Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
That Runelord strat means I have to use Tressa tho. I ended up just using Alfyn subbed as Merchant to have 9 sidesteps, and poisoned her forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Thief subclass seems tailor-made for Tressa given the Snatcher ability, I practically rushed to get all the Thief abilities just to unlock that one skill

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

That Runelord strat means I have to use Tressa tho.

now that's what I call a win-win strategy

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

now that's what I call a win-win strategy

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

chlorophylls posted:

therion's laugh is very cute

wa hahahaha

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

If I had to pick a favorite thing about Therion I guess I'd have to say "everything."

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Some Numbers posted:

So what I'm getting from this is that I should not attempt any of the advanced jobs without the Dancer and Cleric Divine Skills?

I didn't need them for Runelord or Warmaster. Runelord was two characters with Sidestep (with Merchant Olberic spamming Incite) and two characters with Saving Grave, with Alfyn constantly feeding BP, using Empoison, and Rehabilitate to prevent status effects. Warmaster is trivial simply with Transfer Rune on Tressa plus the counter passive on any character that knows it.

Leghold is also crazy useful to have for these fights.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

IcePhoenix posted:

Hunter until you unlock warmaster, then warmaster.

fezball posted:

His stats are really balanced, so he can do just about everything competently. His default job is good enough that he doesn't really require additional damage options (although he can certainly make good use of them, it's just that the drains are so good that he can get by fine with just them).

So I think he's best with a support-type secondary, for your party cleric or merchant sound like decent options - that's assuming that Primrose is doing scholar/sorceror though, you definitely want one of those around and Therion is the next best option for it.

IcePhoenix posted:

Therion can just do tons of damage as warmaster with the warmaster attacks, then refill his sp gague in one move. If you can time the warmaster divine with an enemy being broken it's worth a good 50-60k damage. Olberic provides emergency heals (which heal for a ton since he has a high elemental defense from equipment and stats) but otherwise screams a lot about his blade and can do upwards of 40K with his divine. Prim explodes things and provides the occasional buff. Alfyn provides buffs, heals, and bp to everyone in various ways, poisons bosses, and also helps with breaking defenses (don't underestimate the power of boosting the hired help skill, the mercenaries and dancers in there are cheap but can really turn the tide with their buff/debuffs)

I had Therion as a hunter for a while, but I just wasn't really feeling like I ever had a reason to use his hunter stuff, unless I happened to need bow damage. Maybe I was just missing something?

And I do indeed have Primrose as a scholar; she's my caster and main source of big damage once enemies are broken (those double-hit spells hurt a lot)

I'm still a ways out from the advanced jobs, but I forgot that the merchant's hired help summons always hit all enemies, so that actually makes a good fit for Therion since he doesn't have any other AOE attacks. That'd mean swapping hunter with Alfyn... or I could just have Alfyn double up on thief since he always needs more SP to fuel his axe attacks, and Steal SP has the added benefit of double-hitting.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

is it just me or is the Hunter skillset not that impressive? H'annit shines for me mainly because of Linde and the pokemon grab bag you can amass for every situation. The Hunter as a subclass in itself is ok but Trueshot seems to be the only thing I use on anyone with the subclass, alongside Legtrap occasionally.

In terms of weapons I just use Tressa for bows and Therion/Olberic/Alfyn with the Apothecary subclass for axes. Olberic in particular with Amputation is the poo poo.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How does speed on weapons work exactly? Does it just add it to your total?

Going around the Chapter 4 zones now I'm finding my entire party acting after the enemies, which is really annoying. I even put the +80 speed accessory on a couple of them but the enemy almost always get their turn first (and I'm overleveled too!)

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Some Numbers posted:

So what I'm getting from this is that I should not attempt any of the advanced jobs without the Dancer and Cleric Divine Skills?

You need Dancer 100% for the Sorcerer and Starseer unless your level is pretty high. Cleric is optional for all of them but makes Runelord much much easier. Warlord requires you to have beaten Runelord first but is a free fight after that. The order I would recommend is Sorcerer -> Starseer -> Runelord -> Warmaster. I started them at level 37~

On an unrelated note, I don't necessarily want the stories to be connected, but it'd be nice if the stories also had hints strewn about them in the world as opposed to them forcefeeding you. Ophilias chapter 3/4 would have been a lot cooler if when you find out about a cult leader, the only other named character in her story hadn't JUST asked you about hey do you ever think god has totally abandoned us and what if YOU were god haha thatd be crazy huh

DLC Inc posted:

is it just me or is the Hunter skillset not that impressive? H'annit shines for me mainly because of Linde and the pokemon grab bag you can amass for every situation. The Hunter as a subclass in itself is ok but Trueshot seems to be the only thing I use on anyone with the subclass, alongside Legtrap occasionally.

In terms of weapons I just use Tressa for bows and Therion/Olberic/Alfyn with the Apothecary subclass for axes. Olberic in particular with Amputation is the poo poo.

Hunter is kind of niche, but what it does it does well. The critical bow skill is useless because at some point I just stopped doing non-crits. Legtrap is good for bosses since it will let you get eight turns in a row (4 after the enemy recovers from break, 4 before next turn) to get in setup and a guaranteed break for lots of damage. The skill that hits all enemies 8 times with a bow is also a great shield breaking skill for grinding. Not to mention the GREAT passive skills. It's great weapon coverage on Therion and I used it on him for a long time, but eventually it'll get outclassed like all the other non-advanced.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 25, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DLC Inc posted:

404notfound posted:

I had Therion as a hunter for a while, but I just wasn't really feeling like I ever had a reason to use his hunter stuff, unless I happened to need bow damage. Maybe I was just missing something?

And I do indeed have Primrose as a scholar; she's my caster and main source of big damage once enemies are broken (those double-hit spells hurt a lot)

I'm still a ways out from the advanced jobs, but I forgot that the merchant's hired help summons always hit all enemies, so that actually makes a good fit for Therion since he doesn't have any other AOE attacks. That'd mean swapping hunter with Alfyn... or I could just have Alfyn double up on thief since he always needs more SP to fuel his axe attacks, and Steal SP has the added benefit of double-hitting.

Arrowstorm does an awful lot of AoE damage and Therion makes the SP cost negligible, compared to H'aanit who I think has the smallest SP pool in the game?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Some Numbers posted:

I managed to do the Runelord without any divine skills, and then from there, with the rest, the only time I used divine skills was the Apothecary Divine skill for the Starseer fight. You just have to find workarounds and exploits for the fights. Once you find out their pattern, you can normally forumlate a strategy.

Hint: concoct is OP

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

IcePhoenix posted:

Arrowstorm does an awful lot of AoE damage and Therion makes the SP cost negligible, compared to H'aanit who I think has the smallest SP pool in the game?

SP Pool is like this:

Excellent: Ophilia
Awesome: Cyrus
Decent: Tressa, Primrose, Alfyn
Mediocre: Olberic, Therion, H'aanit

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Folt The Bolt posted:

SP Pool is like this:

makes sense

but see previous comment about Therion being able to just refill it in one action, which H'aanit and Olberic can't do :v:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Folt The Bolt posted:

SP Pool is like this:

Primrose's SP pool is pretty lame considering how Bewildering Dance is 25p. Tressa's smaller SP pool is a non-issue at least for her base skills, which cost little or use monies instead. Guess I should respec my Ophilia subclass as Hunter/Warrior

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

100 degrees Calcium posted:

If I had to pick a favorite thing about Therion I guess I'd have to say "everything."

Therion is best boy and my favorite character. I imagine a lot of it is attached to him being my starter character but I just love his non-stop sass and he has some nice character depth and growth through his story.

Plus I'm always a sucker for thief types.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

makes sense

but see previous comment about Therion being able to just refill it in one action, which H'aanit and Olberic can't do :v:

To be honest, Olberic's AoE skill is also rather cheap. H'aanit's is very costly. Though it's made a nonissue for most of the game if you're like me and had everyone buy Merchant Skills for SP Saver.

DLC Inc posted:

Primrose's SP pool is pretty lame considering how Bewildering Dance is 25p. Tressa's smaller SP pool is a non-issue at least for her base skills, which cost little or use monies instead. Guess I should respec my Ophilia subclass as Hunter/Warrior

Primrose's SP pool is kind of lame for someone like her that has a high elemental attack and whose damage output relies on magic spells.

It's considerably less lame if you're making use of her dance buffs though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Folt The Bolt posted:

To be honest, Olberic's AoE skill is also rather cheap. H'aanit's is very costly. Though it's made a nonissue for most of the game if you're like me and had everyone buy Merchant Skills for SP Saver.

Primrose's SP pool is kind of lame for someone like her that has a high elemental attack and whose damage output relies on magic spells.

It's considerably less lame if you're making use of her dance buffs though.

Well H'aanit is multitarget multihit, Olberic hits just once.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Folt The Bolt posted:

I was really only responding to Therion v H'aanit earlier, I just mentioned Olberic in that post because he was shown to be on the same tier of SP pool. Also since my Olberic is a cleric I don't really have SP issues because some of his gear gives +SP.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Did a little testing because I was curious, and bad news for Therion lovers. I tried both the Cleric and Dancer divine skills in regards to Share SP. You can't pass SP to everyone, so Dancer skill just doesn't work at all. Share SP will still activate twice via the Cleric skill, but the second pass won't actually give any SP once you run out, so you can't boost 4x and give someone like 999 SP.

One thing you CAN do though is use Boost Share SP to donate your entire SP pool to someone and it will overheal them, I did it to Ophilia and she ended up with like 550 SP. There's also an accessory you get from a quest in the 3rd tier city in the winter zone where you gotta tell the guy about all the dragons. He gives you the Dragon Scarf, which gives you 6 SP per turn, meaning even if Therion gives away his entire SP pool the next turn you'll still be able to use SP Thief and fill back up.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Do you have to finish everyone's stories to get to the full ending? I only ask because I'm really looking forward to doing H'annit's stuff.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

There's also an accessory you get from a quest in the 3rd tier city in the winter zone where you gotta tell the guy about all the dragons. He gives you the Dragon Scarf, which gives you 6 SP per turn, meaning even if Therion gives away his entire SP pool the next turn you'll still be able to use SP Thief and fill back up.

You can steal or buy one of these from Tressa's mom too. I have one on Tressa with Second Wind and SP Saver, so my Scholar spells are basically free.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I feel bad skipping cutscenes, but Ophilia's story is so boring so far in chapter 1 and 2.. every other character is awesome, though. About 23 hours into the game and loving it still.

My primary party ends up being:

Therion (Merchant)
Alfyn (Scholar)
Cyrus (Dancer)
story / Olberic (Apothacery / Hunter) / H'aanit (Warrior) this is a really difficult fourth slot to decide on outside of story time.

Having 2x Scholars makes random encounters complete in a round or two, and gives me a ton of break capabilities. I eventually should probably not use 2x Scholar as a setup but for now it works very well.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Boost bewildering make it better?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Some Numbers posted:

Do you have to finish everyone's stories to get to the full ending? I only ask because I'm really looking forward to doing H'annit's stuff.

You have to beat everyone's chapter 4s, a few subsequent sidequests, and a post game section to get the full story for each character and the links between them.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Bombadilillo posted:

You get an extra cast for each boost so yes kind of

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

In the sense that rolling twice is probably better than once, yeah.

It doesn't change the odds for good vs bad outcomes, so far as I've seen.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Did a little testing because I was curious, and bad news for Therion lovers. I tried both the Cleric and Dancer divine skills in regards to Share SP. You can't pass SP to everyone, so Dancer skill just doesn't work at all. Share SP will still activate twice via the Cleric skill, but the second pass won't actually give any SP once you run out, so you can't boost 4x and give someone like 999 SP.

One thing you CAN do though is use Boost Share SP to donate your entire SP pool to someone and it will overheal them, I did it to Ophilia and she ended up with like 550 SP. There's also an accessory you get from a quest in the 3rd tier city in the winter zone where you gotta tell the guy about all the dragons. He gives you the Dragon Scarf, which gives you 6 SP per turn, meaning even if Therion gives away his entire SP pool the next turn you'll still be able to use SP Thief and fill back up.

As a Therion lover, this doesn't affect me because Therion's SP is for Therion to murder with :q:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah you pretty much have to take him from yellow health to dead before he can get a single move off.

Wait wait wait wait.....you can see the health of an enemy without judging it by steal(etc.)-percentage???

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

So do none of the advanced jobs have healing spells? If you guys are talking about having all of them in the party at once, are you pretty much locked into having Ophilia in the party? I'm only partway through the Ch3s but I can't imagine not having Heal More available at all times.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phenotype posted:

So do none of the advanced jobs have healing spells? If you guys are talking about having all of them in the party at once, are you pretty much locked into having Ophilia in the party? I'm only partway through the Ch3s but I can't imagine not having Heal More available at all times.

Well Alfyn can do a group heal as well of course

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

tuo posted:

Wait wait wait wait.....you can see the health of an enemy without judging it by steal(etc.)-percentage???

Yellow enemy names usually indicate "halfway there" so for that boss, yellow means floor it and kill that fucker before he can murder you.

Alternately burn one of your scholars' turns and use Analyze for a health display that lasts like 5 seconds.

Phenotype posted:

They don't but Runelord-Merchant can use Transfer Rune to apply Rest to the whole party. :getin:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
You can also subclass anyone into cleric

Having the four "advanced" jobs all equipped isn't necessarily optimal and probably outright bad for most of the game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wow I walked in to the archmagus expecting to wipe with my b-team after trying warmaster earlier in my playthrough. What I got instead was Olberic just snapping a old man in half.

I feel like he was supposed to use his debuff/no buff gimmick more but outside the first time he never did it again and I was just putting reflect on everyone + poison so he just self nuked for the most part while Olberic chunked out like 30k per swing. No-one on my party even died which shocked me.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

tuo posted:

Yeah, the enemy’s name changes color: white->green->yellow->red
I assumed this is 25% for each but I haven’t checked.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

DalaranJ posted:

Yeah, the enemy’s name changes color: white->green->yellow->red
I assumed this is 25% for each but I haven’t checked.

Wait green? I've literally never seen green. It just goes White -> Yellow -> Red :psyduck:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Well H'aanit is multitarget multihit, Olberic hits just once.

True, but I think Olberic's is better for pure damage. H'aanit's is good for breaking, but to be frank, that's all it really has going for it. (It does it very well though.)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I also want to take a moment to state that the games second favorite boss trope outside of Large guy and two Smaller guys is Large Guy sitting in a chair and being too lazy to bother. I think I've seen like 4 so far lmao.

Folt The Bolt posted:

True, but I think Olberic's is better for pure damage. H'aanit's is good for breaking, but to be frank, that's all it really has going for it. (It does it very well though.)

H'aanit is a broken unit in my game in that I can get her close to Olberic's damage, and I can get her accuracy just about the same but she for some reason seems to miss loving everything. Like I've missed some critical attacks and it's only her that keeps loving up and argh :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

H'aanit is a broken unit in my game in that I can get her close to Olberic's damage, and I can get her accuracy just about the same but she for some reason seems to miss loving everything. Like I've missed some critical attacks and it's only her that keeps loving up and argh :psyduck:

H'aanit has the highest accuracy though.

Though, I guess it doesn't help that the Hunter moveset's damage moves doesn't really play off of her biggest strengths, since the multi-hit moves is always random in how many hits will actually hit (but always hits at least three times) and the one that isn't a multi-hit move always crits. Subclassing solves this issue somewhat.