Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

if the market wasn't ruined with apple keeping peoples expectations low […] And the Pixel 2 currently represents near the top of the line, pure android and its still fairly slow for me. Slows to a crawl way too often.

yes low expectations like "no malware" and "will get security updates in six months" and "doesn't slow to a crawl for no reason"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
top of the line, pure anroid lol

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

*slaps the roof of a pure Android* this baby can fit dozens of ad supported apps and a full suite of ricer tweak tools. after it's all loaded up you can still almost use google maps!!

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yes low expectations like "no malware" and "will get security updates in six months" and "doesn't slow to a crawl for no reason"

“processors years ahead of anroid”

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

from context, i *think* he was referring specifically to battery life, but who the gently caress knows

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
guys, fire up the manufacturing line, an order came in. yeah, just the one. well, tell them to spin a board and write some drivers, we’ve got a customer waiting.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
what do you think that guy will do when he finds out manufacturers like dell have been killing off computer customizations for the past 20 years

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the 8.0 update has made the phone experience on my telephone noticeably worse :toot:

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

the 8.0 update has made the phone experience on my telephone noticeably worse :toot:

Of course it did. android phones are supposed to be disposable trash you replace every year.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Google has become somewhat erratic in updating its Android distributionnumbers after updating them monthly for years. They’ve skipped a number of months this year, including June, but are back for July with fresh percentages. That month off has meant big things for Android Oreo, which jumped up to 12.1% (up from 5.7%).

That was sarcasm, of course, because these numbers are actually pretty sad. Oreo has only hit 12.1% of the Android pie and it was released in August of last year. So after being available to Android phones for almost a year, we’re at about an eighth of the Android world running the most current stable version of Android. That’s not good.

In terms of other numbers, we’ve got Nougat down to 30.8%, Marshmallow down to 23.5%, Lollipop down to 20.4%, KitKat down to 9.1%, and Jelly Bean down to 3.6%.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Blue Train posted:

Google has become somewhat erratic in updating its Android distributionnumbers after updating them monthly for years. They’ve skipped a number of months this year, including June, but are back for July with fresh percentages. That month off has meant big things for Android Oreo, which jumped up to 12.1% (up from 5.7%).

That was sarcasm, of course, because these numbers are actually pretty sad. Oreo has only hit 12.1% of the Android pie and it was released in August of last year. So after being available to Android phones for almost a year, we’re at about an eighth of the Android world running the most current stable version of Android. That’s not good.

In terms of other numbers, we’ve got Nougat down to 30.8%, Marshmallow down to 23.5%, Lollipop down to 20.4%, KitKat down to 9.1%, and Jelly Bean down to 3.6%.

Lol 9% of anroids are using a five year old os. iOS 10 is running on 8% of iOS devices.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Blue Train posted:

In terms of other numbers, we’ve got Nougat (august 2016) down to 30.8%, Marshmallow (october 2015) down to 23.5%, Lollipop (october 2014) down to 20.4%, KitKat (october 2013) down to 9.1%, and Jelly Bean (july 2012) down to 3.6%.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
im sure that their new meta-hal in android pee is definitely going to fix all of those problems and everyone will be updating seamlessly

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The Management posted:

im sure that their new meta-hal in android pee is definitely going to fix all of those problems and everyone will be updating seamlessly

is this different than the "project treble" one that launched in 8.0?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Train posted:

I wonder what percent of them is just poo poo like an old fire stick or tablet for babby that will just stay on Kit Kat until the end of the universe

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it's only androids that connect to the play store, so for sure none are amazon devices

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

codo27 posted:

I know the rusty innards of phones are too precise and complex for this but how great would it be, okay I know there was that Robin or whatever its called and perhaps other modular phone projects, but if you could just go to a company's website and build your phone however you'd like it just like with a Dell computer. Okay, I want a decent SoC, biggest battery and best camera available and I'm not insane so 720p is fine for a screen the size of the palm of my hand if it means better battery life. Afaic (can I make that a new thing subbing I'm concerned for I know?) I think if the market wasn't ruined with apple keeping peoples expectations low and samsung using apple as their model, and them both making up such a stupid portion of the market, you could see some advancement and they might actually try to find a way to get 3 day+ battery. And the Pixel 2 currently represents near the top of the line, pure android and its still fairly slow for me. Slows to a crawl way too often. None of my PCs ever slow down for anything because I spend the money for a decent CPU, enough RAM and a SSD. But simple poo poo on android still isn't as snappy as I feel it should be. Some of these phones now cost as much or more than my Surface Pro 3 which is now 4 years old and the thing is still butter. But simple social media apps on $1000 phones cause stutters and freezes. Bullshit. End rant

weird how you can tell this guy never used an iPhone before

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

weird how you can tell this guy never used an iPhone before

its really a bit le sigh seeing people defend proprietization as a desirable thing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
please define proprietization in context

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lutha Mahtin posted:

its really a bit le sigh seeing people defend proprietization as a desirable thing
i don't know what this means but you can tell he's never used an iphone because they have the best mobile socs, decent cameras, good battery life, and don't slow down after six months

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

really is quite a thing seeing people in the pos of all places defending a device

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Management posted:

tbf it probably would except samsung has chosen not to use it

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I wonder what percent of them is just poo poo like an old fire stick or tablet for babby that will just stay on Kit Kat until the end of the universe

Lol my 4.2.2 Xperia L still lives and I'll only replace it when it actually dies.
I do know that if someone really wanted to target me for some reason the phone is piss easy to hijack remotely but whatevs.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Blue Train posted:

you don't even need to flash a rom, there are flashable gapps zips that you can download and it takes seconds to do. there is even an app to flash the files from within android so you wouldn't even need to do much work to automate it

a lot of chinese anroids lock all the google services out at the os level somehow. you probably do need a rom

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

TheCoach posted:

Lol my 4.2.2 Xperia L still lives and I'll only replace it when it actually dies.
I do know that if someone really wanted to target me for some reason the phone is piss easy to hijack remotely but whatevs.

by someone really wanting to target you are you referring to websites and apps and access points that check the version of every device they encounter against a list if known exploits and automatically compromise them?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

LastInLine posted:

lol

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

LastInLine posted:

don't worry, it'll only be another 5 years until google forces all devices to use it

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

anthonypants posted:

i don't know what this means but you can tell he's never used an iphone because they have the best mobile socs, decent cameras, good battery life, and don't slow down after six months

the iphone camera is just decent now?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bobby Digital posted:

the iphone camera is just decent now?

it’s the best phone camera

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The Management posted:

it’s the best phone camera
like i said, a decent camera

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the one in the se sure ain't

it's grainy as gently caress

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

best camera is the pixel 2 sorry ifailures

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/EricaFails/status/1021941605501231104

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

smart tvs are all poo poo

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

infernal machines posted:

the one in the se sure ain't

it's grainy as gently caress

it’s fine. zoom with your feet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao. i ain't even trying to use zoom on a loving cell phone camera

poo poo is just grainy as all heck though, even in full sun outdoors, it looks like i'm taking pictures with a loving webcam from the early 2000s

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

get a 220 dollar china phone

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

infernal machines posted:

lmao. i ain't even trying to use zoom on a loving cell phone camera

poo poo is just grainy as all heck though, even in full sun outdoors, it looks like i'm taking pictures with a loving webcam from the early 2000s
you don’t happen to have a layer of grime formed on the inside of your lens window do you. surely Apple fixed that from the 5s where crap can ingress from the mic hole

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

not that i can see, although there is some particulate in there, it's been like this since i got it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Blue Train posted:

get a 220 dollar china phone

nice dog hair