Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Am I going to need a guide for routes/endings in Chaos; Child or is it mostly obvious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alipes
Sep 6, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Am I going to need a guide for routes/endings in Chaos; Child or is it mostly obvious?

A guide is a really good idea, especially because one ending is kind of impossible (unless they fixed it) due to an untranslated map of the city.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

In addition to what was said by Alipes above, you'll definitely want one if you're bothered about seeing all the endings and CGs - including the ones which aren't required for the main ending. They're mostly not too complicated to get, but there's a few bad endings that aren't necessarily obvious.

However, the first time you play through, the game guarantees you'll get a specific ending no matter what, so feel free to run through without a guide the first time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cool thanks, there was a big patch that said it fixed some untranslated stuff so maybe that map is okay now.

I wish all VNs had a VLR style flowchart so you could see what you had and hadn't done.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Cool thanks, there was a big patch that said it fixed some untranslated stuff so maybe that map is okay now.

I wish all VNs had a VLR style flowchart so you could see what you had and hadn't done.

I played with that patch installed - it fixed most untranslated stuff (I think some text in videos, and particularly animated text, like all the scrolling comments during the livestream at the start of the game, had initially been untranslated), but that map was still not in English in that particular scene for some reason.

I doubt it痴 been fixed since I played, so for that ending at least you値l definitely want a guide.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Sakurazuka posted:

Not all VNs have a perfect branching structure where every choice forks the plot with no recombining, complex combinations, or variations within scenes based on previous choices. All the things that allow VNs to be more complex than printed CYOA gamebooks mean that they're not always well suited for flowcharts.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

gegi posted:

Not all VNs have a perfect branching structure where every choice forks the plot with no recombining, complex combinations, or variations within scenes based on previous choices. All the things that allow VNs to be more complex than printed CYOA gamebooks mean that they're not always well suited for flowcharts.
That just means we have to develop more advanced flowchart technology.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Got five hours sleep before work today because poo poo got real in Chaos; Child last night.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

FractalSandwich posted:

That just means we have to develop more advanced flowchart technology.

I think you'll find my flowcharts are...complex.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Is this the choice of the flow;chart?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Takuru sure throws up a lot

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Takuru sure throws up a lot

Dunno who his VA was, but he was very good at making a variety of horrible noises whenever he got injured.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/1022645154237169664

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Atelier Elkrone: Dear for Otomate (PSP) did alright but I'd like a new game for the current gen. Also best avatar for best boy :3:

Inb4 we never hear about this again.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
My answer depends entirely on how gay it is.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Got through the slow part of Umineko during a few commutes and glad I did. Ep 2 just finished. Good thing I'm following the lp. The idea's, theories and extra info (Bernkastel info was good) is very nice.

Like everyone else I have ideas to what the hell is going on but I'm sure they're just as off the mark as most crackpot theories.

And last bu5 certainly not least there are a lot of avatars on the forums that now make sense to me and gave a good laugh. :)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FractalSandwich posted:

My answer depends entirely on how gay it is.

:same:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've been getting this constant feeling of deja vu playing Chaos; Child and I just realised it's incredibly similar to the plot of Tokyo Xanadu.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I just finished Umineko ch3. I have....thoughts. I'm not even sure how many thoughts I have! That was a lot to take in.

Some random unsorted ones that are popping into my head right now - I'll probably have a few more questions or thoughts after sleeping on it. Spoilers for Umineko ch3 below but as I read through more of this I'm not sure how much can really truly be spoiled, it's just insane. As always, sorry for the wall of black.

-Rokkenjima is probably not as "real" as people think, and the idea that the Endless Magic is "a power you can gain just by noticing" kind of seems to reinforce that? When Battler and Beato were killed, after Battler calls her the Golden Witch, the island seems to "reboot" around them and reconfigure into the Golden Land. Likewise, "witches" is a shorthand for something stranger, and I think that they might exist somehow - just not Beatrice, especially not how she presents herself. That much at least is clear.
-Holy crap I was not expecting that from Virgilia, what the hell. What a delightful long con this entire chapter has been. I was really stoked when Beato and Battler finally allied up at the end, DBZ style, mortal enemies into awkward almost-pals, but then WHOOPS there goes the rug.
-A lot like Hig ch3, this seems to toss a shitload of seemingly-relevant info at the reader only to pull back and ask "so, what now?". Like...okay, now we know that the Epitaph is solvable, but solving it also doesn't friggin' stop the murders (unless it would have if Eva had confessed right away, which....I'm not sure I buy). We saw a big flashy Yu-Gi-Oh battle between two ancient witches only to be told that it was completely ignorable, and to later learn that both participants were on the same side anyway. We know that 'magic' can 100% be explained away by logic....sorta? But what is the revival ritual?
-Even from before this chapter I kind of had the sneaking suspicion that Beatrice was somehow Eva, and when he was introduced I thought perhaps Ronove was Hideyoshi (#mustachebros) but that clearly went totally sideways.
-The bolded text is obviously important but I'm not sure how much it can be trusted, at all. The first time we see it (I think?) is in Ch 1 when the adults are all finally let loose to snipe at each other, with More than anything, they needed a lot of money, right now. But...that could be false, if one of them was secretly a culprit and trying to appear weak as a cover. But other important information seems to be conveyed in bold, like the fact that Genji and the other Eagle servants know that A very special guest is coming to the conference in Chapter 2, or A burned body can't be revived in Chapter 3 (possibly referring to Kinzo? But why?)
-Krauss survives way longer in this one than usual which is really weird because in Ch1 and 2 his death entry in the character database mentions something like "it all starts with this", like he was a priority target
-The last game seemed to imply 'furniture' wasn't human, like some kind of android or homunculus or christ I have no idea, but I am pretty sure EVA Beatrice said that only humans were involved in red.
-Lambadelta (........her? I mean....it is who I assumed she is, right? Gosh I need the rest of Higurashi) being behind it all and lending Beatrice her power was an....interesting twist
-When Ange shows up to save Battler she's already 16, probably closer to 18 since she uses her sprite from '98. That means that there's obviously time shenanigans in play. Did ??????? ch3 happen before the final scene of the 'actual' game? It really only makes sense that way....but then that kind of throws a wrench into the whole 'deny witches' thing when one tosses your half-sister back in time 12 years to bail your dumb rear end out.
-Kyrie and Rudolph brutally wrecking the stake nee-sans was awesome and I loved it. I don't even care that it never happened, angry ninja Kyrie and badass cowboy Rudolph had me really grinning.
-If magic isn't real, George leaving to go to the parlor is either because he's literally delusional or because he's up to something sinister. He must have snuck out through the window, so I'm guessing sinister.
-07151129 could easily be 11:29 on Battler's birthday, 7:15 on November 29, or a range of time from 7:15 to 11:29 - everyone mentions the dates but the time thing seems very possible as well. 7:15 was shortly after the First Twilight bodies were found, I think 11:29 was around when Rosa and Maria were killed....did George write that?
-EVA Beatrice is awful.
-Speaking of awful people, it was a nice touch that Rosa screeches "Uuu-uu" when she begs for mercy.

e: also was that chapter insanely long or did it just feel that way because so much happened? Is Chapter 4 longer still? Hig ch4 was nice and short and a fun jog before hitting the answer arcs....

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 28, 2018

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

food court bailiff posted:

I just finished Umineko ch3. I have....thoughts. I'm not even sure how many thoughts I have! That was a lot to take in.

i'm not gonna say anything but please keep posting your thoughts as you progress! seeing the evolution of newbies progressing through Umineko for the first time is the best part of being a witch. (ahaha.wav)

e: also was that chapter insanely long or did it just feel that way because so much happened? Is Chapter 4 longer still? Hig ch4 was nice and short and a fun jog before hitting the answer arcs....

It's been a while since i've read through chapter 3 so I can't comment on its relative length, but chapter 4 is... something. There's a lot of good in it, but it's got glaring pacing issues that are worse than anything else in the series, so. prepare for a lot of :words:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chapter 4 is a loving journey. Prepare yourself.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Umineko chapters basically only get longer, I think? Certainly I remember 4 being especially long. I switched to Japanese for the answer arcs, though, so it's hard to compare them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think 4's the longest but i'm not sure.

edit: Lengths of the episodes by the count of characters in the original japanese script (each individual kanji, kana, etc, which is considered the most objective way to determine length)

Episode 1: 332,462
Episode 2: 315,445
Episode 3: 353,292
Episode 4: 433,544
Episode 5: No data
Episode 6: 370,937
Episode 7: 334,272
Episode 8: 353,418

Not sure why my source doesn't have data on episode 5, but it's no longer than episode 6. For comparison's sake, Steins;Gate is around 800,000, Clannad 1,600,000. All of the parts of Umineko combined constitute the longest visual novel ever translated.

Going back to the point of this, Episode 4 is indeed the longest, and it's not a linear increase in length.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 28, 2018

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I知 in the beginning of episode 2 of Umineko and after the way episode one ramped up and ended this is going pretty slowly and I知 not super into what is going on at the moment.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Unrelated to anything, how am I supposed to pronounce the name of the character who shows up at the end of Ch3? Hard G or soft? "Angie", "ahn-gay", some combination of them?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's "G" like in ".GIF"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's a soft g. 'Enje'.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I知 in the beginning of episode 2 of Umineko and after the way episode one ramped up and ended this is going pretty slowly and I知 not super into what is going on at the moment.
FWIW while EP2 introduces several important elements it's probably my least favorite overall Umineko chapter in retrospect. The others just have so much more to say/do.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Started Little Busters.

I love friendship simulators.

Also just the first day had me laugh my rear end off many times.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I will say that episode 2 started with a very cute date.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Yea currently going through 3 myself. :stare:

These answer arcs better be good.

E: umineko. Some posts happened in the meantime and my app didn't refresh. :shobon:

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 28, 2018

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Nate RFB posted:

FWIW while EP2 introduces several important elements it's probably my least favorite overall Umineko chapter in retrospect. The others just have so much more to say/do.

I've not replayed 6 after discovering the Truth but I do know that at the time it came out and especially after Game 5 it wasn't what I was wanting or expecting at all. I remember being disappointed by a new Umineko release for the first time

The very end of 6 is insanely good, though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

voltcatfish posted:

I've not replayed 6 after discovering the Truth but I do know that at the time it came out and especially after Game 5 it wasn't what I was wanting or expecting at all. I remember being disappointed by a new Umineko release for the first time

The very end of 6 is insanely good, though.
EP6 is explicitly one I was thinking of that, at the time of release, had a lot of mixed reactions from folks I think thanks to following the extreme high from the end of EP5 and it being sort of questionable what it was actually getting at. It almost felt repetitive in a way. However it's an arc that I think aged very well when you look back and see the bigger picture. In a number of ways the actual "heart" of Chiru is to be found in EP6 and I think really helps inform the overall conclusion of the whole story (and IMO, people who seemed to be upset at the ending missed this).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ep2 is confusing and sometimes boring the first time around but I think it has a much more coherent metaphor running through it than future episodes which stands up well on rereading.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The one thing I'll say is to not bother trying to solve the epitaph, because it is basically impossible to solve unless you know Japanese.

Nate RFB posted:

EP6 is explicitly one I was thinking of that, at the time of release, had a lot of mixed reactions from folks I think thanks to following the extreme high from the end of EP5 and it being sort of questionable what it was actually getting at. It almost felt repetitive in a way. However it's an arc that I think aged very well when you look back and see the bigger picture. In a number of ways the actual "heart" of Chiru is to be found in EP6 and I think really helps inform the overall conclusion of the whole story (and IMO, people who seemed to be upset at the ending missed this).

I kind of felt the opposite. The stuff in episode 6 with (Umineko EP6 spoilers obviously) the two Beatos was a very awkward way to try and convey what was going on there, and "chick" Beato's behavior towards Battler was very weird and off-putting. There also isn't much else in it that is necessary towards understanding the greater "situation," other than trying to make the "shannon/kanon/beato all stem from a single person" thing even more obvious than it should have been prior to that episode (from what I understand, that part of episode 6 was largely in response to readers not being able to figure it out prior). It was still one of the more entertaining episodes to read, but in retrospect it leaves less of an impact than many of the others.

Overall I'd say that the most "meaningful" episodes are probably 2 and 7, followed by 4.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 28, 2018

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Ep2 is confusing and sometimes boring the first time around but I think it has a much more coherent metaphor running through it than future episodes which stands up well on rereading.

Yeah, during my current re-read, I've found Episode 2 to be much more fascinating than Ep 1. There's a lot to dissect there once you understand the truth behind everything.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 28, 2018

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ytlaya posted:

The one thing I'll say is to not bother trying to solve the epitaph, because it is basically impossible to solve unless you know Japanese.

I kind of felt the opposite. The stuff in episode 6 with (Umineko EP6 spoilers obviously) the two Beatos was a very awkward way to try and convey what was going on there, and "chick" Beato's behavior towards Battler was very weird and off-putting. There also isn't much else in it that is necessary towards understanding the greater "situation," other than trying to make the "shannon/kanon/beato all stem from a single person" thing even more obvious than it should have been prior to that episode (from what I understand, that part of episode 6 was largely in response to readers not being able to figure it out prior). It was still one of the more entertaining episodes to read, but in retrospect it leaves less of an impact than many of the others.

Overall I'd say that the most "meaningful" episodes are probably 2 and 7, followed by 4.

The reason I warmed up to EP6 more as time went on was to me, the overall message by the end of the story was that it was less about the actual details of "what happened" and rather "why it happened". It's a tired response but it's "without love it cannot be seen" taken to its most literal. EP6 is when I think the story wears the heart on its sleeve the most and thus having both the love duel between Shannon/Kanon and the Beato/Battler team up at the end are both the major climaxes of the elements that actually matter the most to the story.

At the time though, I like many others riding the high of EP5 wanted it to start diving right away the answers of the mystery (Battler literally ends EP5 with claiming that he "knew everything" after all). We would ultimately not get that mystery dress down until EP7, which owned in its own way of course, so not knowing it was coming at the time made EP6 really stick out like a sore thumb.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

IceBorg posted:

Started Little Busters.

I love friendship simulators.

Also just the first day had me laugh my rear end off many times.

Clannad's much the same for me. I'm loving it. I'm definitely grabbing Little Busters after I'm done.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Finished Umineko Ch3. I was skeptic as gently caress but at the final moment I still started thinking "well what do you know, maybe things are better" and then Beato proclaims that they're getting hungry and I was pretty like "oh gently caress". There was no reason to suspect that getting to the golden land didn't involve getting eaten alive, but I still began to lower my guard. Guess I'll find out if everything regarding Virgillia was bullshit.

Dunked status: on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

NRVNQSR posted:

Umineko chapters basically only get longer, I think? Certainly I remember 4 being especially long. I switched to Japanese for the answer arcs, though, so it's hard to compare them.

The When They Cry games are making me consider studying Japanese more seriously again, like gently caress if I'm waiting another year+ for both remaining Higurashi games when I can get them on my phone in Japanese with voice acting right now for five bucks each.

I'm nowhere near fluent enough to do more than stare at screens with a dictionary in hand right now but it's something I'm actually excited to try to read. Onikakushi is actually free in JP on iOS so I figured I might as well just go slow and check it out.