Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Oscar Wild posted:

https://twitter.com/ihatejoelkim/status/1021535652859404288?s=19

Crowdfunding is a better use of resources than government taxing and billing for healthcare. Prove me wrong.

Taxing is high level crowdfunding where it doesn't go anywhere you want, need, or intend. And it's compulsory. So... yeah? In a hell world society, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Taxing is high level crowdfunding where it doesn't go anywhere you want, need, or intend. And it's compulsory. So... yeah? In a hell world society, yeah.

Crowdfunding allows a more efficient way to get resources (money) to where it is needed. The big government is rife with waste and shouldn't be responsible for all its citizens getting health care. Crowdfunding allows us to save those who merit saving. Let the people decide.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Oscar Wild posted:

Crowdfunding allows a more efficient way to get resources (money) to where it is needed. The big government is rife with waste and shouldn't be responsible for all its citizens getting health care. Crowdfunding allows us to save those who merit saving. Let the people decide.

Everyone merits saving hth

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Crowsbeak posted:

Is that from Do the Right Thing?

Yup! Wanted to find a decent gif of the Malcolm X/MLK photo in the burning pizzeria, but close enough

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Rarity posted:

That depends on your net worth.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Oscar Wild posted:

That depends on your net worth.

Human life is not valued in currency, comrade

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rarity posted:

Human life is not valued in currency, comrade

Do you know where you are at? What day is it?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Rarity posted:

I can tell your heart's in the right place but no, goodness no.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Burt Sexual posted:

Do you know where you are at? What day is it?

WHO IS THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES?

*screams incoherently at doctor*

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

kuddles posted:

The fact that laissez-faire capitalism continues to be seen as a viable political structure by anyone is far and away the most baffling thing about our society. People nod their head whenever someone talks about "red tape" and how we should "deregulate" an industry despite the fact that time and time again the industry moves to ruin people's lives if not outright allowing them to be killed if it gets them an extra $1 a year by day one of doing that.
it's not really baffling when you realize a mass system of propaganda through education , academia, media, and politics is used to convince people to support this system
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILQepXUhJ98
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF8DsIVWDcs

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

ate all the Oreos posted:

The original picture someone said "cryingindian.jpg" to that started this all was taken in Mumbai

gently caress I'm glad someone got what I thought was very obvious.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Oscar Wild posted:

Crowdfunding allows a more efficient way to get resources (money) to where it is needed.

Not necessarily, as people will crowdfund poo poo that doesn't actually need funding. *need* has nothing to do with it, more on this later. Additionally, you need to consider that the companies facilitating this crowdfunding (Patreon, GoFundMe, etc) all take a cut from the top. Last I checked, GoFundMe takes 15%. So basically you're now paying 15% directly into the pockets of a private party in order to "efficiently" move money to where it is "needed."

Oscar Wild posted:

The big government is rife with waste and shouldn't be responsible for all its citizens getting health care.

Any large organization is going to have inefficiency and waste. There's nothing inherent to government that makes it be more wasteful than a private corporation. "Balancing the budget" is for morons who don't understand the Modern Monetary Theory underpinning our entire financial system for decades.

Oscar Wild posted:

Let the people decide.

Which is why we ostensibly have a democracy. We *do* decide, in theory. Referring back to the "need:" Crowd funding allows people to pick and choose what *they* individually care about the most regardless of social need. This allows them to entirely skip the democratic way of people deciding where the money goes and lets them just give money directly to pet causes. If we had no taxes for social programs and relying on charity instead and then Bezos and Gates decide you know what gently caress poor people we care about neutering dogs and that's what our billions will go to - well great we'll get dog overpopulation under control maybe at the cost of millions of humans suffering because Bezos and Gates decided completely on their own that cute dogs are more important. Or let's not tax Apple or Steve Jobs (while he was alive) and he can spend that tax money on anti-vaxxer homeopathic fruit peddlers instead of contributing to a healthcare system.

This whole argument is fundamentally a modern take on the old "charity can take care of the social safety net, it isn't government's job to force people to do it." Okay except charity has shown to be wildly insufficient. If "charity will take care of it" then the billionaire class should be happy to donate enough to pay for healthcare for at least their own employees but they don't. Basically, you're taking an ideological idea as a fact (charity can pay for it all) and then condemning millions of people who won't get any.

More to the point it's another form of "why should I, a rich person, care about society as a whole? It's my money and I want to choose what is done with it 100%. And if some people suffer for that, well they aren't entitled to what I have and they should have done better." You're also being a naive moron if you think rich people will just give that tax money to properly vetted charities instead of using it to further entrench the status quo and their own wealth.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 20:41 on Jul 24, 2018

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
morondin why are you writing paragraphs at trolls

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why even have wages? We should trust our benevolent CEOs to give their employees as much pay as their work merits

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tetracube posted:

Why even have wages? We should trust our benevolent CEOs to give their employees as much pay as their work merits

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mercrom posted:

morondin why are you writing paragraphs at trolls

It's not even a troll, Oscar was joking.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Sad thing is I know a lot of people who think their wages would go up if we got rid of minimum wage and all workers rights.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Elderbean posted:

Sad thing is I know a lot of people who think their wages would go up if we got rid of minimum wage and all workers rights.

How exactly?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Note how there are no fat children. One even has the money for a fob and chain and maybe there is pocket watch so he can track his productivity. Ahhhhhh, the pocket watch; it's the historic equivalent of the fitbit and GPS monitoring they do in the Amazon mines.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

"I'm not one of those ~poors~ who earn minimum wage, so by cutting their wages my boss will be able to give me that money instead, since I'm a hard worker who can't be replaced by the end of the day."

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Even on a surface level it makes no sense, and mostly agreed upon by guys swimming in pools of money like Donald Duck or the type of people who fall for email scams.

I’ve heard the argument that t would increase hiring. but that runs under the assumption that the wealthiest .00001 aren’t putting their money in offshore bank accounts, golden uzis, raw water and TPUSA astroturfing.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fashionable Jorts posted:

"I'm not one of those ~poors~ who earn minimum wage, so by cutting their wages my boss will be able to give me that money instead, since I'm a hard worker who can't be replaced by the end of the day."

Also 'burdensome regulations' take all him time/money.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Burt Sexual posted:

It's not even a troll, Oscar was joking.

Yeah, the "people worth saving" was the tell there, that's why I dropped it from the quote heh

Idk I was just kinda bored but also people do say that stuff seriously irl so figured I'd post a coubterargument

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Moridin920 posted:

Idk I was just kinda bored but also people do say that stuff seriously irl so figured I'd post a coubterargument
Admit it, you just can't help yourself.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah, the "people worth saving" was the tell there, that's why I dropped it from the quote heh

Literally the only counterargument you need to post to "crowdfunding allocates resources well" is

https://www.businessinsider.com/kylie-jenner-gofundme-fans-crowdfunding-billionaire-2018-7

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

old man yells at joke

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://www.gofundme.com/let039s-get-kylie-jenner-to-a-billion

This funy joke campaign to give a rich woman more money has raised more from more people in 12 days than my dirt poor frequently homeless artist friend's patreon earns her in 10 months

ha ha, funy joek

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

https://www.gofundme.com/let039s-get-kylie-jenner-to-a-billion

This funy joke campaign to give a rich woman more money has raised more from more people in 12 days than my dirt poor frequently homeless artist friend's patreon earns her in 10 months

ha ha, funy joek

money makes more money you see, it's a result of the innate entrepreneurial mindset rich people have

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I guess this goes in this thread. Let's pretend for a second that I'm very dim. How do mega corps post huge profits and make payouts to shareholders and at the same time not pay any taxes? Like what's the rationale here?

E:

Not the legal stuff, I mean what's the rationale for the masses not rising up and curb stomping the board of directors until they make sure the company pays their fair?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Outrail posted:

I guess this goes in this thread. Let's pretend for a second that I'm very dim. How do mega corps post huge profits and make payouts to shareholders and at the same time not pay any taxes? Like what's the rationale here?

E:

Not the legal stuff, I mean what's the rationale for the masses not rising up and curb stomping the board of directors until they make sure the company pays their fair?

Government is evil and dodging taxes is good because boo taxes, I hate paying them!!!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Admit it, you just can't help yourself.

ok you're right damnit

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also if you make corporations pay taxes, they'll move everything overseas to No Tax Land and you'll be out of a job!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

ok you're right damnit

never apologize moridin

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

More serious answer: a lot of people legit do not see "cheating on taxes" as a problem, because they don't really *get* taxes in the first place. They either don't think about them at all beyond "it's a line item on my paycheck that i hate" or they think that their tax money is entirely going to "pointless" things like foreign aid. Tax evaders aren't seen as stealing from them or their country, they're seen as getting the upper hand on that evil old tax man and greedy government.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Outrail posted:

E:

A lot of people genuinely look at corporations as their friends and think that billion dollar companies have a consumers best interests at heart. Earning lots of money is good, since money is good, so earning lots means they're doing a good job and deserve it. Taxes are bad, since the dirty government thats done nothing to help anyone take taxes, so a Good company that doesnt pay Bad taxes is DOUBLE GOOD.

I pointed out to some capitalist bootlicker that he paid more taxes that Amazon did, and he said it was good since it means Amazon isn't strangled by the government and can continue to do good work.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

:hmmyes:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Outrail posted:

americans elected a guy who said, on stage, in a live televised national debate, that his multibillion dollar companies never paid any taxes and that that was smart

he knew exactly who he was talking to

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

extremely blessed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Also if you make corporations pay taxes, they'll move everything overseas to No Tax Land and you'll be out of a job!

I hate this poo poo too. It's just "oh okay you democratically decide X and we dislike it so we will threaten you."

Leave to skimp on your taxes. We'll expropriate your stuff and ban you from entry to the country again.