Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm just hating my life right now when I play. We have a house, but I got offered a great job in the city for the summer so we're here, back in my gfs old bedroom, with her xbox hooked up to a 27" monitor I have to play on while I sit on the bed like I'm a kid again in which there is no way to get comfortable. When I went home on the weekend and played on PC as soon as I aimed at someone I felt like Neo when he first got up after Smith thought he'd killed him. Oh, someone firing at me from halfway across loot lake? I'll just calmly snipe them with this crappy white AR in 3 clean shots. Back here? Wouldn't hit a cow in the arse with a snow shovel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Mongoose posted:

Patch Notes Up!

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/patch-notes/v5-10

Highlights:
- Birthday Event
- Updated playgrounds (looks amazing) on the 25th
- P90 heavy laser repeater
- Supply Drops reworked (looks juicy)
- Slurp Juice buffed to 75, prioritized HP then moves to shield when fold
- Material starting / max health lowered, pickaxe damage to player structures up
- Building collision / phasing behavior adjusted (indicator, pushes enemies out on building?)
- Lots of quality of life sprint / movement settings

We've entered the Reign of Bullets era. Hang up your carpenter kits and load up on small ammo.

Also, they fixed it so downing an enemy or killing an enemy counts towards your challenge counts! So, in theory, if you have a sniper elim and an explosive elim, you could down someone with one and finish them off with the other, and it will count towards both challenges.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
I like the little birthday ditty that plays while the Battle Bus is in transit. They should make that a permanent addition, changing it with every season.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Al Baron posted:

I like the little birthday ditty that plays while the Battle Bus is in transit. They should make that a permanent addition, changing it with every season.

Yeah that tune is real dope.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

el B posted:

Is this true?! I play mixed lobbies all the time, but didn't know each team was mixed.

Yep, that's why you won't get a fill if you go into cross platform squads with 3. All the Pc players are filled into PC lobbies, all the console players are filled into console lobbies and nobody's filled into cross platform lobbies

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Surprised they nerfed building even more. In chasing a more exciting spectator esport it seems like they're really going to reduce the skill gap. Shooting is a lot more viable now but since it's bloom and not recoil you can only get so good at that before you're on par with everyone else. Not really sure what they're going for here tbh.

edit: Ignore how annoying this guy is but this isn't very good https://clips.twitch.tv/CovertAgitatedCurryHeyGuys

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

prom candy posted:

Surprised they nerfed building even more. In chasing a more exciting spectator esport it seems like they're really going to reduce the skill gap. Shooting is a lot more viable now but since it's bloom and not recoil you can only get so good at that before you're on par with everyone else. Not really sure what they're going for here tbh.

edit: Ignore how annoying this guy is but this isn't very good https://clips.twitch.tv/CovertAgitatedCurryHeyGuys

Wow, looks awful if that’s really how easy it is to destroy cover

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

prom candy posted:

I cant wait to have an easier time of knocking out the two ramps holding up the monolith of 2 build lords fighting.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 24, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I've finally come to the realization that having my build buttons bound to my mouse is limiting, gonna move wall and ramp to Q and E, perhaps the others to Z, X and C as well. It's too hard trying to shoot people and throw up walls with everything bound to the mouse.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

MF_James posted:

I've finally come to the realization that having my build buttons bound to my mouse is limiting, gonna move wall and ramp to Q and E, perhaps the others to Z, X and C as well. It's too hard trying to shoot people and throw up walls with everything bound to the mouse.

I use Q, E, etc and it works pretty well. Definitely took a couple days of terrible matches to get used to those keybinds, but I think it’s better than mouse binds.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So weary of buying second hand computers but if all goes well I'll be picking up a decent machine, i7 6th gen/12gb/940mx 2gb, should be able to handle the game half decent eh?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
"Added "Sprint By Default" option, when enabled this makes sprint the default movement. The sprint key will now be used to transition into walking."

Oh thank loving god. I'm too goddamn old to be holding shift non-stop, so I switched to toggle sprint, which means I constantly had to re-enable it after doing almost anything.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

prom candy posted:

He was also using the new P90 which does a lot of damage

Honestly I don't really see the problem with nerfing freshly placed buildings like in that video, as long as a completed one can still resist a bit.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Fitzy Fitz posted:

He was also using the new P90 which does a lot of damage

Honestly I don't really see the problem with nerfing freshly placed buildings like in that video, as long as a completed one can still resist a bit.

Wood wall max health was also reduced from 200 to 150. Metal wall max health is up from 400 to 500 though. But its build time was nerfed from 20s to 25s. It's a tricky thing to balance I guess. Ramp rushing is cool and fun, spam building in a 1v1 is lame and boring.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

If I'm reading the patch notes right, it sounds like you can destroy any (player-built) wooden wall with two pickaxe wacks, whether you get a crit or not. I'm not sure how long it used to take, but I would guess like 4-5 hits. Taking down towers by pickaxe should be more viable.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Man I wish I knew the new SMG did that, I lost to a builder because I didn't think it would touch his tower.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The old SMGs were solid against buildings too... a few patches ago I think they removed damage dropoff against structures from like all the guns

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Maybe I will stumble into a win now.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MF_James posted:

I could never make mouse buttons work, so I build with Q, E, V, 4, and T. It works fine for me.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

codo27 posted:

So weary of buying second hand computers but if all goes well I'll be picking up a decent machine, i7 6th gen/12gb/940mx 2gb, should be able to handle the game half decent eh?

One of my favorite upgrades had me going from a Athlon 64 3200+ to a Core 2 Duo I bought on here second hand. I think it was just cpu, motherboard, ram, Geforce and a monitor.
That 940mx is a little anemic though.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Best update right here...

If the same player knocks out and eliminates an enemy with two different weapons, they will get elimination quest progress for both weapons.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm still deeply ambivalent about them tweaking HP numbers (though the stone HP change is actually a big, big deal; it was always dumb that wood was the correct material to build with 89% of the time) instead of just biting the bullet and introducing some kind of cooldown system to building. Not like a full blown time gap between walls, but at least something like a time-out from re-building a wall that's just been destroyed.

Regardless, you shouldn't have to exhaust someone's entire supply of wood just to land a single shot on them, so I guess we'll see how this plays out.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Sad thing about the change is it nerfs mostly offensive building i.e. when you are trying to ramp up into an enemy 1x1 - if the opponent already has the tower up the change is insignificant or even a buff if they used metal to build it.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Did they seriously make gyro inverted if you use inverted Y-axis stick controls and there's no option to go back to how it was before? What the gently caress.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Seditiar posted:

I'm so happy they gave Twine Peaks desert/thunder route 99 maps as well. The desert biome looks amazing.

I'm trying to hedge my optimism, but I'm really hoping Twine Peaks gets a forest hellscape biome that's as good as Canny is. They knocked this one out of the park.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Father Wendigo posted:

I'm trying to hedge my optimism, but I'm really hoping Twine Peaks gets a forest hellscape biome that's as good as Canny is. They knocked this one out of the park.

Yeah, loving the story so far. Haven't paid that much attention in Stonewood/Plankerton, but it seems way better now, more fleshed out as well. Definitely helps to finally have a new biome after thousands of maps, though.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

My only request is if the desert stays they add a cactus disguise like the bush. It’s stupid, but so much fun to tool around with.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does Battle Royale have matchmaking? I feel like I’m constantly being downed in like one shot even with full shields.:smith:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Had the weirdest freaking start to a match. Landed in Tomato Town on the chest where the big head used to be along with one other person. Snatched a sniper out it and we both immediately ran off. He ran into the restaurant and I made a quick loop of the other locations. No other weapons. I beelined to the house outside of Tomato Town, nothing other than some grenades. The other guy found me there and I blew up the house with the nades but didn't get him. Ran to the tunnel, which was cleared out. Saw the other guy at the end, and got a lucky sniper hit after like 7 shots. Turns out he didn't find anything either in that entire area.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Had the weirdest freaking start to a match. Landed in Tomato Town on the chest where the big head used to be along with one other person. Snatched a sniper out it and we both immediately ran off. He ran into the restaurant and I made a quick loop of the other locations. No other weapons. I beelined to the house outside of Tomato Town, nothing other than some grenades. The other guy found me there and I blew up the house with the nades but didn't get him. Ran to the tunnel, which was cleared out. Saw the other guy at the end, and got a lucky sniper hit after like 7 shots. Turns out he didn't find anything either in that entire area.

These are the best games.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

This is basically the description of any tomato town drop. That area only has two or three possible chests, one of which is in the houses outside of tomato town proper. The rest of the gun spawns are poo poo too.

You’re much better off going next door into wailing woods or loot lodge. Both have less people and a lot more resources.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
There's also the secret room in the tunnel. Turns out that can have two chests right next to each other in it (in 50v50 with the increased chest chance anyway :v:).

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

There's also the secret room in the tunnel. Turns out that can have two chests right next to each other in it (in 50v50 with the increased chest chance anyway :v:).

Love that secret room. In duos we usually drop lazy links, kill everyone and loot then kart to the eastern bridge, dangling truck and moai head. After that we push into the tomato tunnel and those chests are almost always sitting intact behind that wall.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does Battle Royale have matchmaking? I feel like I’m constantly being downed in like one shot even with full shields.:smith:

I don't think so. Playing duos or squads with a friend who knows the game and following their lead is probably the best way to learn the game (or I guess watching streamers if you're into that). For being, like, the biggest online game in the world right now, it's surprising that there's like zero tutorial or onboarding lol.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I mean I know how to play somewhat. I’m just always astonished by how quickly I die the moment I get into a firefight. It seems like I just get headshotted instantly every time.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Guys I just got killed because I was distracted playing the skeet game at loot lake.

I got distracted playing a game INSIDE A GAME!!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
if that ain't a commentary on life I dunno what is

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m pretty sure it doesn’t and I’m pretty sure there would be a riot if they did skill based matchmaking.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m pretty sure it doesn’t and I’m pretty sure there would be a riot if they did skill based matchmaking.

They talked about it at once point, but the pitchforks and torches came out pretty quick. They dropped that idea super fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Why would people be upset over that? Streamers wouldn’t be able to make comp videos as easily?