Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

:(

Best of luck to you, we've been in that kind of situation before (though not specifically the manifold) and hopefully you'll be able to figure out a way to pay this off, be it getting a second opinion, finding a cheaper mechanic, purchasing the required parts yourself and paying for the labor, or whatever other choices you have

As I said, I have the money, just not much on top of it. Right now it's not so much me wondering how I'm gonna pay for this but being bummed that my meager savings that were starting to pile up a little bit are now going to be almost completely drained.

Also in regards to getting a second opinion, I should but I do at least sort of trust these guys (at least as far as you can trust a mechanic) and I also can't afford to have my car out of commission very long because I do a lot of driving for my job.

quick note: I did call them back and it's mainly the catalytic converter, not just manifold. Also the O2 sensor and the flex pipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

glam rock hamhock posted:

quick note: I did call them back and it's mainly the catalytic converter, not just manifold. Also the O2 sensor and the flex pipe.

none of that stuff is real. it’s all just screws and tanks in there.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm assuming that the fact that it costs the exact maximum amount you can afford means that it's a conspiracy and they've been spying on you

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
A "flex pipe" is 100% a joke item used to inflate your bill. It's like asking the new guy to grab a box of tickmarks or something. Plain doesn't exist.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Now I think you guys are just trying to get me more frazzled.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

We just had to spend $850 on a plumber to snake our drain waste vent, I agree that unexpected major expenses suck :(

On the bright side I just won $0.80 in HQ Trivia

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

We just had to spend $850 on a plumber to snake our drain waste vent, I agree that unexpected major expenses suck :(

On the bright side I just won $0.80 in HQ Trivia

My wife and I have been playing this dumb poo poo for a year and we don’t even have enough $$ to cash out yet.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

We just had to spend $850 on a plumber to snake our drain waste vent

Sex work is expensive, especially if you go union tradesman

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The important thing to remember is that mechanics are almost always going to try to screw you out of your money. Making up fake problems to fix is the number one way to do that.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Man I feel lucky to have never met a scumbag mechanic.

Heck it was the dealer that solved my problem quickly and cheaply the time I had a problem with my last car.

those are all real parts

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

https://youtu.be/A3eHJUNCkQc

War's watcher was an antagonistic rear end in a top hat, but it looks like Fury's is her buddy and hype woman.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

don't trust any mechanics not called cid or cindy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

When her name was Cindy and not Cidney I knew FF15 was off to a rough start

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Wait, guys, hear me out on this

I've got it. The next big thing.

CARts

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It was originally, back when she was the game's Cid and not her dad.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

how 'bout the dee-cals?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It is in Japan. They made it Cindy for us baka gaijins.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Wait, guys, hear me out on this

I've got it. The next big thing.

FARts

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't wanna play a far cry real time strategy though...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
FarCraft

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

everyone these days talks about gyarados....... folks, what happened to Gyarauno ??

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oddium posted:

everyone these days talks about gyarados....... folks, what happened to Gyarauno ??

Do you make that with pita bread or

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

oddium posted:

that's what you call bat poop right

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I looked up Gyarauno into google image search and came across this and I would like Nintendo/Game Freak to go back and make it cannon please

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i’m not a pokemon expert but isn’t the point of that thing is something so stupid and useless turns into something incredibly powerful

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

i’m not a pokemon expert but isn’t the point of that thing is something so stupid and useless turns into something incredibly powerful

Yes, and it's also a reference to a Japanese myth about a carp becoming a dragon.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yes I get it, but I also like Buff Magikarp

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

i dunno, the fact that you called them back and then they were like "well actually your car has several more problems than we first told you" is kinda weird

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

i dunno, the fact that you called them back and then they were like "well actually your car has several more problems than we first told you" is kinda weird

No, you misunderstood. That's what they originally told me and in the time it took me to drive back and whine online, I had forgotten the details of everything I had been told outside of the word "manifold". The stuff he told me when I called was the same stuff I had been told earlier (or at least I think it is :oh dear:)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Looper posted:

Everything they listed is part of the exhaust system, iirc.

If I can trust my vague remembrances of things my dad has told me over the years, i'm guessing the catalytic converter is the most expensive thing being replaced.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

When you go to a mechanic, take notes and photos. Consult with someone you know who's more knowledgeable about cars whether it's an essential repair and if the estimate is reasonable

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

This reminds me that I need to get my airbags replaced due to a recall.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Macaluso posted:

Yes I get it, but I also like Buff Magikarp

ehh. it looks like a boss from a darius game

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You should get the bad magikarp if your affection stat is low and gyarados if your magikarp loves you

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

this was supposed to be a negative, here?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The White Dragon posted:

I mean that's pretty much true for all actual fish.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

No, you misunderstood. That's what they originally told me and in the time it took me to drive back and whine online, I had forgotten the details of everything I had been told outside of the word "manifold". The stuff he told me when I called was the same stuff I had been told earlier (or at least I think it is :oh dear:)

oooh okay that is a little less worrying

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Looks exactly like Magikarp but has angry eyes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afzD0cZGO70

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

chumbler posted:

This reminds me that I need to get my airbags replaced due to a recall.

ah same. actually they don't have the parts available i guess so they're going to pay up to $30/day for me to get a rental

• Locked thread