Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

MikeJF posted:

I could actually see Lars being a spinoff series after Steven Universe ends.

It was implied she could FTL with the barn, wasn't it?

Possibly, though she may have dumped the barn on the moon before getting into really stretching her wings. But honestly, Lapis doesn't seem to have many limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I really want my Star Control: Lars Edition.

Space diplomacy! Ship upgrades! Menial resource gathering! Padparadscha!

E- Fluorite: Yesssss...... The pass..... Word.... Is..... Hufffffyyy.... Mufffyyyy..... Guffffffy.....

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 25, 2018

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Lapis in a Pykrete ship would be unstoppable!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Just saw somebody point out on tumblr that 'pinking' is a common process in the gemstone industry to cheaply and reliably dye undesireable pearls a more sought-after colour.

Bleaching coloured pearls white, on the other hand, is a much more involved process that has to be done with great care and skill or else the pearl will turn stiff and brittle and may develop surface cracks.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I noticed something important: Blue Diamond doesn't have sleeves. She looks like she has sleeves, but those big flowy things on her arms aren't open at the other end, there's just a flat surface at the end.

Those are her arms.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RandomFerret posted:

Just saw somebody point out on tumblr that 'pinking' is a common process in the gemstone industry to cheaply and reliably dye undesireable pearls a more sought-after colour.

Bleaching coloured pearls white, on the other hand, is a much more involved process that has to be done with great care and skill or else the pearl will turn stiff and brittle and may develop surface cracks.

And whose Pearls have Gem locations that hint at a hasty swap...?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

...actually I wonder if Lapis Lazuli could achieve FTL while bringing a chunk of ocean along with her. Maybe a ship made of ice.

She talks about flying outside the milky way before turning back to live on the moon, so her speed is more than a little FTL and/or the crew is not super concerned with realistic science for that stuff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

She talks about flying outside the milky way before turning back to live on the moon, so her speed is more than a little FTL and/or the crew is not super concerned with realistic science for that stuff.

I figured that much, yes. It makes sense as a probably required ability for a planetary-scale terraformer.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

SlothfulCobra posted:

I noticed something important: Blue Diamond doesn't have sleeves. She looks like she has sleeves, but those big flowy things on her arms aren't open at the other end, there's just a flat surface at the end.

Those are her arms.

Well, I mean, that's true of all gems. Peridot is the only one who wears appearance modifiers that aren't melded to her body.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

SlothfulCobra posted:

Those are her arms.

I sorta always figured that. Her whole cloak also has a tendency of disappearing? Like when she removes the hood, it's gone.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I figured that much, yes. It makes sense as a probably required ability for a planetary-scale terraformer.

They also point to the galaxy homeworld is in at one point, meaning it's in a whole different galaxy, stuff in general in SU seems really far away for no reason in a way that just seems like "big numbers/space stuff" that sci-fi does a lot.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Well, I mean, that's true of all gems. Peridot is the only one who wears appearance modifiers that aren't melded to her body.

Jasper had that cloak the first time we saw her, presumably because it made her look more badass.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Applying hard science to the show is my second-least favourite bit of fanwank.

First-least favourite is trying to explain why they all speak English.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Saw this pointed out re: WD https://mobile.twitter.com/dokirosi/status/1021504506641756162

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Whiz Palace posted:

:same:

Thanakyris
Aug 22, 2015

ApplesandOranges posted:

I wonder if Garnet will unfuse to stand out less around Homeworld. Then again they're travelling around with a human and a short Amethyst so they're conspicuous enough as is. I imagine her and Blue Diamond might have a chat about Ruby's intended shattering, but it might be hard to show all that since the whole show is from Steven's POV.

I feel like Blue Diamond being redeemed (at least partway, can't forget that intergalactic dictatorship completely) will definitely involve making up with Garnet. There's an obvious path to follow with it. Blue Diamond is clearly capable of love, but I'm not entirely sure she thinks the gems beneath her, even the aristocracy like Sapphire, are capable or worthy of such feelings. Likewise, Garnet is hyper-focused on Blue Diamond being a horrible shatterer (for good reason, I'm not gonna lie) when it is pretty clear there's more to her character than that. I feel like getting these two to understand more about each other, probably with help from Steven, will be key not just to Blue's "redemption", but to her seeing the massive flaws in Gem society and its caste system.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Whiz Palace posted:

It's the humans who speak Gem. With new words as required.

Thanakyris posted:

I feel like Blue Diamond being redeemed (at least partway, can't forget that intergalactic dictatorship completely) will definitely involve making up with Garnet. There's an obvious path to follow with it. Blue Diamond is clearly capable of love, but I'm not entirely sure she thinks the gems beneath her, even the aristocracy like Sapphire, are capable or worthy of such feelings. Likewise, Garnet is hyper-focused on Blue Diamond being a horrible shatterer (for good reason, I'm not gonna lie) when it is pretty clear there's more to her character than that. I feel like getting these two to understand more about each other, probably with help from Steven, will be key not just to Blue's "redemption", but to her seeing the massive flaws in Gem society and its caste system.

I think it's likely to start with, basically, an unlikely cooperation between them to rescue Steven and/or deal with whatever insane whim White Diamond has in mind now all the Diamonds are back together. Could easily be an issue where even their own Court gems are too afraid to move against White even on the orders of another Diamond- but of course, the Crystal Gems are rebels.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Hey so, just want to thank whoever recommended Revolutionary Girl Utena, that was one hell of a ride and I enjoyed pretty much every episode. The aesthetics were a real thrill and I thought both the comedy and melodrama landed pretty much every time. It's a show I could spend a long time thinking about and probably will.

Just one question though.

Why did Nanami turn into a cow in that one episode? I'm totally happy with the magical-realism approach to stuff in this show but this episode was just wtf?

Oh, should I watch Adolescence of Utena?

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Re: Utena it is an adolescence metaphor and also Anthy really enjoys loving with Nanami from a distance. One theory is that Anthy sees a lot of herself in Nanami’s brother-worship and is trying to keep her from going down Anthy’s path.

And here’s something from like 2017 that’s even better now

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cavelcade posted:

Hey so, just want to thank whoever recommended Revolutionary Girl Utena, that was one hell of a ride and I enjoyed pretty much every episode. The aesthetics were a real thrill and I thought both the comedy and melodrama landed pretty much every time. It's a show I could spend a long time thinking about and probably will.

Just one question though.

Why did Nanami turn into a cow in that one episode? I'm totally happy with the magical-realism approach to stuff in this show but this episode was just wtf?

I hope you like spiral staircases.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

:sbahj:

quote:

The *REAL* reason Pink was made

Blue: I don’t want it

Yellow: Well I certainly don’t want it

White, rubbing her temples: look … SOMEBODY needs to drive the rear end ship

http://elasticitymudflap.tumblr.com/post/176267665679/the-real-reason-pink-was-made

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I wouldn't be surprised if Steven got it into his head to try to save White Pearl from White Diamond, maybe even asking the diamonds if it's possible to release a Pearl from her duties, whether possible or not. He's just that sort of person.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Cavelcade posted:

Absolutely. It’s kinda great

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So, if Pearl is a hand-me-down from White, do you think Pearl is keeping that secret still or do you think giving the Pearl to Pink came with some kind of memory reset? Because now that Pearl can openly talk about stuff you'd think she'd mention if she remembered being White's Pearl

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Macaluso posted:

So, if Pearl is a hand-me-down from White, do you think Pearl is keeping that secret still or do you think giving the Pearl to Pink came with some kind of memory reset? Because now that Pearl can openly talk about stuff you'd think she'd mention if she remembered being White's Pearl

They never have really talked about memory wipes. If anything gems seem to have memories even when it’d be more convenient for them to not.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Pearl was the one who gave the info dump on White, such as it was, and she was clearly being vague and ominous to try and dissuade Steven from ever meeting her. There's a lot of hints that she's got PTSD from working for White, and probably just doesn't want to talk about it at all, and probably didn't feel the need to talk about her because she's so far removed from everything that she literally wasn't even namedropped until now. I imagine now that White's become a thing in everyone's lives that they need to worry about, she'll probably be more talkative about her.

The other option is that, as many people are speculating, White's main power is mind control, and Our Pearl has been spending the last god knows how long actively not thinking about White Diamond to try and keep her from getting back in her head, because the full result of White's power is what happened to Pink, now White Pearl--someone so stripped of their free will that they lose all their colour, they're locked into the same posture White herself is and can't move except for how White allows them to move, and when they speak it's with White's voice because their own has either been overridden or that actually IS White speaking through them. Our Pearl probably knows exactly what kind of monster White really is and is terrified to even talk about it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

BioEnchanted posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Steven got it into his head to try to save White Pearl from White Diamond, maybe even asking the diamonds if it's possible to release a Pearl from her duties, whether possible or not. He's just that sort of person.

I mean, he released his own Pearl from her final command, even if she certainly helped him along the way. We know it's possible, just not if it's possible without the owner's consent.

White Pearl also has the same top and semi-skirt that Pink Diamond wore in her original form. It's entirely possible that she's a swapped Pearl, though I don't want to speculate too much on a character that's had 30 seconds of screentime and will definitely come up again soon.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean, he released his own Pearl from her final command, even if she certainly helped him along the way. We know it's possible, just not if it's possible without the owner's consent.

White Pearl also has the same top and semi-skirt that Pink Diamond wore in her original form. It's entirely possible that she's a swapped Pearl, though I don't want to speculate too much on a character that's had 30 seconds of screentime and will definitely come up again soon.

What I meant was in such a way that White Diamond can't just order her to come back to her. Not just negating one order. I could also see him convincing the Diamonds to stand up to her, using a kind of "Are we really going to let her keep talking to us like this?" kind of rhetoric.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Does WD still have a security permissions backdoor into Pearl? They could pull a late-in-the-game heel turn for Pearl, but they'd absolutely never do it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Something else interesting I noticed about White Pearl: there's a persistent low-frequency screech whenever she's on screen and it disappears the second she phases through the wall and out of the episode. And it sounds an awful lot like the gears running in a wind-up toy...

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Something else interesting I noticed about White Pearl: there's a persistent low-frequency screech whenever she's on screen and it disappears the second she phases through the wall and out of the episode. And it sounds an awful lot like the gears running in a wind-up toy...

Other gems have theme music. White Pearl has a low, discordant tone. Something is clearly very wrong.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Madurai posted:

Does WD still have a security permissions backdoor into Pearl? They could pull a late-in-the-game heel turn for Pearl, but they'd absolutely never do it.

One possibility that I've seen brought up is that Pearl may be somehow bugged without realizing it. Homeworld knew they were coming, and WD seemed to know about Pink being Rose (and may have even been the one to change the final attack into a corruption instead, so the other gems could be fixed once Pink "got it out of her system" and came back).

Hell, maybe WD has a stronger version of the astral plane power and can see what other gems are thinking anyway. Might explain why she hasn't left Homeworld and just stands there unmoving, she's busy running things by checking on and controlling other gems.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

I thought the line Steven said to YD was pretty telling- "ah, you don't know what a mom is".

White Diamond is the matriarch of gem society and presumably created the other diamonds, but despite her maternal sounding comments to Steven it's clear Blue and Yellow fear her more than they love her- they really don't know what a mom is in the same way Steven does.

I think there will be a lot of comparing between the mother figures of Rose/the crystal gems and WD.
Rose actively encouraged gems to push themselves beyond their roles and celebrated uniqueness and imperfection. She readily embraced change and was willing to self-sacrifice for Steven to be born. The Gems themselves have also had to mature and grow alongside Steven and because of it they've become better people with a stronger love and understanding between all of them. That's the two things the Gems and the Earth represent- love, and change.

WD is static, never leaving homeworld (or presumably moving). Neither Yellow or Blue have come to terms with their grief and seem to rely on each other. Gem society is run on fear and uniformity and the control White has over gem-kind is stifling everything in a way that is hugely detrimental. She's a mother figure who refuses to let her children grow up.

Rose, even though her involvement with Steven is nil, was a better mother and leader than White in far less time.

With the current situation, it feels like if you moved out, got a job, got married, became your own boss, had a kid and then came home only for your mom to pat you on the head and send you to play with dolls.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

nine-gear crow posted:

They do some neat things with the music on this show. It's always integrating different leitmotifs and morphs with the mood. At the start of LFHtH, the music is bouncy and cheerful but plays Blue's EbMaj7 chord. It's now part of the overall music instead of drowning everything out.

I've had friends who are really into audio production praise the show for its sound engineering.

Unrelated but I need everyone to imagine White's lines being delivered by Seymour Big Cheese and hear how well it works.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Plant MONSTER. posted:

They do some neat things with the music on this show. It's always integrating different leitmotifs and morphs with the mood. At the start of LFHtH, the music is bouncy and cheerful but plays Blue's EbMaj7 chord. It's now part of the overall music instead of drowning everything out.

I've had friends who are really into audio production praise the show for its sound engineering.

Unrelated but I need everyone to imagine White's lines being delivered by Seymour Big Cheese and hear how well it works.

I really like whatever music chords were used for the Legship
It sounded deliberately off, not in a way to signal "this is creepy", but in a way to signal "look at this doofy fuckin' thing"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Plant MONSTER. posted:

They do some neat things with the music on this show. It's always integrating different leitmotifs and morphs with the mood.

No show in the history of television ever did foreshadowing better than making garnet play a keytar.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

No show in the history of television ever did foreshadowing better than making garnet play a keytar.
How's that, now?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

How's that, now?

It's a fusion of two instruments.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
And Ruby now plays guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU