Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Started a new game because I didn't want to deal with whatever bugginess comes with loading an old save and I really like the new resource system, though I agree that they should add some automation. Was worried about performance on my i5/GTX960 but it seems to run better than Atlas Rises. My second planet is super pretty and I found cute bats:

https://twitter.com/jaytholen/status/1022019992932499457

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I put a locked crate in my base but it doesn’t do anything. How do I use it? I can’t see an inventory screen and there’s no interact button for it.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Played a few hours yesterday, first time in about 2 years. Didn't mind starting hellplanet too much, at least it teaches you how to survive and don't forget where survival stuff is in the inventory. Kinda sucks that I forgot to take my refinery when I departed. Not sure why all the fuss about clouds. IMO they, and the sky in general looked pretty garbage. Same with space - its a blurry mess. Land environment however is pretty gorgeous on ultra.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sedisp posted:

The extra step of having to craft fuel pales in comparison to how much more efficient the crafted item is than plutonium.

The blue rocks are about as common as plutonium was.

But it's not? :confused: One launch fuel canister fills half the launch thruster tank, and is good for 2 launches. So, 100% full is 4 launches, like it's always been.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jul 25, 2018

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I feel like next is 1 step forward and 5-6 steps backwards.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Okay, built a base and got a bunch of quests and eventually had to warp to a system over to hire a science officer guy and that started the free freighter thing. So it's like I started over but not really.

Are storage units seriously only 5 slots? Does that get upgraded eventually? I completely skipped the base stuff when that update initially hit.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
Update has been fun so far. Lots they can add still but they finally have a strong foundation to build on. The game needs some combat tweaks, more varied NPC interaction, generally more things to do alongside base building and resource collection and some sort of antagonist. I'd love it if npcs dropped on to planets in their ships and needed to be fought off. Some simple base defence mechanisms would do this game wonders if done right.

It would also be the perfect switch game but alas.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i just built a blueprint analyzer how far am i from my dumb free space bus

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Nice upgrades I build in my exosuit are getting deleted for no reason whenever I restart the game.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

cheesetriangles posted:

I feel like next is 1 step forward and 5-6 steps backwards.

Can you elaborate on this for people who haven't owned the game since launch?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Played for about 3 hours so far

The procgen is so much better it's a joke. You get huge mountains, deep and massive caves.

The draw distance is also incredible now. You still get some pop in but it feels like traditional pop in where it's the real fine details you lose, like grass decals, not the terrain and planets look almost the same from space as they do close up.

Multiplayer is fun as hell and hopefully they slowly expand the amount of players in a single game because seeing someone else actually zoom past is crazy immersive.

The bad parts...it's the same game under the hood. If you are looking for an actual game and not a cool experience you ain't gonna like it probs

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
On the plus side my theory about it being the same loop is mostly correct.

Except the loop is grindier with prettier things to look at.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Drone posted:

Can you elaborate on this for people who haven't owned the game since launch?

Some things are better but its still way to grindy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah plants can be pretty big on PS4 now

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i followed a distress beacon and found a crashed ship there, which just let me take it for free.

the catch is that every system in it was broken, and the slots are mostly full of broken poo poo that needs a ton of resources just to free up that slot again.

im camped out at a space station trying to trick suckers into trading their nice ships for my hosed up hauler.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I haven't tried yet, but the tracking beacon used to be able to find crashed ships as an option. Does it not any more?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

But it's not? :confused: One launch fuel canister fills half the launch thruster tank, and is good for 2 launches. So, 100% full is 4 launches, like it's always been.

Yes... and it takes less blue rocks than it did plutonium.

Its 50 H2 for 100% launch fuel versus 200 plutonium.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 25, 2018

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Bases have the same broken quest triggers that have existed for as long as bases have. It keeps telling me to read my base computer archives and when I get to my base it tells me it's in another system. It thinks my freighter is my base. You know the freighter you can't build a base computer on.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i just built a blueprint analyzer how far am i from my dumb free space bus
I am also wondering this. I got to nada and polo after starting a new character and the only main quest is "wait 2 hours for polo" which is like... wat. They're really pressing hard for players to just chill and relax if they're gonna force this kinda cooldown poo poo on main mission progress.

cheesetriangles posted:

Bases have the same broken quest triggers that have existed for as long as bases have. It keeps telling me to read my base computer archives and when I get to my base it tells me it's in another system. It thinks my freighter is my base. You know the freighter you can't build a base computer on.
You have a freighter but just started a base quest? FYI: Old saves are broken as hell with this new update.

If you have an old save with lotsa stuff but don't want to lose it all when you make a new save... you can just GIVE poo poo to friends on your old save (just buy really expensive stuff somewhere) and take them back on your new save. It's super duper easy. Use that money to buy a better ship, a better gun, and then jump around rando lobbies online to get the backpack upgrade in their system's trade station. Each one guarantees 1 space slot for what seems to be super cheap in this update. The price only goes up 10k units each.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jul 25, 2018

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

This is a fresh save not an old save.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

cheesetriangles posted:

This is a fresh save not an old save.
Then you can tell us at what point the game gives you your mainline mission freighter :P

precision posted:

Oh wow, you really do get your freighter early. All I had to do was warp into a system where one was under attack and defend it, the guys attacking were wimps, and now I have a freighter at 6 hours in :stare:
poo poo, nevermind. Wow. I need to warp around a bit more!

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Apparently GOG copies of NMS aren't getting next until later in the year.

Sean to GOG players: get hosed.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

cheesetriangles posted:

False, I am on GOG and I have next

it also has multiplayer since I was given an option to base share and enter is a chat box

Whoever you are getting your information from you should probably stop trusting that :smug:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Okay nevermind.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

lol the game has eaten my save, great. it still show my save in the menu, but every time i load it it just starts a new game.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

GOG has NEXT but isn't getting the proper in person multiplayer until later in the year.

I had it on GOG too and even the previous patch with the orb stand-in multiplayer was Steam only, not GOG. Possibly the base sharing still works, I never came across one to test it back then.

Also a bunch of fixes went up in the steam and GOG experimental build a bit earlier. Seems like a few fixes for crashes and people upgrading older saves.

patch notes posted:

Issues fixed on Experimental:

Fixed a crash in creature routines

Fixed a crash when multiple players put ammunition into a refiner

Fix for occasional crash when receiving mission rewards

Fix for crash when adjusting anisotropic filtering settings in the graphics options menu

Fix for potential crash in geometry streaming

Improvements to texture caching for AMD GPUs

Fixed an issue where some players still had physical nanites in their inventory that could not be spent at vendors

Granted players nanites when they dismantle their Obsolete Technology - spend nanites on new upgrades in Space Stations

Added a tutorial mission to guide players through the restoration of their old base

Fixed an issue where players were unable to build Frigate Terminals in Creative Mode

Fixed an issue where S-Class ships changed appearance

Fixed an issue where players were unable to build the Base Cache on their freighter to retrieve compensation for the loss of their freighter base

Toast King fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jul 25, 2018

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

Would sean murray be the one that decides that or something?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Wait they got rid of building on freighters?

I really liked having a mobile base.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Wait they got rid of building on freighters?

I really liked having a mobile base.

No?

At least I don't think so. I think thats for players who had freighters pre patch.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I already have a really poor opinion of the star system I started in :v:

Initial planet was a fiery hell world where I died initially trying to find sodium, but it luckily spawned me close to my corpse after.
Base building tutorial planet was nice until my computer was like "Incoming Super Heated Rain Storm"

This star is getting a bad Yelp review when I get back on tonight.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dootman posted:

Launching from a station or any other landing platform doesn't cost anything.

By the way have they made it any easier to select and land at landing platforms yet? (assuming no)

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I just found some seeds under the ground near a ruin worth 9 million units :o

I first had to dig up 3 keys, which open a 'large artifact' that held the seeds.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

CrashCat posted:

By the way have they made it any easier to select and land at landing platforms yet? (assuming no)

You fly towards it and when it turns green, you know you’re landing on the pad.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

John F Bennett posted:

I first had to dig up 3 keys, which open a 'large artifact' that held the seeds.

I found some of these keys but where was the large artifact? Do you have to look around in scan view until you see the one nav point?

I made ~4 mil off digging up crates in two crashed freighters :staredog:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The keys + the large artifact were all very close to each other. Spread about evenly around the ruin.

That's right, you look around in scan view and they pop up, just like resources do.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

John F Bennett posted:

To be fair about all this, the last couple of spaceships I checked out in station docking bays were like 9 million units after trade-in.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
You can’t dig with grenades anymore right

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Looks like I need to do some spelunkin once I get through the tutorial to get the freighter

Calaveron posted:

You can’t dig with grenades anymore right

No idea but the terrain manipulator is great for tunneling and digging.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
The terrain manipulator is poo poo for spelunking because half the time it despawns the item you've tagged to find, even if you're careful to avoid it by a huge margin.

Anyways, four hours in, I'm giving up till next update as Next feels like a massive step backwards in terms of fun.

The changes to the terrain gen are super cool and the clouds look nice (sort of, sometimes) but that's it for positives for me.

The new features like ancient relics, buried resources and treasure, archaeology etc are just new icons to hunt in your visor, but like everything in NMS, they're loving *everywhere*, so by your second planet it's just another item on the grind list. No searching, no discovery, no rarity, no novelty.

The grind is also massively expanded to include all sorts of awful busy-work (looking at you, portable refinery), pointless inventory juggling and steps between raw resources and what you actually want to build.

Add tons of bugs and loads of other 'gently caress you' decisions too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Has anyone tried multiplayer yet? Let's say I create a game and have some buddies jump in and we start building a base. Then the next day my buddy has some time and wants to jump and continue the shared game, can he can jump in without me and work on our game? Or do I have to host the game for him to build on our world?