Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ok so launch thruster were overhauled and are much more manageable in Survival. Looks like you building launch fuel by crafting a metal plate (ferite dust / very common) and hydrogen jelly (common blue crystals) and each fuel capsule you make is 50%.

No more 200 uranium needed per launch. Mining tool is charged with carbon (plants). You still need oxygen for life support from the same red plants as before (forgot what they used to be called). And you use sodium for element protection. All in all as far as first impressions go they’ve fragmented the needs of your tools and poo poo so you’re no longer hoping for endless uranium. A good easier start all things considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panda clue
May 23, 2014
What's the exact differences between normal and survival mode?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

panda clue posted:

Everything hurts and costs more and resources are more scarce

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

panda clue posted:

You notice everything that's still broken about the game way more than you normally would. Specifically, scanning for a resource you're in dire need of returns a resource a mile away when there's one probably 10 feet away. I honestly hated the game while playing survival.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

New Zealand can eat me posted:

If it's a new feature but nobody can find it, is it really a feature?

:allears:

Steam never processed my refund on this, going to go play it for 2 hours and come back with an honest take devoid of delusion

The first thing you experience in this "game" is still 5 minutes of "loading shaders" on a single thread at 10% GPU activity. After adjusting the graphical settings up from a 30fps max framerate and immediately crashing, still not seeing more than 56fps or so on an 1800X @ 4.1, 32GB of DDR4, and a Vega 64 at max settings. Frame times approach many hundreds of milliseconds if you look at the game funny.

Everything still looks like dogshit late 90's cable. I don't know how to describe the way the sky looked other than "endless JPEG compression artifacts". Extremely unimpressive and underwhelming. The "clouds" are like baby's first webgl voxel shader toy. Still unlikely to see more than 5 or 6 plants at the same time. I noticed they figured out how to tack lights onto NPCs as some creatures seem to glow now

It still lacks extremely basic quality of life functions such as: automatically crafting the required parts from your inventory if you have the materials needed to do so. The UI is a mess and accomplishing anything is a mess of shortcut keys and left/right hold click down here but only single click there. Whatever base building poo poo they added only seems to compound on the brokenness of this.

Ground combat does not seem to have changed much at all. Sentinels and creatures still poof into and out of thin air

I also forgot just how terrible this game is without a modded, unlimited jetpack and sprint. There's still no auto run/quick travel function, which is amusing when even games like PUBG and Fork Knife include auto run.

I continue to be impressed with how far goons can hide up their own rear end. Couldn't make it more than 60 minutes without getting bored.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Have they made it so you can just craft a warp cell rather than craft a thing to craft another thing to craft another thing to craft a warp cell? I don't even think all those components are used in anything else are they?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

screaden posted:

Have they made it so you can just craft a warp cell rather than craft a thing to craft another thing to craft another thing to craft a warp cell? I don't even think all those components are used in anything else are they?
As far as I can tell... you still have to do this except now the ingredients are different and one of them requires using a refinery. That being said, they do have a "craft another one of these" button and I don't know if that is smart enough to go through the whole tree and your inventory or if it only works with 1-tier-down required ingredients.

I was really hoping they'd add some kind of automation so you wouldn't have to do so much manual work to craft but it appears they just added more manual work. However, I don't know what tech they've added with this update, so maybe I just don't have the blueprint for building the auto-combiner or whatever.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

The update took less than 15 mins to download off steam. I love my new net connection. Now I just have to get home from work so I can die in hellfire

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I continue to be impressed with how far goons can hide up their own rear end. Couldn't make it more than 60 minutes without getting bored.

I don't think this game is for you.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

playing on PS4 Pro, game runs fine until I use the terrain manipulator then it feels like it's barely holding holding together. I tried to dig a hole to get to a buried relic and the game crashed.

game's pretty fun tho

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

There are some broken things about the engine, for sure. Someone joined my game and for a moment my world temporarily disappeared and my buildings fell through the ground, lost to time (nothing a quick reload couldn't fix) so that's awful.

However, at least now I can alt-tab while the game loads and it won't gently caress with other windows I have open. This was a serious bug with the previous engine that would force me to close programs I had running just to play NMS. It was... really hard to describe but it basically made the edges of windows impossible to access anymore, so minimize, maximize, and close were all unavailable, as was resizing. Truly strange and compromising poo poo NMS's engine did.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Holy poo poo is the world gen interesting now, this was my starting planet:

The mountains were absolutely huge. This screenshot doesn't even really capture it, I wanted to get to the top of a massive peak behind me but I was playing survival and I was dying.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Ran into a couple people on my second planet. There are no key bindings listed for emotes so sorry for not saying hello dudes.

Had a couple of issues so far. First was having underground artifacts disappearing off my visor after I get right on top of them. The marker vanishes and digging produces nothing.

Next had a broken piece of quest text pop up. Tried screenshotting the broken piece of code it gave me but no luck. I still got the quest at least.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Next had a broken piece of quest text pop up. Tried screenshotting the broken piece of code it gave me but no luck. I still got the quest at least.

A part of the game's lore involves data corruption. That may have been on purpose.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Dehry posted:

A part of the game's lore involves data corruption. That may have been on purpose.

Nah, it was some broken locator code like 'DATA_QUEST_LOCATION_INI' and the quest was to kill some space pirates.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I've seen the things:

- Not retarded looking dinosaur;
- Distinct continents on a water world!
- Seems I have a bug and my ships cockpit hatch wont close properly.

Overall, so far after 1.5 hours.. looking good.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This game is now pretty much what I wanted at launch. Still plenty of bugs but drat what a difference.

I think if Sony had just let Hello Games say that it was in early access and it would be poo poo at first they both would have had less of a hassle.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Knifegrab posted:

Holy poo poo is the world gen interesting now, this was my starting planet:

The mountains were absolutely huge. This screenshot doesn't even really capture it, I wanted to get to the top of a massive peak behind me but I was playing survival and I was dying.

I started on a pretty frozen forest world myself. Unfortunately the next spot it sent me (the moon of the starting world) was a toxic hellhole of giant mushrooms.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Spent some time in the game, started over. Didn't really play any of the new updates past launch.

Graphically the game has some leaps and bounds, I've been to the three planets in my starter system so far - Frosty rolling hills with some small caves, a vast acid swampland world with lush water and a full Mad Max desert planet and they've all been stunning. Controls still feel sluggish, animals behave largely uniformly and the interface remains a faff, but there definitely feels like a lot more going on and it can't be emphasised enough how fixing the drawing distance and loosening up the procgen has really made the worlds feel a lot more immersive to explore.

I wish this game had VR support so badly.

Press the switch modes button for your multitool fast enough and you'll jam it into your skull until you relaunch the game

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

I had a concerning start to NEXT, I was getting a hard crash every 2-3 minutes while playing on PS4. Tried a few different things and nothing worked.
Finally tried setting my system time from NZST to EST (since it felt autosave-y and timezones are a chaos beast) and that worked.

Now I can explore the pretty but freezing cold planet I started on :)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Grimey Drawer

The first thing you experience in this "game" is still 5 minutes of "loading shaders" on a single thread at 10% GPU activity. After adjusting the graphical settings up from a 30fps max framerate and immediately crashing, still not seeing more than 56fps or so on an 1800X @ 4.1, 32GB of DDR4, and a Vega 64 at max settings. Frame times approach many hundreds of milliseconds if you look at the game funny.

Everything still looks like dogshit late 90's cable. I don't know how to describe the way the sky looked other than "endless JPEG compression artifacts". Extremely unimpressive and underwhelming. The "clouds" are like baby's first webgl voxel shader toy. Still unlikely to see more than 5 or 6 plants at the same time. I noticed they figured out how to tack lights onto NPCs as some creatures seem to glow now

It still lacks extremely basic quality of life functions such as: automatically crafting the required parts from your inventory if you have the materials needed to do so. The UI is a mess and accomplishing anything is a mess of shortcut keys and left/right hold click down here but only single click there. Whatever base building poo poo they added only seems to compound on the brokenness of this.

Ground combat does not seem to have changed much at all. Sentinels and creatures still poof into and out of thin air

I also forgot just how terrible this game is without a modded, unlimited jetpack and sprint. There's still no auto run/quick travel function, which is amusing when even games like PUBG and Fork Knife include auto run.

Are you ok?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I just found the hyperdrive. Even on survival outside of the very first trek to your ship nothing has been unfair. I don’t have a normal play through to compare resource cost yet but aside from actually building a base everything seems reasonable or easy enough to gather. Having to craft tools only once and being able to take them with you is going to make exploring planets mich easier. You can plop down, setup a quick base then go from there. Resources seem enough to make what you find useful while not being overtly generous with it that you don’t need to bother looking for poo poo after finding a bit. I still need to sometimes do a blind run for oxygen away from the base and hope to not get caught in a storm but oxygen glowing now makes that search a little easier.

Now I need to make some money for the next step so let’s see how good or bad that is. Oh and to get on the discord so I can play with you idiots.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I played NMS a bit after the last update and it ran fine, but this sure is a lot of 5 fps shader loading from an SSD. Excited to see how the game runs when it eventually finishes?

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Updated. Can't wait to smoke, chill, and start a new game.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Harminoff posted:

Didn't gog never get the orb multiplayer either?

I play this game on GoG and it did have orbs

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

Updated. Can't wait to smoke, chill, and start a new game.

:hmmyes:

I'm digging the new update hard

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Fuuuuuuuck, I'm loving all the changes but the interface still gets stretched at 21:9 resolutions :negative:

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

I too like to endlessly load shaders, please tell me it doesn’t do this on every start up...

Edit: I think I loaded everyone’s shaders, you’re welcome

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

xilni posted:

I too like to endlessly load shaders, please tell me it doesn’t do this on every start up...

If its anything like previous fresh installs of NMS, it shouldnt.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Nah, it was some broken locator code like 'DATA_QUEST_LOCATION_INI' and the quest was to kill some space pirates.

I had one of these on a feeding mission.

Not too worried about it though, I'm honestly expecting a cleanup patch within the next week or so to address things like this. Small studio and all that stuff.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Appreciating the amount of customisation. Geks are so cute :3:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So does water look like flickery seran wrap in picture mode for anyone else?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
You can leave dark soul style messages in your uploaded base for other travelers. Maybe that was in before this is the first time I'm playing.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

This was cool to load into the first time, those clouds where racing across my screen and changing

Than I died during startup as it was a heated, not breathable wasteland :v:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Stevefin posted:

This was cool to load into the first time, those clouds where racing across my screen and changing

Than I died during startup as it was a heated, not breathable wasteland :v:

On the thumbnail this looks like raw chicken on a mound of paprika

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Picked this up at Gamestop for 20bux on PS4. Played to the point where I'm ready to leave my first/tutorial planet. Game seems alright, glad I waited for it to get out of early access :can:

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I like the bigger creatures and sense of scale you get with third person now (image from reddit).

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Grabbed this today with the 50% sale on Steam and put a few hours into it. It seems decently promising; I think the starting quest is just about the right amount of hand-holding to get you introduced to the world and the mechanics. It runs fine on my PC, and the environments and creatures are neat to explore, at least at first.

The inventory system could be better, but it's not the worst that I've seen. Doing stuff like using the refinery seems to take way too many button presses to turn Thing X into Thing Y. At least transferring materials between your suit and your ship (and, I hope, eventually base storage) is quick and easy.

One thing I'm wondering is how many levels deep the more advanced crafting goes. Like, one of the worst things in a game with crafting is when a Tier 4 widget requires several Tier 3 widgets that each require several Tier 2 which is made from Tier 1... so in order to make a single Hyper Turbo-encabulator you basically have to spend five minutes re-enacting the industrial revolution starting from a huge pile of ore and twigs. Without some way to automatically build the intermediate parts as long as you have all the raw materials that gets tedious real quick. I'm already getting a little leery when the game says "oh you have to refine this basic carbon into special carbon in order to make this thing".

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I played for close to 50 hours at launch and then put the game away for 2 years. It's not that I didn't like it, I had a great time with it, but I ran out of what I felt were meaningful things to do, and then other games and other life stuff took precedence over checking out the various updates.

I picked this back up today and started a new save and holy poo poo it's like No Man's Sky 3 or something. There's a lot more life to the game, stations have stuff, buildings are slightly better than the original procedural buildings made out of 3 part options, and just in general there seems to be stuff to do now. There's bases and stuff, which I guess have been in a while now, but I haven't touched it in probably 1 year 11 months.

However, I'm so loving confused. I am going absolutely bonkers with inventory management because I don't know what I should be keeping or selling, and the crafting is really confusing to me. This is partly because they've hidden random bits inside the crafting machine for some reason, and partly because I'm an idiot who stockpiles. I also have no idea how to get a bigger ship anymore. When I first played I just constantly scanned for crashed ships and just worked my way up to the biggest. That doesn't appear to work anymore since crashed ships will have 3/4 of their inventory slots busted, so it's rather not worth it to get one eventual extra slot after you spend a bazillion materials to fix the 10 broken ones.

What's a decent way to make money in this now? What's a good way to get a better ship? How can I stop going absolutely mad with inventory management in that I'm always having to figure out what material that I think I'll need to destroy because I always have every slot full everywhere?

I'm not saying this is the game's fault (well, maybe a little, it really could use some autocrafting for intermediaries and maybe a good diagram of what's needed for what) because I only put a few hours into it today and probably missed some explanations, plus wikis aren't updated yet. I'm also being somewhat impatient but I really need to figure this inventory poo poo out because it sucks always having a full inventory and being afraid to get rid of anything because I might need it later. When I play Skyrim I always just setcarryweight to 100000000 in the console so I don't have to do that crap because it just stresses me out. I'm not really wanting to do the equivalent cheat here, but I guess what should I be keeping early in the game and what should I be selling or destroying? Should I be building a base immediately (past the tutorial one) and storing poo poo in there? It seems early and I haven't found any planets I don't hate.

I'm looking forward to giving this game another go but I really need to get past my problem with that :\

Edit: the upgrade system also appears impenetrable at first glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Found an upgrade pod and instead of being sequential cost to upgrade it now requires separate system repairs of various difficulty.

I have to treat this as a brand new game because old NMS was so loving barebones nothing really had any actual requirements outside of money or raw materials. It’s a welcome change to actually need to establish and produce/refine stuff in order to upgrade and improve.

Also a very noticeable and welcome change is that you. I longer get caught in the atmosphere when orbiting a planet to a waypoint in the distance. Pulse drive automatically puts you in a proper orbit so you’re not flying into the planet every 5 second. Same if you lock into a station around planet, I believe.