Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
i think its the intended way to get rid of maggots too since red moss says its maggot repellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I always forget red moss is a thing because bleed is so rarely an issue, and the torch is easier to use for the maggots because you can just put it in your second offhand slot in the areas where worm-infecting things show up and just swap to it if you get infected.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I always forget red moss is a thing because bleed is so rarely an issue, and the torch is easier to use for the maggots because you can just put it in your second offhand slot in the areas where worm-infecting things show up and just swap to it if you get infected.

Whenever I get it from the treemen in DS1, I always say to myself "aka Lordran's USELESS Moss"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm never gonna go out of my way to actually buy a torch, and you can get red moss for free in at least a couple spots(like catacombs, which I normally do at least some of before cathedral because I always just go straight through swamp->keep->catacombs->remember i need to actually turn back to that side area in swamp I always forget and kill crystal sage then go to cathedral before i go into irthyll)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

gently caress Gael's stupid flying multidirection lunge attack in his last phase. Gets me every time. :argh:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

iirc the pyromancy flame scares away the worms too.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

HaB posted:

Large Crystal Lizard is my guess.

yeah, it was this. his blue aesthetic just reminded me of an ice version of that flame demon from the Undead Settlement and I didn't know what he was

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Deacons down :toot:

glad I switched out my sword earlier for the Lucerne because the sweeping attack was wonderful.

incidentally, what stats should I be focusing on if I'm running the Lucerne and the Mail Breaker? just strength and dexterity equally? I've got both at 20 and vigor/endurance are at 15 with basically no investment in attunement, intelligence, vitality, faith, or luck

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

Deacons down :toot:

glad I switched out my sword earlier for the Lucerne because the sweeping attack was wonderful.

incidentally, what stats should I be focusing on if I'm running the Lucerne and the Mail Breaker? just strength and dexterity equally? I've got both at 20 and vigor/endurance are at 15 with basically no investment in attunement, intelligence, vitality, faith, or luck

If you run 40/40 Strength/Dex you'll be able to take your pick of 80% of the game's weapons

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Because people are fighting Halflight for once I'm phantoming the Spear fight and I got a laugh out of the painting guardian lag backstabbing me instead of vice versa for once. Good for them! :v:

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
The worm thing is good to know for invaders too. If your opponent has worms you will remove them if you inflict fire damage (e.g. infusion, firebombs, pyromancy) so keep it mind, because that spot where you have to cross the bridge to the graveyard that the giant archer can reach is a fantastic choke point, and worms help invaders a lot. Similar to how if you're using frost damage on someone, once it procs, hit them with fire damage to reset the build up meter.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Doing a frostburn run through the game and seeing invaders panic roll away after realizing frost is about to proc for the second time in 20 seconds never gets old.

Plus it just melts bosses. :getin:

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So after spending my time in DSR since its release, I have started a new DS3 run.

Does anyone have either the Murakumo or the Shadow Set they could drop me? I’d rather not have to play thru most of the game with weapons I don’t want.

On PS4. Available most of the day today to jump on whenever.

PSN: monkrocker

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

HaB posted:

So after spending my time in DSR since its release, I have started a new DS3 run.

Does anyone have either the Murakumo or the Shadow Set they could drop me? I’d rather not have to play thru most of the game with weapons I don’t want.

I'm sure I have it, either upgraded or not if you have a preference. I'm at work now but I'm around a little bit tomorrow morning (until like 9:30 CET) if that works for you. Got late shift this week so my hours are wonky.

e:

Also, I've been putting together clips from my SL1 run. Here's Abyss Watchers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf1arp4j2oM

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 24, 2018

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

HaB posted:

I could do today, I'm going home early, maybe 1-2pm EST, and I'm pretty sure I have everything. Add me on PSN (ConfusedPen) and we'll figure things out.

I've actually never traded with people; I'm guessing we join each other's game and I drop things on the ground? I'll follow your lead.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

CordlessPen posted:

I could do today, I'm going home early, maybe 1-2pm EST, and I'm pretty sure I have everything. Add me on PSN (ConfusedPen) and we'll figure things out.

I've actually never traded with people; I'm guessing we join each other's game and I drop things on the ground? I'll follow your lead.

Yep. We password up, and I summon you. You drop stuff, I gesture wildly in gratitude. Extra fun if we get invaded during, or decided to go beat the next boss.

I have a doc's appt at 1:30 EST. I will check with you when I get back, Should be around 3 or so.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
man, those fire casting guys in the Irithyll are spamming jerks :mad:

especially when there are knight guys with them and I'm just trying to take them out first

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
wtf i don't get a vertebrae for killing hodrick as an invader?? rude!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wish you didn't need to beat Midir to be a Spear of the Church. It's fun to do even if it rarely happens.

e: I hate regular pvp in DS3 but I've really turned around on that boss after all the balancing from the dlc launch, and the undead arena's great.

e: I've gotten my pvp win rate up to 50-60% :toot: Just dueling though, invading's too tedious

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 25, 2018

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
ugh, Pontiff is such a frustrating boss because he's so endlessly parryable but I keep loving up the timing which pretty much means instant death from his combos

e: the age-old strategy of complaining about it on the internet worked! now on to whatever's next

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 25, 2018

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I wish you didn't need to beat Midir to be a Spear of the Church. It's fun to do even if it rarely happens.

e: I hate regular pvp in DS3 but I've really turned around on that boss after all the balancing from the dlc launch, and the undead arena's great.

e: I've gotten my pvp win rate up to 50-60% :toot: Just dueling though, invading's too tedious

This opinion is insane to me. Dueling is pretty fun but invading is so much better.

What is really annoying is when you're invading and someone is fingered up and just sitting at a bonfire waiting to duel invaders. gently caress off back to the arena or just play the level so I can invade for real and actually have the experience I'm looking for.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just don't like the roll-and-chug game in Ds3, I love invasions in 1 and 2. Gank squads are whatever, I can usually get a few good hits in or kill a phantom at least.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Almost done with Ashes of Ariandel, I've got to say I don't really like it. Credit where it's due, I think it's very tightly designed, a bit like the original Painted World of Ariamis. It manages to feel much bigger than it really is and it connects very well with itself. It's also very pretty, but I'm a sucker for snowy mountains.

But the great world design only briefly hides the fact that it's actually really short and small. Enemies mostly feel recycled (Followers, wolves, crabs) or extremely annoying to fight (CORVIAN KNIGHTS!!!). There are only 2 bosses and one of them is double whammy of disappointment (Oooh, a clearing, it's gotta be a boss fight! Oh, it's just a regular NPC with 2 wolves. Surprise, the real boss is here! Oh, it's a third giant wolf with a few extra moves that it won't have time to show off).

The final boss I'm ambivalent about because I hate the fact that it's in phases, but I love each individual phase. The NPC summon gimmick feels both fresh but also like a cop out (if you haven't played it, you can summon an NPC from a usual summon sign, but the message you get when you do says that he'll join you later and he shows up when phase 2 of the boss starts, which is kinda neat if only because it's new, but also feels like they only did it because in testing he could never survive for the whole fight so they made him skip the first part. Or maybe it's LORE; let's ask VaatiVidya!).

Now for Ringed City! (which I heard is better)

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

CordlessPen posted:

Now for Ringed City! (which I heard is better)

The stairs right at the beginning give you one of the best views in the whole game

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cage Kicker posted:

The stairs right at the beginning give you one of the best views in the whole game

Yeah just stand there and take in the view.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Except for one boss, it’s pretty crazy how much better the ringed city is than ashes. There’s like three times as much content, way more unique stuff and most of the environments are a lot more interesting and rewarding to explore than ashes (where I was eventually just charging past the groups of endlessly copy/pasted enemies to grab the items and go, which I never do).

Ashes has a few pretty views, and not a whole lot else going for it. Also even as someone who doesn’t care about lore beyond reading the item descriptions and shrugging, the total lack of direction in ashes was weirdly noticeable, while the NPCs in ringed city felt like they were building you up for something. I think I missed whatever is supposed to happen with lapp though. After I talked to him when he was sitting in a circular room I never saw him again.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like Ashes just because the whole thing is From shaking you over and over shouting if you get it yet.

Digirat posted:

Except for one boss, it’s pretty crazy how much better the ringed city is than ashes. There’s like three times as much content, way more unique stuff and most of the environments are a lot more interesting and rewarding to explore than ashes (where I was eventually just charging past the groups of endlessly copy/pasted enemies to grab the items and go, which I never do).

Ashes has a few pretty views, and not a whole lot else going for it. Also even as someone who doesn’t care about lore beyond reading the item descriptions and shrugging, the total lack of direction in ashes was weirdly noticeable, while the NPCs in ringed city felt like they were building you up for something. I think I missed whatever is supposed to happen with lapp though. After I talked to him when he was sitting in a circular room I never saw him again.

Which boss are you thinking? Midir? I really like that one minus the "you lose" laser but I think he was so easy for me because his movesets are almost identical to Sinh's.

That said I did some phantoming this time around where I forgot the timings and I'm getting owned hard by the flames.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Digirat posted:

Lapp's quest has a load of really easy to miss encounters, which is a shame as it's definitely one of the more entertaining NPC questlines in the series

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

multijoe posted:

Lapp's quest has a load of really easy to miss encounters, which is a shame as it's definitely one of the more entertaining NPC questlines in the series

I love how the last things standing at the very end as time collapses are you, Gael, the Firekeeper, some random ringed knight and a pygmy lord, that one woman who's really pissed off at what you did to Filianore, and Patches.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I love how the last things standing at the very end as time collapses are you, Gael, the Firekeeper, some random ringed knight and a pygmy lord, that one woman who's really pissed off at what you did to Filianore, and Patches.

I like to think Patches is the same guy throughout all three games he's in.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Four. Patches the Spider

e: where is there a ringed knight in SKG’s arena? I’ve never found him

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

skasion posted:

Four. Patches the Spider

I didnt realize he was there until yesterday. Go round the left side of the arena and way behind where the thrones are. He could have tried a little harder to protect his lords. :v:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

skasion posted:

Four. Patches the Spider

Whoa. DS2 really dropped the ball.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

RBA Starblade posted:

I like Ashes just because the whole thing is From shaking you over and over shouting if you get it yet.

I'm dumb as hell, so get what?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Eschatos posted:

'Dark Souls is completely exhausted as a concept, stop asking for sequels and let the franchise die'

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

multijoe posted:

'Dark Souls is completely exhausted as a concept, stop asking for sequels and let the franchise die'

Pretty much that. The whole point of DS3's endings is that it's time to move on from the world of Dark Souls into something new. Ashes is the same thing only moreso, with the world turning rotten and maggoty because the Father and Freide won't let it end.

i still totally want more dark souls though

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

multijoe posted:

Bloodborne, on the other hand,

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

nachos posted:

Bloodborne, on the other hand,

Bloodborne 2: Dark Souls 4: Armored Core, uh, 6?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

skasion posted:

Four. Patches the Spider

Six. Patches the Hyena (Demon's Souls) and Patch the Good Luck in Armored Core. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Polo-Rican posted:

IMHO, DkS2 with no dlc is a C– game at best, but DkS2 with all of its dlc is a solid A

Eh, ivory king was the best one and large parts of it was obnoxious