrah posted:

Of course in reality just like with a RAID system it's always better to properly offline the component being replaced through the OS because there can still be unexpected hiccups if you just yank the hardware out.
Speaking of RAID I'm reminded of one of the higher end ProLiant servers back in the day had its memory in RAID-4 configuration. It had I believe 5 modules accessible from the front, each module housing a number of DIMMs, and the modules were hot swappable.

Don't know how well it worked or if anyone else ever adopted a similar system. I guess with IT generally moving away from single large servers to clusters and distributed/microservices the need for maximum reliability for a single server disappeared.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 24, 2018

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
NetSuite has been down since about 7am and that is getting pretty irritating

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

tactlessbastard posted:

NetSuite has been down since about 7am and that is getting pretty irritating

We're up....you must be in the NA East datacenter. Had some slowdowns though

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

We're up....you must be in the NA East datacenter. Had some slowdowns though

code:
system.na1.netsuite.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 503
looks like it!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

tactlessbastard posted:

code:
system.na1.netsuite.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 503
looks like it!

:smugdog:

namol
Mar 21, 2007

We use it for load balancing and SSL offloading for our IIS sites. I'm not the main person who manages it but I have to touch it every now and again. It seems to be a huge loving hassle to add new websites (ex. a subdomain on an existing site) into the config, with my coworker spending days getting everything configured. From my limited knowledge of this system, we should be using iApps to streamline a lot of this stuff, but we are not. More and more I get the feeling that we're doing something wrong with our setup, or there's a better way of doing things.

I'm close to proposing an consulting engagement with the VAR who sells us our licenses but I want to be a little more certain before overturning the cart.

I work with ours daily and it takes like 3 minutes to add a new site / subdomain to something. Perhaps the issue lies with the person doing the config? We typically use iapps pretty much for anything just to make management of the system easier.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
poo poo not pissing me off [surprisingly]: Comcast

Ordered a service move from my old house to my new house And they bumped me to 70/10 with a net decrease in price.

Not only that but the cutover went easy-peasy with only four hours of downtime and they actually managed to preserve my static IP addresses and my phone number this time.

I literally don’t know what to do with myself now. I had been mentally gearing up to do battle with their support all day.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Agrikk posted:

I literally don’t know what to do with myself now. I had been mentally gearing up to do battle with their support all day.

Maybe call them and say thankyou. They probably don't get it very often.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Agrikk posted:

poo poo not pissing me off [surprisingly]: Comcast

Ordered a service move from my old house to my new house And they bumped me to 70/10 with a net decrease in price.

Not only that but the cutover went easy-peasy with only four hours of downtime and they actually managed to preserve my static IP addresses and my phone number this time.

poo poo really pissing me off: Comcast, today they took 12 of our boxes, moved them to a new account number, and deactivated them this morning for no discernible reason.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
And thus the karmic balance stays even.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Get to wait for the Spectrum internet guy to come over my house after work today and replace my modem. Ain't had no drat internet since Saturday.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When we moved last year, we thought the transition of our account to a new address went well, for about two weeks. Then every recording on our X1 dvr disappeared and they couldn't give us a reason why. They told us to reboot the cable box and wait 24 hours for four days straight. When our patience ran out and we demanded a real answer they said they'd escalate and get someone to look deeper. Four days later of badgering them for a response (they claimed they'd call us back in a few hours) they sent an email stating the recordings had been deleted and closed the ticket.

I don't expect the dvr to have daily incremental backups so I can access them in perpetuity, but if you're gonna dick me around for a week and not even muster an apology, you can gently caress off forever.

We canceled our phone and tv with them, still stuck with their internet because there is no other option available.

to;dr: just because your move seems to be working well now, Comcast can still find a way to gently caress you over

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I’ve actually always had a pretty easy time with Comcast, I guess I’m just lucky. They didn’t even give me much trouble cancelling. I guess when I told them I had $50 gigabit internet and countered their “oh are you sure it’s actually fiber with “yes, and I tested it at 940mbps” they knew there wasn’t really anywhere to go from there.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I’ve actually always had a pretty easy time with Comcast, I guess I’m just lucky. They didn’t even give me much trouble cancelling. I guess when I told them I had $50 gigabit internet and countered their “oh are you sure it’s actually fiber with “yes, and I tested it at 940mbps” they knew there wasn’t really anywhere to go from there.

You must be in an area where they have competition.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If you tell them flat out that they have to beat a price, retention people seem to let you go. I had the same thing happen when I canceled my cable package.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This, I never have trouble with them, though I use them for internet only and have my own modem and router, but every time I've had to call them I just tell them I did X,Y,Z and it's definitely a problem with their lines or whatever.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
How your Comcast experience goes 100% depends on the tech you get on the other end of the phone. I've run the gamut from so grotesquely incompetent I've hung up and called back to get someone else, to completely competent professionals who solve my problem in 10 minutes. To be fair with anywhere between 40-45 cable boxes under my watch I probably deal with them more often than most people, boxes die way more often than you'd think, and they gently caress up billing and activation constantly. I had one month where I spent 40 of my 152 hours in the office on the phone with them.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Inspector_666 posted:

If you tell them flat out that they have to beat a price, retention people seem to let you go. I had the same thing happen when I canceled my cable package.

I've actually had the opposite experience when trying to "cancel". I tell them the price they need to beat and let them "persuade" me over, acting like I'm on the fence. It's not an ultimatum that way, it's a competing offer. This only works if they can beat the offer in either price or value of course.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Zil posted:

You must be in an area where they have competition.

Yeah, my choices are Comcast or high-latency via either 4g or satellite. I'd happily pay more per Mbps to not have Comcast, but alas. Internet only, when NFL/NHL is in season I just subscribe to Slingbox or PSVue.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Yeah, my choices are Comcast or high-latency via either 4g or satellite. I'd happily pay more per Mbps to not have Comcast, but alas. Internet only, when NFL/NHL is in season I just subscribe to Slingbox or PSVue.

My choice is Spectrum or ATT. So overpriced 100mbs service or DSL with data caps. :911:

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I'm going through the training labs for SCCM and came across this:

I know the search function in win10 is handled by the Cortana App, but come on. Just call it the search bar. :colbert:

Not pissing me off: I get to sit at home all week and take this course. First time I've had any sort of training or course paid for by my employer. It's nice.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

My company is mandating that I take a certain cert, ok cool I'm fine with that, when do you want it done by? 2 months from now (this was a month ago)
Ok well this is an actual big boy cert not some dumb A+ garbage, you want me to start studying and then pass the cert in 2 months? yes
How much time during work are you going to provide me with to do this? ..... this should only take 40 hours to finish their provided material + some lab hours, you can do it between your normal work.

Yup, ok, nice half-baked plan, eat a dick if you think I'm studying for this outside of work, I haven't even had time to shore up my studying for the CCNA in my non-working hours. Gonna be real cool when everyone fails the test, there are like 10 of us that are being required to do this, of those 10 there are like 4 of us that have a decent baseline knowledge with the information to begin with from working on them day-to-day, but that only covers maybe 50% of the material, the other half is stuff that we don't even do anything with ever.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

You should have one virtual server per backend server cluster and do name based virtualhosts on the backend (which, I assume, you're doing anyway). Essentially you want one VIP, which you can point all your DNS at, and then it just handles the actual load balancing and SSL offloading but doesn't contain any application intelligence. Then, to add a website, you simply create the DNS entries, point it at the VIP, and you are gucci.

This relies on not using port-based virtualhosts or running multiple daemons on the backend though, which is getting a bit dicey now that everyone is running containers for everything.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

namol posted:

I work with ours daily and it takes like 3 minutes to add a new site / subdomain to something. Perhaps the issue lies with the person doing the config? We typically use iapps pretty much for anything just to make management of the system easier.

That’s the thing, we don’t use iApps at all so I suspect we’re just going about something wrong. I’ve never personally been involved with setting up new sites, and tbh the two most recent ones were the first in a long time.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
Technical debt keeps biting us in the rear end but the Product team has decided that all QA automation work is tech debt work, so we shouldn't be allowed to actually fix up poor infrastructural decisions in the code as we follow a 50/30/20 features/bugs/tech debt system.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

buttchugging adderall posted:

Technical debt keeps biting us in the rear end but the Product team has decided that all QA automation work is tech debt work, so we shouldn't be allowed to actually fix up poor infrastructural decisions in the code as we follow a 50/30/20 features/bugs/tech debt system.

:psyduck:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

buttchugging adderall posted:

:allbuttons:

We just got a memo last week reminding us that the priority order is: Secure, Stable, Features and at any time you can pull the “site reliability card” on Product with a big gently caress off on features if needed.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Printers.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Some cheap-rear end fucker here went with the lowest bidder on a security camera setup.

So they're always contacting IT about it. "The cameras aren't working..." or "I can't get into the DVR..."

Sure enough, something stupid happened. The company was here doing something and didn't plug cameras back in, or they didn't turn the server back on, or they installed a temporary 60 day license which expired...

"Why does this system suck? Why do we have to call you guys all the time?"

Somewhere along the line, management linked this to being our fault.

You went with the lowest bidder. Everyone that works there is an idiot. Why you are trying to blame us for something we didn't spec out, purchase, install, or setup?

They also put up a fight when I made them buy their own PoE switches. You're not getting the ports I had to fight and pay for and need for our network. You can have one port on each switch and then buy a $60 TP Link switch for your cameras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I think the worst part of that is if you go "you loving idiots, let me do it" its then your problem, but if you don't do that, then you're "not a team player".