Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Flytrap posted:

Hell, I never knew Dragon's Dogma was supposed to be a big deal until *right now*. I thought it was some C-team thing that got coded in a couple months and then flopped out the door once it looked vaguely done.

Nope, and like many games, it's scope far exceeded what they could actually do, and a lot of what they planned simply couldn't be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tbh i never head of dragon's dogma. is it good and sold poorly or is it just poor?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mans posted:

tbh i never head of dragon's dogma. is it good and sold poorly or is it just poor?

It's really good.
It's a bit janky and weird but it's quite special and absolutely worth playing.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Mans posted:

It's good. There's some weird, inexplicable poo poo in there, but nothing else really scratches the same itch it does.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Imo there's really not another game quite like Dragon's Dogma. They really made fighting big monsters fun, and I can't recall a game that has made high level magic so obscene.

Solid minute of casting, then boom a giant tornado sending Goblins everywhere.

Slightly related, pawns learning from players was really good and hilarious. Taught a pawn to collect apples with the afformentioned tornado.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I always liked how Dragon's Dogma art direction felt like a Larry Elmore Painting.

Pictured, the Arisen and his pawns about to mount a dragon.

Nasgate posted:

Imo there's really not another game quite like Dragon's Dogma. They really made fighting big monsters fun, and I can't recall a game that has made high level magic so obscene.

Solid minute of casting, then boom a giant tornado sending Goblins everywhere.

Slightly related, pawns learning from players was really good and hilarious. Taught a pawn to collect apples with the afformentioned tornado.

And everyone's favorite:

Yes, you can set yourself on fire and then tackle giant monsters to stab them in the bits. While on fire.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mans posted:

probably the most incredible combat system in any ARPG, nothing comes close to it. Unfortunately almost everything else about the game is so loving boring and droll, which is probably why the game failed. I'd love to see a sequel if the design and writing for the game got a huge overhaul.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Flytrap posted:

Hell, I never knew Dragon's Dogma was supposed to be a big deal until *right now*. I thought it was some C-team thing that got coded in a couple months and then flopped out the door once it looked vaguely done.

Capcom saw that fantasy RPGs, such as Fable and Oblivion, were very doing and wanted to get in on the success. Hideaki Itsuno had been pitching the idea for Dragon's Dogma for years and finally got the greenlight. It was supposed to be the start of a multi-media franchise for the publisher.

I think there's strong potential for a co-op open world Dragon Dogma 2 in today's market. Many publishers are making co-op loot based action RPGs with a service model. However, I'm not sure Capcom would be willing to put a Resident Evil/Monster Hunter budget on it.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Just translate DD online

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I wanted to enjoy Dragon's Dogma, but I keep bouncing off it because after 14 hours of play time I've killed a bunch of wolves/goblins, and fought maybe 2 giant monsters I was actually expected to kill.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I've tried getting into Dragon's Dogma again recently too, but I never get farther than Gran Soren. I managed to go the other path before it early on where all the really strong enemies and chimera are and killed them, but I don't know, the game just doesn't click for me. It just feels like an MMO to me for some reason, and I'm not fond of that. I might go back to play it at some later date, but yeah, it's kinda boring.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Flytrap posted:

same

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
To be fair to Dragon's Dogma, it released in very difficult market conditions. Diablo 3 and Max Payne 3 released a week before and sucked the oxygen out of the room. We were also seeing a lot of games underperform during this time as the userbase was ready to transition to next-gen systems after an unusually long generation.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It also barely ran on the consoles of the time and took way too long to come to PC.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
For those bouncing off, I recommend a)trying different classes and b)getting to grand soren asap for the cross classes

I personally never really enjoyed mages much but woo boy I love magic knight and mystic archer.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/GameAnim/status/1019574504702394369

I know, resetera, grain of salt, yadda yadda but, uh... What?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
read the replies, that tweet is weirdly misinformative

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Goddamit Capcom, you're not making Uncharted or something.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
literally at the top of the thread the guy links in the tweet

https://twitter.com/OneSanitarium/status/1019656054400081920

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

We're gonna be able to play the game real soon, why spread misinformation? They can just wait and see.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it probably wasn't intentional, he's just a naughty dog game animator guy who made a weird jump based on a vague snippet of an interview without giving any real context or a direct link straight to the interview itself. at least the thread he linked to edited that tweet to the top of the op

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

https://twitter.com/GameAnim/status/1019574504702394369

I know, resetera, grain of salt, yadda yadda but, uh... What?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

PANIC

The Colonel posted:

literally at the top of the thread the guy links in the tweet

https://twitter.com/OneSanitarium/status/1019656054400081920

oh, nevermind then

Panic averted.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So it's less that jump canceling is canceled and more that they're giving it frames to make it look a little less goofy. I can get behind that.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

That's always been one of those little things I dislike but isn't ever important enough for devs to wanna do things with, so I'm super up for making cancels and transitions look cooler.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
My Devil Trigger was very nearly pulled

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Flytrap posted:

So it's less that jump canceling is canceled and more that they're giving it frames to make it look a little less goofy. I can get behind that.

yeah this is very good news

maybe someday they'll finally make the hitboxes match the in game models too

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
People

Relax

DMC5 is going to be good

Bang bang

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/DMC5Info/status/1021460302351818752

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

hold up you're saying all the clothing is also real

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

producer showed up on stream wearing nero's coat

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mans posted:

It is good and sold a decent amount for a new IP(4m). Like others said Capcom didn't show off anything good about it and entirely blundered the marketing. It looked like a generic rpg medieval game but it was basically action game with rpg mechanics and medieval setting. They rereleased it on PS4/XB1 which is always a good sign.

I am pretty sure most of the sales of this game were due to word of mouth and the fanbase. The reviewers thought it was average to good.

Also saw this on the subreddit.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I know it probably doesn't, but I'd really like it if those "small differences" included "no more awful gimmick secret missions"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ulio posted:

It is good and sold a decent amount for a new IP(4m). Like others said Capcom didn't show off anything good about it and entirely blundered the marketing. It looked like a generic rpg medieval game but it was basically action game with rpg mechanics and medieval setting. They rereleased it on PS4/XB1 which is always a good sign.

I am pretty sure most of the sales of this game were due to word of mouth and the fanbase. The reviewers thought it was average to good

Also the plot goes off the loving rails once you beat it

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the animation cancelling re-work sounds like an assload of effort for something that I've never really minded in previous DMC games, but if they can pull it off good on them

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

i bet the change to the red orb system is that you also collect nuts and bolts like in Ratchet and Clank, to make crazier devil breakers

https://i.imgur.com/u9sRD8V.mp4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the plasma whip was the best weapon in any ratchet & clank game

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

CharlestonJew posted:

the animation cancelling re-work sounds like an assload of effort for something that I've never really minded in previous DMC games, but if they can pull it off good on them

The description of it as "the uncanny valley of action" implies that the improved graphics of this console generation makes it more noticeable and awkward than it was before. So while it may not have been a problem then, it's a problem now.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

"devil breakers will break if attacked" uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh this sounds terrible

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

DLC Inc posted:

"devil breakers will break if attacked" uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh this sounds terrible

yeah this sounds really annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I imagine it'd going to be somewhat like magic in Bayonetta where they're not the thing the game is based around and instead part of the encouragement to avoid damage and string together combos.