Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

This villain is crossing over into the comical territory in how much disbelief I need to suspend to make what he's able to get away with seem remotely plausible even in a setting like this.

Azza Bamboo posted:

This would be good if there were an optional side quest to convince a construction worker to just drive their digger to the railroad and shift the boulder that way. Or if we could get back in touch with Julia and ask her to get rid of the rock her way.

Actually wanting to interact with Julia? Have you gone mad?

I mean sure, it'd in-theory save a lot of time and therefore subject us to less overall atrocity. But with this game's design philosophy, it'd probably actually end up taking just as much time anyway. Just with Julia involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

Oh god this parade of pointless chores is giving me flashbacks to Gold/Silver's impossible Sisyphean task of moving a Snorlax three feet to the left.

I never knew why you couldn't just chuck a ball at it and run by before it broke out.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Did these guys forget the definition of the word 'gym'? Because out of the... 5? we've seen so far, two were abandoned, hazardous industrial sites occupied only by a single homicidal poke-hobo in hiding. Who gave these guys badges to hand out? Did every trainer with dudes above level 45 have to go through Mr. Skeltal's Funhouse of Horrors?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

The better way to do that would be to have all the dude's Pokemon have nicknames of people from that one graveyard and then have Coreygar be the last out every time so that would be the moment it "clicks" if you've been paying attention. And cut literally everything else.

It's still a dumb concept but it would be a dumb concept done right, dammit.

This is my take on it. It's flawed in that it's way too explicit (replace the videos with abstract scenes of the deaths and make them have relevance to what you've seen so far, IE the train bombing etc.) but it's way more interesting than every other gym so far.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

"...Let not them suffer to the poison in vain."

Okay, so it even has stupid edgelord rhymes that are probably taken from a lovely death metal song, this really is the Pokemon fangame equivalent of FATAL.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
When Shade speaks, it's exclusively in rhyming couplets.

I know, I know, you're feeling this.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I was mentally adding "...so says Mr. Stewart." onto all of his lines :v:

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Eh, I can't help but like Shade. He's over the top, he seems to know what's going on and apparently wants it to be as complete and satisfying as possible (well, good luck there with this crew on the case), and (I know you appreciate this) doesn't go on long monologues.

I'm betting he was a ghost long before they built a pokemon league in Reborn.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

GeneX posted:

I was mentally adding "...so says Mr. Stewart." onto all of his lines :v:

Deadly Premonition was a good game.

This...isn't.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Oh god this parade of pointless chores is giving me flashbacks to Gold/Silver's impossible Sisyphean task of moving a Snorlax three feet to the left.
Also the Silph Scope quest in Fire Red/Leaf Green, where you can't just cheese it with a Pokedoll.

Even when Reborn starts to resemble the actual games it's always the worst, most un-fun parts of those games.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Come to think of it the official franchise itself already kinda had a horror-themed creepypasta-esque gym encounter when Ash fought Sabrina back in the anime. I remember that being pretty okay!

So it's not like it's a bad idea, but much like the rest of Reborn the execution just botches everything.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SirSystemError posted:

This villain is crossing over into the comical territory in how much disbelief I need to suspend to make what he's able to get away with seem remotely plausible even in a setting like this.

Actually wanting to interact with Julia? Have you gone mad?

I mean sure, it'd in-theory save a lot of time and therefore subject us to less overall atrocity. But with this game's design philosophy, it'd probably actually end up taking just as much time anyway. Just with Julia involved.

But she's a critical part of my Reborn ship

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser
Okay I take it back, the Doctor isn't the self-aware one loving with these teen scene kid RPers, it's Shade.
Yes, a dumb creepypasta style 4spoopy6me ghost Gym Leader who takes the souls of the dead to turn into pokemon seems like something edgy teenagers would do, but it's also put together in such a way that seems like lazy parody with the madlibs creepypasta story forming before my eyes while you tripped around the gym, with the phrase "and then the Garchomp slashed the boy and hyper realistic blood sprayed on the screen" coming to mind. It really does seem like something someone came up with for the RP and Amethyst just jammed it in the game word for word if you will. The lack of development of Shade as anything besides just a side quest or set dressing with no real explanation also makes me consider this.
Alternatively maybe I'm wrong and just have too much faith in humans and there's not anyone that's a reflection of a self-aware troll in this entire game that just slipped through the cracks, but I'm just really doubtful there's not a single person that was like "I know I'll go even further beyond on the edge for shits and giggles".

Also the update just had me thinking about this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq6Jj9s2bqM

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

EDIT: Video showing just how edgy Shade is removed due to worry about spoilers in comments.

The important part, pulled from the video, is that loving with the sprite's contrast settings gets you this:

EDIT 2: i'm dumb and didn't realize there was problems with hotlinking Discord attachments :saddowns: Here's an Imgur version.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 24, 2018

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

KataraniSword posted:

EDIT: Video showing just how edgy Shade is removed due to worry about spoilers in comments.

The important part, pulled from the video, is that loving with the sprite's contrast settings gets you this:

Way to hotlink discord attachments.

Luckily I gathered what you meant and used, uh... the bucket in mspaint.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's beautiful :allears:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
wow spooky

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

What's so spooky about :rolldice:? Clearly the spooky ghost is an avid D&D player and just tattooed his favorite part of playing it onto his chest.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The Bart, the

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Yeah a random-rear end Sword Dance Mimikyu, thats fair.

Also I hate whoever congratulated him/herself on thinking 'Garchomps are cool, but what if they could kill people? Thats what they'd do do in a SERIOUS game'

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

DeafNote posted:

Yeah a random-rear end Sword Dance Mimikyu, thats fair.

Also I hate whoever congratulated him/herself on thinking 'Garchomps are cool, but what if they could kill people? Thats what they'd do do in a SERIOUS game'

You hate a lot of people then considering in the special update for the game with the mugshots of real people in it they talk about it too.
Shark Dragon with scythe arms get all the fun edgy poo poo, why can't people just use Scyther? Geez.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

rannum posted:

Of the things I thought might be in the game, I can't say I ever expected an official gym showing murders/suicides lead by a creepypasta

Though I don't necessarily object to the idea of a spooooky gym lead by an actual ghost if they leaned into it. Like everything's eyerollingly "creepy" on purpose because he's putting on a show. Like Acerola's trial but with an actual ghost, I guess.
I choose to believe that Shade has had that Gengar for like, years, and he just put a "HI MY NAME IS: corey" sticker on it. Shade was relived it was so easy to figure out who the most recent person to die that Raven had known was.

.... :cawg:

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Trilby?

F14m3rz
Jul 23, 2018

I've obsessed over Pokemon Reborn so much, I have a color-coded 5,999-word document filled with quotes, pieces of lore, and my own findings of the game so far up to the end of E17.

Azza Bamboo posted:

You know... I've never shipped Julia and Florinia together myself, but in all honesty... it makes more sense than most of the other ships in this story.

KataraniSword posted:

... Huh. I did not know that was there. The weirdest thing I've found in one of the sprites is that one Pokemon's shiny back sprite had a white background instead of a transparent one... and one of a different Pokemon's shiny backsprite was just its regular backsprite reduced and increased again.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Pokemon Reborn: it hurts

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

F14m3rz posted:

The weirdest thing I've found in one of the sprites is that one Pokemon's shiny back sprite had a white background instead of a transparent one

Which one? I can probably jam one in-game.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

EponymousMrYar posted:

This is my take on it. It's flawed in that it's way too explicit (replace the videos with abstract scenes of the deaths and make them have relevance to what you've seen so far, IE the train bombing etc.) but it's way more interesting than every other gym so far.

Oh I never even thought of that. We've seen enough to pad out the team already haven't we? The name of someone on the train, the dead cop, one of the gravestones, Corey, and then just give the Mimikyu a random name that never comes up again to annoy people trying to find out who it is.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

EclecticTastes posted:

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Azza Bamboo posted:

That is certainly an image, though I'd like to think a Julia wedding would have a lot of explosions...

F14m3rz
Jul 23, 2018

I've obsessed over Pokemon Reborn so much, I have a color-coded 5,999-word document filled with quotes, pieces of lore, and my own findings of the game so far up to the end of E17.

Which one? I can probably jam one in-game.
I’m not sure if I should say; it would be a spoiler, I think. I addressed it on the site, so it should be solved by the time E18 rolls around, but it should still be around in E17.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

F14m3rz posted:

I’m not sure if I should say; it would be a spoiler, I think. I addressed it on the site, so it should be solved by the time E18 rolls around, but it should still be around in E17.

Look just name a fuckin pokemon and I'll check it out.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

God all the death sequences were funny in how hard they were trying but the one that got me the most is the decapitation one, the sprites REALLY aren't meant for death and it shows. The head tumbles off in the most comical manner and I had to take a deep breath because i was laughing too much.

Everything else about shade is icing on the cake. Fuckin lol at hiding a giant DIE in mr creepy ghostman.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

SirSystemError posted:

That is certainly an image, though I'd like to think a Julia wedding would have a lot of explosions...

Just don't be the one to catch the bouquet.

F14m3rz
Jul 23, 2018

Look just name a fuckin pokemon and I'll check it out.
All right. It’s Shiny Type:Null’s back sprite.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
God, I think that might unironically have been the best gym so far; you could actually turn the bullshit terrain effect back on the gym leader to make it significantly easier, the gym leader didn't spend 50 million years talking about themselves and why they're hosed up as a person, and his gym has something *actually good* as a wild random encounter within it that you can catch and use with no sidequests or stupid errands in your way

Pokemon Reborn: where the literal creepypasta gym with a slenderman ripoff ghost for the gym leader is an unironic high point

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

EclecticTastes posted:

Pokemon Reborn: it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

EclecticTastes posted:

Pokemon Reborn: it hurts SO BAD

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

EclecticTastes posted:

Nice.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Still makes me laugh that Yahtzee made 1213 and Trilby in a point and click adventure engine because it was easier than learning a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's kind of funny they try to use Mimikyu as a spoopy ghost when the entire fandom thinks it's loving adorable