Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Y'all know how this is gonna end, right?

It's going to go all the way up to Macron, and then they'll say "but the President is not legally responsible for anything he does"

"Si le president le faisse, c'est legal."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

More like "c’est peut-être illégal, mais comme c’est le président, on ne peut rien faire"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

More like "c’est peut-être illégal, mais comme c’est le président, on ne peut rien faire"

Oh, you know Americans, we don't have the patience for multiple dependent clauses.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Si le president le faisse, c'est legal."
*fait

I don't think Macron is into wickerworks.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cat Mattress posted:

*fait

I don't think Macron is into wickerworks.

I was trying for the subjunctive. I really need to go back to practicing my paltry French. :smith:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I was trying for the subjunctive. I really need to go back to practicing my paltry French. :smith:

That would be "fasse" but using the subjunctive in that sentence wouldn't be correct anyway. Generally, use of the subjunctive requires a "que" somewhere. ("Qu'il le fasse, il en aura le droit" ("be it he does it, he will be allowed") for example, compare with conditional "Il le ferait, il en aurait le droit" ("were he to do it, he would be allowed") or indicative "S'il le fait, il en a le droit" ("if he does it, he's allowed").

I think. IANALT (I am not a language teacher).

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cat Mattress posted:

That would be "fasse" but using the subjunctive in that sentence wouldn't be correct anyway. Generally, use of the subjunctive requires a "que" somewhere. ("Qu'il le fasse, il en aura le droit" ("be it he does it, he will be allowed") for example, compare with conditional "Il le ferait, il en aurait le droit" ("were he to do it, he would be allowed") or indicative "S'il le fait, il en a le droit" ("if he does it, he's allowed").

That makes sense.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Cat Mattress posted:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That makes sense.

I am a language teacher and, while French is my 2nd language, that's a solid explanation. The subjunctive, which barely exists in English and drives second-language learners mad, requires among other possibilities an expression of will. Hypothetical expressions using si do not fall into this category. Why they often require very specific pairings of tenses in the dependant and independent clause, they don't use the subjunctive. If I say Que le président soit couvert d'arraignées, I need to use the subjunctive soit because I'm expressing a desire. The phrase is essentiall Je veux que le président soit couvert... but the first two words, an expression of will, are implied. For another example, Vive la France!

Italian is even worse as the subjunctive is even more common and the imperfect and past-perfect subjunctive are regularly used. I know that romance language speakers in this thread will find it humorous, I cannot overemphasise how difficult the subjunctive is for Anglophones.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The subjunctive imperfect is just the greatest thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnl_MiX7nmY

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Pratique : le seul responsable est irresponsable pénalement.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

I know that romance language speakers in this thread will find it humorous, I cannot overemphasise how difficult the subjunctive is for Anglophones.

I grew up bilingual, speaking English and Spanish (born to Colombian parents in the States) and so when I moved to France I decided to use my Spanish to learn the French. My accent is pretty blatantly Spanish instead of English, which baffles people to no end when I'm tell them I'm from the US, but it was specifically because the Romance languages share so many features among them, that I was able to quickly learn French since things like the subjunctive and imperfect actually made sense to me, being a Spanish-speaker of sorts.

Had I used English, I'm certain I would've had a tougher time, though my accent and origins would make more sense to others.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
One thing that's kind of interesting about that story is that I grew up speaking English and French (born to a French mother in Anglo Canada), and when I started speaking Spanish in high school, it turned out I speak it with a very strong French accent instead of an English one.

But yeah coming from a French background I coasted through Spanish in high school, doing both grades 9 and 10 in grade 9 and graduating a year early.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I came at French fluent in English and Hebrew. Modern Hebrew doesn't have subjunctive, or indeed, any mood other than indicative and imperative. Its nouns are all gendered, though, and in a way that is mostly independent of how it is in French, so that's not very helpful! :v:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I grew up bilingual, speaking English and Spanish (born to Colombian parents in the States) and so when I moved to France I decided to use my Spanish to learn the French. My accent is pretty blatantly Spanish instead of English, which baffles people to no end when I'm tell them I'm from the US, but it was specifically because the Romance languages share so many features among them, that I was able to quickly learn French since things like the subjunctive and imperfect actually made sense to me, being a Spanish-speaker of sorts.

Had I used English, I'm certain I would've had a tougher time, though my accent and origins would make more sense to others.

I've had many Spanish and Portuguese-speaking students in my time, and while they will often comment on already understanding things like the subjunctive, having two separate "to know" verbs and the fact that everything is masculine or feminine; I've also had the occasional comment about how handy it is that French only has one verb "to be" as Spanish, Italian and Portuguese have two. The one thing that drives them absolutely loopy, though, is French phonetics. I've spent a lot of time studying theory and working on materials for this, because French is kind of in a world of its own phonetically. Mind you, English speakers have just as much of a problem; French is just "unique" that way.

HookShot posted:

One thing that's kind of interesting about that story is that I grew up speaking English and French (born to a French mother in Anglo Canada), and when I started speaking Spanish in high school, it turned out I speak it with a very strong French accent instead of an English one.

But yeah coming from a French background I coasted through Spanish in high school, doing both grades 9 and 10 in grade 9 and graduating a year early.

When I started learning Italian as a third language my professor, who was from Rome, said in class that I spoke it with a German accent. I replied that it was actually French and felt very self-conscious. People have commented that I have a thick British accent when speaking English, because I grew up in England, but in French I still have a modest Canadian accent. That's because I was born and spent my very earliest years in Montréal and, as required by law, I went to school in French until we went to the UK. Some people really don't understand that accents and dialects are a result of habituation and not genetics or parentage.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I came at French fluent in English and Hebrew. Modern Hebrew doesn't have subjunctive, or indeed, any mood other than indicative and imperative. Its nouns are all gendered, though, and in a way that is mostly independent of how it is in French, so that's not very helpful! :v:

I rather envy you. I'm Jewish and, apart from learning to sight-read for my bar mitzvah, I speak no Hebrew apart from a few common phrases.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

JustJeff88 posted:

I rather envy you. I'm Jewish and, apart from learning to sight-read for my bar mitzvah, I speak no Hebrew apart from a few common phrases.

I mean, it's kind of niche. :shrug:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Condiv posted:

i just looked it up cause i hadn't heard of it till now, and I saw this article about it: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/7/19/17590302/trevor-noah-france-french-ambassador-araud-world-cup

this article seems to masturbate a lot about the american subcultures retaining their identity, and shits on the idea of everyone who has french citizenship just being "french", but the idea of non-assimilation tolerance in america is just bs. only minorities hyphenate in the US. white people don't. If your parents are french and white and you are born in america, you're just an american, not a "french-american".Likewise, if your parents were black and french, and you were born in america, you're "african-american", not "french-american". moreover, if you're not black or white, then you can expect to hear "where are you from?" on a constant basis in america, even if you have a very typical accent for the area. and if you say "america", then the question will always come up "where are your parents from?"

Both Noah and French Ambassador Guy are misinterpreting laicite though, aren't they? It's not so much about an individual's identity in the postmodern sense but about political association/civil society organization distinct from the state. There's no problem with individuals adhering to Islam or Catholicism as a religion/self-identifying as Muslim or Catholic or Black, there's a problem with Muslims or Catholics operating as a unified political bloc. Right?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Y'all know how this is gonna end, right?

It's going to go all the way up to Macron, and then they'll say "but the President is not legally responsible for anything he does"

Nailed it.

quote:

Cette crise politique est la plus grave depuis son élection en mai 2017 pour Emmanuel Macron, qui avait promis pendant sa campagne une «République exemplaire», mais ne s’est pas encore exprimé publiquement sur cette affaire bien que, selon un sondage mardi, 75% des Français souhaitent qu’il sorte de son mutisme sur l’affaire Benalla.

«La République exemplaire n’empêche pas les erreurs. S’ils cherchent un responsable, le seul responsable, c’est moi et moi seul. C’est moi qui ai fait confiance à Alexandre Benalla. C’est moi qui ai confirmé la sanction», a déclaré mardi le chef de l’Etat devant des élus et plusieurs membres du gouvernement réunis à Paris, hors la présence de la presse, selon un enregistrement de ses propos que l’AFP s’est procuré.

«Ça n’est pas la République des fusibles, la République de la haine. On ne peut pas être chef par beau temps et se soustraire lorsque le temps est difficile. S’ils veulent un responsable, il est devant vous. Qu’ils viennent le chercher. Je réponds au peuple français... Personne dans mon cabinet n’a jamais été soustrait aux lois de la République. Jamais.», a assuré M. Macron, qui s’est exprimé pendant «une bonne demi-heure» devant «beaucoup» de monde, selon un élu.

"Come and get me, I loving dare you" - Emmanuel Macron, 24 juillet 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kassad posted:

Nailed it.

"Chat-bite" - Chirac, commenting on any scandal.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/samarkandya/status/1022116802938241024?s=19

:nsa:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

"On vous jure, on l'a VRAIMENT suspendu 15 jours et le prefet de la republique, il a cafouillé durant son interview, on vous mentirez jamais." signé Le Fantome de solferino l'élysée.

Aussi dans la serie TRUMP OR MACRON, devinez qui a dit:
“We have a press that is no longer pursuing the truth,” XXX said. “What I see is media power that wants to become judicial power.”

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Toplowtech posted:

"On vous jure, on l'a VRAIMENT suspendu 15 jours et le prefet de la republique, il a cafouillé durant son interview, on vous mentirez jamais." signé Le Fantome de solferino l'élysée.

“We have a press that is no longer pursuing the truth,” XXX said. “What I see is media power that wants to become judicial power.”

too loving easy. trump can't even pronounce judicial

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Kassad posted:

Nailed it.

T’inquiète, paupiette, on va venir te chercher.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Toplowtech posted:

The American president would have expressed that idea with something like "fake news media want to be judges, sad".

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

T’inquiète, paupiette, on va venir te chercher.

Ceci m'a donné la chair de poule.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/franceinfo/status/1022233781908983808?s=19

"People have lost their mind"

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Lol

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. IT'S FOOTAGE OF MAY DAY PROTESTS ON THE PLACE DE LA CONTRESCARPE AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ALEXANDRE BENALLA. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME INSOUMIS BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXYS MOST DANGEROUS PROTEST. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

(from Benalla's interview in today's Le Monde)

ElNarez fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 26, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kassad posted:

"People have lost their mind"
Imagine discovering France at 39.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ElNarez posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. IT'S FOOTAGE OF MAY DAY PROTESTS ON THE PLACE DE LA CONTRESCARPE AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ALEXANDRE BENALLA. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME INSOUMIS BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXYS MOST DANGEROUS PROTEST. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

https://twitter.com/sophare/status/1022405700587282432

(from Benalla's interview in today's Le Monde)

Tweet's been deleted. That's the sucky thing with embedding tweets.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

Tweet's been deleted. That's the sucky thing with embedding tweets.
Well in his interview Benalla contradict Collomb, Castaner, Delpuech and Gibelin. So it could be any tweet really.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
put in the new picture, and, also, yeah, that whole interview is nuts

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/LePoint/status/1022861717636874240?s=19

Lmao is this guy for real

Edit: Wait, the motherfucker was on the TF1 evening news? What the gently caress is this poo poo

Kassad fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 27, 2018

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What a mess

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/le_Parisien/status/1022857758318780416?s=19

La startup nation vient d'inventer l'uniforme.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

mdr

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Enjoy the last day of July, France. I bet you believed that the Benalla affair was behind you. :laugh:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Jupiter just banned smartphones in schools :confuoot:

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Toplowtech posted:

Enjoy the last day of July, France. I bet you believed that the Benalla affair was behind you. :laugh:

Ha! The media has mostly dropped it, I assume that Macron and friends noticed in the wake of Trump that fatigue sets in earlier and earlier and all they had to do was draw out the process.

Personally I blame the Front Populaire. They’re to blame if we no longer have revolutions in July.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Catching the breeze before the hell temperature comes back at the end of the week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

suck my woke dick posted:

Jupiter just banned smartphones in schools :confuoot:

I get the motivation but they're useful tools if used responsibly so ultimately it's a setback for school. As an English teacher, having a world of words and sources at your fingertips banned is especially unhelpful. Il faut que la France se modernise un peu quand même.