Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

NOOOOOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

ah, the ol' greasy melon

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Maybe it's because I've been a cashier before but I really don't have a lot of sympathy for annoying customers that harass employees at work. Calling the police on them isn't great obviously but... I mean what are you supposed to do when someone is being weird and confrontational to you (coming to your place of work and recording you without your permission)? Sure it's not illegal but it is weird and hostile and as the person being recorded you don't really have any recourse...

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Yeah, people can be horrible monsters and they're certainly being more open about their disgusting-yet-deeply held personal beliefs. On the other hand, we're seeing more stories about this backfiring on racists and the people who choose to proudly identify as a "deplorable" live in their own world of hate and jealousy and wishing someone would sit through one date with them.

Maybe I'm wading into tricky waters here, but I wish people would confront their own prejudices a little more, even just internally. If you see someone who looks different than you and you feel a pang of fear, where does that fear come from? Does it come from stories you've heard about individuals who looks similar? And those stories given the same weight as like events with different actors? And even then, if you conclude that the person could be a threat to you, what led to that? Was it because they weren't given the same amount of time with their parents, because mom and dad were working multiple jobs while making less than they were worth because of their employers' prejudices? Was it because they went to a school that barely received any funding because affluent tax payers moved out of the area and the government decided to give more money to charter schools instead of public schools? Was it because they grew up in a world where the majority spent their time gleefully standing on the necks of the downtrodden, fostering a distrust and even a hatred towards people in power? And at the end of all that, look at yourself and ask if you were going to commit any violence, and if you weren't, why should you project that feeling onto a stranger? Why can't someone be allowed to just be, free from outside factors tipping the scales against them because of something they absolutely had no say in?

I don't really know how to address it without sounding a little smug, but those are easy thoughts to think. I certainly can't vouch for anyone else's mind, but introspection is not a difficult thing to do, and figuring out that people are people and everyone just wants a fair shake at living doesn't require some level of spiritual awakening to understand. On the other hand, Jesus said basically the same thing and it was so revelatory, so mind-blowing that 2000 years later people still gather once a week to learn about how helping a sick person is Good and how turning your back on your brother is Bad. And now people are doing some masterful cherry picking to say that Jesus only meant your American brother or your legal sick person.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Bogus Adventure posted:

Never change, Fox News. (Because hopefully it will get you booted off the air)

i hope the disney fox buy out goes through and they just shutter the news section.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

snergle posted:

i hope the disney fox buy out goes through and they just shutter the news section.

I'm afraid the news section isn't included in that buy out, because that was also my hope.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

sunken fleet posted:

Maybe it's because I've been a cashier before but I really don't have a lot of sympathy for annoying customers that harass employees at work. Calling the police on them isn't great obviously but... I mean what are you supposed to do when someone is being weird and confrontational to you (coming to your place of work and recording you without your permission)? Sure it's not illegal but it is weird and hostile and as the person being recorded you don't really have any recourse...

I've also worked as a cashier, and somebody having coupons valid coupons but using them in a weird but perfectly valid way was more entertaining than anything. Certainly not "call the cops" worthy.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

sunken fleet posted:

As someone who has been a register jockey and a retail manager, this is exactly what managers should deal with. Lord knows I dealt with plenty of angry customers, but I never called the drat cops nor felt like that was even on the matrix of choices when dealing with an angry customer. Shoplifting aside (because SOP was report it to cops), the only time anyone ever called the cops was because an irate customer winged a plastic sign holder at my manager's head, and that was a "this guy is banned from the store" thing after he'd left.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think your threshold for "annoying customers harassing employees" is a little off if you think this guy was anywhere close to justified in his actions
Like if using a coupon qualifies as harassment you probably agree with that lady who called the cops on the people using the wrong kind of barbecue grill

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
just lmao if you care enough about the souless company you register jockey for to not just give the customer whatever they want

about the only thing i wouldn't do for a customer was break $100 on a sub $20 charge with a morning till. sorry bro, i'd have to close the register to crack the safe and change this.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

"You're taking advantage of the system!"

Thank gently caress this guy was here to keep that evil lady from perverting the holy will of the almighty dollar store. How much do they pay this guy? If I worked as the cashier at a Dollar General, and someone was walking out the door with merchandise I know for a fact they stole, I probably wouldn't even bother raising my voice unless my manager could see me. Oh no they got away with a cart full of items! I'm sure corporate is going to be all over our asses about that $25 loss any day now.

sunken fleet posted:

This is not a reasonable opinion to have in a time and place where calling the police on a black person has a chance of being a death sentence for them.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

sunken fleet posted:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

purple death ray posted:

I think your threshold for "annoying customers harassing employees" is a little off if you think this guy was anywhere close to justified in his actions
Like if using a coupon qualifies as harassment you probably agree with that lady who called the cops on the people using the wrong kind of barbecue grill

Some goon said something along the lines of "White people call the cops like it's a customer complaint line" which is one of the big :hmmyes: observations of the year

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

snergle posted:

Sure, Disney would kill the golden goose.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Ariong posted:

This is not a reasonable opinion to have in a time and place where calling the police on a black person has a chance of being a death sentence for them.
Yeah but what other option is there? The whole drama kicks off because they're having trouble contacting the manager for whatever reason (maybe the guy was intentionally dragging his feet there idk) and that's the internal solution to problems like this. Clearly its a problem that should have been handled by the store's management, but it wasn't for whatever reason - so what is the front-line peon supposed to do? Like at what point do you just throw up your hands and stop dealing with a belligerent and passive aggressive customer who is recording you with their phone?

Everyone is jumping down the guys throat for making a big deal over 5 bucks for the dollar store but that's his job. Of the two of them he's the guy that has to be there. If the customer wanted to deescalate they could have at any time. They could just leave and call the corporate office or something. The employee doesn't have that option.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
get hosed

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

How long until Elon Musk gets caught trafficking coke, thus completing his DeLorean speedrun?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

sunken fleet posted:

Yeah but what other option is there?

you don't call 911 over coupons you goddamn imbecile, go gently caress yourself

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

sunken fleet posted:

Yeah but what other option is there? The whole drama kicks off because they're having trouble contacting the manager for whatever reason (maybe the guy was intentionally dragging his feet there idk) and that's the internal solution to problems like this. Clearly its a problem that should have been handled by the store's management, but it wasn't for whatever reason - so what is the front-line peon supposed to do? Like at what point do you just throw up your hands and stop dealing with a belligerent and passive aggressive customer who is recording you with their phone?

Everyone is jumping down the guys throat for making a big deal over 5 bucks for the dollar store but that's his job. Of the two of them he's the guy that has to be there. If the customer wanted to deescalate they could have at any time. They could just leave and call the corporate office or something. The employee doesn't have that option.

lmao get hosed you piece of poo poo. just give them what they want holy poo poo the manager is going to do the same god drat thing

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

aaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

*fills store with "Smile! You're being recorded!" signs*

*calls police on black woman with a cell phone camera*

*whines on something awful about how they had no other choice*

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

plainswalker75 posted:

How long until Elon Musk gets caught trafficking coke, thus completing his DeLorean speedrun?

Delorean was aquited of those charges. You absolute bafoon. You clod.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

None of y'all are allowed to talk about coupons, black people or cops for a bit. Seriously. Simmer down. CSPAM has a Hot Takes thread if you wanna dump some garbage there.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

E: posted while you were posting

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

cash crab posted:

None of y'all are allowed to talk about coupons, black people or cops for a bit. Seriously. Simmer down. CSPAM has a Hot Takes thread if you wanna dump some garbage there.

People love their hot takes so much, I wish they would HOT TAKE them to CSPAM.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

sighing as I delte my superb princess bride inigio montoya joke draft

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

e: nooooooooo i missed c-spam cashier time

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Does anyone remember that thread about Bill Cosby's car getting towed right before one of his trials because the traffic cop thought some coupons left on it were tickets? I think it was posted in Coupons thread for irony

edit: Whoops bad timing

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Does anyone remember that thread about Bill Cosby's car getting towed right before one of his trials because the traffic cop thought some coupons left on it were tickets? I think it was posted in Coupons thread for irony

edit: Whoops bad timing

Pretty good username/post combo.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Trolls can dish it out, can't take it

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

What is it with these triggered millennial snowflakes these days?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

gschmidl posted:

What is it with these triggered millennial snowflakes these days?

self own culture

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Ahh yeah, that's the good stuff.

Lurker-bot 9000
Aug 14, 2007

SYSTEM MALFUNCTION

https://twitter.com/mikefossey/status/479779134366056448

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Jesus. Among his bailout options he easily chose one of the worst ones

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SpacePig posted:

e: ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Look, if you're gonna have "dollar" right in the name, you can't be surprised when people call it a dollar store. Sorry.

Naw, the thing is that they did that on purpose. Dollar Tree is a national dollar store (as in everything is a dollar or less). Dollar General and Family Dollar are both garbage stores that overcharge poor people for substandard merchandise but because they are the only thing close enough to walk or bike to in a bad neighborhood, because they have "dollar" in the name and they are dirty and lovely inside and obviously cater to poor people, many many poor people think they are a bargain or just suffer through them due to lack of choice.

They are predatory but claim that they are doing a favor to the poor, like the payday or title loan of retail. They suck.

It's no knock on you not knowing, but it's good to know.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Bloop posted:

Naw, the thing is that they did that on purpose. Dollar Tree is a national dollar store (as in everything is a dollar or less). Dollar General and Family Dollar are both garbage stores that overcharge poor people for substandard merchandise but because they are the only thing close enough to walk or bike to in a bad neighborhood, because they have "dollar" in the name and they are dirty and lovely inside and obviously cater to poor people, many many poor people think they are a bargain or just suffer through them due to lack of choice.

They are predatory but claim that they are doing a favor to the poor, like the payday or title loan of retail. They suck.

It's no knock on you not knowing, but it's good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

They're popping up all over Minnesota now that Walmart is going Supercenter or nothing, and also in towns that weren't big enough to have a Walmart before. They must be stupidly profitable to open up where they're opening.