Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

SpacePig posted:

Hello this is the sentence that has convinced me to listen to an episode of Hollywood Handbook. I am going to download an episode of a podcast I've listened to maybe 10 minutes of before and listen to the two guys make fun of nerds to silence.

Haha you seem cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Good luck, chum!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Anyone know how to fix the levels? I’m gonna break the volume switches on my phone.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

This is the best podcast ep I've heard in a longass time. Incredible.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

n8r posted:

Anyone know how to fix the levels? I’m gonna break the volume switches on my phone.

Nope. It's just a bad mix. I had the same problems.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm jealous of the way Hayes can do big laughs.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

n8r posted:

Try redownloading the episode? Chef Kevin reuploaded it with a better mix, but it took a while for it to update

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Srice posted:

I'm jealous of the way Hayes can do big laughs.

I’m way more of a Julia Roberts style laugher as well

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Amazing ep. Hearing the boys still manage to get laughs and then going back and hitting those "safe" jokes again.... so good.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Another banner ep of UTU2TM today, as well.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Piquai Souban posted:

Another banner ep of UTU2TM today, as well.

It's a rollercoaster. It's oddly refreshing hearing U2's sincerity, and the last 20 minutes were crazy.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Have they got REM on the REM show yet

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

Have they got REM on the REM show yet

Spoilers for the new RUTU2TM: Bono almost introduces them to Michael Stipe at a party but they leave too soon.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

When I listened to the 1st ep of UTU2TM 5 years ago, I predicted that it would end up with the Scotts arguing against U2's opinion, to their face, that Pop is a bad album.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

WerthersWay posted:

When I listened to the 1st ep of UTU2TM 5 years ago, I predicted that it would end up with the Scotts arguing against U2's opinion, to their face, that Pop is a bad album.

i feel like i remember this post

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I wish I had an opinion of u2 or rem

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

https://youtu.be/zevgVnnAr8k

Skip to 3:45 for the Scotts being shouted out by Bono

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Oh hey I never knew Horatio still wasn’t a citizen, good for him!
https://twitter.com/mrmattwalsh/status/1022218673958793216

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008

SpacePig posted:

Hello this is the sentence that has convinced me to listen to an episode of Hollywood Handbook. I am going to download an episode of a podcast I've listened to maybe 10 minutes of before and listen to the two guys make fun of nerds to silence.

Hey man. You know the Norm Macdonald in your avatar is from a different thing than where the quote underneath it is from. Not sure if you were aware. Thanks, bye

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008

anotherone posted:

Jimmy Pardo talked about having a similarly lovely time at Team Coco House so it sounds like the audiences just didn’t really know what was going on across the board.

The best part, and the biggest clue for how many people were just there for the Conan O'Brian Funko Pop, is the applause break for Andy Richter

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Holy f*ck...johnnyc with the garrote

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

JohnnyC posted:

Hey man. You know the Norm Macdonald in your avatar is from a different thing than where the quote underneath it is from. Not sure if you were aware. Thanks, bye

I am aware, but I couldn't think of a quote from the show that would work for an avatar, and it's also one of my favorite Norm bits.

I might actually start listening to HH now because that was really good, even without the rolling commentary, so I might go through the backlog and try and find some good ones. Any recommendations on which guests to look for?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

SpacePig posted:

I am aware, but I couldn't think of a quote from the show that would work for an avatar, and it's also one of my favorite Norm bits.

I might actually start listening to HH now because that was really good, even without the rolling commentary, so I might go through the backlog and try and find some good ones. Any recommendations on which guests to look for?
Any episodes with Paul F. Tompkins, Julie Klausner or Tom Sharpling tend to be really good. As much as the ones where the guest seems out of their element is enjoyable in their own way, the people who immediately embrace the surreal mindset of the show tend to work much better.

If you're limited to the free ones, the one with Adam Lustick and the new recent Tom Sharpling were my personal favs.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The recent live show where they make Chef Kevin be a dog is a good one. Dunno if it's any good for someone new to the show, but it's easily in the Top 3 ep of the year for me.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

The recent live show where they make Chef Kevin be a dog is a good one. Dunno if it's any good for someone new to the show, but it's easily in the Top 3 ep of the year for me.
Agreed on both points. Very good ep, and I have no idea whether or not it would be good for new listeners. Kevin fails to book a guest for the show, and the boys grill him on what happened in front of a live audience.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Both Erin Gibson eps are top tier imo, wish she was on more often

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
The recent one with jess McKenna where they do the concert, i remember being real good

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ImPureAwesome posted:

The recent one with jess McKenna where they do the concert, i remember being real good

haha yes

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ImPureAwesome posted:

Wait, is that the one where The Big Bopper sings Just Bop It at Coachella? That one was amazing.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Oh wait, I don't see it trying to find it in the feed, that might a pro version one. I binged them back in June on a trial

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I've still got Premium for now, so I have access to both. Thanks for the recommendations, folks. I think I tried a PFT episode before expecting something different, but now that I know what the show is, I might be better prepared to like it.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

If you can get through the paywall, check out the Dave Thomas or Sinbad episodes from early in the show. Both guests IMMEDIATELY get what the show is about and dive in.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
seconding Dave Thomas and Sinbad, also the Whitmer Thomas/Clay Tatum episodes are some of my favorites

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Shaun Diston's somewhat recent episode of HH where they make golden globes predictions is one of my all time favorites, #222.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
oh yeah, and the recent Joe Mande George Carlin takedown was really good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Greggy posted:

Oh yeah, that one was great.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Greggy posted:

I've listened to this episode three times, stone cold classic

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Once you have a little background, they actually do have a clip show somewhere that’s pretty good. Captures most of my favorite isolated runs. Barring that the episode where they interview the engineers is super fun, as is the first birthboy eps. Hard to go wrong tho, cheers, interested in hearing your thoughts :cheerdoge:

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Early episodes of Hollywood Handbook are a lot more structured. They used to do two themed segments before going into an interview section. If you feel yourself getting lost mid-ep, try out a few of those.

I think they went from pulling audio clips for Reality Show Show segments to partially planning bits to having the barest to no game-plans ahead of the scheduled record time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I just listened to "Joe Wengert, Again, Our Close Friend" and "Paul F. Tompkins and Joe Wengert Present Brandon Content, A WolfCool Exclusive Character" and they remain two of my all-time favorites. They have everything: the Hotdog Go To Bathroom quiz, the parade of bizarre advertising characers, a great Teaser Freezer ("Plate is for food-on, not wall-throw,") and fulfillment on the promise of the original Brandon Content joke.

Greggy posted:

seconding Dave Thomas and Sinbad, also the Whitmer Thomas/Clay Tatum episodes are some of my favorites

I love the second one, where it somehow turns into an improvised story about Whit and Clay being suspicious of Hayes and Sean's new friend and their participation in the school play. Oh, and they're in high school now.

Tarranon posted:

the episode where they interview the engineers is super fun

bababooey