Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Already have Sisters on DVD, but will upgrade. I've seen it like 5+ times, one of my fav DePalmas. A movie I could def watch every October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm not one to fetishize packaging, but that's perfect.

Nice packaging. I kinda miss the ambigram font tho

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Prime day has slightly cheaper than B&N sale prices at the moment for a bunch of Criterion’s. Grabbed 5 that would normally total $109 where I live for $94.

Sword of Doom, Rashomon, Hidden Fortress, F is for Fake, and Slackers. All blind buys except Sword of Doom.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Asnorban posted:

Prime day has slightly cheaper than B&N sale prices at the moment for a bunch of Criterion’s. Grabbed 5 that would normally total $109 where I live for $94.

Sword of Doom, Rashomon, Hidden Fortress, F is for Fake, and Slackers. All blind buys except Sword of Doom.

A lot of box sets are cheap, too.

Zatoichi is only $80 and The Complete Jacques Tati is only $50.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Got Scanners for $14.88 (uhhhhhh). Way cheaper than I was hoping from B&N if they fixed the price. So, I got everything I wanted! Hot dog!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Boywhiz88 posted:

Got Scanners for $14.88 (uhhhhhh). Way cheaper than I was hoping from B&N if they fixed the price. So, I got everything I wanted! Hot dog!

At last Bezos reveals his politics.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Costa-Gavras' The Confession just went out of print suddenly. Criterion apparently confirmed they lost the rights. State of Siege will probably go soon, too.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Egbert Souse posted:

Costa-Gavras' The Confession just went out of print suddenly. Criterion apparently confirmed they lost the rights. State of Siege will probably go soon, too.

Thanks for sharing, I bought both of them before they shoot up to 90 dollars.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I seriously think I’m gonna get a multi-region blu player just for that Bergman set. Any other UK goons in this thread that know good options which won’t bankrupt a dude?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Egbert Souse posted:

God, this film is too timely to go out of print. It's such a bizarre yet powerful film.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just watched In Cold Blood. Real gut punch of a film. Conrad Hall knew how to light the hell out of black and white.

Also, TIL what Truman Capote sounded like.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm not one to fetishize packaging, but that's perfect.

Wow, great choice.

Their page says it includes "Edited 1987 audiobook reading of Goldman’s novel The Princess Bride by Reiner." It really is a great book, too bad it's not an unabridged reading.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

A Matter of Life and Death is out today. Everyone needs to pick it up. Powell and Pressburger, shot by Jack Cardiff, and (mostly) in Technicolor. Also a Sony 4K restoration.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Finally watched F is for Fake as I picked it up in this sale. Very fun film. I clearly need to watch more Orson Welles.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

checkplease posted:

Finally watched F is for Fake as I picked it up in this sale. Very fun film. I clearly need to watch more Orson Welles.

Othello is one of his best and the Criterion is one of their best releases ever.

Also pick up Chimes at Midnight and The Immortal Story since they’re masterpieces, too. The latter is a real rediscovered gem. Welles doing Isak Dineson with music by Satie. Also his third movie in a row with Jeanne Moreau.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I really need to rewatch Immortal Story. I saw it years before the Criterion blu-ray came out and was baffled by it more than anything.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I hadn't seen Chimes at Midnight or The Immortal Story until the Blu-rays, but the restoration of the latter is mind-blowingly beautiful.

Also, I picked up Mishima after stopping by B&N to get A Matter of Life and Death.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

checkplease posted:

get your hands on the mr arkadin criterion as it is also one of their best releases

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Brits are getting A Raisin in the Sun, Rublev, and The Uninvited

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm back chipping away at the They Shoot Pictures Don't They list, and I am struggling with Sans Soleil. I've sat down literally three times to watch it and I've still got an hour left. I'm having an incredibly difficult time keeping my mind focused on it as I'm watching it. Makes me feel like a super dullard.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I had a similar experience with Sans Soleil when I first watched it a few years ago. I think part of your problem may be that there is nothing definitive to focus your mind on. Motifs and themes are occasionally repeated, but you have no clear line of thought running through the film as you'd expect from traditional documentaries/essays. It's much closer to stream of conciousness writing than a conventional narrative.

Consequently, what helped me appreciate the film was treating it as a series of impressions; the cinematic equivalent of zapping through TV channels late at night (I don't think it's an accident that the film itself uses the exact same visual metaphor). Some channels are more accessible or interesting than others, and you never get a full impression of anything you see, but in the end, the various images still coalesce into a concrete (and hopefully fulfilling) experience.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 25, 2018

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sans Soleil was the Criterion that taught me that I should probably be at least a little bit more careful with blind buys. Cool that other people are able to enjoy it but it is 100% not a film I was ever going to enjoy.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think it's also fair to say that even the people who champion Sans Soleil don't like every part of it equally, and which part they do like strongly depends on their personal preferences. I vividly remember the musings on youth culture in Japan and the story about a time traveller visiting us from an era of perfect memory, but a lot of other disgressions have become a blur since I last watched the film.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. If nothing else it's teaching me precisely which traits in film are required to keep my attention. I sat through all 7+ hours of Satantango with my attention focused and my eyes glued to the screen, so it's definitely not plot or pacing. Even a series of five-minute shots slowly panning and tracking have a visual continuity. Same deal with Shoah, where everything is unified by the underlying historical event and emotional weight. I guess that's the key: connectivity from one thing to the next, whether that "thing" is story, visuals, theme, etc. Without any of that, it is, like Samuel Clemens said, channel surfing.

*sigh* okay I'll force my way through it tonight. Maybe a few beers will help.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

La Jetee is definitely the better movie of that set, despite being a fraction of the length.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I haven't watched Sans Soleil yet, but yeah it would be pretty hard to beat the greatest PowerPoint presentation ever made.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I liked La Jetee well enough, mostly because I didn't know it was the basis for 12 Monkeys and that was a fun thing to discover as I watched it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Oh, I think San Soleil is brilliant. I was kind of dreading it in the Shame thread because I'd tried to watch it a couple times and could never get very far past the opening, but something about it really pulled me in. I particularly liked the shrouding of text via multiple separations of narrator - the letters from the imaginary cameraman, who may or may not represent Marker's actual viewpoint, are read by a woman, who remarks on them with her own ideas and reactions. The whole film deals in allusions and strange, jolting connections - during the synthesized footage of kamikaze planes, we are told that, when presented this way, "war looks like the burning of books". It's so dense and fraught with the suggestion of cohesive linkage and transformation, like in a dream, when something becomes something else, and it seems like it was inevitable.

It would make a great double feature with Laurie Anderson's Heart of a Dog, which is similarly discursive.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Spatulater bro! posted:

If nothing else it's teaching me precisely which traits in film are required to keep my attention. I sat through all 7+ hours of Satantango with my attention focused and my eyes glued to the screen, so it's definitely not plot or pacing. Even a series of five-minute shots slowly panning and tracking have a visual continuity. Same deal with Shoah, where everything is unified by the underlying historical event and emotional weight. I guess that's the key: connectivity from one thing to the next, whether that "thing" is story, visuals, theme, etc.

I hope you're not going through the TSPDT list in order of ranking, because relatively soon after Sans Soleil comes Godard's Histoire(s) du cinéma, and if you thought the former was disjointed, hoo boy.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I liked Histoire(s). :smith:

It is pretty disjointed but I also think that's part of the point of the whole project.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 25, 2018

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I just love that one movie contains both "I tried to make digital art based on Tarkovsky's idea of Zones" and "Pac-Man is a metaphor for life, man."

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Radio Spiricom posted:

get your hands on the mr arkadin criterion as it is also one of their best releases

It's still DVD-only, though, I think all three cuts are HD on Filmstruck. France got a Blu of the Confidential Report version.

Criterion is working on The Magnificent Ambersons, which I bet will be amazing. Then they just need to somehow grab The Trial away from Lionsgate and upgrade Mr. Arkadin to complete his finished work on Blu-ray in the US. At least until The Other Side of the Wind is released.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Most of my Criterion purchases are pure blind buys, and the few that I don't really like (Last Year at Marienbad comes to mind for me) are at least movies that I can appreciate. Then again even I haven't gone so far as to blind buy movies that I'm reasonably certain I'll dislike, like Tiny Furniture.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

GrandpaPants posted:

Most of my Criterion purchases are pure blind buys, and the few that I don't really like (Last Year at Marienbad comes to mind for me) are at least movies that I can appreciate. Then again even I haven't gone so far as to blind buy movies that I'm reasonably certain I'll dislike, like Tiny Furniture.

I kind of like Marienbad because I've never been able to finish it without falling asleep. It makes for a great cure for insomnia.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Has anyone here actually watched Tiny Furniture? I have no doubt it is terrible, but why?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think people just like dumping on Lena Dunham. Isn't it one of the first feature films to get a wide release that was shot on a DSLR?

Macrame_God posted:

I kind of like Marienbad because I've never been able to finish it without falling asleep. It makes for a great cure for insomnia.

I kept falling asleep during the first 15 minutes because it was almost trance-like. Kind of wish I didn't sell it off (along with The Man Who Fell to Earth for rent money during some hard times).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I loved Girls but couldn’t make it very far into Tiny Furniture. It’s basically Dunham haters’ concept of Girls, but maybe even more irritating than that.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Egbert Souse posted:

I think people just like dumping on Lena Dunham. Isn't it one of the first feature films to get a wide release that was shot on a DSLR?

Other than TF being a bad movie, I really hate the story of how it got on Criterion. Basically, Scott Rudin is a friend of Lena Dunham’s parents, who are huge in the NYC art scene. Scott Rudin pressured Janus Films to put TF into the Criterion selection as a favor to them by threatening to withhold the rights to other films Janus wanted.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Has anyone here actually watched Tiny Furniture? I have no doubt it is terrible, but why?

I watched it and thought it had some funny moments. It captures that ordinary urban ennui that some older millennials are going through. I haven't seen that expressed in too many films. It's similar to the film Girlfriends (1978).

I didn't like Yoga Hosers (2016) as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VoodooXT posted:

Other than TF being a bad movie, I really hate the story of how it got on Criterion. Basically, Scott Rudin is a friend of Lena Dunham’s parents, who are huge in the NYC art scene. Scott Rudin pressured Janus Films to put TF into the Criterion selection as a favor to them by threatening to withhold the rights to other films Janus wanted.

Do you have any kind of source on this?