Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

The big problem I had with the Edin is that compared to the Fiji it accelerates really slowly. Which can be a big problem given how often you need to be ready to run at a moments notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Blinks77 posted:

The big problem I had with the Edin is that compared to the Fiji it accelerates really slowly. Which can be a big problem given how often you need to be ready to run at a moments notice.

I dunno my big problem comes down to me being dumb as opposed to anything the ship does. For every "oh it doesn't slow down/speed up fast enough, people are better at blind firing, etc" I just say to myself "geez you idiot, look back at the situation, you should have read the situation sooner/you should have angled in smoke/you should have planned ahead better". That's really what seems to be the most limiting factor.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Fiji is a stupidly good tier 7 though

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again
with the mino, you transcend giving a poo poo.

You play it like a dd. the rudder shift means you can angle extremely quickly and just torp the poo poo out of people dumb enough to get within 12km of you. You blast dd's with your fast arming ap and then you time your run back to safety between their salvos.

I've had the best games and the most fun when i literally did the dumbest poo poo. with the mino, since you have so many tools available to you, you can get away with it.

ed: spelling

Loky11 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 25, 2018

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

toadee posted:

I dunno my big problem comes down to me being dumb as opposed to anything the ship does. For every "oh it doesn't slow down/speed up fast enough, people are better at blind firing, etc" I just say to myself "geez you idiot, look back at the situation, you should have read the situation sooner/you should have angled in smoke/you should have planned ahead better". That's really what seems to be the most limiting factor.

Yeah. There's almost no situation in the minotaur where you couldn't have done something else, and been successful instead of being Super Dead. The same can't really be said for many other ships.

The weakest point of the minotaur (imo) is it's inability to fight alone. It wants to be part of a group, both for spotting and for giving other ships something to shoot at other than your smoke. It falters a lot, for instance, when trying to hold a flank against a push while outnumbered. But, if it has a bit of company, it can hold on to a point or an objective forever.

In games with a low number of DDs, it effectively becomes a super DD with a citadel, owing to speed, acceleration, hilarious torps, smoke, and lowest concealment of all cruisers.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
That acceleration is no joke, I've missed lots of devstrikes on the Minotaur and Neptune because they wasd'd.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Yeah, it can go from 0 to 3/4ths almost as fast as a DD can

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

DonkeyHotay posted:

Nice try but tier 8 matches don’t exist

Nah, there are plenty of T8 matches... you'll just never see them when you yourself are playing one. Anyone extensively trying to play a T6 will tell you that.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Lord Koth posted:

Nah, there are plenty of T8 matches... you'll just never see them when you yourself are playing one. Anyone extensively trying to play a T6 will tell you that.

It's true, I get more tier 8 matches in my New Orleans than I do in my Cleveland.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

The amount of contradictory info online is insane but does a full secondary Tirp need IFHE?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

DonkeyHotay posted:

The amount of contradictory info online is insane but does a full secondary Tirp need IFHE?

Not to me. The german secondaries get IFHE built in, so they pen 25+ mm. The value is marginal compared to things lile BFT or to Manual secondaries and makes it more of a niche build.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Blindeye posted:

Not to me. The german secondaries get IFHE built in, so they pen 25+ mm. The value is marginal compared to things lile BFT or to Manual secondaries and makes it more of a niche build.

First, so far as I understand it the 105mm German secondaries do NOT get 1/4 HE pen, so you're actually just penning 17.5mm of armor, not 25, and IFHE gets you up to 22.75mm. So it's fairly relevant due to it moving you to be able to damage T8+ destroyers overall and T8+ battleship superstructure.

Second... anything that's penning 25mm of armor base gets boosted to over 32mm of pen with IFHE, which is a VERY significant number that you really want to reach if you can.

So yes, regardless of what value it uses, you probably want IFHE if you really want to go whole hog secondary build.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Lord Koth posted:

First, so far as I understand it the 105mm German secondaries do NOT get 1/4 HE pen, so you're actually just penning 17.5mm of armor, not 25, and IFHE gets you up to 22.75mm. So it's fairly relevant due to it moving you to be able to damage T8+ destroyers overall and T8+ battleship superstructure.

Second... anything that's penning 25mm of armor base gets boosted to over 32mm of pen with IFHE, which is a VERY significant number that you really want to reach if you can.

So yes, regardless of what value it uses, you probably want IFHE if you really want to go whole hog secondary build.

Edit: apparently, the 105s are 1/6, thr 128s are 1/4.

The question is if you want more hits or more pens on fewer hits or the range boost AFT gets you (that helps AA as well)

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

DonkeyHotay posted:

Personally I run FP instead of IFHE on a secondary build for the German BBs. Yeah, I lose some potential secondary damage, but it's easier to stay alive longer so it comes out in the wash.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Thundercakes posted:

Personally I run FP instead of IFHE on a secondary build for the German BBs. Yeah, I lose some potential secondary damage, but it's easier to stay alive longer so it comes out in the wash.

Buy a Massachusetts.

Fixed this for you.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Firestarting question, can you start fires on an HE non-pen (shatter?)

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

Fixed this for you.

Agreed if you're choosing between the two. I hated the FDG with a burning passion, but I used the same build for the Tirpitz, Bis, FDG and GK and like the hybrid build. Mass really benefits from that faster repair reload so you can do fine without running FP, and the guns are superior, Tirpitz only really has the yolo ability on it. I used to wonder what would happen if they un-nerfed the secondaries on American battleships, and then I got the Mass and realized what a nightmare a Montana would be.

e:

DonkeyHotay posted:

Yeah you can

Thundercakes fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 25, 2018

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

also how in loving poo poo do you kill a khabarovsk that isn't a complete loving mongoloid jesus christ

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

DonkeyHotay posted:

also how in loving poo poo do you kill a khabarovsk that isn't a complete loving mongoloid jesus christ

You disengage and focus on everyone else. If they are aggroing everyone, they're winning.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Blindeye posted:

You disengage and focus on everyone else. If they are aggroing everyone, they're winning.

oh just ignore them is loving nonsense. i put out the first two fires one started on my republique in addition to the raw he damage which just meant the next three burned me to death.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

DonkeyHotay posted:

oh just ignore them is loving nonsense. i put out the first two fires one started on my republique in addition to the raw he damage which just meant the next three burned me to death.

You use battleship AP and boost away. Your team ultimately has to help you.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

DonkeyHotay posted:

You break out the Moskva and laugh as you murder him with your railguns.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

DonkeyHotay posted:

You probably shouldn't have put out those two fires.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

DonkeyHotay posted:

For a long time there was speculation that HE shatters had a lower chance of starting a fire, but I think tons of testing (and probably dev comments) show that its exactly the same as a penetrating hit. Like most WG code, the math behind fires can be a bit fuzzy, as ships increase in tier you are less likely to start a fire. Its roughly 5% per tier IIRC, so a Yamato basically halves your fire chance, while an Amagi would only be like 40%.

My prediction is that the last day of this summer sale will be Roma for 30% off. I'll probably just get it out of a Christmas box and never use it anyways

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

ZombieLenin posted:

Indeed, especially during those 1 in 20 matches you aren’t seeing Tier VIII.

i play RN battleships, i know when to slam that HE and light 'em up up up

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Loky11 posted:

with the mino, you transcend giving a poo poo.

You play it like a dd. the rudder shift means you can angle extremely quickly and just torp the poo poo out of people dumb enough to get within 12km of you. You blast dd's with your fast arming ap and then you time your run back to safety between their salvos.

I've had the best games and the most fun when i literally did the dumbest poo poo. with the mino, since you have so many tools available to you, you can get away with it.

ed: spelling
Totally agree. My best games are where I'm pushing caps, sneaking around islands, ambushing BBs at 6km, etc. You just have so many loving tools to play with that you can usually outplay another ship.

It also accelerates from 0 to ~20 knots in just a few seconds and then slows from 20 knots to 0 in what feels like half a minute. I swear a Yamato full stops faster.

DonkeyHotay posted:

Is the Khaba even better than the Tashkent or Grozovoi at this point? They can both do everything the Khaba can and more with the exception of stopping some 203mm cruiser HE. A Grozovoi setup properly can kite and burn just as well as the Khaba but also still have smoke, good torps and destroyer levels of stealth, I'm not really sure why you'd play Khaba.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

cheese posted:

Totally agree. My best games are where I'm pushing caps, sneaking around islands, ambushing BBs at 6km, etc. You just have so many loving tools to play with that you can usually outplay another ship.

It also accelerates from 0 to ~20 knots in just a few seconds and then slows from 20 knots to 0 in what feels like half a minute. I swear a Yamato full stops faster.

Is the Khaba even better than the Tashkent or Grozovoi at this point? They can both do everything the Khaba can and more with the exception of stopping some 203mm cruiser HE. A Grozovoi setup properly can kite and burn just as well as the Khaba but also still have smoke, good torps and destroyer levels of stealth, I'm not really sure why you'd play Khaba.

tashkent will become an excellent boat with the upcoming buffs; groz is flat out better than the khab in every way at the moment, especially with the legendary mod.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

if the RN DD's play anything like the Gallant, I am stoked because I love that stupid little bote.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

They don't exactly because they get that perth-like smoke thing.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

if the RN DD's play anything like the Gallant, I am stoked because I love that stupid little bote.

With the effusion of radar—battleships, new cruiser lines, everywhere loving radar—I am a bit puzzled how wargaming thinks slow plodding DDs that rely on smoke to stay alive are going to cut it past Tier 7.

Though the RN captain from the Dunkirk missions is looking like it was 100% designed around being a RN dd captain.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Pacra posted:

tashkent will become an excellent boat with the upcoming buffs; groz is flat out better than the khab in every way at the moment, especially with the legendary mod.
I can't settle on a captain build for Groz. I'm starting to think AFT is actually a trap skill as the new normal range of 12km+ is more than enough.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Blindeye posted:

They don't exactly because they get that perth-like smoke thing.

:fap:

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Let’s try and do some clan wars tonight folks.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

cheese posted:

Something to be said for an extra turret though. I'm looking forward to the new guns on the Trashkan though, those will help a lot.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

CitizenKain posted:

Something to be said for an extra turret though. I'm looking forward to the new guns on the Trashkan though, those will help a lot.

Will the Tashkent lose its longer range that it had over the Khaba? I loved mine to death so I can only imagine the Khaba is the same, but MORE.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Decided to try out manual secondaries on the Massachusetts tonight.

Half a point away from getting IFHE back then I suspect the fun begins.

E:

Not that this wasn't fun :stare:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 26, 2018

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The Minotaur competitive meta is real. :aaa:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Blindeye posted:

Will the Tashkent lose its longer range that it had over the Khaba? I loved mine to death so I can only imagine the Khaba is the same, but MORE.

Nope, looks like the Tashkent keeps the long range. The new guns on the Tashkent are incredible, the ship is so much more fun to play now. You can actually do some dodging at range and still fire at things.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

Heartcatch posted:

The Minotaur competitive meta is real. :aaa:

vindicated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Was it in doubt? I've seen 10GO, TWA, TTT, and some others run Mino's. It was either TWA or TTT that ran 4x Mino vs OMNI, and almost won.

Literally anything with a radar is viable in Clan Wars.