Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Has anyone mentioned gold trim packages on cars?

I'm glad that poo poo went away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

That commercial for tapes to learn French haunts me to this day.

loving Muzzy

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

a sexual elk posted:

loving Muzzy

Yes, that's French they're speaking. And no, these children aren't French, they're American. :smug:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Howard Beale posted:

Yes, that's French they're speaking. And no, these children aren't French, they're American. :smug:

This language program was developed by the British Broadcasting Corporation

International as gently caress

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Phanatic posted:

I like the gold badges on cars with that also very 90's dark metallic green color. Toyota did it best.

Best example I can find at the moment...

A buddy of mine back around '99 or so was obsessed with that color scheme. He had an early 90's Mitsubishi Eclipse in that dark green. It was festooned with gaudy gold poo poo inside and out. Shift knob, exhaust tips, the whole schmeer. I was there the day he decided to put the gold racing stripes on. He got this roll of gold foil stuff about 6" wide. He planned on putting two stripes side by side right up the middle of the car, decided he wanted to do it that day and it was a windy rear end day.

Long story short, it was all hosed up. They were crooked, crinkled and absolutely impossible to remove. There were spots where he tried to pull it back off and it took the paint off right down the primer. No matter what he did it just got worse and worse. Totally ruined that poor car.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

a sexual elk posted:

loving Muzzy

Je suis la jeune fille.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXzSE0uqmjI

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
The Words was mostly trash, intentionally trash, but sometimes something wonderful happened.

NWS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GypkmEUhHvQ

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This is on our playlist at work, and I forgot how much I hated this song, but thank god Blues Traveller was a one hit wonder. LIke what is so Bluesy about this song? The Harmonica? It makes me think of that scene in Ghost World where first they have an actual Blues legend on stage and no one cares, but then some white kids come out and everyone loses their poo poo when they start playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ousaiByU1ko

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

It makes me think of that scene in Ghost World where first they have an actual Blues legend on stage and no one cares, but then some white kids come out and everyone loses their poo poo when they start playing.

If you like authentic, way-down-in-the-Delta blues, you've gotta check out Blueshammer. (Poor Steve Buscemi.)

Of course there's a story Manfred Mann vocalist Paul Jones has about Sonny Boy Williamson coming to Britain in the 60s and playing with the Yardbirds backing him and remarking, "Man, these white boys wanna play the blues so badly... and they do." Similarly, even in one of their own original songs, the Animals joked about how it was somewhat ridiculous that they were a bunch of long-haired white guys from Newcastle playing Bo Diddley songs.

But I don't know. I feel like those guys had more respect for the material (and the most talented ones were able to evolve and do their own thing later on) than the Blueshammer stereotype.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Jul 24, 2018

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

twistedmentat posted:

This is on our playlist at work, and I forgot how much I hated this song, but thank god Blues Traveller was a one hit wonder. LIke what is so Bluesy about this song? The Harmonica? It makes me think of that scene in Ghost World where first they have an actual Blues legend on stage and no one cares, but then some white kids come out and everyone loses their poo poo when they start playing.

I WILL FIGHT YOU.

Listen to everything except the overplayed radio hit. Great band that got pigeonholed by one song.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Blues Traveler loving owns

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Too bad the lead singer has apparently become a doxxing psycho.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Who the hell plays harmonica

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Well that sucks

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The Green/Gold on cars reminded me of Snackwells Cookies. So popular that I remember they'd have shortages and people hording them.

But the green/gold thing. In the 90s I think there was a bit of a growing push to have every either low-cal or low/no-fat snack get rebranded with some sort of green label identifier to help consumers make healthy choices when using vending machines, snacking, etc. That trend I thought lasted for quite a few years but now that I mention it I don't know if that's really even big marketing practice these days.

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

twistedmentat posted:

Two-hit wonder, my dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdz5kCaCRFM

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I had a hand-me-down Dodge Stratus that color green for a while and I have to say it was nicer looking than cars now, where you can get some kind of silver or white, or if you pay $500 extra you can get black or red.

also gently caress Blues Traveler

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

John Popper is also a crazy prepper that was busted with 13 firearms in hidden compartments in a vehicle that was equipped with sirens, emergency lights and a fuckin P.A. system (lol) because he didn't want to be "left behind".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dillbag posted:

John Popper is also a crazy prepper that was busted with 13 firearms in hidden compartments in a vehicle that was equipped with sirens, emergency lights and a fuckin P.A. system (lol) because he didn't want to be "left behind".

That seems like a great way to attract the attention of the angry mobs/enemy soldiers/scavengers in the event of whatever constitutes an emergency he's "prepared" for.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Literally never heard that song, but then Blue Traveller were one of those bands that were super popular in the US but no one gave a gently caress about them in Canada. Like I didn't seen the video for Run Around until we took a vacation in the US. Then MTV was playing it constantly.

Man, MTV sucked rear end when it showed videos. Music Music was more like a radio station where it would play all kinds of videos throughout the day but MTV had like a dozen it would show and that was it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

There was a period of MTV where you had yourself a little late-night block of Beavis and Butt-head and, for reasons known only to whatever blessed weirdo was at the switches, 1960s Speed Racer, and that was a perfect chunk of TV.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder how much of the Blueshammer stereotype of white guys with frosted tips and flannel shirts doing the blues in the 90s is the one negative legacy of The Blues Brothers.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Pastry of the Year posted:

There was a period of MTV where you had yourself a little late-night block of Beavis and Butt-head and, for reasons known only to whatever blessed weirdo was at the switches, 1960s Speed Racer, and that was a perfect chunk of TV.

There was a good run until the Anime boom when dubbed, syndicated anime was dirt cheap and was the perfect time filler for networks. My 90s memory is getting up at 6 goddamn AM on Saturdays to watch Sailor Moon on WFXT Fox 25. On a rabbit ears antenna.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pastry of the Year posted:

I seem to remember that being around 1992/1993 because that was before I had cable, and I would only hear about it from other kids. By the time I got cable in the summer of 1994, Speed Racer was no more. It was just Beavis and Butthead followed by Alternative Nation, and then at 1:30, Liquid Television. I can't remember though if it was only one hour of B&B or if it was 2 hours anymore :(

I learned the locations of all the squeaks in the hallway floor to sneak all the way to the other end of the house to watch TV about 10 minutes after my parents went to bed. Our TV room was a bedroom located above the garage, so it had a door to close, and a bathroom conveniently right at the base of the stairs. The stairs and door gave me an advantage that I could hear someone coming, and hit return and up (Nickelodeon to FX), and claim that I was watching reruns of In Living Color. Another advantage I had was that my dad had the TV sound play through an 80's stereo rack and nice speakers which were powered by a single push button. Connect the big old olive green Koss studio headphones to the jack, and I could watch TV all night, nearly undetected. This essentially happened just about every night until I was 17 when the moratorium was lifted.

I kinda miss having that ritual, there was something magical about being sneaky and doing something forbidden that no one else knew about, all while late at night. These days I don't need to be sneaky, if I want to watch B&B I just pop in a DVD, no need to be quiet or have a contingency plan.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I removed this from my last post, but realize that it brings context:

I was not allowed to watch MTV at that time in my life. My parents specifically singled out Beavis and Butthead as being specifically egregious. In their attempt at teaching 13 year old me just how bad it was, they recorded an episode, watched it, and decided to go over exactly how bad everything was. The episode was Late Shift Closing Time, and they would pause it every time they did something bad (and fast forwarded through the video). Really the only thing I remember was when they threw food at the ceiling fan my dad paused it and said, "and now they just lost their JOBS!" This was probably about two weeks before Summer Vacation started, and within a couple weeks I started watching regularly.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder how much of the Blueshammer stereotype of white guys with frosted tips and flannel shirts doing the blues in the 90s is the one negative legacy of The Blues Brothers.

I was thinking that at work. Blues Brothers is a great movie, but its not really about the Blues, more Soul and R&B. And its legacy should be "gently caress Illinois nazis"

I remember being on vacation at Myrtle Beach and me and my sister watching Beavis and Butt-Head for the first time and my dad walking in and started watching us, and laughing at it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Looking at the makeup of the band itself, it was New York and LA jazz guys on horns with the Stax rhythm section; the lead guitarist, Matt Murphy, was the only guy in the group I think was a bona fide bluesman; played with Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters in the 50s and 60s and James Cotton's band in the 70s. He brings that Chicago sound. Very underrated player.

Looking at the guest stars, Hooker is the only classic bluesman they had Andrew he had the smallest role. Ray Charles, James Brown, Aretha Franklin are all great, but like you said they were R&B more than pure blues, and Cab Calloway went all the way back to leading swing orchestras in the 1930s.

The Commitments was the Blues Brothers for the 90s - much better than BB 2000 anyway! :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Iron Crowned posted:

I removed this from my last post, but realize that it brings context:

I was not allowed to watch MTV at that time in my life. My parents specifically singled out Beavis and Butthead as being specifically egregious. In their attempt at teaching 13 year old me just how bad it was, they recorded an episode, watched it, and decided to go over exactly how bad everything was. The episode was Late Shift Closing Time, and they would pause it every time they did something bad (and fast forwarded through the video). Really the only thing I remember was when they threw food at the ceiling fan my dad paused it and said, "and now they just lost their JOBS!" This was probably about two weeks before Summer Vacation started, and within a couple weeks I started watching regularly.

Very much the same. I had friends into B&B and Jackass and my parents would get on my case if they saw me watching either. My youngest sister is 4 years younger than me and they basically wouldn't let me watch things she couldn't, which sucked. I couldn't play Doom either (but I did at a friend's house anyways) but I could play Dark Forces so same thing :shrug:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I like the gold badges on cars with that also very 90's dark metallic green color. Toyota did it best.

Best example I can find at the moment...

Uh that’s emerald and my first car, a ‘94 Nissan Altima, would like to have a word with you. :goonsay:

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Phanatic posted:

Don't forget Landau Roofs, which also pretty much ended in the 90's. It seemed like every Buick, Oldsmobile, and Lincoln had one of these in the 90's.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

uli2000 posted:

Don't forget Landau Roofs, which also pretty much ended in the 90's. It seemed like every Buick, Oldsmobile, and Lincoln had one of these in the 90's.

And after a few months were almost all a nasty mildewy mess.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I just stumbled into this and I'm speechless https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBOiWj41DkI

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Zaphod42 posted:

Very much the same. I had friends into B&B and Jackass and my parents would get on my case if they saw me watching either. My youngest sister is 4 years younger than me and they basically wouldn't let me watch things she couldn't, which sucked. I couldn't play Doom either (but I did at a friend's house anyways) but I could play Dark Forces so same thing :shrug:

What’s up, fellow goon with strict parents? I wasn’t allowed to watch MTV at all. Or Simpsons. Or Married with Children. Or or or.

I was allowed to play Doom right up until - and I wish I were kidding - my mother watched it boot up one day and saw the term “init daemon.” Somehow, this convinced her that it wasn’t OK. Although, to be fair, I may have somehow obscured the actual content of the game up until that point.

Wolfenstein was fine. Doom, no. I think I eventually broke her on that one, but the TV poo poo stuck for good. I, too, mastered the art of the “last + channel up” combo, but never used that technique to watch MTV for some reason. I guess I was under the impression there was actually something horribly sinful about it.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
My parents had MTV, VH1 and Cartoon Network locked until I was 15 or 16. Our only console was an original NES that sometimes worked, until Nintendo 64s came out and we were graced with a Super Nintendo that had just dropped to $49.99.

No non-educational computer games, either.

I can't even think about how many hours I sank into this poo poo.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I had Encarta 94 and even though I haven't played it in at least 20 years, I still remember the phrases the characters would say in Mindmaze.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

burial posted:

What’s up, fellow goon with strict parents? I wasn’t allowed to watch MTV at all. Or Simpsons. Or Married with Children. Or or or.

My parents were perfectly fine with the Simpsons, they loved the Simpsons, but Married with Children was verboten.

When it came to Doom, I had a mac, so I cut my teeth on the superior FPS Marathon, and when Doom finally got ported, it was such a disappointment after all that hype.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I had Encarta 94 and even though I haven't played it in at least 20 years, I still remember the phrases the characters would say in Mindmaze.

I remember when we got the first external CD ROM, it came with Encarta 93, and, some other edutainment CD about scuba diving, it was mind blowing that you could watch videos about fish!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Iron Crowned posted:

. The episode was Late Shift Closing Time, and they would pause it every time they did something bad (and fast forwarded through the video). Really the only thing I remember was when they threw food at the ceiling fan my dad paused it and said, "and now they just lost their JOBS!"

Was that the one where they also threw a bunch of worms in to the deep fryer?

Also, if I recall correctly, one of the last lines: "Hey butthead, I know where theres a dead Raccoon".

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sex Hobbit posted:

No non-educational computer games, either.

I can't even think about how many hours I sank into this poo poo.

Yes! I loved playing that as a kid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've probably said so before, the cartoons I remember not being allowed to watch (I still watched them, of course) were The Simpsons, Johnny Bravo and, for some reason, The Powerpuff Girls.