Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Im so glad that durkons plot wasnt another version of gently caress you bad dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Nice title change, mod. Clearly, someone handsome and intelligent thought of that new title.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Im so glad that durkons plot wasnt another version of gently caress you bad dad

Durkon has the most positive relationship with his father, and his father is dead.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Tenebrais posted:

Durkon has the most positive relationship with his father, and his father is dead.
Well his father doesn't haunt him, so that's also a plus.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Hey now, V's character arc has nothing to do with her father. For all we know, he could be a kind, loving father who gave V lots of ice cream and pony rides.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Hey now, V's character arc has nothing to do with her father. For all we know, he could be a kind, loving father who gave V lots of ice cream and pony rides.

V is the lovely parent in this case

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Calaveron posted:

V is the lovely parent in this case

V's gender finally confirmed?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's funny the comic has been going so long that mystery "guess which gender V is" is kind of dated. And on rereading you would just consider V genderless or gender fluid.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

It's funny the comic has been going so long that mystery "guess which gender V is" is kind of dated. And on rereading you would just consider V genderless or gender fluid.
Yeah, whether it was initially just meant as a joke or not, between V's complete non-reaction to Roy wearing the belt and the elven words being [parent] and [other parent], it really lends credence to the idea that elves just don't really consider gender or chromosomes to be a thing that matters.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
The what gender is V jokes are a bit of an oddity in that they're afaik the only time ( or at least the only obvious time) Rich has not only made changes to a major character because of the forum, but kept coming back to nod at it again and again. Early Rich was probably much less weary and disgusted with his fans.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

V's mystery gender being a gag is clearly a product of this comic starting over a decade ago.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

A decade and a half now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I want to make a grognardy rules as written joke but I never bothered to read past the headlines.

Something about transgender/gender fluid is now in the rules for 5th edition? Not sure why you would need those to be officially in the rules but grogs gonna grog.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Len posted:

I want to make a grognardy rules as written joke but I never bothered to read past the headlines.

Something about transgender/gender fluid is now in the rules for 5th edition? Not sure why you would need those to be officially in the rules but grogs gonna grog.

For determining height/weight randomly maybe? I could see a rule saying "If your character is not male or female use either table" or something

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

One of the newer 5E books, Mordekainen's Tome of Foes, has a subsection for Drow and Drow culture. The genderfluid bits are about how some drow are able to swap physical sexes at will, and are persecuted by the matriarchal drow society for upsetting norms.

I kinda get what they were going for, and they tried but boy did they miss the mark.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Malpais Legate posted:

One of the newer 5E books, Mordekainen's Tome of Foes, has a subsection for Drow and Drow culture. The genderfluid bits are about how some drow are able to swap physical sexes at will, and are persecuted by the matriarchal drow society for upsetting norms.

I kinda get what they were going for, and they tried but boy did they miss the mark.

I mean...aren't there already spells, curses, and potions of gender swap in the game already?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Johnny Aztec posted:

I mean...aren't there already spells, curses, and potions of gender swap in the game already?

Those seem mis-named now though. Gender swap ought to change your gender identity, instead most of those effects leave your gender identity the same but change your external sex characteristics.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Belt of Expert Sex Change

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I remember any dinosaurs in this comic.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SlothfulCobra posted:

I remember any dinosaurs in this comic.

Guessing you mean "don't remember"?
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0922.html

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

v's familiar: also a dinosaur

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
When does Durkula say "tha", seems like maybe it was a typo that got corrected.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

While rereading the last few months of comics I was reminded that Belkar has Bloodfeast on-hand

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Eox posted:

While rereading the last few months of comics I was reminded that Belkar has Bloodfeast on-hand

Yeah, but even if he can break the Baleful Polymorph, they're in a cave. A big-rear end t-rex-lookin guy is of limited use.

Also, I wonder what happens to the things in a Bag of Holding if they get whacked with a Dispel Magic? Items only stop functioning for a couple of rounds.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just the extradimensional portal the bag has to the holding dimension is affected.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Another dumb prediction: Mr. Scruffy (possibly accidentally) activates Belkar's Protection From Evil clasp, and Belkar uses the surprise factor to stake one of the vamps. Granted, that would require an hour or more to pass and for Belkar to have taken a pretty precise amount of nonlethal damage from Roy.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

When does Durkula say "tha", seems like maybe it was a typo that got corrected.

Second panel, 'raise five total strangers from tha dead.'

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Thanks! That's really cool and easy to miss!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
"Like I'd tell ye when ye were actin' up as a lad: I brought ye inta this world, an' I can take ye back out, too."

... so what's the over/under on Mama Thundershield being the one to actually destroy the parasite that's piloting her son's corpse?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Turns out all dwarven parents have a kill switch for their children. It's a cultural thing.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

W.T. Fits posted:

"Like I'd tell ye when ye were actin' up as a lad: I brought ye inta this world, an' I can take ye back out, too."

... so what's the over/under on Mama Thundershield being the one to actually destroy the parasite that's piloting her son's corpse?

I think it's possible. My bet is on Durkon's mother being on the council of elders, and them having incapacitated/murdered the Exarch that the vamps sent to work on the council.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Durkon's mom is badass.

I put "I never let go" up there with "One saving throw at a time" at the top of most badass one-liners in the strip.

I want a scene where O-Chul and Sigdri sit around swapping war stories. Bonus points if Greyview is there, nodding for treats.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
We’ve also seen all of Durkon’s extended family fulfill their dreams, outside of Kendro, who wanted to die a heroic death and go to Valhalla. I could see him showing up to save the day yet, or Durkula might refuse to believe Durkon was giving him a moral lesson and become paranoid that he’s got a scheme involving Kendro and/or Sigdi and gently caress up the plan on his own somehow.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Len posted:

There aren't any particular mechanics for it, there's just a couple paragraphs about it when coming up with your character's personality and backstory and everything. I'm not a fan of 5e, but it was a nice gesture.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Another dumb prediction: Mr. Scruffy (possibly accidentally) activates Belkar's Protection From Evil clasp, and Belkar uses the surprise factor to stake one of the vamps. Granted, that would require an hour or more to pass and for Belkar to have taken a pretty precise amount of nonlethal damage from Roy.

Non-lethal damage knocks you out when the total damage taken exceeds your current hit point total. Activating the clasp would have to somehow increase Belkar's HP for him to wake up.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Who What Now posted:

Non-lethal damage knocks you out when the total damage taken exceeds your current hit point total. Activating the clasp would have to somehow increase Belkar's HP for him to wake up.

Yeah -- or he heals his one hit point at the end of an hour, and he miraculously took exactly as much nonlethal damage as he had remaining hit points.

Alternatively, Nokrud could order Hilgya to heal Belkar, unknowing that the clasp had been activated in the interim.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah -- or he heals his one hit point at the end of an hour, and he miraculously took exactly as much nonlethal damage as he had remaining hit points.

Alternatively, Nokrud could order Hilgya to heal Belkar, unknowing that the clasp had been activated in the interim.

Doesn't the clasp hurt him, though?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

AnoHito posted:

Doesn't the clasp hurt him, though?

Pain has in game effect (unless it's magic pain then it does)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

There aren't any particular mechanics for it, there's just a couple paragraphs about it when coming up with your character's personality and backstory and everything. I'm not a fan of 5e, but it was a nice gesture.

Apparently this is leagues ahead of whoever bunch of jackoff chuds got the IP for that Vampire setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

And then he takes his damage from his clasp and falls back unconscious.