Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Henchman of Santa posted:

I’m rewatching Friday Night Lights. The first season includes a dark-skinned Katrina refugee as a straight up villain with zero sympathetic traits and the Latino linebacker is a violent criminal. I don’t think that would fly as easily today.

The cheerleader is also the least convincing Texan ever. She's not even trying to sound remotely like she's from Dillon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Friday Night Lights was a book based on the true story of the rich white kids tragically failing to defeat the scrappy minority underdog team. All of the people from the white school didn't notice that they were straight up 80s movie villians even while they were trying to get the black team disqualified on a technicality.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
what was the technicality? did the minority team actually violate it?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ein cooler Typ posted:

what was the technicality?

Being black.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bobjr posted:

If I remember right TommyKnockers is another one King has no recollection of writing at all.

You don't. Tommyknockers is the book he wrote about his coke period. It being about people who become miraculously creative but come round with bleeding noses and no idea what they did.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Danse Macabre, the nonfiction book King wrote about his thoughts on the horror genre in the early 80s is a good read full of autobiography. It also makes a big chunk of his later career laughable because of how much he basically lays out a gameplan of what ideas he would eventually shamelessly copy. For example, Rose Red is actively King rewriting Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House--in DM he heavily dissects the novel and the excellent 1963 film.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

business hammocks posted:

The only version that’s been available since like 1990 is the uncut one. I’d love to read the original one day to see the 70s pop culture references.

Did he update the references in the new version? I have a 1st edition at home and I've listened to the uncut version audiobook and I didn't think they updated any of the existing stuff - just added a poo poo-ton of new material that largely made the book better (never a guarantee). But it all kind of melts in my brain so I can't remember if they removed any of those groovy 70's parts.

Jedit posted:

It was pretty obvious how the heroes brought about Flagg's downfall if you'd watched or read the rest of it. In fact, it's literally the title of the story. They are instructed by Mother Abigail, speaking for God, to travel without food to Las Vegas and to stand against Flagg without weapons. When they do, God rewards them for this act of absolute faith by destroying Flagg. You might call that a dick move on God's part because he could have done it anyway, but when you're talking about Us vs Them you want to be sure that the people you're helping are Us and not Them.

A later book shows the Earth in the Stand as just one of many different dimensions or realms so it makes perfect sense that if you want divine help you gotta get God's attention, similar to getting the bartender to look at you on a Saturday night. The end of the Stand was God going, "oh...I'm sorry. I didn't see you over there."

And then King snorted another line.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I've only listened to the uncut audiobook, but there were all sorts of little pop culture things like tv shows and car models that were definite updates. Which made it funnier for how much the music stuff is definitely untouched, feeling extremely anachronistic for it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Choco1980 posted:

Danse Macabre, the nonfiction book King wrote about his thoughts on the horror genre in the early 80s is a good read full of autobiography. It also makes a big chunk of his later career laughable because of how much he basically lays out a gameplan of what ideas he would eventually shamelessly copy. For example, Rose Red is actively King rewriting Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House--in DM he heavily dissects the novel and the excellent 1963 film.

King has never said anything other than he's a pulp author who writes the kind of story he wants to read, though.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

There's a difference between writing the story you want to read and writing the story you've already read.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I have the 70’s edition of The Stand in my storage unit but I haven’t gotten to read it yet. I’ll have to find it and dust it off.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I really love Stephen King despite his flaws. Liseys Story is extremely my poo poo. It's my dream to adapt it. That said, he also curbed ideas from lots of Twilight Zone episodes.

I've been watching TZ and it aged really well. Rod Sterling is a TV Hero of mine. He was called Hollywood's angry young man. He was super liberal and despite being a veteran he let his antiwar and antiracism views color a lot of the episodes.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Choco1980 posted:

There's a difference between writing the story you want to read and writing the story you've already read.

and writing the story you've already read but you've forgotten about it because that part of your brain doesn't exist anymore.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I read an early 80's edition of the Stand I got from a thrift store in the 90's. I really didn't notice anything, but I also wouldn't know what a Studebaker was other than a jokey car name. I have never read a complete and uncut edition, but I remember there was like a whole chapter about one of the women admiring her own titties.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I read an early 80's edition of the Stand I got from a thrift store in the 90's. I really didn't notice anything, but I also wouldn't know what a Studebaker was other than a jokey car name. I have never read a complete and uncut edition, but I remember there was like a whole chapter about one of the women admiring her own titties.

So King is really realistic because we all know women spend an inordinate amount of time admiring their own titties.

I have no idea if The Stand would need a lot of updating to make it more modern or relevant. Obviously Captain Trips would be more difficult to hide with Facebook, but once the government got involved and started shutting the press down it'd be remarkably easy to withhold info.

It was cool how the movie It opened up King to a whole new generation which was then profoundly turned off to King by The Dark Tower.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

So King is really realistic because we all know women spend an inordinate amount of time admiring their own titties.

I have no idea if The Stand would need a lot of updating to make it more modern or relevant. Obviously Captain Trips would be more difficult to hide with Facebook, but once the government got involved and started shutting the press down it'd be remarkably easy to withhold info.

It was cool how the movie It opened up King to a whole new generation which was then profoundly turned off to King by The Dark Tower.

God, It. It’s a really good book that I’ll never read again because it’s so long. And it feels long in a way The Stand doesn’t.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

Rumors of Captain Tripps are fake news. Flagg would definitely gain lots of followers using Facebook/Youtube/etc.

Really though, why not just go and set a high budget remake of The Stand as a period piece in the original time period of the early 80's?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Koalas March posted:

I've been watching TZ and it aged really well. Rod Sterling is a TV Hero of mine. He was called Hollywood's angry young man. He was super liberal and despite being a veteran he let his antiwar and antiracism views color a lot of the episodes.

TZ has agers great. So have Alfred Hitchcock Presents and Night Gallery come to think of it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I've been getting into The Outer Limits, too. It seems like it positioned itself as a bleaker, more extreme Twilight Zone, but it holds up very well. All those shows were basically just a different stage play every week and showcase a lot of strong writing and acting from a time before the people making television worked their whole lives in television.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

I've been getting into The Outer Limits, too. It seems like it positioned itself as a bleaker, more extreme Twilight Zone, but it holds up very well. All those shows were basically just a different stage play every week and showcase a lot of strong writing and acting from a time before the people making television worked their whole lives in television.
Quality of Mercy and the Light Brigade were excellent. Quality of Mercy was only mediocre on its own, but it becomes great when paired with its sequel episode.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Rumors of Captain Tripps are fake news. Flagg would definitely gain lots of followers using Facebook/Youtube/etc.

Really though, why not just go and set a high budget remake of The Stand as a period piece in the original time period of the early 80's?

I think we're going to see a lot of period pieces of books where everything would otherwise be solved with cell phones. Like, "LOL why didn't just snapchat Pennywise? SMH"

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Jul 25, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With Steven King's books I liked Rose Madder, despite the lazy way of characterising the husband as an rear end in a top hat by having him drop constant racial slurs. I liked the way is alternated between the wife fleeing her abusive husband and her husband's point of view tracking down his wife, it was a clever way to build the tension - especially when they end up in the same room at the same time, and the husband doesn't notice because she's dyed her hair, lost a lot of weight and is carrying herself with way more confidence by that point so he just doesn't recognise her.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

roomforthetuna posted:

Quality of Mercy and the Light Brigade were excellent. Quality of Mercy was only mediocre on its own, but it becomes great when paired with its sequel episode.

I was thinking of the 60s one, but the 90s one is extremely solid. I have many childhood memories of having my mind blown and also of wondering how they would shoehorn naked boobs (but only boobs) into any particular episode.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Is Outer Limits on Hulu or Netflix or Amazon or anything?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Koalas March posted:

Hulu's got both the original and the 1995 revival.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Koalas March posted:

It’s on Hulu, but I watched it on the weird great digital substation Comet, which airs it on the weekends (or used to—it looks like they air it late on Sunday night now). Comet has a streaming app if you don’t get it over the air. It’s basically a bottomless archive of weird-rear end horror and sci-fi movies from 1960-2000, heavy on AIP and anything that ended up in MGM’s archive

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm pretty jealous of all the over the air TV my parents get in Dallas proper, I don't get that kind of stuff in the burbs.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

It’s on Hulu, but I watched it on the weird great digital substation Comet, which airs it on the weekends (or used to—it looks like they air it late on Sunday night now). Comet has a streaming app if you don’t get it over the air. It’s basically a bottomless archive of weird-rear end horror and sci-fi movies from 1960-2000, heavy on AIP and anything that ended up in MGM’s archive

Comet is pretty great, in the last year, the ones I remember making a point of watching have been Mac and Me, Troll 2, and Contamination Point 7 (AKA The Crawlers (AKA Troll 3))

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm pretty jealous of all the over the air TV my parents get in Dallas proper, I don't get that kind of stuff in the burbs.

You just need to learn how to antenna yo.

Here's the babby starter site:
https://www.antennaweb.org

And here's the site that gives you tons of info:
https://www.tvfool.org

Also use the "Winegard - TV Signal Finder" app for android or apple to point the thing. I used a compass for a long time, but the AR feature makes it easy AF

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Iron Crowned posted:

Comet is pretty great, in the last year, the ones I remember making a point of watching have been Mac and Me, Troll 2, and Contamination Point 7 (AKA The Crawlers (AKA Troll 3))

I bought one of those OTA converter boxes with the option of connecting an external HD for recording and I think about 90% of the stuff I have on it is recorded from Comet.

But Comet does both old and NEW Outer Limits, and there's just a vague blurry blahness to the new series that aged it about 10 times quicker than the original. They also did a bunch of connected episodes and attempts to make unrelated episodes connected via a clipshow.

Watching some Stargate reruns and it just struck me that they should have made-for-TV Ghostbusters series with the actor who played Rodney as Venkman back in the 90s.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A late-90s Vancouver-done syndicated Ghostbusters show with that guy would have been perfect. He shows up a lot in Canadian film and tv of that era.

If we’re doing a dream cast for an Alliance Atlantis Ghostbusters show, the Chief from the 2004 Battlestar Galactica should be Ray and Roger Cross from Continuum and First Wave should be Winston.

It would be drearier and more dour than the movie, for both location and budget reasons.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

90s-00s outer limits holds up a lot better than you'd expect. Even the "bad" episodes are usually goofy an/or trashy.

How did the attempts to reboot Twilight Zone go? I remember liking the late 80s one, and never saw the 00s one.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Koalas March posted:

I've been watching TZ and it aged really well. Rod Serling is a TV Hero of mine. He was called Hollywood's angry young man. He was super liberal and despite being a veteran he let his antiwar and antiracism views color a lot of the episodes.

Death's Head Revisited, where the former commandant of Dachau goes back to the camp and is judged by all the people he killed is amazing and one of the best episodes of TZ. Also holy poo poo that was made less than 20 years after WWII, it's like the opposite of aging poorly

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The one where Dennis Hopper is a white supremacist really gets at the psychology of people like that. It’s extremely relevant for today’s resurgent fascism, although it also gets mad points for understanding that fascism will never go away and must be met with vigorous opposition from the first appearance.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Choco1980 posted:

90s-00s outer limits holds up a lot better than you'd expect. Even the "bad" episodes are usually goofy an/or trashy.

How did the attempts to reboot Twilight Zone go? I remember liking the late 80s one, and never saw the 00s one.

That reminded me, SyFy runs a Twilight Zone marathon on New Year's, and it's very much my jam.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Leavemywife posted:

That reminded me, SyFy runs a Twilight Zone marathon on New Year's, and it's very much my jam.

Same. Miss the FX X-Files Thanksgiving day marathon more with each passing year.

Sure, I can stream either series in its entirety whenever I want, but it isn’t the same as watching on TV during the holiday because that’s what’s on.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

burial posted:

Same. Miss the FX X-Files Thanksgiving day marathon more with each passing year.

Sure, I can stream either series in its entirety whenever I want, but it isn’t the same as watching on TV during the holiday because that’s what’s on.

My siblings and I loved 7 days of 007

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Can a whole channel age poorly?

Bravo in the 90s was great and now I don't even know what they are.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

JediTalentAgent posted:

Can a whole channel age poorly?

Bravo in the 90s was great and now I don't even know what they are.

Andy Cohen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

tactlessbastard posted:

My siblings and I loved 7 days of 007

Oh man, that was the best. What channel was it even on?