Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Why would you ever get anything besides a tuna mayo onigiri? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Kombu onigiri best onigiri

I have to admit that I was an adult before I learned the pickles were cucumbers. I never ate them, in my defense

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Okaka onigiri are umami bombs. I need to learn if/how I can make my own with standard katsuobushi.

Also good are TKG onigiri with the aforementioned goopy egg yolk all up in there. Hooooooly poo poo.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

GrandpaPants posted:

Umeboshi is gross, yellow pickled daikon is god tier pickle though.

I bought some pickled daikon once and I was so disappointed to find out they were sweet :negative:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

TotalLossBrain posted:

I just did a batch of pickled mushrooms and pickled rhubarb.

Shelves are stacked with jars of (homegrown) pickled asparagus, beets, cucumbers.

What kind of mushroom, enoki? Because a pickled portabella sounds like a nightmare.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

What kind of mushroom, enoki? Because a pickled portabella sounds like a nightmare.

Just your standard portabella. However, my wife informs me that I am a dumbass and the mushrooms were marinated and then canned in an oil/vinegar/water solution. So not pickled. They are great.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

TotalLossBrain posted:

Just your standard portabella. However, my wife informs me that I am a dumbass and the mushrooms were marinated and then canned in an oil/vinegar/water solution. So not pickled. They are great.

so uh. you gonna share some of that recipe action because the idea of that sounds good af

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Marinated and pickled are real different, yeah. Most mushrooms don't respond well to pickling, with some exceptions (enoki, wood ear, maitake, etc)

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I'm so glad I'm not the only goon that'll just eat an umeboshi. Never tried pickled daikon, or even seen it.

E: what's it taste like?

DicktheCat has a new favorite as of 04:12 on Jul 25, 2018

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

sneakyfrog posted:

so uh. you gonna share some of that recipe action because the idea of that sounds good af

Basically this:

https://www.healthycanning.com/marinated-mushrooms/

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

So if I leave a cucumber sitting around until it gets soft, it will actually taste good?
Why should it? Cantaloupe doesn't.

This might sound weird but I don't recall a time I actually ate a pickle. I know what they taste like because the pickles I take off of burgers leave a foul residue, but I never actually ate one. Something about the smell and the flavor disgusts me.
Is it the dill? I hate dill, but sweet spiced gherkins are great.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Tiggum posted:

sweet spiced gherkins are great.

I make em at home with Trinidad scorpions. Great on hot days.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Scarodactyl posted:

Pickled nopales with fajitas are the best thing.

Also, a bit late, but

:yeshaha:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

Is it the dill? I hate dill, but sweet spiced gherkins are great.

I don't know what it is exactly. I like vinegar, but pickles have an "off" vinegar flavor that I don't know how to describe better.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I spotted this at a bar last night:

Is this like the pineapple pizza of liquors?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

I don't know what it is exactly. I like vinegar, but pickles have an "off" vinegar flavor that I don't know how to describe better.

You're Australian, right? Actual dill pickles are really hard to get hold of in NZ and I expect the same is true for Oz, but if you like either McD's or Burger King one of the core flavours in their basic burgers is classic Kosher dill pickles. Because the bread's so drat sweet they need that brutal vinegar/garlic hit to make it qualify as a savoury foodstuff.

The brand you're probably looking for is Vlasic. And the difference between Kosher dills and, like, sweet and sour sandwich pickles or whatever, is beyond night and day.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Somfin posted:

You're Australian, right? Actual dill pickles are really hard to get hold of in NZ and I expect the same is true for Oz, but if you like either McD's or Burger King one of the core flavours in their basic burgers is classic Kosher dill pickles. Because the bread's so drat sweet they need that brutal vinegar/garlic hit to make it qualify as a savoury foodstuff.

The brand you're probably looking for is Vlasic. And the difference between Kosher dills and, like, sweet and sour sandwich pickles or whatever, is beyond night and day.

I am very upset about the fact that you're possibly confusing me with Tiggum. I'm in germany.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

DicktheCat posted:

I'm so glad I'm not the only goon that'll just eat an umeboshi. Never tried pickled daikon, or even seen it.

E: what's it taste like?

Umeboshi is my absolute favorite Japanese anything.

Pickled daikon...if you eat Japanese or Korean food often, you've likely encountered in in some form. It's usually dyed yellow and called either takuan or danmuji. I also put it in every kind of kimchi. Daikon works well for a quick pickle, so you could probably whip some up easily.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I pickle garlic cloves and, in the occasional fell mood, will sit and eat like twenty in a row as though they were popcorn.

In conclusion, my butthole is a land of contrasts

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

I am very upset about the fact that you're possibly confusing me with Tiggum. I'm in germany.

If you don't like your native pickles, which are excellent to us pickle-lovers, you won't like other pickles.

Now I am going to have to go to the overpriced gourmet shop and buy German pickles. I like the mustard seed ones the most.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
even in the us pickles are incredibly regional. hot take: vlasic and mt olive both make trash tier kosher dills I cant attest to sweet pickles as those aren't my style but those two are just way too salty

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bike tory posted:

I spotted this at a bar last night:

Is this like the pineapple pizza of liquors?

Finally found something I won't drink.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I'll drink to that. Ranch up brotendo.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Look I just keep a jar of these in my fridge at all times and idgaf.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I'll just leave this here..

(source)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
would. and im very sad your link didn't include the contents

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bees on Wheat posted:

(source)

herring and akvavit are an absolute would.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Data Graham posted:

:emptyquote:

Bees on Wheat posted:

(source)

Until Pham Nuwen identified that as akvavit I was wondering why you were drinking colloidal silver with your pickled herring.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

KataraniSword posted:

Until Pham Nuwen identified that as akvavit I was wondering why you were drinking colloidal silver with your pickled herring.

Looks like potted Mynocks to me.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

KataraniSword posted:

:emptyquote:

poo poo, when I first saw it I thought there was another chunk of herring in the glass..

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm in Japan right now and have a late corn dog entry.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Wow, gently caress you, Japan.

BUY ONE YOU DUMMY

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Jesus christ what a terrible combination

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Grand Fromage posted:

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

My half awake brain thought that was a jar of pickled birch logs for a solid minute.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Data Graham posted:

Dill? lol

Get the sour pickles you dolt.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

sneakyfrog posted:

would. and im very sad your link didn't include the contents

In a way, it did.

(Source: I'm part Swedish)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
fair enough friendly appliance direct person

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MariusLecter posted:

Dill? lol

Get the sour pickles you dolt.

Yeah, eat things you don't like as much, moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Grand Fromage posted:

A level of cultural mockery 73 years in the making.