Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Invalid Validation posted:

Because the lizard brains that actually look at those terrible pictures only care about affirming their beliefs and not about actual content. That’s why most of them aren’t factual but they seem just plausible enough to be true and gently caress googling.

Yeah, my dad will repost anything that reaffirms his bootstraps mentality like that "Bill Gate's rules for success" without ever checking for attribution.

It's endlessly frustrating to have the generation who raised me to never trust anything from the internet blindly trust literally anything from the internet which aligns with their lovely worldview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
As the election season meme went:

Your parents in 1996: Don't trust ANYONE on the Internet.
Your parents in 2016: Freedom Eagle dot Facebook says Hillary invented AIDS.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Basically Every Millennial Ever posted:

It's endlessly frustrating to have the generation who raised me to never trust anything from the internet blindly trust literally anything from the internet which aligns with their lovely worldview.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Guavanaut posted:

As the election season meme went:

Your parents in 1996: Don't trust ANYONE on the Internet.
Your parents in 2016: Freedom Eagle dot Facebook says Hillary invented AIDS.

I am so glad that my parents are dead/missing because my mom would have believed everything she read on the internet.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Mornacale posted:

A bunch of chucklefucks committed so much fraud it destroyed the entire world's economy, and our response was to give them billions of no-strings dollars. Once everyone from Goldman Sachs is in jail, talk to me about deterring welfare fraud.

This sort of approach seems to work for me, or at least it shuts people up and stops them going on about it.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

I am so glad that my parents are dead/missing because my mom would have believed everything she read on the internet.

Wait what?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Uber

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Uber stole his parents.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Weatherman posted:

Wait what?

One of each? Dad walked out, Mom passed on?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Weatherman posted:

Wait what?

He obviously fired one and Idaknow what happened to the other. Duh.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

darthbob88 posted:

One of each? Dad walked out, Mom passed on?

Yeah nah I figured that much out. Should have bolded "I'm glad that" as well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Your parents can be arseholes.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

Dad butt, so what?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah seriously. Plus without them I can cut off all the toxic aunt/uncles and cousins like diseased limbs because there's no one putting effort into maintaining caustic relationships for the sake of blood.
I got two blood relatives I keep contact with because I actually genuinely like them and the rest I haven't had any contact with in years.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
This is an interesting new format where the OP asks a question that actually has some debate among the EPROWs rather than just a straight talking point repeat or two minutes' hate

many people posted in favor of marijuana, but those posts aren't funny

:psyduck: you're a smoker complaining about the smell of marijuana

:words:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
You have to really be on one to type "it's no different from alcohol" at the top of your explanation for why something shouldn't be legal.

e: Also, there are certainly stories of people bragging about abusing the welfare system that are true. One of the most insidious things about the welfare queen myth is that it's self-fulfilling: some of the people who get convinced you can live the good life via welfare are going to actually try it.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 26, 2018

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sorry, my eyes glazed over. All I saw was "legalize THC the high drug!" :yeah:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I mean, I'd actually agree that the smell of pot smoke can be a bit annoying, but goddamn it's so much less gross than cigarette smoke it's not even funny.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Do they also not realizing that "no smoking" is still applicable regardless of what you're smoking? You're not going to suddenly have in influx of weed smokers in your no smoking apartment, lady.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If we're going to start outlawing things based on their smell, can we start with those loving pear trees? They don't even have the courtesy of getting anyone high to compensate for it.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Perestroika posted:

I mean, I'd actually agree that the smell of pot smoke can be a bit annoying, but goddamn it's so much less gross than cigarette smoke it's not even funny.

I like the smell of fresh cigarette smoke. Pot, not so much. Stale cigarette smoke is disgusting.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'll let you in on a secret: people who think welfare fraud is rampant are secretly against all welfare.

"Welfare Fraud" is almost 100% 'THOSE PEOPLE getting muh welfare tax dollahs'

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ashcans posted:

If we're going to start outlawing things based on their smell, can we start with those loving pear trees? They don't even have the courtesy of getting anyone high to compensate for it.

Bradford pears.

They’re also a lovely tree that tends to break easily and is an invasive species that is cross breeding with Chinese pears and loving up all sorts of habitats. Cheap subdivision developments plant them because they’re cheap and hardy but they’re garbage trees and should all be chopped down

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BarbarianElephant posted:

I like the smell of fresh cigarette smoke. Pot, not so much. Stale cigarette smoke is disgusting.

I always associate cigarette smoke with my gran who I generally have positive memories of so I guess I have some kind of pavlovian response to it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
That lady’s not wrong that stale pot smoke is rancid, but that’s a terrible reason not to legalise it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the odd occasion someone has pointed out pot smoke to me it just makes me hungry.

Then again so does pig poo poo, so my olfactory system might be slightly defective.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

OwlFancier posted:

I always associate cigarette smoke with my gran who I generally have positive memories of so I guess I have some kind of pavlovian response to it.

I relate to this. My grandma smoked a pack a day of camel lights, and the smell just flashes me straight back to her living room

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

OwlFancier posted:

On the odd occasion someone has pointed out pot smoke to me it just makes me hungry.

Then again so does pig poo poo, so my olfactory system might be slightly defective.

Fecal is a component in a lot of perfume smells. So you aren't alone, just maybe like it more then most?

Still gross. You gross

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I sometimes wonder about comparative smelling ability. We test our children for vision and hearing in elementary school, but that's mainly so that we can give them corrective lenses / hearing aids if they need it. Even if we tested smelling ability, it's not like we have a way to correct it...

For example, there's a chemical we use in our lab that is infamous for its foul smell, commonly described as a very pungent, foot-odor smell. Anytime anyone in the lab uncorks it, the entire lab will moan and groan about it. ...and I can barely smell it. I have to get my face right up in the bottle to get any whiff of it, and then it's just a mild stink.

Now I'm wondering if there's people hyper-sensitive to the smell of pot smoke, or if they're just cranks.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Condor pipe tobacco and Brut aftershave are the triggers for my dead father.
Even buy Brut now and again for the memories.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bombadilillo posted:

Fecal is a component in a lot of perfume smells. So you aren't alone, just maybe like it more then most?

Still gross. You gross

I think it's because I always associate it with being younger and driving through the fields to go somewhere for dinner on sundays. I've lived near farms enough of my life to not find the smell offputting at least.

But yeah pig poo poo = dinnertime is not the best response in the world.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Pot smell isn't too hard to get rid of and it's basically only from smoking. If you vape it, or toast it, or eat it. It's barely noticeable in my experience.

What I'm saying is we should make everyone eat pot instead and same with tobacco. gently caress a smell.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Cerepol posted:

Pot smell isn't too hard to get rid of and it's basically only from smoking. If you vape it, or toast it, or eat it. It's barely noticeable in my experience.

What I'm saying is we should make everyone eat pot instead and same with tobacco. gently caress a smell.

I had these cartridges in Seattle that were like 90% THC and didn't smell like weed at all

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Cerepol posted:

I support this wholeheartedly. I don't drink or smoke or do drugs, but I don't care if other people do as long as it doesn't involve me. Smoke in my nostrils involves me, regardless of the source.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Cerepol posted:

Unless it's like the time my housemates in college forgot that they had the pot-butter solution on the stove and it got burnt :barf:

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 3, 2018

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

Unless it's like the time my housemates in college forgot that hat the pot-butter solution on the stove and it got burnt :barf:

Oof that's a nasty smell. Pot butter is rank; burnt pot butter must be nauseating

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Stale pot smoke smells like stale, dried out dog poo poo - not exactly revolting/repulsive or especially strong, but very distinct and hard not to notice/fixate on once you know its there. Pot butter just smells like the Platonic Ideal of a Middle School Boy's Locker Room baking in the sun.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Dameius posted:

Pot butter just smells like the Platonic Ideal of a Middle School Boy's Locker Room baking in the sun.

Even with the word platonic there that sentence is still creepy as gently caress man

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Was just trying to evoke a very negative, strong smell that you can't escape from and that seemed like it would convey the idea for anyone that had to experience it while going through school. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think it's creepy if you take "Platonic" as meaning something like "Platonic love."