Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

is the second planet you find typically a lush one? I've seen a few people post that they've encountered what I have (a ringed paradise planet). Is that true of all the tutorial solar systems? I am excited to get out into the galaxy and start truly exploring!

Nope.

1st planet: Hellworld (hot, firestorms)
2nd planet: Empty wasteland (no atmosphere, plants releasing toxic gas underground)
3rd planet: Toxic slime planet (mushrooms, poison rain, toxic mud, disturbingly green)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

panda clue posted:

I'm having a lot of fun and will probably get way more than $30's worth of this game, but I'm in 100% agreement that the controls seem to have absolutely no thought put into them whatsoever. The 'quick menu' absolutely does not live up to its name in any way.

It's "quick" compared to launch, where there was no popup menu at all and you had to do everything by popping open the full inventory UI and mousing over things.

I'm not sure if this is new in Next but I've noticed that the quick menu tries to be smart by auto-selecting the tool you're using at the moment, the suit module with the lowest charge, etc.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Calaveron posted:

Kinda wish I could get the base building tutorial

These started up once I built a base computer from the equipment menu thing. It was all, here's the stuff to build structures, do that and make these work stations, hire these guys, etc.

Calaveron posted:

So if I build a teleporter on a base and then jump to a different system can I go back and forth between said base and space station in different systems?

Yeah, I built a teleporter, had to go to the next system over for a thing, and I could teleport from that station back to my base and even back to the previous station.

So far I've only found one planet, the one I built the base on, that wasn't some form of radioactive, too cold, toxic, etc such that I'd die to exposure after 6 minutes of walking around. Wouldn't have been so annoying if I hadn't lost all my environment upgrades. The Gek, Polo, on the Anomaly station at least has been giving me life support upgrades for doing poo poo I usually do anyway, not sure if he'll change it up or not, probably gonna start asking for multi-tool upgrades instead.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Uh, sure thing, Bird.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I never finished the Atlas path stuff from the game's original launch, is that still in as the main quest or whatever? I am gonna start over and kind of want to see what a dull experience I missed out on

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Capntastic posted:

I never finished the Atlas path stuff from the game's original launch, is that still in as the main quest or whatever? I am gonna start over and kind of want to see what a dull experience I missed out on

They completely rewrote the main quest and introduced a new uh, stranger questline in the last update. It's a lot more strong/Sci Fi now they just then base "get to the center, life is crazy ain't it.".

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

explosivo posted:

Yes. This. The q/e a/d thing drives me insane. Mousewheel not working in SOME menus where you have to hit w/s to scroll up and down is obnoxious too. Clearly designed for a controller and mashed into KB+M to make it mostly work.

On a controller it's a strange mishmash too. The cursor is driven by you pushing the joystick around rather than, you know, jumping between selections with a button press. Sometimes you change pages with the D-Pad, other times it's the shoulder buttons, other times you have to moooooove the cursor over to a target and hit a button.

I just think they are not good at UI/UX.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

SoR Blaze posted:

On PS4, is it possible to map roll to the x axis of the left stick instead of yaw? It seems so strange to me that it bucks the trend of literally every other flightsim in this way.

I don't think there is yaw control? On Xbox the left stick is pitch, right and left bumper (L1+R1 PS4) is roll. Right stick just controls the camera, slightly.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dishwasher posted:

Have they improved space combat?

Nope, it's the same terrible garbage as before.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

is everyone whose complaining about controls using M/K? Because I'm using an old xbox 360 controller on my PC and controls seem just fine to me. Like the Arkham or Souls games I'd recommend a gamepad for this. Even if K/B was really good and intuitive I think the controller still feels better. Plus vibration when you shoot rocks is neat to me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Beastie posted:

I don't think there is yaw control? On Xbox the left stick is pitch, right and left bumper (L1+R1 PS4) is roll. Right stick just controls the camera, slightly.

I could be wrong but I *think* moving the mouse left and right acts as a yaw when playing KB+M. A+D roll left and right.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I usually am good with Keyboard and Mouse on space games but I broke down and plugged in a Xbone controller. It's far better suited for gameplay.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Beastie posted:

Yeah, left and right on the PS4 controller yaws left and right, while roll is mapped to the shoulder buttons. I'd rather it was the other way around, where the left stick handles pitch and roll, with yaw mapped to the shoulder buttons, but I didn't see anything in the options to do that.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

SoR Blaze posted:

Yeah, left and right on the PS4 controller yaws left and right, while roll is mapped to the shoulder buttons. I'd rather it was the other way around, where the left stick handles pitch and roll, with yaw mapped to the shoulder buttons, but I didn't see anything in the options to do that.

No poo poo, I never even noticed yaw at all.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
is there a way to get ironsights or anything on these guns? trying to clear out these biohorrors is a fuckin pain

also i thought they added in other weapon types? all i can find is the boltcaster tho

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

sw0cb posted:

PSA: if you get the bug with the base computer quest where it puts the marker on your freighter, just ignore it. Keep doing the Artemis quests and you shortly unlock most of the normal base building stuff as well as getting staff.

Thank you this saved me a lot of trouble.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

is there a way to get ironsights or anything on these guns? trying to clear out these biohorrors is a fuckin pain

also i thought they added in other weapon types? all i can find is the boltcaster tho

There's a shotgun type that I never bothered with, and a railgun type that I found to be great when it worked correctly. Unfortunately, it seemed to just completely miss anything that the game didn't register as being in combat with me. I'm guessing that this has something to do with the aim assist, but several times I pointed the thing directly at a stationary sentinel or animal, fired, and missed. I thought that recoil may have been the culprit, so I tried lowering my aim at different degrees but that didn't seem to help. This was all pre-NEXT though, so maybe it's better now.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
also, i figured out what putting multiple refineries next to each other does: it dupes the output of the working refinery. so uh, you know, if you care about that sort of thing, go crazy.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I want to find features this large

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1022219851899850754

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

also, i figured out what putting multiple refineries next to each other does: it dupes the output of the working refinery. so uh, you know, if you care about that sort of thing, go crazy.

You mean like your getting twice the output for the same materials?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
yeah, it's weird. i put two refineries next to each each other because it's just a Minecraft thing i did, but then i found the second one was duplicating the output of the first. if you pick it up and put it back down it'll even re-duplicate sometimes.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

I haven't been to the mountain yet but considering the distance it's pretty tall, I'll check out the peak before I build my hyperdrive

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

There seem to a lot of tall mountains on cactus worlds so far in my experience.

Also, I bought a starship with an Indium Hyperdrive, does anyone what that is? I'm able to reach the green systems with it, weren't those the ones that used to need warp drive Tau or something?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Okay I have questions:

On PC (while using a 360 controller) how do I delete parts of a structure?

How do I customize my character?

Why the gently caress can I only fly my ship for about a minute? Fuel consumption is so loving fast what the gently caress you fucks.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I like how you can customize your character and I like how my character looks but this is a game that DEMANDS first person

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Inzombiac posted:

Okay I have questions:

Why the gently caress can I only fly my ship for about a minute? Fuel consumption is so loving fast what the gently caress you fucks.

When looking at a structure, open the quick build menu (up on the d-pad), but (and this is the crucial part that took me forever to figure out, too), not all the way to where you're selecting a specific component to place down. Then I think you hold either LT or RT and it will be a delete cursor.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

I love that research trader now also sell materials/upgrades/etc. The ones that sell upgrades are my new favorites. I mean, eventually I'll get every tech but for now a single use upgrade that'll do what I want is amazing.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Inzombiac posted:

Okay I have questions:

In space stations, the opposite side of where you usually went before the patch has a bunch of merchants who sell upgrades and blueprints and somewhere in there is a large circular platform where you can customize your dude

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I love using the jetpack in third person, especially when you get the boost. You can practically fly.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's a little thing but I appreciate that you can now see your character when the camera detaches for an interaction sequence, even if you're playing in first person.

Also haven't found character customization yet.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

haveblue posted:

It's a little thing but I appreciate that you can now see your character when the camera detaches for an interaction sequence, even if you're playing in first person.

Also haven't found character customization yet.

they're on space stations, they look like a weird pad thing on the floor with a dentist's light above.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

bgreman posted:

When looking at a structure, open the quick build menu (up on the d-pad), but (and this is the crucial part that took me forever to figure out, too), not all the way to where you're selecting a specific component to place down. Then I think you hold either LT or RT and it will be a delete cursor.

Jesus gently caress. As chill as this game is, some of the design elements are baffling.

I got to my second planet. Seems alright. It's got blue grass, monster chickens and a lot of water.

Am I expected to settle here until I can upgrade more? Using my ship is next to impossible.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
Settle wherever you want

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Some more hours into the update, more and more poo poo is broken.

re: crafting

some things take a fuckton of stuff in multiple layers. The large refiner needs 200 chromatic metal(400 copper) and 5 microprocessor(200 chromatic metal(400 copper) + carbon nanotubes(250 carbon)) the stuff with more complex stuff starts needing a ton of base level minerals.

Farming is pretty hosed. Solar vines need 100 phosporous a piece to plant, phosphorous deposits only seem to contain about 80, so you need 2 deposits per plant times like 2 minutes walking per deposit and it all adds up.

It feels like they're catering to the hardcore minecraft crowd where your base is your life's work instead of just a few hours of dicking around.

re: space ship fuel

Buy ferrite dust and dihydrogen for cheap at a station and craft 20 containers of it. 20 containers stack in your spacesuit inventory and will refill the ship 10 times. with a level B efficient thruster upgrade, that's 80 launches not including buildings with landing spots.

It's a lot slower burn to start which i think will put a lot of people off, but it will obviously snowball into being a badass. It is almost what the game should have been day one. hopefully the huge update + sale price will bring in enough revenue for them to finish it before they try to dip back in with paid DLC.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I just got my freighter. Yay. Three things about this though...
1: I can't wait to get that base building bug since I technically haven't started that real quest yet.
2: Did you know? If you find a crashed ship but can't repair it, you can still claim it, swap back to your old ship, and the crashed ship will show up on your freighter!
3: How the gently caress do you summon your other ships to your freighter? It seems like I have to quit and come back or reload a save inside the freighter for other ships to show up but... they all show up in the same slot? I'm confused.

Edit: HAHAHA I tried to take off in my ship and it forced it into the geometry of the freighter from which I could not escape. I was trapped in a prison of polygons. I tried to reload the last save and it crashed the game. Amazing.

Edit 2: ... I think my save might be a little hosed now...

Powershift posted:

You can also trade the busted rear end ships for working ones on the freighter without having to fix anything.
Oh poo poo this might be my saving grace then. Now to wait for a ship that is worth less than my broken ship...

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 25, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You can also trade the busted rear end ships for working ones on the freighter without having to fix anything.

e: cost a pile of nanite clusters but i stacked the S, A, and C movement modules on my spacesuit and now i can run more than 30 feet!

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 25, 2018

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

What's the best way to make Freighter money in this game right now? Any specific market item I can arbitrage?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Anyone know if the items you can find as artifacts in the ruins (with the 1,000,000+ value) are actually usable for anything or are solely to be sold? The flavor text for one I found seems to indicate it might have some kind of use, but it's hard to tell, and as has been noted, none of the NMS wikis or guides are updated for the new content.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Waffle House posted:

What's the best way to make Freighter money in this game right now? Any specific market item I can arbitrage?

I saved a freighter from pirates, and the little gek captain was all up ons and the freighter is mine now. basically jump around until you find a freighter under attack, kill the attackers(without shooting the ship) and you might be given the freighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Those crafting trees sound daunting but a lot of that is buyable, which may feel like a shortcut but will result in much less wandering around harvesting.

bgreman posted:

Anyone know if the items you can find as artifacts in the ruins (with the 1,000,000+ value) are actually usable for anything or are solely to be sold? The flavor text for one I found seems to indicate it might have some kind of use, but it's hard to tell, and as has been noted, none of the NMS wikis or guides are updated for the new content.

If those are used it's by stuff that doesn't unlock for a while, if you're just starting out you can probably get way more mileage out of a million credits.