Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Hector Rondon has been really good this year in Houston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah, they really got lucky pulling him off the scrapheap considering how downhill he went over the past couple of years (doubly lucky since Giles basically did the same thing and is now back in the minors.) It's a shame, he really was solid before mid-2016 or so. :sigh:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Atomizer posted:

Yeah, they really got lucky pulling him off the scrapheap considering how downhill he went over the past couple of years (doubly lucky since Giles basically did the same thing and is now back in the minors.) It's a shame, he really was solid before mid-2016 or so. :sigh:

He wasn't that bad last year. A bit unlucky. Always had good stuff.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Niwrad posted:

Hector Rondon has been really good this year in Houston.

Maybe we can trade for this relief ace we need. Heh. I don't blame Hoyer for letting Rondon go. His numbers were getting progressively worse every season but it's just the luck of the draw with relievers like him.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Whatever Rondon did, it was all by getting rid of home runs.

2016 - 18.2% HR/FB
2017 - 19.6%
2018 - 3.8%

His BABIP is actually the highest it's ever been, and his LOB % is also as high as it's ever been for him. Could be he's just getting lucky and avoiding home runs, or he actually figured something out.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
The rumors are saying Bryant tore a rotator cuff. Ffs

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Rondon was throwing 99, but straight as an arrow. Hitters would take and time the first one then drill the second because they had no movement. I haven't been watching him in Houston but I'm assuming he changed something about his fastball or pitch mix or whatever. Good for him, and lucky for his team, because they both needed each other.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

He's throwing way more breaking stuff. His slider looks very crisp right now and is fooling hitters quite a bit. The fastball still looks fairly straight but as long as it looks like the slider out of the hand it really doesn't matter for a reliever.

Edit: He's also throwing what looks like a change (sinker? hard to tell, low 90's pitch) every once in a while that's getting some weak contact. Overall, fantastic signing! He's definitely got closer level stuff.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
THIS IS A SAFE SPACE SIR PLEASE LEAVE

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Atomizer posted:

Rondon was throwing 99, but straight as an arrow. Hitters would take and time the first one then drill the second because they had no movement. I haven't been watching him in Houston but I'm assuming he changed something about his fastball or pitch mix or whatever. Good for him, and lucky for his team, because they both needed each other.

He was throwing up in the zone too much but he was also really unlucky. 20% HR/FB rate was not going to stick.

It does seem like he is more locked in when he's closing. Like he was terrific before they got Chapman and then just couldn't figure it out in the earlier innings.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Goodpancakes posted:

Allow me to cubs post:

Cubs should be sellers, Kars for Kids, Village of New Lenox.

Ill take my answer off the air.

here's some news: i'm your boss now and i need you to implement these ComEd energy efficiency solutions

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The porcelain prince

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ron coomer here for funkaway

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

here's some news: i'm your boss now and i need you to implement these ComEd energy efficiency solutions

Okay but,

and hear me out for a second,

what if,

what if

there was only one store that sold apples?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Goodpancakes posted:

Allow me to cubs post:

Cubs should be sellers, Kars for Kids, Village of New Lenox.

Ill take my answer off the air.

I'd rather have Bedford Park.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Miz Kriss posted:

The rumors are saying Bryant tore a rotator cuff. Ffs

Would he be ready for Spring Training if it's true?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I haven't seen the rotator cuff stuff reported anywhere. It was just a guess by me.

Partial tear is like 3-4 months. But sometimes they can just rehab it by building up shoulder muscles. It really shouldn't be a big issue for next season.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah it depends on the tear. Minor tears can be managed with physical therapy without an surgery, major ones need surgery and then several months or physical therapy/rehab to strengthen the muscle. My dad had a pretty major tear a few years back and his shoulder was bothering him on and off for about ~6 months post surgery before it finally went away.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I am Ron Coomers unholy thirst for pillows

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

When I hit one over the fence at Wrigley Field I hit it over a Tru Link Fence...

I'm old, and still kinda want a Tissot Rock Watch.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I refuse to ever donate to Kars For Kids, entirely because of their advertising and intentional misspellings.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

AsInHowe posted:

I refuse to ever donate to Kars For Kids, entirely because of their advertising and intentional misspellings.

They also give money to reeducation camps

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I had no idea they were donating to reeducation camps. gently caress them. Kars for kids is such a loving cancer. They should face a criminal court for that jingle it's so irritating. It has taken something from me.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

From what I can tell, it's main goal is promoting Orthodox Judaism, although that is extremely hard to figure out. Any charity that spends that much money on advertising can not be any good at what they do.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Bryant's officially back on the DL, still "shoulder inflammation"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs supposed quest for a SP is going to be interesting since there's no way they can afford to part with Bote with Bryant's health in flux.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sydin posted:

Cubs supposed quest for a SP is going to be interesting since there's no way they can afford to part with Bote with Bryant's health in flux.

Wilson and uhhhh a sack of practice balls.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So is Cole Hamels bad now or what's the deal? Sounds like he's the main target.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

So is Cole Hamels bad now or what's the deal? Sounds like he's the main target.

Cross posting from N/V:

Sydin posted:

If it happened this is the rundown from what I understand:

1. Hamels' home/road splits are insane. Like, he's getting absolutely shelled in Arlington: 6.41 ERA home, 2.93 ERA away :eyepop:
2. The last time Hamels was good was the last time the Rangers were good, so you have to wonder if he's just a vet who's uninterested in giving his all to a garbage team
3. His velo is the same as always so it's not as if he's dealing with diminished stuff.

Obviously it's a gamble, but I'd take it. Worst case he's no better than Chatwood and the Cubs are out some minor prospects, best case he has a resurgence with a competing team and the Cubs have the option of picking up his 2019. Anything in between he's a better option than Chatwood for the season.

tl;dr Maybe maybe not. It sounds like the Cubs are targeting him because he wouldn't cost a lot in terms of prospect currency because the Rangers are just looking to salary dump him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
cross posting from GDT

https://i.imgur.com/mJaSCAx.mp4

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/thekapman/status/1022629043060002816

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

Cross posting from N/V:

tl;dr Maybe maybe not. It sounds like the Cubs are targeting him because he wouldn't cost a lot in terms of prospect currency because the Rangers are just looking to salary dump him.

I feel like it's a solid pickup out of all the names out there. There's no top of the rotation guys available and if it's a salary dump, the Cubs probably don't give up much. Plus the Cubs just need a guy who can give them some innings without walking everyone. Going from the Rangers defense to the Cubs should help him along with the change in park.

If they nab him and then grab another arm for the pen, I'd be happy.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Poque posted:

They also give money to reeducation camps

The third worst thing they do

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

cole seems kind of washed but he's more than welcome to throw as many no-hitters as he wants at wrigley

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

I haven't seen the rotator cuff stuff reported anywhere. It was just a guess by me.

Partial tear is like 3-4 months. But sometimes they can just rehab it by building up shoulder muscles. It really shouldn't be a big issue for next season.

The rotator cuff wouldn't be shocking. Bryant has had a massive hole in his swing for like two months and he's been swinging at garbage, probably because that's the only stuff he can try to take a whack at without feeling massive pain. Dude hasn't been able to hit anything low in ages, yet that's all he swings at.

Niwrad posted:

If they nab him and then grab another arm for the pen, I'd be happy.

Butler and Smyly should be activated soon.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Butler got the win today!

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Atomizer posted:

He is cheating the same way all other Astros pitchers are cheating.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Hako posted:

He is cheating the same way all other Astros pitchers are cheating.

Hmmm yes, high offspeed rotation definitely helps fastball velocity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Popete posted:

Hmmm yes, high offspeed rotation definitely helps fastball velocity.

I bet you deny climate change too

• Locked thread