Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

A variety of mineral salts of chlorine are used as road de-icing and anti-icing agents including rock salt NaCl; all of them are corrosive by their very nature. I would be interested to know if there is any objective data regarding the prevalence of rust on vehicles in Colorado versus other states. I would be quite surprised if they were actually less rusty controlling for days of snowfall and pounds of salt distributed on the roads etc.

Huh, a quick googling says that magnesium chloride was used frequently on I-70 as recently as '07, so I guess we do / did? It could just be because there's zero humidity that everything stays rust-free. Or maybe we just use a higher sand to mag chloride ratio? Or maybe it's because snowplows are so completely on the ball around here.

Seriously, AI constantly bitches about mazdas and subarus rusting like crazy. While obviously I'm not sliding under every car on the road you almost never see rocker rust around here, and Colorado is the official state of Subarus old enough to drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/07/19/strong-job-market-candidates-ghosting-interviews-offers/794264002/

quote:

At Carports & More, based in El Dorado Hills, California, nearly half of the 65 job candidates scheduled for interviews the past month didn’t show up.

At VoiceNation, an Atlanta area call center, a similar share of the 10 hires the company was making each month never came in to work.

In the Great Recession, companies ignoring your resume or never following up with job interviews or laying you off with zero notice was just the tough reality of the job market. Now that the tables are turned on employers, this is a bizarre, newsworty new trend of "ghosting". loving millennials!!!!! :ghost:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Goddammit how dare they not treat people who provide lovely jobs that they no longer want like their messiah?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They agreed to come in every day and eat poop for pennies! Why aren't they showing up!!!

quote:

In the hottest job market in decades, workers are holding all the cards. And they’re starting to play dirty.

Imagine including this in an article about call centers and retail jobs.

quote:

But realizing that wasted recruiting resources, he has shortened the interval before a new hire starts to three days from up to two weeks.

“If you don’t bring them in immediately, they’re still an open agent,” he says.

No poo poo. You were asking them to go without pay for two weeks.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 25, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They agreed to come in every day and eat poop for pennies! Why aren't they showing up!!!

At least when SA pays two Brazilian women to eat each other's poop, they Paypal it in American currency to save them on taxes.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Moneyball posted:

I never understood trying to argue a pro-conservative anything in D&D, or basically anywhere on this site. Take the L and do it somewhere else. If only one poster here would get the memo...
To be fair, I have drastically cut back on my conservative posts nowadays. True, correct? I didn't even post at all to the recent derail on Universal Healthcare and such.

Admittedly, it did took me a while to realize the political climate here, but I sincerely was not aware that this is a far-left forum. I thought it was a general-use forum. I mean SA isn't exactly famous to the extent that Stormfront and Breitbart are. Should I be faulted too much for this belated realization?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Believing people should get food and shelter and health care and be paid a decent wage is far left now??

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the problem with john smith isn't that he's a conservative, it's that he's an rear end in a top hat

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Moneyball posted:

Cut the D&D poo poo

Please :3:

Moneyball posted:

Just a reminder, but anyone who hasn't learned by now and gets in a flame war with John Smith receives the same punishment

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
1.5 Million in debt? Need advice

quote:

Hello, I was trading cryptocurrency for many people and ended up losing all the money including my own by doing large volume trading etc. All the money given wasn't signed on paper or anything. They sent it to a broker and he sent it to me in bitcoin and I traded with it. Just out of a trust and now I am getting pressured by everyone to give their money back. I ended up losing everything, including my own. I am 27 years old and lost my health, job, family, friends and now I am taking counselling free under my Canadian government, I have no assets as I live with my parents. What is the best way to settle this? I'm suicidal right now as well and under alot of stress because I want to makes things right. My intent was to help everyone make money because I was doing well, and I ended up gaining nothing but hurt from all this. Is there any legal case here against me?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wonder what kind of counseling the Canadian government provides. The provincial plans don’t cover therapists, at least. (Mental illness: BWM everywhere.)

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Subjunctive posted:

I wonder what kind of counseling the Canadian government provides. The provincial plans don’t cover therapists, at least. (Mental illness: BWM everywhere.)

Aw, cheer up eh

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/91sf69/450000_in_debt_medical_school_grad_with_no_job/

$450,000 in debt. Medical school grad with no job. posted:

Hello everyone. Throwaway account here, hoping I can get some valuable advice regarding the situation I'm in...

I'm 29 y/o, recently graduated from medical school 2 years ago with $450,000 in student loans from both undergrad college and med school.

Now the way becoming a "working" physician in the US works is you apply once a year during September, interview for a couple months, then find out whether or not you got any job the following March. This is called being "matched" into a job called medical residency where you work as a junior doctor physician for 3 years inside a hospital and then you get to apply for a real doctor job thereafter.

Unfortunately for me, I did not match into residency twice in a row. I am honestly a below average student (low grades). Upon requesting feedback from the people and directors that interviewed me, they said I was qualified, interviewed well, but my initial board scores although passing was just below average compared to everyone else.

I decided to reapply for the next year's cycle.. During that time, I worked as an ER scribe for minimum wage and unfortunately could not save up as I was living paycheck to paycheck while paying application fees, interview costs (flights, hotel, car rentals), etc. In regard to my student loans, I applied for REPAYE and qualified for $0/month on my loans, but am still accruing an insane amount of interest each day.

Fast forward a year, I ended up again not "matching" into a residency job again. At this point, I've almost completely given up and am seeking alternative career paths, but my parents convinced me to apply one last time. I moved back home (different state) to save on rent, sold pretty much most of my belongings, and am now unemployed. At this time I am studying for another medical board exam test that if I pass will hopefully show these hospitals that I may be qualified for their program. Most of my friends and family say that with the half million dollar debt I am in, I have no choice but to work as a physician and keep trying to land a residency job as a junior doctor... With that said, I really don't know what to do now, financially speaking. I can keep reapplying year after year but then my loans would just keep increasing. To even make a dent on them, I would have to pay over $900 a month just to cover interest costs before even scratching the actual loan borrowed. I don't even have the money to pay for the application fees and another years worth of travel expenses so much of the costs will be unfortunately covered by my parents. I feel like a huge financial burden to them and even with their help, I am not sure how I will pay for the other expenses for this year's cycle while trying to pay back the interest on my loans.

The application season starts this September. My exam is next month in August. I will try to find a local clinical job nearby after to acquire any income, but I'm further concerned that I will never really get out of this debt and/or never become a working licensed physician. Thank you for reading, I know I probably went all over the place so if i can clarify anything, let me know.

tl;dr $450,000 student loan debt. Medical doctor degree with no job. Living with parents.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

sheri posted:

Believing people should get food and shelter and health care and be paid a decent wage is far left now??

tbh we got a guillotine.txt thread in cspam

it's cool as hell but lol, we ain't too centrist

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Who the gently caress is this “broker” that sent one and a half million dollars to some chump to waste away on crypto?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Ahhh that's the good stuff. His loans will disappear in 20 years if he sticks to IBR, no matter what he ends up doing.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

quote:

My issue is I guaranteed returns through text messages. Like oh don't worry I will do it for you

quote:

Whats the reason for a bankruptcy attorney?

This guy is amazing.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Aren’t there residency positions that go unmatched every year? Is he being too picky or just bombing that test every year?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Barry posted:

This guy is amazing.

He's smart, a bankruptcy attorney is a waste of money he doesn't have

He can just get the criminal defense attorney for his securities fraud up to speed and get some free advice on the bankruptcy

Jan 11, 2004
If every person who illegally informally brokered and daytraded Bitcoin for their friends and lost all their money got sued by their creditors, prosecuted, and/or declared bankruptcy, it would overwhelm the United States legal system.

Jan 11, 2004

Devor posted:

He's smart, a bankruptcy attorney is a waste of money he doesn't have

He can just get the criminal defense attorney for his securities fraud up to speed and get some free advice on the bankruptcy

At this point there's no reason to declare bankruptcy because he 1) hasn't been sued or received a judgement from any of his creditors and 2) he has no personal assets. Until he has some legally established obligation to repay all this debt it is just informally owed Monopoly money.

Jan 11, 2004

Wolfy posted:

Aren’t there residency positions that go unmatched every year? Is he being too picky or just bombing that test every year?

Not sure what his exact circumstances are, but a United States MD graduate should be able to match something somewhere. He may be too picky or geographically restricted. No telling. after multiple failures to match however, your chance of successfully matching falls off precipitously.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sheri posted:

What a fair-minded way to describe SA. Hmm.

Yes, SA is indeed far left and denial isn't just a river in Egypt. Unless you are just objecting to the specific extent of far. In which case, fair point and I accept your viewpoint.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the problem with john smith isn't that he's a conservative, it's that he's an rear end in a top hat
Ah, I can just sense the open-mindedness. Tell me one far-right person you don't think is an rear end in a top hat. Since you claim that it is not me being conservative.

Put up or shut up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Not sure what his exact circumstances are, but a United States MD graduate should be able to match something somewhere. He may be too picky or geographically restricted. No telling. after multiple failures to match however, your chance of successfully matching falls off precipitously.

The guy in the OP is a Foreign Medical School graduate (FMG), with lovely boards scores to boot.

From the sound of it, he didn't get in to domestic US schools, went abroad to the East Austrian Academy of Asscratch and then unsurprisingly did poorly there.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Sepherothic posted:

The guy in the OP is a Foreign Medical School graduate (FMG), with lovely boards scores to boot.

From the sound of it, he didn't get in to domestic US schools, went abroad to the East Austrian Academy of Asscratch and then unsurprisingly did poorly there.

Yeah, from the sound of it he had a lot of the deck stacked against him to begin with. At least he's doing the (relatively) right thing of applying broadly and going for family medicine residencies too (which tend to be much, much less competitive)

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

11 probations in this thread, can he just be trained to coupons since that's this forum's closest approximation to a libertarian utopia

Help someone may have stolen my identity but I don't want to use my free credit report to check!

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/91t2rp/suspect_fraud_from_spam_sms_but_dont_want_to/ posted:

Suspect fraud from spam SMS but don't want to waste free credit report

In the last few days I've suddenly been receiving texts and phone calls that seem like someone is using my phone number to sign up for various services online, lead generation things, section 8 housing applications, etc... all appearing very shady and using India-based websites and fake phone numbers and such.

I'm concerned that I may be an identity theft victim here, but its also very possible that someone is simply using my phone number to sign up for these things so they don't get these calls and texts. I'd rather not waste my one free yearly credit report just to find out. Is there any alternative to finding out which is the case?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i think this is the definitive thread consensus now

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Sepherothic posted:

Oh no.

The last guy like that we talked about killed himself in the woods.

Stay safe, terrible doctor fellow.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Inept posted:

11 probations in this thread, can he just be trained to coupons since that's this forum's closest approximation to a libertarian utopia

Help someone may have stolen my identity but I don't want to use my free credit report to check!

uh lol, I would gladly pay the $19.95 or however much it would cost to MAYBE need to pull a credit report from a non-free source in exchange for all the time and effort I've had to go through over last few years battling identity thieves. This person seems to be familiar with how the credit reporting agencies work, and all the free alternatives too. What a dummy.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Inept posted:

11 probations in this thread, can he just be trained to coupons

hey gently caress you man coupons doesn't deserve this

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 25, 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Sirotan posted:

uh lol, I would gladly pay the $19.95 or however much it would cost to MAYBE need to pull a credit report from a non-free source in exchange for all the time and effort I've had to go through over last few years battling identity thieves. This person seems to be familiar with how the credit reporting agencies work, and all the free alternatives too. What a dummy.

But credit scores are a video game, and if you blow that free item now you might need to spend $20 to buy it again before the next boss fight

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

canyoneer posted:

But credit scores are a video game, and if you blow that free item now you might need to spend $20 to buy it again before the next boss fight

Unless you find that cool hidden vendor that buys it for $500 and lets you start the quest to unlock the Omni-Credit Check that has unlimited uses and no cooldown.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Dr. Eldarion posted:

hey gently caress you man coupons doesn't deserve this
:hai:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

canyoneer posted:

This is shockingly accurate.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Oh no.

The last guy like that we talked about killed himself in the woods.

Stay safe, terrible doctor fellow.

Wait, when did the woods part come out? I vaguely remember the guy in the thread who graduated from a Carribean medical school and didn't match a few months ago.

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

Power of Pecota posted:

Wait, when did the woods part come out? I vaguely remember the guy in the thread who graduated from a Carribean medical school and didn't match a few months ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/699gan/my_brother_killed_himself_what_happens_to_his/?st=jk1kyisb&sh=908b4437

Loans cosigned by the parents. Grim story all around.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

The OP says in the comments that the loans were private. Holy gently caress how awful to lose your son and then find out you're on the hook for $300k.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Moneyball posted:

Aw, cheer up eh
But I'm a Leafs fan, eh

*Canadian doctor turns away so the PT can't see the pained sorrow on her face*

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
"But Doctor, I am pagliacci Wayne Gretzky."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Still love a macro (I can’t find now, of course) of a translucent bra labeled Leafs

“Lots of support, no coverage”