Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

https://www.domain.com.au/news/how-a-video-game-proved-that-increasing-supply-wont-fix-the-housing-affordability-crisis-20180416-h0ymjz/ posted:

Or we can look at another example where increasing supply completely failed to make housing more affordable, despite those being affected having literal magic powers.

The problem with this was that only around 2000 housing plots were made available per server, and the wealthy guilds and individual players with a lot of time on their hands to accumulate the necessary in-game means, snapped them all up immediately, exactly as you would expect.

Two players, with the in-game names Altima and Igeyorhm, bought 28 homes between them, presumably so they would never have to clean a virtual bathroom ever again.

Other players were outraged. How could today’s ambitious young Hyur break into the property market when these sorts of players had it all sewn up? Could they maybe buy in the blasted hellscape of Eureka and rent-vest in the nicer, more gentrified bits of Eorzea? How does negative gearing even work in this universe?

Anyway, Square Enix heard the furious cries of their customers and did exactly what Turnbull et al would suggest: they increased supply. Over seven hundred new plots were made available per server; which were immediately bought up, exactly like the original ones.

What mitigated the problem? Increasingly delicate regulation.

In the end Square Enix put limits on how many homes a player could own, and put in a waiting period for resellers to discourage profiteers from flipping properties at a premium within the game, and are still assessing whether more regulation is required. In other words, the company responsible for an online adventure game with trolls is giving more assiduous attention to housing accessibility than the government of our most populous state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Elentor posted:

Well yeah, that's why I opened my post with, "Not that I would doubt that this decison-making could come from Square". I just wanted to know if there was any deeper motivation for his post. I'm not challenging his reasoning, I'm just curious. If there is something more, then I want to know.

Missed that part, if there's one thing Final Fantasy and this thread in particular taught me it's to never read anything.

Sounds to me the solution is to let Square-Enix focus on the Australian housing crisis while the Australian government starts work on Final Fantasy XVI.

I think that would be a net gain for everyone.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's so loving stupid that people care about houses in a video game. Play video games to beat up monsters and escape real life, not simulate real life in a virtual world.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gologle posted:

It's so loving stupid that people care about houses in a video game. Play video games to beat up monsters and escape real life, not simulate real life in a virtual world.

Not all people want to escape reality with swords and spells. Some people want to escape reality by shoving their friends in a pool with no escape and laugh as they slowly starve to death.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Gologle posted:

Animal Crossing and The Sims have proved you wrong permanently.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gologle posted:

So you don't... think all the people playing The Sims are doing it to escape real life? In a world where so many people are severely limited by their conditions. What if I like decorating but don't have the time or money to spend decorating my house at will? Or even if I do, do you not see at all that the literal power to conjure up furniture at will and play around with it is in itself an incredible fantasy?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i dont like the sims but it was fun making mmos houses cause then you could invite your e-friends over to kick it and talk about whatever

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I'm pretty sure SE limited it to one private house per player and 1 guild house per FC. So unless these guys were snapping properties up across 8 characters per character and making burner FCs to grab an FC house I am highly suspect of this! I know drat well in the time it would've taken to log onto another character or move into another burner FC the houses would've already been swiped.

Also the issue isn't affordability, what the hell. The issue is literally the opposite: Everyone has enough money to buy a house, so the second the floodgates open every player who doesn't have a house but has money will rush the housing districts for a house. I really struggle to see 2 players managing to grab 13 houses each while everyone else is currently rushing for empty lots and buying property as soon as the servers open. We're talking like 6 new wards opening up and literally every single one being swiped 5 minutes after the servers were opened.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

One of the key problems with FFXIV in general is that the team is more than willing to fix stuff but the consistency with which said fixes happen,and how useful they are, is all over the place. It's a very predictable game in terms of small changes (regular patches with storyline, new dungeons, etc) but extremely unpredictable in terms of radical changes or changes to long term mechanics.

Housing in particular is very random. It's first come first serve. First, you need to log on at the time the server opens if you want to have any chance whatsoever of grabbing your house of choice. Then assuming you have Mario Karted your route to your house to perfection, there's the extremely long queue, and the non-trivial odd that you'll crash to desktop from a DC in the character selection. Seriously. Afterwards you're now in for 2 to a 10 minute queue, depending on if you crash again or not.

I got the house that I wanted through something that I can only consider an immense amount of luck. 30 minutes after a batch of wards opened, I was changing between instances in the city I wanted. A new city had opened and it only had small houses in poor locations since all the good and mediocre ones were already taken. Someone, for some reason, abandoned his medium beach house and traded it for a poorly-located small house in the new Japanese village. Since no one was considering something so stupid, I had no competition in grabbing it. Hope dies last, as they say.

They should make it a lottery or an auction. You can even mix both, you choose some houses, in order of preference, and place your bet on it. Anything is better than the current implementation.

Leal posted:

issue isn't affordability, what the hell. The issue is literally the opposite: Everyone has enough money to buy a house, so the second the floodgates open every player who doesn't have a house but has money will rush the housing districts for a house. I really struggle to see 2 players managing to grab 13 houses each while everyone else is currently rushing for empty lots and buying property as soon as the servers open. We're talking like 6 new wards opening up and literally every single one being swiped 5 minutes after the servers were opened.

Yeah the houses are extremely cheap at this point in time so they're all bought out almost instantaneously in some servers. Leaving a bunch of players frustrated because new wards don't open all that frequently. But there's been guilds and players that somehow managed to grab a buttload of houses in some servers, which is like adding salt to the injury.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 20, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Leal posted:

I'm pretty sure SE limited it to one private house per player and 1 guild house per FC. So unless these guys were snapping properties up across 8 characters per character and making burner FCs to grab an FC house I am highly suspect of this!

That's exactly what one guy on Primal did back when. He had a bunch of accounts that he had a lot of land and FCs on. It wasn't until February that they made it one private and FC house per service account. The Altima/Igeyhorm thing was from July 2017. So yeah.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
New wards opening was a field day for crafters. All of a sudden people who have a) been sitting on money and b) had no idea how much furniture should cost were suddenly buying furniture. What a time to be alive.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Selling cheap vendor furniture on the market board for a huge mark up :discourse:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
My biggest problem with FFXIV is that the fun, non-gear-treadmill part of the endgame feels so heavily gated and reserved for a select few. Spending all that money or crafting all that stuff to make a real pretty home is great, I loved it back in City of Heroes and I'm sure I'd love it in FFXIV... but I'm not allowed to, because only a finite amount of people are allowed to have housing on any given server, and especially if you're on a popular one you'd better be both lucky and loving loaded.

My second-biggest problem is that crafting in the early levels of a new expansion sucks and hates you. Crafting's basically the most fun part of the game at the end of a given load of content, it's just a really cute little puzzle to make the best stuff you can... but the moment that '0' at the end of your level turns into a '1', making anything good suddenly feels like an impossible, thankless chore, and making anything at all will cost you an arm and a leg. It turns around and gets better eventually, but because crafting still has that system where you can import skills from other classes, and that those skills are integral (I honestly still think that system's a great idea, but only for combat, not for crafting so they got that backwards) you have to go through that torture with all of those crafting classes at some point or another, meaning you've got like seven wallet-draining No Fun Zones for every new expansion. I like crafting better than the actual game, but gently caress those level ranges.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm probably thinking way too hard on this but I had X-2 on my mind and one thing I've always enjoyed about X-2 was its sociopolitical nature. I thought its depiction of Spira's development, along with Yuna's own personal progress, was its best feature and made it a worthy sequel.

Something like New Yevon would totally pop up IRL. When you get right down to it, the Youth League are Progressives and New Yevon are Conservatives. It's even reflected in their respective leader's approach es to the main plot - Nooj wants to destroy Vegnagun, Baralai wants to just leave it alone.

I have no idea how Gippal and the Al Bhed fit into this scheme though. Trema is a bit of a weirdo, too. Maybe he was just crazy.

But yeah, X-2 has cool worldbuilding. That's something both it and its predecessor had in common.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

My biggest problem with FFXIV is that the fun, non-gear-treadmill part of the endgame feels so heavily gated and reserved for a select few. Spending all that money or crafting all that stuff to make a real pretty home is great, I loved it back in City of Heroes and I'm sure I'd love it in FFXIV... but I'm not allowed to, because only a finite amount of people are allowed to have housing on any given server, and especially if you're on a popular one you'd better be both lucky and loving loaded.

My second-biggest problem is that crafting in the early levels of a new expansion sucks and hates you. Crafting's basically the most fun part of the game at the end of a given load of content, it's just a really cute little puzzle to make the best stuff you can... but the moment that '0' at the end of your level turns into a '1', making anything good suddenly feels like an impossible, thankless chore, and making anything at all will cost you an arm and a leg. It turns around and gets better eventually, but because crafting still has that system where you can import skills from other classes, and that those skills are integral (I honestly still think that system's a great idea, but only for combat, not for crafting so they got that backwards) you have to go through that torture with all of those crafting classes at some point or another, meaning you've got like seven wallet-draining No Fun Zones for every new expansion. I like crafting better than the actual game, but gently caress those level ranges.

That's why they added guildleves that are actually worth doing XP wise and relatively cheap if you've got gatherers leveled alongside your crafters. And for the 61-65 stuff there's not really any puzzle, Rath's rotation works that whole way. You just slam out 400 Nuggets/Oils/etc and you can blitz to endgame craftin.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Gologle posted:

Home ownership is a fantasy to a fuckload of people. Now more than ever.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I have no idea how Gippal and the Al Bhed fit into this scheme though. Trema is a bit of a weirdo, too. Maybe he was just crazy.

Trema is Maechen's final form

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
So FFXIV is basically Australia?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Where do you guys send your characters after they finish their grid? I've put auron in the middle of wakkas to get more strength and a little more speed. I haven't moved anyone else yet but I'm thinking of putting rikku near the end of yunas for some cure stuff and more magic.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i just send everyone down tidus's tree so they get Quick Hit and heroic amounts of speed and strength

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It doesn't really matter because once you can do the Don Tonberry trick, AP is a joke to acquire and you can very quickly fill out everyone's full grid.

The real grind is in filling in all the empty spheres and replacing all the lesser ones with +4s, if you're crazy enough to do that (don't).

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Fister Roboto posted:

It doesn't really matter because once you can do the Don Tonberry trick, AP is a joke to acquire and you can very quickly fill out everyone's full grid.

The real grind is in filling in all the empty spheres and replacing all the lesser ones with +4s, if you're crazy enough to do that (don't).

The reasonable thing to do is obviously to do a no sphere grid run until +4's become available.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 23, 2018

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

i just send everyone down tidus's tree so they get Quick Hit and heroic amounts of speed and strength

This is probably the real answer. Unfortunately, the main drawback of the sphere grid is that everyone gets access to everything and the most powerful 'generic' thing is to make everyone fast as poo poo and get as many slaps as possible and that's basically Tidus' grid in a nutshell. Everything else in the endgame is Mix Shenanigans and knowing when it's time to tell Yuna to summon some poor sucker to eat a hit or two for the team.

Or just paying a ronin Summon to one-shot everything.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Should I start people at the beginning of his tree or a specific spot further in?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Once everyone has filled our their grid you are more than prepared to tackle the rest of the game. I'd just leave it there unless you want to sap out all the challenge from the final bosses.

Speaking as someone who has done all the optional superboss poo poo, dark aeons and all, back when I was younger and had more time: It's super not worth it.

The strategy for every superboss in this game is "quick hit, attack reels, quick hit, maybe summon an aeon to be a meatshield, quick hit some more". It's just "use Don Tonberry to get mountains of AP and make everyone superpowered, then grind spheres to max out everyone's Strength, Defense, and Magic Defense. Then spend hours getting their Luck to 170~". It's not fun or challenging, there's nothing to it.

Seriously, don't bother with superbosses in FFX.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
^ yeah but it lets you trivialize annoying endgame bosses, which normally have extremely nasty gotchas. not to mention Sin's countdown which just gives you a game over, if you don't have enough Speed and Strength on Wakka.

Kingtheninja posted:

Should I start people at the beginning of his tree or a specific spot further in?

Honestly I'd start wherever his first boost to Str or Spd is. You could start at the opposite end, but Quick Hit won't be very useful until you have good physical attacking stats, after all.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I think I'm going to try and grab a couple double or triple ap weapons and get people to some good spots before jumping into the final fights. I want lulu to get flare and Yuna to get Holy but after that I think I'll overdrive my aeons and cruise on through.

I also have Yuna copycat so they should help.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The first volume of the Ultimania arrived from Amazon today. Covers 1-6. Haven’t gotten far in but the tiny screenshots for 1 using the mobile port version is weird.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

His branch starts with very small +1 gains and ends with big +4s soooooo you do the math.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Phoenix Cave in 6 was originally planned to have “50 floors” :laffo:

E: and the Magitek Factory cart ride was a SMRPG-style minigame in planning too. Oh lord.

E2: “A debugger told us it was too easy right before master-up, so we removed the save point at the Crystal Tower”

WHO WAS IT

WE SHOULD KILL THEM

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 24, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That would have owned. Every Final Fantasy game should have had an optional deep dungeon.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'd play an FF6 version of Lufia's Ancient Cave.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Holy poo poo, yes. Open up more bonuses when you complete it with a different party member.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Fister Roboto posted:

That would have owned. Every Final Fantasy game should have had an optional deep dungeon.

I'm reading the tactics ogre lp. I never knew it was possible to have too much optional content before this.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

lobster22221 posted:

I'm reading the tactics ogre lp. I never knew it was possible to have too much optional content before this.

I dunno how it compares to Tactics Ogre, but Crisis Core is the first thing I think of when it comes to "too much" by far. What doesn't help is that most of it is the exact same thing just with different enemies for... variety. :airquote:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dragonatrix posted:

I dunno how it compares to Tactics Ogre, but Crisis Core is the first thing I think of when it comes to "too much" by far. What doesn't help is that most of it is the exact same thing just with different enemies for... variety. :airquote:

It's the same idea except with 1000000% more obtuse bullshit for getting items / certain classes.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
For reference there is a 100+ floor dungeon(in a tactical rpg, mind you) with post game story elements. If you don't meet the requirements to progress the story, You have to restart from certain points, then do the entire dungeon over again.

And that isn't the entire post game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I can't think of any randomzier for FF6 other than the Beyond Chaos randomizer, but there's an Ancient Cave romhack for FF5.

lobster22221 posted:

That's because it isn't possible. Tactics Ogre is fun and good and after Matsuno finishes work on the Ivalice stuff for FFXIV he needs to be put to work on new Ogre Battle games. :colbert:

Playing the game on my PSX back in the day and not having learned of GameFAQs yet made the Hell Gate's "some levels have hidden doors you have to find to continue" thing a real pain in the rear end. At least you got Wipe Out (assuming Radlum didn't suicide to enemies, which he did so often that it makes Riovannes Rooftop look fun and forgiving) on B2 and that let you just insta-nuke floors that didn't have hidden doors. Though the real prize was Retissue (turns undead characters in to level 1 soldiers/amazons but lets them keep their stats) and a copy of Snapshot (turn a character in to a weapon, stats based on character stats). Especially if you had Reanimate since you could kill a level 50 generic, reanimate them as an undead, retissue them to a level 1 soldier/amazon, relevel them to 50, and repeat the process if you felt like it (then use Snapshot to turn them in to a weapon that gave more stats than characters normally could get). Or leave them as-is as a super untouchable character who acted 5x faster than anyone else due to crazy low WT. I forget if Knight of Lodis had Retissue/Reanimate in the GBA game, but it had Snapshot and I remember beating the final boss with a holy-element weapon made from an angel knight and almost doubled my MC's stats.

Though even before that, you could find Warrior/Training equipment on the first couple floors as random drops. Their stats sucked and they were heavy as hell but, IIRC, when a character gained a level with the gear equipped they also gained +1 luck per piece of equipped gear. Luck capped at 100 but even a regular non-retissued cheese character with 100 luck would dodge/crit constantly and was just generally better period because luck was a (demi) god stat.

I think getting the hidden skills was much, much easier in Knight of Lodis than LUCT too.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 25, 2018

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
My Ultimania Vol 1 also came in (and jesus it is bigger than I was expecting).

I'm actually somewhat excited to read some dumb obscure lore and background on these games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Evil Fluffy posted:

I can't think of any randomzier for FF^ other than the Beyond Chaos randomizer, but there's an Ancient Cave romhack for FF5.

That's because it isn't possible. Tactics Ogre is fun and good and after Matsuno finishes work on the Ivalice stuff for FFXIV he needs to be put to work on new Ogre Battle games. :colbert:

I'm all for that. But I want plot and pacing too.

Its the difference between eating 5 bags of marshmellows and eating a huge meal.