Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think the issue is less people being worried James Gunn's career is over/he's going to be hosed now and more it seeming a little crazy how quickly they fired him over old tweets he's owned up to, yet say when Johnny Depp was going through his divorce and all the allegations of him abusing Amber Heard came out they gave zero fucks. It's the picking and choosing which controversies they think might actually effect their bottom line rather than firing someone because they actually disagree with something they said or did.

Granted Depp is a way more important person to Disney than Gunn is. Depp is the main draw of the PotC franchise and Gunn is just a dude behind a camera, unfortunately. They can afford to drop Gunn. If they drop Depp there's no reason to poo poo out a bad Pirates movie every few years.

It's real gross and bad but whatever. I get why Disney fired Gunn even if I don't agree with it, the whole thing was gaining enough traction to be bad PR and he is 100% replaceable compared to, say, if it was one of the main Marvel actors.

My issue isn't with him being fired so much as it is with the message his firing sends, that lol what's the loving point of changing to be a better person if some tweets from 10 years ago will still get you canned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

And yet Johnny Depp, John Lassiter, etc.

Keep in mind, these men actually did bad actions, not just wrote down bad words.

People keep making these kind of points as if anyone disagrees that Disney is poo poo. Don't hold your breath for them to all of the sudden start enforcing this stuff with consistency and fairness, it's not gonna happen.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Basebf555 posted:

People keep making these kind of points as if anyone disagrees that Disney is poo poo. Don't hold your breath for them to all of the sudden start enforcing this stuff with consistency and fairness, it's not gonna happen.

100%

e: plus I still :tinfoil: a bit that maybe they wanted an excuse to get rid of him and bring in someone who will just do whatever execs say now that Guardians has fully crossed over into the other Marvel stuff. i could see him having way less leeway on what he was allowed to do with the franchise after Infinity War

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
its so weird 2 me seeing ppl expecting Disney to be some sort of moral arbiter.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think it's going to be fairly interesting when Guardians 3 comes out and everyone is like "These aren't the guardians."

They asked Gunn to help write the Guardians scenes in Infinity War by the way. They didn't ask Cargil or Derrickson to write the Doctor Strange parts. Or the thousands of writers who did Homecoming to write the Spider-Man parts. They asked Gunn because they knew how without him, there is no Guardians.

So good luck Disney.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of the outrage, not expecting Disney to suddenly act positively.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

WampaLord posted:

I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of the outrage, not expecting Disney to suddenly act positively.

hypocrisy of who's outrage?

e: whoms?

e2: whomst??

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

Nazis are hypocrites, not really anything new about that. But Nazis have kids too and go to the movies and buy products, so Disney feels they have to worry about if they are going to pretend to be offended.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hat Thoughts posted:

hypocrisy of who's outrage?

e: whoms?

e2: whomst??

The hypothetical audience who is outraged at this man for making bad jokes but doesn't care about actual criminals

E: VVV You're very bad at reading posts and the context in which they're meant, I was replying to someone

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 25, 2018

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
well i think ur time is better spent than pointing out the potential hypocrisy of a hypothetical audience you've constructed

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

WampaLord posted:

The hypothetical audience who is outraged at this man for making bad jokes but doesn't care about actual criminals

E: VVV You're very bad at reading posts and the context in which they're meant, I was replying to someone

Hmm unbelievably cowardly 2 edit in a reply instead of posting - especially one that doesn't actually provide a response but not exactly shocking that the guy w/ the epic anti-semetic irony avatar would be v up in arms on this issue.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hat Thoughts posted:

Hmm unbelievably cowardly 2 edit in a reply instead of posting - especially one that doesn't actually provide a response but not exactly shocking that the guy w/ the epic anti-semetic irony avatar would be v up in arms on this issue.

This av was bought for me by some Nazi, I'm Jewish.

I'm just upset about the Gunn firing and trying to make sense of all this and you're going out of your way to read all of my posts in the most hostile light possible because of my av, loving christ.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
The worst thing about the James Gunn firing is that Mike "GORILLA MINDSET" Cernovich is literally a household name now.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Hat Thoughts posted:

It's so weird that people don't seem to understand that firing some people for some things and not firing other people for other, similar things is literally moral arbitration.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

WampaLord posted:

This av was bought for me by some Nazi, I'm Jewish.

I'm just upset about the Gunn firing and trying to make sense of all this and you're going out of your way to read all of my posts in the most hostile light possible because of my av, loving christ.

i apologize but i still don't think there's any real reason to overthink this. Disney fired James Gunn because he made tweets that were controversial enough 2 get a lot of negative press & unlike people like Johnny Depp, John Lasseter, etc. they view him as totally replaceable (like all their directors) so the perceived effect 2 their bottom line of replacing him is only positive (even moreso because it prevents him from being directly associated w/ the brand in a way that gives him any sort of bargaining power like the actors have)

Plastik posted:

It's so weird that people don't seem to understand that firing some people for some things and not firing other people for other, similar things is literally moral arbitration.

companies r not moral actors

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hat Thoughts posted:

companies r not moral actors

Nobody is saying they are tho, just lamenting the fact that companies are trash.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Well, there's hope for Gunn now.

AMC Fully Reinstates Chris Hardwick as 'Talking Dead' Host

quote:

Following a comprehensive assessment by AMC, working with Ivy Kagan Bierman of the firm Loeb & Loeb, who has considerable experience in this area, Chris Hardwick will return to AMC as the host of Talking Dead and Talking with Chris Hardwick," AMC Networks said in a statement. "We take these matters very seriously and given the information available to us after a very careful review, including interviews with numerous individuals, we believe returning Chris to work is the appropriate step.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Slutitution posted:

I still can't believe Disney caved to a twitter troll known for coining the term ~*GORILLA MINDSET*~ seriously, wtf?

I thought for years that Cernovitch's catchphrase was "guerilla mindset" which was like, okay, as a self-help thing I guess that makes sense, but lol it's even dumber than I realized

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

esperterra posted:

Nobody is saying they are tho, just lamenting the fact that companies are trash.

ya maybe i'm being unclear but it just seems crazy 2 me to think that at any point these are moral choices by Disney that can be challenged for their hypocrisy

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Their lovely choices can be challenged though. They just almost definitely can't be changed lmfao

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Plastik posted:

It's literally the opposite. They ignore morality and simply act on what is best for the PR of the company, and therefore the ultimate bottom line. Morality doesn't enter into the thought process.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

esperterra posted:

Their lovely choices can be challenged though. They just almost definitely can't be changed lmfao

Yeah but what's the end goal here - u know? Should Disney hire back James Gunn if they don't fire Johnny Depp? If they do fire Johnny Depp does that mean they're no longer hypocritical & don't need to hire James Gunn back? You can argue an ethical standard on this stuff all u want but they're never going to act in a morally consistent way because that will never ever be the way decisions are made or something they care about.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
hell ya this avatar whips

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hat Thoughts posted:

Yeah but what's the end goal here - u know? Should Disney hire back James Gunn if they don't fire Johnny Depp? If they do fire Johnny Depp does that mean they're no longer hypocritical & don't need to hire James Gunn back? You can argue an ethical standard on this stuff all u want but they're never going to act in a morally consistent way because that will never ever be the way decisions are made or something they care about.

Fire everyone and make movies with computers

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Fire everyone and make movies with computers

now we're talkin

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hat Thoughts posted:

I heard the MSN Messenger noise in my head as soon as I saw that image. Cursed.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

LesterGroans posted:

I heard the MSN Messenger noise in my head as soon as I saw that image. Cursed.

i wish they'd used the magic wand tool 2 remove the white from the background but otherwise i love it

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Hat Thoughts posted:

They didn't even make the text red, what a slackass---or is it meta??

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

I'll go further and say it's demented.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

In an alternate universe Disney sued Mike Cernovich to oblivion and now he lives in a sewer, Gunn was given 4 more movies, Climate change was stopped and we all live in happiness and peace.

:smith:

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Nazis are hypocrites, not really anything new about that. But Nazis have kids too and go to the movies and buy products, so Disney feels they have to worry about if they are going to pretend to be offended.

Lol, none of the Nazis backing Cernovich care about the children in this controversy, even if they have children. None of those people leading the campaign to get Gunn fired are going to think "Wow, they fired the pedo jokes guy, maybe Disney is some of the good ones." They're not going to back off of attacking Disney after this, they're going to double down on attacking Disney, because the whole goal is to see "libtard" Hollywood burn.

Their next target is apparently Rian Johnson, hated for supposedly "SJW-ing up" Star Wars, who deleted a bunch of tweets in the last week, which according to the Pizzagate people is clear evidence of wrongdoing. No, nothing is going to result from that, but the Pizzagaters are going to keep trying their absolute damndest to smear and dig up whatever dirt they can to try and get more Hollywood liberals fired.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Sucrose posted:

Lol, none of the Nazis backing Cernovich care about the children in this controversy, even if they have children. None of those people leading the campaign to get Gunn fired are going to think "Wow, they fired the pedo jokes guy, maybe Disney is some of the good ones." They're not going to back off of attacking Disney after this, they're going to double down on attacking Disney, because the whole goal is to see "libtard" Hollywood burn.

Their next target is apparently Rian Johnson, hated for supposedly "SJW-ing up" Star Wars, who deleted a bunch of tweets in the last week, which according to the Pizzagate people is clear evidence of wrongdoing. No, nothing is going to result from that, but the Pizzagaters are going to keep trying their absolute damndest to smear and dig up whatever dirt they can to try and get more Hollywood liberals fired.

If this gets people to stop using twitter it's a net gain.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rian Johnson is a super nice dude and everyone who hates him sucks.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Hat Thoughts posted:

start by not kowtowing to social media campaigns led by literal nazis.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Sucrose posted:

do they say what those deleted tweets said? like, Gunn's tweets were deleted but they were still able to post them because they looked bad, are they gonna switch to "well they're deleted now so they could have said anything we'll never know so we should assume they're filled with oblique references to child molestation" after being able to find the contents of deleted tweets when it benefitted them?

i mean, assuming that these people are gonna act in good faith is silly in the first place

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

You can definitely go look up Johnson's tweets on the Wayback Machine. Last I checked the people digging through them didn't find anything particularly scandalous, which makes him deleting them even weirder lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not really. He's seems to be one of the more hated people in pop entertainment, constantly being harassed by angry star wars fans, AND he works for disney. He probably just purged it to be safe. I think him and Gunn might be friends IRL? All these people tend to hang out with each other so who knows.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

esperterra posted:

You can definitely go look up Johnson's tweets on the Wayback Machine. Last I checked the people digging through them didn't find anything particularly scandalous, which makes him deleting them even weirder lol

Everyone should do it just to waste nazis' time.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Sucrose posted:

They're not going to back off of attacking Disney after this, they're going to double down on attacking Disney, because the whole goal is to see "libtard" Hollywood burn.

In addition to this, they're going to double down because they've found a vulnerability. Disney is particularly weak to these sorts of claims, or they wouldn't have folded so quick (they fired Gunn within hours).

The more I think about this the more I feel like the most important takeaway here is that Disney popularized and empowered a Nazi in the American media. How many outlets are going to report on his attack on Rian Johnson when it inevitably comes, no matter how nonsensical? I feel like everything from the response, to the timing, to the silence since has been a mistake on their part.

Like I know a lot of people seem to only care because of his movies but empowering Nazis, man. That doesn't go good places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Yeah, I think one thing that Disney has overlooked here is that even if there are no more firings (unless someone else has some serious skeletons in their closet) their actions have opened up their talent to harassment campaigns by alt-right trolls trying to smear and dig up dirt to see if they're able to damage another enemy's career by faking enough outrage on social media about something they've supposedly said or done.

• Locked thread