Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I can't imagine what 4 hours of Beat Saber a day is doing to your joints. If I play Soundboxing for more than 4-5 hours in a *week* my elbows start to give me trouble.

GutBomb posted:

Is there more to do than just swinging light sabers at boxes flying towards me? Sure there’s lots of content but it’s just different songs, right? To me it seems like a less complex guitar hero.

I can't speak for BS so much as Soundboxing is my rhythm game of choice, but I feel like the same answer could serve for either. Sure, in terms of complexity it's not the same as guitar hero as you've only got 2 notes versus 5 or whatever. But that relative simplicity is more than made up for by the fact that you're not just pressing buttons on a controller, you're actually moving around, dancing up and down, getting your whole body into it. Plus the fact that beats can exist *anywhere* in space rather than in 5 preset positions adds to the complexity and the speed at which you need to process info.

Just watch this beatmap being played and tell me that you think it's significantly less complex than Guitar Hero. I would disagree. https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/54aad214-3b95-11e8-bd75-0a580a200409

(edit maybe a cherry pick as that's by far my highest bpm song at like 330 or something crazy like that, but its just to illustrate, these things can get fancy)

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

It’s my workout. It’s also what people wanna see me play right now. Win win.

Where do you stream? Twitch? What's your twitch stream?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Nullsmack posted:

Windows 8.1

:prepop:

Don't want to shame someone's personal computing choices but there's no reason not to upgrade to win10

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Doesn't WMR require 10?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

To: gaben@valvesoftware.com
Subj: release the SteamVR windowsME drivers you cowards!!!

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Shine posted:

Doesn't WMR require 10?

Yes, as far as I know, it's an absolute hard requirement. In fact, it requires a pretty recent version of Win 10 as well. I actually had some big issues getting it working because I had turned on defer updates and it wouldn't upgrade until I turned off defer upgrades.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

:prepop:

Don't want to shame someone's personal computing choices but there's no reason not to upgrade to win10

I highly suggest running this (and rerunning after every major patch) to make Win 10 much more pleasant.

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Along with class shell in Aero mode http://www.classicshell.net/ you get an experience that's just an upgraded Win 7. You can completely ignore the Win 8/10 stuff.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Stick100 posted:

Ebolaivorys twitch is http://twitch.tv/QTpop
Check him out sometime, he’s pretty great. Have him play some Britney Spears

Also, Beat Saber is extremely good and fun. I’ve got 130-140 hours into it and I feel like I’ve just gotten out of the “getting started” phase. I can only get about 3 hours in at the end of a day every other day, but I play Darth Maul style which is significantly more physically intensive but imo soooooo much more fun actually having something to hold and use like you would vs a controller.

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 25, 2018

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
eh, I shied away from it for a while from all of the tracking stuff that was supposed to be in it. Apparently the free upgrade period is over now but I can probably get a copy from my university.
There are drivers for the Vive/Rift headsets that work on older Windows though, right?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nullsmack posted:

eh, I shied away from it for a while from all of the tracking stuff that was supposed to be in it. Apparently the free upgrade period is over now but I can probably get a copy from my university.
There are drivers for the Vive/Rift headsets that work on older Windows though, right?

The free upgrade period is officially over, but unofficially if you have a 7/8/8.1 license key it still works just fine and activates properly.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rage-saq posted:

Ebolaivorys twitch is http://twitch.tv/QTpop
Check him out sometime, he’s pretty great. Have him play some Britney Spears

Also, Beat Saber is extremely good and fun. I’ve got 130-140 hours into it and I feel like I’ve just gotten out of the “getting started” phase.

Thanks and agree. I’m finding that every day I still magically get better and that one song seems easier every day. Also Britney is fantastic you bish!!! <3

The Walrus posted:

I can't imagine what 4 hours of Beat Saber a day is doing to your joints. If I play Soundboxing for more than 4-5 hours in a *week* my elbows start to give me trouble.

I can't speak for BS so much as Soundboxing is my rhythm game of choice, but I feel like the same answer could serve for either. Sure, in terms of complexity it's not the same as guitar hero as you've only got 2 notes versus 5 or whatever. But that relative simplicity is more than made up for by the fact that you're not just pressing buttons on a controller, you're actually moving around, dancing up and down, getting your whole body into it. Plus the fact that beats can exist *anywhere* in space rather than in 5 preset positions adds to the complexity and the speed at which you need to process info.

Just watch this beatmap being played and tell me that you think it's significantly less complex than Guitar Hero. I would disagree. https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/54aad214-3b95-11e8-bd75-0a580a200409

(edit maybe a cherry pick as that's by far my highest bpm song at like 330 or something crazy like that, but its just to illustrate, these things can get fancy)

Soundboxing started building my stamina. Boxvr pumped it up. Beat saber made it epic. Longest session at the moment is 7 hours 40 min I think. It’s great times.

Stick100 posted:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Who sees you? Do you stream it?

Twitch, saq linked it already. M-F schedule at the moment.

FormatAmerica posted:

Cool do you use any weighted stuff when you do it? Wrist straps, ankles, vest?

For beat saber no. There’s way to many wild motions for weights for me. When I was doing boxvr yeah I did 1.5 lbs weights. But weights + beat saber would mean I would end up with jacked joints super quickly.

I also dance around like a total fool so there’s that.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EbolaIvory posted:

Soundboxing started building my stamina. Boxvr pumped it up. Beat saber made it epic. Longest session at the moment is 7 hours 40 min I think. It’s great times.

if you're looking for endurance, one thing SB has over Beat Saber these days is that people have started making long, endurance/workout tracks. I made this one with a mind towards lots of leg work over the course of a full half hour. I can't even imagine how annoying it would be to make a half hour beatmap in Beat Saber.

https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/b0db44ab-7a57-11e8-8c04-0a580a200115

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I personally think beat saber is about a thousand times more engaging, refined, and fun than Soundboxing but just my two cents.

I cannot imagine going back to Sound boxing now that I've played BeatSaber.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Walrus posted:

if you're looking for endurance, one thing SB has over Beat Saber these days is that people have started making long, endurance/workout tracks. I made this one with a mind towards lots of leg work over the course of a full half hour. I can't even imagine how annoying it would be to make a half hour beatmap in Beat Saber.

[/

[quote="The Walrus" post="486454601"]

Shockingly people have been making some attempts at workout maps. Nothing huge but there’s a few squat challenge maps and what not. Mostly things you put on no fail and just try your hardest.

BoxVR really has a lock on workouts though. At least for focused workouts

Knifegrab posted:

I personally think beat saber is about a thousand times more engaging, refined, and fun than Soundboxing but just my two cents.

I cannot imagine going back to Sound boxing now that I've played BeatSaber.

I tried. It’s toooo slow.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Yeah I thought Sound Boxing was neat when I first started playing it, but Beat Saber destroys it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have tried beat saber. Still don’t get why it’s cool but whatever it’s cool that you like it.

But hold up... people watch other people play beat saber? Why?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Someone in the deals thread dug up a gem. 2560x1440 Monoculus Rift + $50 Steam card for $99.96

https://www.walmart.com/co/VR-Tek-Windows-VR-Glasses-and-Steam-Gift-Card-Bundle-20-Off-With-Steam-Gift-Card/400539135

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Have you heard about a website called Twitch? People watch other people play boring games for hours.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

GutBomb posted:

I have tried beat saber. Still don’t get why it’s cool but whatever it’s cool that you like it.

It's a rhythm game, people like rhythm games. It also has light sabers, and people like light sabers. I was into them more when I was younger (some DDR, Ouendan, guitar hero), but I get bored of them quick now. I thought it was fun for a few hours.

Why do people like watching people do anything? They like watching people good at something do that thing, they like the game and want to hang out with people who also like it, their cat walked on the keyboard and they randomly ended up on the site. Who knows?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Wait people watch other people play soccer?! Wtf

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

GutBomb posted:

I didn’t get it either. But then I started doing it, and watching fellow friends do it and something about it is mesmerizing. It also helps when who you’re watching isn’t boring standing there like a robot.

It’s a lot of fun. For everyone. Plus I run requests after hour 2 most nights. Or we play bad map bingo. Just depends on the night. There’s a lot of interacting with chat so that helps keep it entertaining.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Knifegrab posted:

Wait people watch other people play soccer?! Wtf

And baseball.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Nullsmack posted:

FYI Oculus announced they are no longer going to support anything going forward except Windows 10.

"That’s why, as of today, we’re updating our minimum and recommended spec OS to Windows 10 to power the full Rift experience. Windows 7 and 8.1 users are still supported for the Rift features they know and love today, but they may not be able to use many new and upcoming features and apps. We encourage everyone who isn’t already running Windows 10 to upgrade now to avoid missing out on what’s next."

https://www.oculus.com/blog/updating-rifts-minimum-and-recommended-spec-os-to-windows-10/

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Someone in the deals thread dug up a gem. 2560x1440 Monoculus Rift + $50 Steam card for $99.96

https://www.walmart.com/co/VR-Tek-Windows-VR-Glasses-and-Steam-Gift-Card-Bundle-20-Off-With-Steam-Gift-Card/400539135

Wow effective price for 2560x1440 3Dof Rift of $50? That's a crazy good deal and I'd jump on it if I didn't already have 7 VR headsets.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Monoculus Rift, not Oculus Rift :), but still a really good deal

e: i missed that you said 3dof

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I just bought one of these headsets because I have bad impulse control. How does this compare to a Gear VR and Samsung Note setup? I have one of those currently but it's not all that great to use because it can overheat within 20-30 minutes and you're limited to what is available on the Oculus store and the quality is all over the place. Also the phone I have doesn't have any way of adding extra storage space on it so it's always a logistic nightmare to make room for something new to try out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It will play any vr game (oculus games can play thru revive). I have played for hours on end with no problems.

It does no processing onboard, like the Vive and Rift it’s only job is to display the image your computer sends it and to feed your computer positional data.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Jolo posted:

I just bought one of these headsets because I have bad impulse control. How does this compare to a Gear VR and Samsung Note setup? I have one of those currently but it's not all that great to use because it can overheat within 20-30 minutes and you're limited to what is available on the Oculus store and the quality is all over the place. Also the phone I have doesn't have any way of adding extra storage space on it so it's always a logistic nightmare to make room for something new to try out.

It will be a similar experience to your GearVR, in that only rotation is tracked, no positional movement. So, you can turn your neck, but not move your body basically. Also a lack of motion controllers limits you to stuff that can be played with a gamepad (or wheel, or joystick), but thankfully theres a lot of fun driving, flying, spaceship games out there. In addition theres some good non cockpit games you would be able to play, Chronos, Edge of Nowhere, Star Trek Bridge Crew (which just had its big TNG update), Witchblood, and others.

Oh, and this will be coming at the end of the month, playable with a gamepad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sanPP6-pnY

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Good deal. I bought the 2560 for the $70 last night, ah well. Will report back on Friday on how it works with my rig. Mostly got it for racing games so I don't have to move my monitor to my cockpit. I also have a buttkicker so this should be a pretty awesome setup!

Resident Evil should work with this right?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buttkicker in VR is even better than in real life, can confirm

Resident evil lists on steam as supporting controllers, so you're good

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Harminoff posted:

Resident Evil should work with this right?

They never released VR for RE7 on PC. Everyone expected it at one year but didn't happen and no news, so most gave up hope on ever seeing RE7 VR on PC. Sorry.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Stick100 posted:

They never released VR for RE7 on PC. Everyone expected it at one year but didn't happen and no news, so most gave up hope on ever seeing RE7 VR on PC. Sorry.

Oh, for real? drat.

Well I guess it wont work on the Monoculus because it doesnt exist

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

As consolation, Alien Isolation has a decent VR mod that fills a similar survival horror niche: https://github.com/Nibre/MotherVR/releases

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Monoculus Rift, not Oculus Rift :), but still a really good deal

e: i missed that you said 3dof

Monoculus Rift arrived; can confirm there's a vr-shaped goggle device, not a bag of sand inside.

I'm honestly a little surprised at the quality of the controller, it's no Xbox One controller, but it's better quality than you'd expect with a free pack in thing, even has usb rechargeable battery (lol @ 2007-era mini usb connector, though)

New laptop arrives tonight, eager to test this out with a laptop thermally-throttled 1050ti :vrfrog: :barf:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Stick100 posted:

Yeah you could maybe run Virtual Desktop / Bigscreen to at least play it with the VR display, but Crapcom gave us the hard dicking on PC VR. They even announced it in some marketing material but I guess someone must have misread a contract and accidentally given Sony a lifetime VR exclusive instead of One Year, that's the only explanation.

If you want a VR zombie fix, Contagion is in early access; it had a rocky start at launch but the developer has been busting his rear end updating it nearly every day, and people seem to appreciate it: https://store.steampowered.com/app/676840/Contagion_VR_Outbreak/

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah you could maybe run Virtual Desktop / Bigscreen to at least play it with the VR display

When I googled to confirm that there was no RE7VR PC I found tons of posts talking about Xorpex, so I guess that's maybe an option.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah you could maybe run Virtual Desktop / Bigscreen to at least play it with the VR display, but Crapcom gave us the hard dicking on PC VR. They even announced it in some marketing material but I guess someone must have misread a contract and accidentally given Sony a lifetime VR exclusive instead of One Year, that's the only explanation.

Or more likely they looked at their stats for how many people were playing it in VR on PS4 and decided that it wasn't worth the cost to patch in PC VR support.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SwissCM posted:

As consolation, Alien Isolation has a decent VR mod that fills a similar survival horror niche: https://github.com/Nibre/MotherVR/releases

:staredog: I never knew this was a thing and now I want it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHjHyOqaBf8

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Has anyone gotten the 1440x1400 one? 50 bucks is within gently caress-it range for me to try VR but I'm wondering if it's worth it to spend the extra 30 bucks. Are the adjustable lenses important for VR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Fallout 4 VR is $29 and Skyrim is $34 or something on GMG with the Extra18 code. Skyrim works pretty dang well and Fallout was finally low enough for me to take the plunge on it.