Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Please restore the outline drawing of the loading smiley because ever since it changed to a solid colour reloading threads to see new posts by swiping up has become lovely and broken in the 5500 page thread I read/inhabit

Thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Any interest in adding the ability to ignore mods/admins?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
This is might be a really dumb question but where is the thread vote option?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Handen posted:

This is might be a really dumb question but where is the thread vote option?

Bottom right of the screen. Under the share button

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Sorry to bring this up again but I gave my wife my Android tablet so I'm using the iPad Pro more and I'm still consistently moving to the next page in a thread accidentally. I don't want to disable swipe for next page, but I think we'd talked about maybe it needing to be a bit more of a distance or something? Are there any plans in the near future to maybe implement something along those lines? I won't ask for an adjustable setting this time I promise.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

101 posted:

Bottom right of the screen. Under the share button

:doh: thank you

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Just noticed I can change the app icon, thanks!!! Some really cool alternatives :mrgw:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

shortspecialbus posted:

Sorry to bring this up again but I gave my wife my Android tablet so I'm using the iPad Pro more and I'm still consistently moving to the next page in a thread accidentally. I don't want to disable swipe for next page, but I think we'd talked about maybe it needing to be a bit more of a distance or something? Are there any plans in the near future to maybe implement something along those lines? I won't ask for an adjustable setting this time I promise.

could it be that the swipe to next page only activates if you’ve solidly hit the bottom? like, momentum from swiping up can’t activate it from the top or middle of a thread, only if you’re already at the bottom?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

star eater posted:

could it be that the swipe to next page only activates if you’ve solidly hit the bottom? like, momentum from swiping up can’t activate it from the top or middle of a thread, only if you’re already at the bottom?

Yeah, that’s my preference.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Keith Atherton posted:

I've posted about this before but I have an issue where forums will auto-refresh but the thread list is messed up and there will be dead threads listed. Instead of the standard number of threads on the first page there are like two pages worth and at the end the "pull up to go to next page" doesn't work. Manually pulling down at the top of the thread list to refresh fixes it. Ive only noticed it in GBS and PYF (I know, lol don't read those forums problem solved lol).

Not a huge deal and maybe just me but wanted to report

Always ok to report :) it's not just you, I'll +1 the issue.

Grace Baiting posted:

Just wanted to mention that the "[/..]" keyboard button while posting still doesn't understand nested bbcode tags, and instead repeatedly attempts to re-close an already closed tag. So if you write bold-italics and try to close both tags with the "[/..]" button, and then hit it a few more times for fun, you'll get:
code:
[b][i]for closers[/i][//i][///i][////i][/////i]
I know I've mentioned this before (and iirc it cropped up after switching to Swift for the regexes, possibly?) but I think that was all in the old thread.

:sureboat:

Yep, I did a bad (and unnecessary!) porting job on it. It's on the list, I'll +1 it up.

Crime on a Dime posted:

Sent items folder in PM's would be grrrreat

Agreed!

Thanks for the detailed report and the lovely picture! I will add it to the list.

ZeeBoi posted:

Sometimes the app will swipe off to the right into some grey and I have to force quit it to work again.

Latest version, on iPhone 8 running 11.4

Does this happen when dismissing the in-app browser? Or any particular pattern you can detect?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Is Awful supported by any of those band-aid "open links to this app in the actual app instead of Safari" apps, like Opener?

No. If you can find out what needs to happen, I can take a look! If it helps, Awful already has a URL scheme for a bunch of things so hopefully it won't be too painful.

irpoweroutlet posted:

In public beta 2, tweets open in the twitter app again.

theflyingexecutive posted:

YouTube links reliably open in the app again, thanks!

I don't think I actually did anything to make this happen but a win's a win :toot:

Subjunctive posted:

When I post in this thread, apostrophes are stripped between compose and preview. People already think I’m an idiot, so no real harm, but weird. On the TestFlight channel.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3861354&perpage=40&pagenumber=9

I've seen this on and off too, it's pretty baffling. It's on my list. Sorry for the inconvenience!

(:hf: idiot club members)

spanky the dolphin posted:

Hey, I've made these now. They're named unread-msg, read-msg, rep-msg and fwd-msg.

(In the 2x & 3x folders)

I've also made changes to the others in the set (still same naming and dimensions) so if you could pop those into the next beta that'd be great!

e: Some other things - Share URL could maybe just be Share. I've changed that icon to the more typical share icon.

The brightness sun icons in settings currently appear black on the dark theme.

Thanks for this! Will get 'em into the next version.

boop the snoot posted:

I still have the issue where every now and then the screen will not be responsive unless I open threads with 3D Touch.

Not a huge inconvenience since it’s easy to just close the app and reopen, which has fixed it 100% of the time, just something I figured the dev would like to know.

iOS 11.4 and the most recent release of awful app.

I might've missed adding this to my list. Can you tell me more about it? Once you open a thread using 3D Touch, does everything go back to normal? Or are you forever stuck opening using 3D Touch?

Mad Wack posted:

feature request: replace the tasteful posting animation with a flushing or toilet bowl animation

tia

Not sure about this particular one but I'm always on board with goofy animations for things.

Caganer posted:

Are non plat users able to report now or is it a bug I can see the report button?

It's for compliance with section 1.2 User Generated Content of the App Store Review Guidelines:

quote:

To prevent abuse, apps with user-generated content or social networking services must include:

• A mechanism to report offensive content and timely responses to concerns

While Awful always sends off the report, the effectiveness of said report is out of my control. (Fun fact: this was implemented shortly after the App Review team goatse'd me, cheeky bastards.)

Subjunctive posted:

Can we start scraping https://www.twitter.com and mobile.twitter.com? Maybe it’s bad to diverge from the site there, I dunno. (Why doesn’t the site do it?)

Makes sense to me. I'm guessing the site would do it if it was considered when that feature was implemented. I'll add it to the list.

dismas posted:

Have we figured out how to get video links/gifs from embedded tweets to play in the app again yet?

I haven't, but in my defence I haven't put any effort into it yet :D I'll +1 it on the list.

Weedle posted:

Will filtering threads by tag ever work again? I seem to remember it used to... long, long ago.....

It's on the list!

shadow puppet of a posted:

Please restore the outline drawing of the loading smiley because ever since it changed to a solid colour reloading threads to see new posts by swiping up has become lovely and broken in the 5500 page thread I read/inhabit

Thank you

I'm not sure I'm following. What's broken and how would restoring the outline fix it?

Regular Nintendo posted:

Any interest in adding the ability to ignore mods/admins?

Not from me, that goes against my rule about staying approximately true to the website functionality. I'm not sure if it's important that mods and admins can't be ignored, but I'd rather not find out.

shortspecialbus posted:

I definitely want to fix it. No plans with timelines unfortunately.

Looke posted:

Just noticed I can change the app icon, thanks!!! Some really cool alternatives :mrgw:

Yeah I love 'em. I'm not one to volunteer spanky's time but if there are any requests…

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Is the source code available anywhere? I would like to help out. I generally program in c/c++/python, but would like to learn a bit about swift and iOS development.

I would tackle the twitter issues.

Edit: Is it this?
https://github.com/Awful/Awful.app

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 21, 2018

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That’s the one! Sorry in advance for the mess. Let me know if I can clarify anything, point you in the right direction, etc.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

Not sure about this particular one but I'm always on board with goofy animations for things.

Yeah I love 'em. I'm not one to volunteer spanky's time but if there are any requests…

Where else in the app could we have unique animations? I made some others a while ago we could try implementing. I think the :v: and :niggly: work well in their current places (loading threads/loading thread lists.) I thought the tick when you add a bookmark could be replaced with an animating tick on the book icon. Removing a mark could have the cross on a book (currently does another tick I think.)

Just previewing this post now and there's a blank screen for a second. Maybe one can go there? Top priority would probably be a satisfying animation for when you make a post.

I'm always willing to add new app icons. Not all of smilies translate well though.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ratbert90 posted:

Is the source code available anywhere? I would like to help out. I generally program in c/c++/python, but would like to learn a bit about swift and iOS development.

I would tackle the twitter issues.

Edit: Is it this?
https://github.com/Awful/Awful.app

Not to burst your bubble but the Twitter integration is 99% JavaScript.

I placed my order for a new laptop so soon I’ll have a development workstation running not Windows and can jump back in on some of these bugs :)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

carry on then posted:

Not to burst your bubble but the Twitter integration is 99% JavaScript.

I placed my order for a new laptop so soon I’ll have a development workstation running not Windows and can jump back in on some of these bugs :)

So I’ve noticed! I’m quite familiar with js as well. So far I’ve swapped the static widgets.js to the recommended “grab it from the internet” method. However, videos are still getting a 404 error when you hit play.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Maybe this animation for a new post?

Link.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

That might make people feel too good compared to whatever garbage they just smeared into a thread.

Like this post.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t think you can do the tag auto-closing with just regexes. You need to work backwards to track matched pairs, so you’d have to reverse the string, do the search, manage an arbitrarily deep capture set, and generally befoul things. I loaned a friend my laptop, but I suspect a straight port of the old logic into Swift would be reasonable.

Also, when replying to a PM, the text area doesn’t resize out of the way of the keyboard, so you end up with text and caret hidden underneath it. I bet that’s on the list somewhere.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t think you can do the tag auto-closing with just regexes. You need to work backwards to track matched pairs, so you’d have to reverse the string, do the search, manage an arbitrarily deep capture set, and generally befoul things. I loaned a friend my laptop, but I suspect a straight port of the old logic into Swift would be reasonable.

Also, when replying to a PM, the text area doesn’t resize out of the way of the keyboard, so you end up with text and caret hidden underneath it. I bet that’s on the list somewhere.

You don’t need to reverse the string, you just have to traverse backwards. :v:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ratbert90 posted:

You don’t need to reverse the string, you just have to traverse backwards. :v:

You can’t run regexes backwards, AFAIK.

The old code traversed backwards, indeed.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

You can’t run regexes backwards, AFAIK.

The old code traversed backwards, indeed.

That is true. However, the old saying goes:

If you are trying to solve a problem using regex, you now have two problems. :v:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ratbert90 posted:

That is true. However, the old saying goes:

If you are trying to solve a problem using regex, you now have two problems. :v:

Sure, I am recommending against them in this case! (The quote happens to be from a friend of mine, in fact.)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Sure, I am recommending against them in this case! (The quote happens to be from a friend of mine, in fact.)

I would do it the lazy, old fashion way personally:
Get string length -> loop though string backwards until ] is found -> get the character after ] -> generate closing tag.

Unless there’s a easier way to do so in swift. :v:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You’re roughly describing how the ObjC I wrote before worked (though tags are more than one character, you don’t want to “close” [*] or look inside [code] tags, and other incursions of reality). The code (and test cases) will be in the GitHub history if you want to look at it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

You’re roughly describing how the ObjC I wrote before worked (though tags are more than one character, you don’t want to “close” [*] or look inside [code] tags, and other incursions of reality). The code (and test cases) will be in the GitHub history if you want to look at it.

Fair enough, I can dig into it when I have time. Is there a irc or slack channel of which we could discuss this crap?

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Sereri posted:

That might make people feel too good compared to whatever garbage they just smeared into a thread.

Like this post.

Hmm yes maybe this one is more appropriate.

:shrek:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
A question so dumb I don’t want to clutter the thread with it.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 23, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What type of data is in the clipboard?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
D’oh!!!!

I thought I copied whatever I wanted to but I guess I didn’t.

This is your daily basic feature dumb post!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So the twitter issue seems to be a bit more complicated than I want.

Switching over to grabbing the latest widget.js doesn't help, it seems to still create a malformed video URL. Not sure where to go from here, as I am a lowly embedded Linux engineer that doesn't do the new fangeled twitters.

Odly enough, if I create a page on my desktop with the exact same JS, it seems to work. So it might be a iOS thing?

Violator
May 15, 2003

I browse these dead gay comedy forums more than I should, and the Awful app is a big reason why. Thank you for all of the hard work, it's a great app and brings a lot of joy. Or as much joy as being a part of this community can bring. :kiddo:

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Violator posted:

I browse these dead gay comedy forums more than I should, and the Awful app is a big reason why. Thank you for all of the hard work, it's a great app and brings a lot of joy. Or as much joy as being a part of this community can bring. :kiddo:

:agreed:

Thanks for all the hard work and good natured enthusiasm for feedback/criticism

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

spanky the dolphin posted:

Where else in the app could we have unique animations? I made some others a while ago we could try implementing. I think the :v: and :niggly: work well in their current places (loading threads/loading thread lists.) I thought the tick when you add a bookmark could be replaced with an animating tick on the book icon. Removing a mark could have the cross on a book (currently does another tick I think.)

Just previewing this post now and there's a blank screen for a second. Maybe one can go there? Top priority would probably be a satisfying animation for when you make a post.

I'm always willing to add new app icons. Not all of smilies translate well though.

Any screens that just stay blank while loading are bugs, we should fix those (custom animation or not).

Anywhere we show the loading hud is a candidate for a custom animation. I've also been thinking about a nicer way to report progress when tapping actions in popovers (like when you tap the … on a post). Not saying we need custom animations for every action icon, but if you get super bored… :)

Subjunctive posted:

This is what I tried to do, I think I just did an off-by-one error somewhere. Shouldn't be hard to fix.

quote:

Sure is, now with a +1!

ratbert90 posted:

Fair enough, I can dig into it when I have time. Is there a irc or slack channel of which we could discuss this crap?

There's the project.log thread if you just wanna get it outta here. If you want more realtime communication, I haven't set anything up but by all means go for it.

ratbert90 posted:

So the twitter issue seems to be a bit more complicated than I want.

Switching over to grabbing the latest widget.js doesn't help, it seems to still create a malformed video URL. Not sure where to go from here, as I am a lowly embedded Linux engineer that doesn't do the new fangeled twitters.

Odly enough, if I create a page on my desktop with the exact same JS, it seems to work. So it might be a iOS thing?

Is it an https thing? I forget what the base URL is for the web view where we load the posts but if it's an http url maybe that wrecks something. Also you could try attaching a web inspector to the web view and then trying to load tweets, maybe the inspector will dump out a useful error? (Attaching a web inspector: plug in your device/run simulator, then go to Safari > Develop > your device and pick the web view. (Turn on Develop menu: Safari menu > Preferences > Advanced > Show Develop menu in menu bar.))

Violator posted:

Keith Atherton posted:

:agreed:

Thanks for all the hard work and good natured enthusiasm for feedback/criticism

For my part, you're very welcome, and thanks to everyone for helping out (including everyone who reports issues and/or says nice things!).

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pokeyman posted:

Is it an https thing? I forget what the base URL is for the web view where we load the posts but if it's an http url maybe that wrecks something. Also you could try attaching a web inspector to the web view and then trying to load tweets, maybe the inspector will dump out a useful error? (Attaching a web inspector: plug in your device/run simulator, then go to Safari > Develop > your device and pick the web view. (Turn on Develop menu: Safari menu > Preferences > Advanced > Show Develop menu in menu bar.))

That's where I am getting my information from. :v:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
can't wait for ios 12 to come out and see people posting their screentime with awful at 7 hrs/day

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mad Wack posted:

can't wait for ios 12 to come out and see people posting their screentime with awful at 7 hrs/day

Whatup, it's in 11

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

That's where I am getting my information from. :v:

Ah. Then I got nothing :(

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

Any screens that just stay blank while loading are bugs, we should fix those (custom animation or not).

Anywhere we show the loading hud is a candidate for a custom animation. I've also been thinking about a nicer way to report progress when tapping actions in popovers (like when you tap the … on a post). Not saying we need custom animations for every action icon, but if you get super bored… :)

Oh yeah that's a cool idea. So you mean like if you hit the Post Settings button in the lower left the circular switches would swap places or something?

At the moment those bottom corner buttons (and the ... button) are obscured a bit by the 'tab' of the bubble that appears. I feel like that interface needs to be updated a bit - like maybe the background could dim more and blur out to emphasise the new window in the foreground. At the same time the button pressed could remain at full brightness and animate to its active state. Could also remove that little tab on the bubble.

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 26, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why do share sheets take so long to pop up? It’s not just Awful, but it definitely affects Awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Liking the new post icon 👌🏻