Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Olavi posted:

I'm a guy in my thirties and I just bought the three basic books of the 5th edition. The closest I've ever been to playing a d&d is Baldur's gate pc game series, but I am quite familiar with the traditional gameplay in theory. I'm just looking for a good time with my friends with my weird imagination as an engine for my dm career.

Am I getting ahead of myself?

As long as your friends want to play you should be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Olavi posted:

I'm a guy in my thirties and I just bought the three basic books of the 5th edition. The closest I've ever been to playing a d&d is Baldur's gate pc game series, but I am quite familiar with the traditional gameplay in theory. I'm just looking for a good time with my friends with my weird imagination as an engine for my dm career.

Am I getting ahead of myself?

You're good. The most common, across the board advice is give level 1 characters anywhere from regular health + con mod up to health + con score to just double health.

All the variants are to level out the swingy nature of low levels because low level PCs are basically a crit away from dead.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Start at level 3 and you’ll have more fun probably.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Most classes don't even really get poo poo to do until level 3 anyway.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Characters don't really do stuff until level 3, but if you have a group of brand new players it may be okay to start at level 1 since they don't know what they're supposed to be doing anyways.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

IMO it's ok to start at level one if you keep the first session or two light with more roleplaying than combat, and let the bad guys capture the PCs should they get over their heads or something. Level them up after each session and they'll be 3 in no time flat.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
You should be fine. For first and second level, you can do more whodunnit stuff and give them exp for interacting and solving puzzles with very LIGHT combat. At three you can ramp it up a bit.

Edit: Yah what the guy above me said.

You can also decide to do goal based leveling instead of tracking xp. That way everyone will stay the same level even if they miss sessions and such. For homebrew games this works fairly well. When the group does some major task / killed a bad boss / finished a major plot hook, you can simply say everyone will be level 4 or whatever for next session. Works well and it's not 7 people all with different xp amounts and "that one guy" who misses three sessions isn't eternally a level behind everyone and gets creamed by 1 extra hit point because of it.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 24, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
What if you just gave every monster at level 1-2 two attacks that did half damage?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Olavi posted:

Does the 5th edition have what it takes to provide my noob butt what I crave?

Can you be more specific about what your butt craves? We can help you get the most out of 5e if you tell us about the feel and flavor you're going for.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Reik posted:

What if you just gave every monster at level 1-2 two attacks that did half damage?

There we go

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From a recap of a recent interview from James Wyatt and Jeremy Crawford on the Ravnica campaign setting.

Guy giving recap posted:

For those that worried that the MtG elements would be forced into D&D, Ravnica's Campaign Guide is a D&D setting first and fore. Targeted to D&D fans, they'd love it if it attracted MtG fans to D&D, but the priority appears to be that it fit easily into D&D while retaining story and thematic elements. What this means in practice is that there is no references to colors or mana in the book, Crawford had Wyatt remove all those references from the book because he felt it would be confusing and not really useful for the PCs.

So this book is more Ravnica crystal sphere in the D&D multiverse, then a complete fusion of the MtG Multiverse and the D&D multiverse. So again this is a D&D book first.

Also one of the big reasons they picked Ravnica was simply because it's next up on the MtG (card game) schedule.

We have been getting UA articles for Ravnica for awhile now, Domain of Order for the Cleric, Spore Druid, maybe some others, Minotaurs and Centaurs for races. Not everything in the book has been UA tested yet.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 24, 2018

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

quote:

Targeted to D&D fans, they'd love it if it attracted MtG fans to D&D, but the priority appears to be that it fit easily into D&D

quote:

this is a D&D book first. 

well phew this definitely isn't an undercooked attempt to push a more profitable bran--

quote:

one of the big reasons they picked Ravnica was simply because it's next up on the MtG (card game) schedule.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 24, 2018

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

I haven't played in almost 15 years and 3rd edition was the new thing then, recently bought the 5th edition books on my first visit to a physical Amazon store because I got hit by the nostalgia big time.

While I'm aware there are goon meets for DnD in my local thread how has technology changed the way people play DnD nowadays?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
you now can yell and scream about what the best edition is with the entire rest of the community, worldwide, instead of just the people in your local game store and college gaming groups

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

you now can yell and scream about what the best edition is with the entire rest of the community, worldwide, instead of just the people in your local game store and college gaming groups

What a wonderful time to be alive poo poo posting to an ever grander audience.

What about tablet based character sheets or online play? How is that panning out?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

xilni posted:

I haven't played in almost 15 years and 3rd edition was the new thing then, recently bought the 5th edition books on my first visit to a physical Amazon store because I got hit by the nostalgia big time.

While I'm aware there are goon meets for DnD in my local thread how has technology changed the way people play DnD nowadays?

You can easily access most rule information for your phone. You can also find spreadsheets and various programs that will pretty much build your character for you. 5E character building isn't hard so you don't NEED excel spreadsheets, but these things are sometimes nice for people intimated by filling out the sheets.

It's also nice to stick your character sheets into dropbox or do a character sheet in roll20 so you don't have to worry about forgetting them (or you can just play off these sheets right on your phone). And oh yeah, roll20 will let you play with anywhere that people have computers (there's apps, too but I've heard these are bad). My roll20 group is my best game and it's not close.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

There is tons of content, free and paid, published in pdf form. (Somehow the 5e books are the exception here, the pdfs for those are inexplicably only available as :filez:)

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

xilni posted:

You can now have the privilege of rebuying your books to use D&D Beyond.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kaysette posted:

You can now have the privilege of rebuying your books to use D&D Beyond.

And rebuying them again for Roll20.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo posted:

And rebuying them again for Roll20.

And then buying a DnD Beyond monthly subscription.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo posted:

And then buying a DnD Beyond monthly subscription.

And then buying a Roll20 monthly subscription.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Eh? Please explain yourselves?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Wizards wants you to buy physical books, because that's what everyone's been accustomed to for 40 years. So, you buy the physical hardback books.

But, then, they are pushing their online product, DnD Beyond, which just got a nice revamp with character creator. However, despite this being a 1st-party thing, they insist they can't pack-in redemption codes for the digital versions of the sourcebooks, because then people would just copy the codes from the pack-in and nobody would buy the physical versions. You know, that problem that textbooks solved 20 years ago.

So, you pay for all your sourcebooks again in DnD Beyond, probably at a higher price than you paid for your hardbacks at Amazon. But, to get full functionality of the site, you still need to buy a monthly recurring subscription.

But, DnD Beyond is just a reference site with a character builder. You actually have to play elsewhere (online). The primary one that gets pimped a lot is Roll20. Another is Fantasy Grounds (I think).

And again, you can't just use the hardcover content. You need to buy each individual book a 3rd time. I think Roll20 is a little cheaper than DnD Beyond per-book, but don't quote me. It's still comparable to buying a 3rd hardback.

But, Roll20 restricts a number of features (basically, any sort of advanced programmatic process) behind their API, which you have to shell out a monthly fee to access, despite the fact that almost all the API-using code is written and provided free by players.

So, your grand total right now, as expected by WotC is:

• Buy all the hardbacks.
  • Buy all the sourcebooks again in DnD Beyond.
  • Buy all the sourcebooks again in Roll20.
  • Pay a monthly subscription for DnD Beyond
  • Pay a monthly subscription for Roll20.

And, even then, none of it is as convenient of just grabbing the pdfs from :files: because then you can mark up the pdfs with notes and references.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

What a clusterfuck, what’s a goon to do?

I probably just want to play on roll20, I don’t really see the purpose of Beyond unless I’m missing something.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My group plays over Discord (two separate campaigns, even) with nothing but drawn maps and item descriptions which are just copy/pasted in the chat, things work fine for us :shrug:

I guess if you really don't trust your other players to be honest on dice rolls or whatever? There's ways to play for cheap that don't involve huge subscription investments. All of us just have the physical books, no problem.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Toshimo posted:

Wizards wants you to buy physical books, because that's what everyone's been accustomed to for 40 years. So, you buy the physical hardback books.

But, then, they are pushing their online product, DnD Beyond, which just got a nice revamp with character creator. However, despite this being a 1st-party thing, they insist they can't pack-in redemption codes for the digital versions of the sourcebooks, because then people would just copy the codes from the pack-in and nobody would buy the physical versions. You know, that problem that textbooks solved 20 years ago.

So, you pay for all your sourcebooks again in DnD Beyond, probably at a higher price than you paid for your hardbacks at Amazon. But, to get full functionality of the site, you still need to buy a monthly recurring subscription.

But, DnD Beyond is just a reference site with a character builder. You actually have to play elsewhere (online). The primary one that gets pimped a lot is Roll20. Another is Fantasy Grounds (I think).

And again, you can't just use the hardcover content. You need to buy each individual book a 3rd time. I think Roll20 is a little cheaper than DnD Beyond per-book, but don't quote me. It's still comparable to buying a 3rd hardback.

But, Roll20 restricts a number of features (basically, any sort of advanced programmatic process) behind their API, which you have to shell out a monthly fee to access, despite the fact that almost all the API-using code is written and provided free by players.

So, your grand total right now, as expected by WotC is:

• Buy all the hardbacks.
  • Buy all the sourcebooks again in DnD Beyond.
  • Buy all the sourcebooks again in Roll20.
  • Pay a monthly subscription for DnD Beyond
  • Pay a monthly subscription for Roll20.

And, even then, none of it is as convenient of just grabbing the pdfs from :files: because then you can mark up the pdfs with notes and references.

Honestly D&D Beyonds's subscription just removes ads and adds extra character slots. It's pretty useless. The site works fine without bothering with the subscription.

Secondly I think you mixed up Beyond and Roll20's pricing. It's stuff is cheaper then the hardbacks, or at minimum around the same price you can get it at discounted Amazon prices. Roll20 is the one that charges 60 bucks for each book.

Lastly D&D beyond is actually not 1st party. It's owned by another company called Curse which just got the licence to build the tool.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

xilni posted:

What a clusterfuck, what’s a goon to do?

I probably just want to play on roll20, I don’t really see the purpose of Beyond unless I’m missing something.

If you getting the roll20 version then there is no need to bother with Beyond. I like Beyond and consider it a useful resource, But there is no need to buy the books on two different digital platforms.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Fantasy Grounds pricing is even worse.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Enourmo posted:

My group plays over Discord (two separate campaigns, even) with nothing but drawn maps and item descriptions which are just copy/pasted in the chat, things work fine for us :shrug:

I guess if you really don't trust your other players to be honest on dice rolls whatever? There's ways to play for cheap that don't involve huge subscription investments. All of us just have the physical books, no problem.

Out of curiosity, do you do video chat or just voice? And the maps are just uploaded and you do theater of the mind?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Secondly I think you mixed up Beyond and Roll20's pricing. It's stuff is cheaper then the hardbacks, or at minimum around the same price you can get it at discounted Amazon prices. Roll20 is the one that charges 60 bucks for each book.

PHB@ Amazon: $28
PHB@ DnDB: $30
PHB@ Roll20: $30

You are correct, though, that some of the other supplemental stuff is full retail on R20 ($50) while still being just above Amazon on DnDB.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Lastly D&D beyond is actually not 1st party. It's owned by another company called Curse which just got the licence to build the tool.

This was not evident from the way the official wizards stream presents it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MonsterEnvy posted:

If you getting the roll20 version then there is no need to bother with Beyond. I like Beyond and consider it a useful resource, But there is no need to buy the books on two different digital platforms.

The largest problem here is that R20 is hot garbage for going Digital -> Physical for everything I've seen (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Like, I want to do AL. Me and my buddies all rolled characters on DnDB because we want to be able to use them in physical AL games (and this was before R20 even had a character generator). Then we got another DM we knew who had a full-on R20 sub to re-import them into R20 for our games and then we had to fix them up from there.

So, we all keep 2 copies of the characters because we want to be able to use them physically and digitally.

Problem areas we still have:
  • You still can't just open or modify or even look at your character in R20. And you sure as gently caress can't share them. The character Vault is the dumbest most useless thing.
  • AFAIK, you can't enforce PHB+1 on character creation on either R20 or DnDB. This is some sufficiently advanced technical hurdle that it's basically easier to travel to the moon.
  • None of this stuff is interconnected with each other. Nothing imports to each other. Nothing imports or connects with AdventurersLeagueLog.com.
  • Roll20 still doesn't carry macros (or even basic keybind settings) over from session to session. Macros also can't be imported and must be re-created from scratch each game. Jesus loving Christ.
  • If either of my DMs decides to pack up their campaigns so they can re-use them with other people, I effectively lose a lot of access to my characters unless I shell out a significant amount of $$$.
  • R20 documentation is really, really awful and you pretty much have to use google to delve into their forums and read a lot of trial-and-error from other users to be able to do a lot of simple tasks.
  • R20 doesn't do Resting very well, if at all, natively. So, a lot of people use the DnDB character sheet for tracking resources and rests because it works a hell of a lot better.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Use the MPMB character sheet via his Patreon.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Putting together a one shot for saturday and I'm thinking snorkeling and treasure hunt. Will need cool water monsters to Deep Blue Sea someone at some point and some regular sea or cave stuff to fight the party. Sweet ideas welcome.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
What's PHB+1?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Eggnogium posted:

What's PHB+1?

its the Adventurer League policy where your character can only use material from the PHB plus one other book

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Screw that, sounds like I’m going to stay away from any of those for a while and try to find a local game

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

You can probably get away with that if you just did PHB+Xanthar’s, unless you wanted some of the races from Volos. Xanthar’s has the current extra meat of stuff.

Would the Eberron stuff even be ok for AL use? How official is it?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Novum posted:

Putting together a one shot for saturday and I'm thinking snorkeling and treasure hunt. Will need cool water monsters to Deep Blue Sea someone at some point and some regular sea or cave stuff to fight the party. Sweet ideas welcome.

I've ran the adventure from The Tortle Package with two groups now and they both liked it. You could pull some ideas from there, look up the final encounter in Dangwaru and the two-headed Plesiosaurus fight in the High Horn (which I gave an additional ranged breathe weapon).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

mastershakeman posted:

Out of curiosity, do you do video chat or just voice? And the maps are just uploaded and you do theater of the mind?

Just voice, for small skirmishes it's mostly TOTM but for big boss fights the DM keeps track of positioning and will occasionally post updated shots of the pencil map so we can all be on the same page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Toshimo posted:

The largest problem here is that R20 is hot garbage for going Digital -> Physical for everything I've seen (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Like, I want to do AL. Me and my buddies all rolled characters on DnDB because we want to be able to use them in physical AL games (and this was before R20 even had a character generator). Then we got another DM we knew who had a full-on R20 sub to re-import them into R20 for our games and then we had to fix them up from there.

So, we all keep 2 copies of the characters because we want to be able to use them physically and digitally.

Problem areas we still have:
  • You still can't just open or modify or even look at your character in R20. And you sure as gently caress can't share them. The character Vault is the dumbest most useless thing.
  • AFAIK, you can't enforce PHB+1 on character creation on either R20 or DnDB. This is some sufficiently advanced technical hurdle that it's basically easier to travel to the moon.
  • None of this stuff is interconnected with each other. Nothing imports to each other. Nothing imports or connects with AdventurersLeagueLog.com.
  • Roll20 still doesn't carry macros (or even basic keybind settings) over from session to session. Macros also can't be imported and must be re-created from scratch each game. Jesus loving Christ.
  • If either of my DMs decides to pack up their campaigns so they can re-use them with other people, I effectively lose a lot of access to my characters unless I shell out a significant amount of $$$.
  • R20 documentation is really, really awful and you pretty much have to use google to delve into their forums and read a lot of trial-and-error from other users to be able to do a lot of simple tasks.
  • R20 doesn't do Resting very well, if at all, natively. So, a lot of people use the DnDB character sheet for tracking resources and rests because it works a hell of a lot better.

Uh, correct me if I'm off-base on this but you can straight up just use Roll20 without paying for the D&D books a second time or getting a subscription. There's at least 4 or 5 different free character sheet templates you can install into a room for free that'll handle 90% of the book keeping.

I mean I can understand the criticism of there not being anything in the way of an all-in-one virtual tabletop for D&D or the fact that D&D Beyond requires a separate purchase from the physical books to use all the features but you can still play the game pretty effectively online without spending extra money beyond buying the PHB and a copy of the DMG + MM for the DM.