Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Calaveron posted:

I mean the character would've been in his 80s and lord knows Marty loved his fatty foods and beer

I don't disagree, but having just finished a rewatch of the entire series (sweet Jesus I had forgotten how much garbage is in Season 11), it really stuck out to me just how much Martin was the glue of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

AMC has a fuckton level of exposure if something damning pops up at this point, so I really don't think they would have done a dog and pony show investigation just to get him back on the air.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

zoux posted:

Looks like four of the five GoT prequels aren't happening

Just like it was literally reported would happen from the very beginning. At no point were they considering doing 5 spinoffs and they were very open about that fact. The game of Bad Journalism Telephone just twisted it into something it never was.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah iirc it was never confirmed all five pitches would even happen, just that they were throwing around several different ideas for what to do after GoT ends.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A Game of Pilots

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

loving casuals!!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmao didn't he also say 'well at least the people who don't like the show are still talking about how much they don't like the show!'

I mean any publicity is good publicity so he's not wrong.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

zoux posted:

loving casuals!!

Ah yes, it's my fault for hating your bad show.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

zoux posted:

loving casuals!!
I watched one episode (the first) and thought it was trash aside from the music, and not even entertaining trash.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Ah yes, it's my fault for hating your bad show.

Git gud (at watching TV) noob

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

zoux posted:

loving casuals!!

:rolleyes:

What do they mean by ‘casual’? 95% of the people watching it?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Even if they cleared him, that still seems like believing the abuser and not the abused to me, and it's a real bad look for AMC to hire him back after he just caused all this controversy recently.

Like, there are so many other competent people who aren't sex predators that could host the drat thing. Why do they have to hire back the guy who very well might be one?

I mean, they hired people who do a thorough investigation, to do a thorough investigation, and they cleared him. That sounds like “believing the investigators” more than anything else. Should any accusation of being a sex pest brand someone for life?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Even if they cleared him, that still seems like believing the abuser and not the abused to me, and it's a real bad look for AMC to hire him back after he just caused all this controversy recently.

Like, there are so many other competent people who aren't sex predators that could host the drat thing. Why do they have to hire back the guy who very well might be one?

Also, the concept that The Walking Dead still (or ever) needs an aftershow is real dumb, but that's beside the point.

I get your point and I agree. I mean none of us really know is the thing here. If she has proof as she says she done this is about to turn into something else altogether. But when you say it's siding with the abuser, if you have done what you said you did and come to this conclusion then you are not siding with the abuser. You are essentially telling people he was not an abuser. And that's what they've essentially done. And if they didn't do the right thing here they've just hosed up in a serious way. But on the back of this investigation and if they really did find it to be false or whatever, why shouldn't he get his job back? I think this is something only those involved really know the answer to. We can't speculate because all we have is one of the story and a supposed investigation that clears the other side.

They better pray they got this right though, that's for drat sure.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

:rolleyes:

What do they mean by ‘casual’? 95% of the people watching it?

He meant "you have to pay attention" but I just posted the attention grabbing headline for the quotes :twisted:

X-O posted:

They better pray they got this right though, that's for drat sure.

Yeah AMC must be pretty confident in the investigation, because if not, executive heads will roll.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
People repeated "they're Thunderdoming the scripts, only one show is getting made" so much, I guess some people who love GoT insanely just ignored it and made-believe they were making five shows.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I mean, they hired people who do a thorough investigation, to do a thorough investigation, and they cleared him. That sounds like “believing the investigators” more than anything else. Should any accusation of being a sex pest brand someone for life?
If they express genuine remorse and apologize to their victim(s), which Hardwick hasn't really done, then no. He just seems like a dick and AMC seems really negligent in barely waiting for the dust to settle on this at all to give him a job in front of a camera again.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Cheers to AMC for even doing an investigation, typically he'd be fired without anyone looking into it. And yes, she hasn't come forward with any of the proof.

Edit; if he apologizes, he admits guilt which he said he was absolutely not guilty.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Your concept of how the justice system works fascinates me. Tell us more please? Like, after an accuser is automatically believed, an apparently legit investigation has been ignored because you don't like result, and the accused has had to prove his innocence rather than the accuser having to prove guilt, then what happens?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

loving casuals!!

I mean "not casuals" is kind of the nature of your viewers to start with when you have a paid-subscription-only network, so when those people think your show sucksv idk man I don't think the viewers are the problem.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Some HBO execs are probably really depressed that Westworld isn't becoming their megahit to replace GoT next year.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Your concept of how the justice system works fascinates me. Tell us more please? Like, after an accuser is automatically believed, an apparently legit investigation has been ignored because you don't like result, and the accused has had to prove his innocence rather than the accuser having to prove guilt, then what happens?
What I'm saying is how the gently caress do you prove you're not a sex predator years after the accusations occurred?

I saw several people backing up Dykstra, so I don't know what the investigation could've found. And it's far too soon to make a decision on this either way. The controversy just happened.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'd agree it's probably a bad look to rehire him so quickly, but if they did a thorough investigation and found out he's innocent, shouldn't we then believe that he's innocent instead of believing the alleged abused? As hosed up as that sounds.

Personally I'm just going to sit on any real judgment til we see if anything comes of this. If Dykstra still has proof (assuming a thorough investigation didn't already look at the proof she said she has and found it insubstantial) and she brings it forward, then we'll know. If this all just goes away quietly I'll continue feeling kind of torn about it, I guess.

Like I 10000% prefer to err on the side of the victim, but if it's a case where the victim is found to not be one then I'm not going to side with that person any more-- at least in terms of publicly shaming or trying to get the alleged abuser out of the business. It could have still been a very hard or volatile relationship without him doing anything we might classify as a crime or 'real' abuse and I'll still feel for her for that. It's a tough situation.

If they express genuine remorse and apologize to their victim(s), which Hardwick hasn't really done, then no. He just seems like a dick and AMC seems really negligent in barely waiting for the dust to settle on this at all to give him a job in front of a camera again.

I mean, if the investigation was right and he is indeed innocent, then why should he have to apologize for something he didn't do?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I do agree that it being so far removed from when the events were supposed to have happened muddies the waters a lot. Like how thorough or accurate can the investigation have been, etc.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There are other nerds in the world to hire to host poo poo that aren't sex predators or even accused sex predators for gently caress's sake. I don't see why AMC thinks he's the only one who's worthwhile. He's not even that funny.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

esperterra posted:

I do agree that it being so far removed from when the events were supposed to have happened muddies the waters a lot. Like how thorough or accurate can the investigation have been, etc.

That’s why statute of limitations exist in law for when someone can be charged with something.

There are other nerds in the world to hire to host poo poo that aren't sex predators or even accused sex predators for gently caress's sake. I don't see why AMC thinks he's the only one who's worthwhile. He's not even that funny.

So do you just want everyone who’s accused of anything to be instantly fired and never hired for anything again, even after they’re cleared?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So do you just want everyone who’s accused of anything to be instantly fired and never hired for anything again, even after they’re cleared?
I wish Chris Hardwick's firing from AMC had actually stuck and it wasn't just a temporary firing for a couple months.

He can get another job somewhere else, whatever. Just don't put him back in front of a camera for millions of people to see right after he got accused of doing skeezy poo poo to women.

It makes me lose respect for AMC.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So the answer is yes, anyone that is accused of harassment should be fired.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

esperterra posted:

Looking into it some more, TMZ apparently got a hold of some texts that showed Dykstra was trying to reconcile with him several months after they broke up. Now, that doesn’t mean she was lying, she may not have cottoned on to the fact that she was a victim of abuse until later, but it doesn’t help corroborate her allegations. It certainly muddies the waters.

It was a lot easier when there was either an admission of guilt like with Louis CK or strong reporting like with Weinstein, these less clear cases seem to just allow people to project whatever their personal feelings about power and sex dynamics onto the facts. I guess for now I have no reason to believe that the investigation findings are false, but I'm also open to further evidence that disputes that

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

As far as I can tell they didn't actually fire and rehire him. He was replaced pending investigation, which according to them cleared him and so he's back.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

muscles like this! posted:

As far as I can tell they didn't actually fire and rehire him. He was replaced pending investigation, which according to them cleared him and so he's back.
lmao, this makes me lose even more respect for AMC. Instead of firing him outright when they heard all the accusations, they were like "Now hold on, let's just put him in the doghouse for a little while and see what we can do to get him out quickly."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

lmao, this makes me lose even more respect for AMC. Instead of firing him outright when they heard all the accusations, they were like "Now hold on, let's just put him in the doghouse for a little while and see what we can do to get him out quickly."

Yes, there is nothing better than hair-trigger reactions before any facts are hashed out. Innocent until proven guilty is such a dumb principle.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So you're seriously advocating for any person that is accused of a crime past or present without proof to be fired immediately on the spot? Is that what you're really asking for? I mean if it is, ok, but that's a hell of a slippery slope.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yes, there is nothing better than hair-trigger reactions before any facts are hashed out. Innocent until proven guilty is such a dumb principle.
Your posts reek of defending an rear end in a top hat to me, just FYI. I'm far more inclined to believe Chloe Dykstra after what I heard Hardwick did to her. I'm not about to jump to his defense.

X-O posted:

So you're seriously advocating for any person that is accused of a crime past or present without proof to be fired immediately on the spot? Is that what you're really asking for? I mean if it is, ok, but that's a hell of a slippery slope.
I'm advocating for AMC to distance themselves as much as possible from one of their talkshow hosts after he was accused of abusing women.

It seems like they want to hold onto him as much as possible no matter what he did, which sucks.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 25, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Replaced pending investigation is really the middle ground of taking the accusation seriously while still respecting the rights of the accused, so losing respect for them over that is just so weird to me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Your posts reek of defending an rear end in a top hat to me, just FYI. I'm far more inclined to believe Chloe Dykstra after what I heard Hardwick did to her. I'm not about to jump to his defense.

I think most people here seem to be having thoughtful discussions on the subject about the mixed feelings they have on it. You seem to be one of the only ones not to be honest.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My take on this is that I no longer feel qualified to have an opinion on it. It's just weird from so many angles now.

Like, obviously he should lose his job if he did it, and shouldn't if he didn't, but this whole mess is so overcomplicated, jeez.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

X-O posted:

I think most people here seem to be having thoughtful discussions on the subject about the mixed feelings they have on it. You seem to be one of the only ones not to be honest.
Because honestly I don't have mixed feelings about it. My feeling is that he should go away. Get someone with a clean(er) record to host the dumb aftershow. Don't cling onto potential abusers just because you like the numbers they get you or whatever.

Everyone's made mistakes, but I don't think people who made mistakes like that deserve to have a platform.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I can understand being super apprehensive about whether the investigation bore any real fruit, whether it's even possible to fully clear him after this much time, etc. But I just can't get behind the idea that people should instantly be punished/fired when accused of something, barring it being like a Cosby situation where a shitton of people come forward to corroborate claims or with their own stories of abuse. As far as I know it's been kind of back and forth with Hardwick even before this investigation, with people backing Dykstra's story and people, even former exes, coming forward to back Hardwick.

Like it just isn't as cut and dry a situation as it would need to be for me to agree with him needing to be fired right away, or to agree with the idea that he shouldn't be allowed to have his job back if his name has been cleared. It's a super slippery slope indeed!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I loving love Frasier but I don't want it to come back in 2018, any more than I'd want a departed loved one to return as a cursed undead.

muscles like this! posted:

It was a weird time when people tried to bring stuff back as internet videos. Like Jim Mallon tried to "revive" MST3K lke 15 years ago but instead of anything with the actual concept of the show he just ordered lovely Flash videos starring the bots. But not really because he didn't get anybody back and had like Paul Chaplin do a voice instead.

Anyone remember the Princess Bride flash series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

esperterra posted:

I can understand being super apprehensive about whether the investigation bore any real fruit, whether it's even possible to fully clear him after this much time, etc. But I just can't get behind the idea that people should instantly be punished/fired when accused of something, barring it being like a Cosby situation where a shitton of people come forward to corroborate claims or with their own stories of abuse. As far as I know it's been kind of back and forth with Hardwick even before this investigation, with people backing Dykstra's story and people, even former exes, coming forward to back Hardwick.

Like it just isn't as cut and dry a situation as it would need to be for me to agree with him needing to be fired right away, or to agree with the idea that he shouldn't be allowed to have his job back if his name has been cleared. It's a super slippery slope indeed!

Even Cosby got a trial.

Presumption of innocence is the bedrock of American jurisprudence, and our criminal justice system's extreme abuses aside, it's a laudable value. Now, the court of public opinion doesn’t have to adhere to those standards but I think people should get due process