Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Is that poking fun at the Trump/iran tweet?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

:lol: that’s loving beautiful

I like how they completely rattled the metal genre over 20 years ago causing an entire genre to be born out of trying to copy them and no one has come close. It’s impressive.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I like how they completely rattled the metal genre over 20 years ago causing an entire genre to be born out of trying to copy them and no one has come close. It’s impressive.

I thought I liked djent but it turned out I only liked Meshuggah.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Anime Reference posted:

They’re one of my all time favorite bands :D

I like SOME. Periphery has some cool riffs and catchy songs even though I can never totally like them. Animals as Leaders is great but that’s getting away from the “djent” genre. The ripples from the genre are better than the direct Meshuggah influenced bands. I also like that the genre pushed home recording/ease of setting up a simple studio further into being attainable.

It took the unattainable concept of recording precise, layered prog metal albums to a thing completely doable in some kids bedroom. I know there’s a lot of dislike surrounding that, but I think it’s neat.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Is that poking fun at the Trump/iran tweet?

Seems like it.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

it's funny because they were basically ignored for 5-6 years after destroy erase improve until everyone got on the internet and they opened for tool a bunch

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Reference posted:

Soul Burn is one of my favorite "Weird starts and stops" songs ever.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Muppets On PCP posted:

it's funny because they were basically ignored for 5-6 years after destroy erase improve until everyone got on the internet and they opened for tool a bunch

I didn’t realize that. I got into them mid 00s when I started getting into real metal. They were definitely gaining fans fast though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Everything I heard people say in the early days about meshuggah was basically "incredibly impressive, technically, but also not really music"

And then they accidentally made a genre lmao

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Muppets On PCP posted:

I actually saw them open for Tool in that period with some friends of mine, who were all vastly unenthused by the ping-pong riffs. I was just getting into metal at that point and had heard and liked a couple tracks from Nothing, so I was excited.

Similarly, the time I saw Tool and Fantomas opened and I was super into it and my friends were just like "what the gently caress is that guy doing" when Mike Patton started Pattoning.

(I got into Tool because I heard they were touring with King Crimson, who I was obsessed with at the time - it's me, I'm the stupid music poo poo)

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

Everything I heard people say in the early days about meshuggah was basically "incredibly impressive, technically, but also not really music"

And then they accidentally made a genre lmao

their first album was alright for what it is, but as far as the stuff they're known for they've pretty much been writing variations on future breed machine for a quarter century

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I wish I understood this, the way musicians do. :sigh:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

prefect posted:

Play white key on a piano and one of the black keys that's touching it, so like a E and a D# together

Here's in on a guitar
https://jguitar.com/chordname?string5=x&string4=5&string3=8&string2=x&string1=x&string0=x

(click on the speaker to the right of the fretboard)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I saw Tool in the King Crimson and Meshuggah tours. I can objectively say that Meshuggah absolutely butt-hosed Tool the day I saw them. It wasn't even a "Oh, they're different genres" or "Well, Tool has this whole audio-visual trip". None of that bullshit. Meshuggah absolutely KA-RUSHED them.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I was looking for something in the old thread and just ran into this again

you're welcome

https://indavideo.hu/video/Stardust_Reverie_-_Universal_Horrors

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Shugojin posted:

:wtc:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

hexwren posted:

I was looking for something in the old thread and just ran into this again

you're welcome

https://indavideo.hu/video/Stardust_Reverie_-_Universal_Horrors

this is what every nightwish/therion/whatever song sounds like to me

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I appreciate the blunt sincerity of that song and video

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

prefect posted:

I said something similar in the guitar thread and someone wrote up a nice post about it.

Fake edit: It was Enourmo

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Biggest Meltdowner posted:

I said something similar in the guitar thread and someone wrote up a nice post about it.

Fake edit: It was Enourmo

Ow my brain. Gonna take some time to work this out, but thanks for the link. :tipshat:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esKFx2flHDg

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think it was mostly just excusing people who didn't like it. Their whole thing is very easy to not like.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Shugojin posted:

"incredibly impressive, technically, but also not really music"

i have literally never had the urge to listen to meshuggah before reading this sentence, but goddamn if my interest isn't piqued

not in a sarcastic way, either, this sounds cool as hell

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

CaptainViolence posted:

i have literally never had the urge to listen to meshuggah before reading this sentence, but goddamn if my interest isn't piqued

any group that has acclaim for 25+ years and holds widespread claim to inventing a widely interpreted genre is worth a listen to at least once, in my opinion

I cant listen to them everyday but sometimes you get the itch, u know?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

CaptainViolence posted:

When Meshuggah clicks, they REALLY click like few other bands can.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

CaptainViolence posted:

Meshuggah is one of the greatest bands ever. Listen to their latest album. It’s my favorite of theirs and a pretty good introduction.

They’re very musical though, not wanky at all. It’s hard to get for some people but it’s not “indulgent” like a lot of techy bands.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Usually people who say things like "that's not really music" are people who wasted their time and money at Musicians Institute and have never made anything anyone in the world would ever want to hear, but they remember their scales so good on them for that I guess. The 80s were full of generic axe masturbators who sneered at hip-hop, dance music, and electronic but would have lined up for the chance to open for Racer X in front of no more than 20 male virgins. Now they're all bluesdads, if they're lucky. And if they aren't, they post on internet forums.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Usually if someone says something isn't music or art you can safely ignore their opinion.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Usually if someone says something isn't music or art you can safely ignore their opinion.

Exception: Roger Ebert was correct that video games are not art.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It usually means I should check that poo poo out ASAP

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Snowy posted:

Testify.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Stupid Music poo poo confession: I once had sex with Meshuggah's Obzen and the Akira Yamaoka Silent Hill 2 Soundtrack for one night. It was a thoroughly... unique night. Also, I never thought I'd find someone as crazy for Meshuggah as that one lady.

No, I will not apologize for that wordplay. :colbert:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

prefect posted:

That still makes me want to throw my lifelong love for Ebert away lmao

It’s an excellent personal nerd trigger

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

prefect posted:

Clearly he didn't play the Metal Gear Solid games :colbert:

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

listened to The Violent Sleep of Reason. it's definitely not my normal everyday jam, but i dig it. very textural. i think it's gonna be good "music to sit down with and really pay attention to when i want to think about music " along with, like, miles davis and john cage. thanks, thread!

Snowy posted:

yeah, extremely this. i literally only know the name joe bonamassa because of the article where he complained about guitar effects that got posted in this thread, and he sticks in my mind purely as "i wish i knew what bands that guy doesn't like because i bet they are interesting as gently caress."

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

CaptainViolence posted:

listened to The Violent Sleep of Reason. it's definitely not my normal everyday jam, but i dig it. very textural. i think it's gonna be good "music to sit down with and really pay attention to when i want to think about music " along with, like, miles davis and john cage. thanks, thread!

Nice! Tap into the almost tribal and meditative feeling of Meshuggah if you can. That’s what I like about them. I love zoning out to the rhythms they craft. They’re always weird enough to take your brain to an interesting place but always resolve without losing focus. If you sit down and give them full attention you’ll certainly be rewarded.

It sounds funny but I love Meshuggah just as much for doing the dishes as I do working out. They get me in a good head space.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Whoever says that Meshuggah is not workout music has never used "Combustion" for warm-up.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Wark Say posted:

Whoever says that Meshuggah is not workout music has never used "Combustion" for warm-up.

Preach!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wark Say posted:

I’m going to do this in literally 5 minutes