Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
As I was putting together SMACX factions in Stellaris, it struck me how they just weren't nearly as fleshed out as the SMAC factions. Trying to pick out civics and ethics is weirder, since there really aren't any as many nuances to the characterization. Like sure you can say that Free Drones are Free Havens with Mining Guilds, and relatively Egalitarian, but the rest? Are they a Democracy? An Oligarchy? Besides being workers, they're kind of a one note band. Same with the Data Angels - they're idealist Egalitarians and Materialists, but to what degree? What are their drawbacks? And the Progenitors are so faceless, I ended up picking their civics pretty arbitrarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Nosfereefer posted:

The Drones from AC are the only moral faction.

Discuss.

[edit]

They're very cool and good but the anti-environmentalism is bad in any universe but ESPECIALLY when it turns out that the planet is actually a massive sapient being in its own right

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Crazycryodude posted:

They're very cool and good but the anti-environmentalism is bad in any universe but ESPECIALLY when it turns out that the planet is actually a massive sapient being in its own right

Just another Tyrant to rise against, I say!

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Nosfereefer posted:

Just another Tyrant to rise against, I say!

Hoarding all the mineral wealth for themselves, the worst kind.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Quick question, can you combine multiple species/empire mods from the workshop or do they overwrite each other?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Xenaero posted:

Quick question, can you combine multiple species/empire mods from the workshop or do they overwrite each other?

I can't check right now but I think they should all be compatible.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Xenaero posted:

Generally they're compatible, although there might be conflicts if you try to install five mods for a race that share a key differentiator like having the same name.

But barring (what should be) obvious conflicts like that, they work.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

metasynthetic posted:

BE's halfassedness singlehandedly (well, 5 contributed I guess) weaned me off the Civ series. I might buy 6 at the end of it's life in a gold bundle with all DLC included for 30$ or something.

It's okay though, since then I discovered Paradox games and Amplitude have made some big strides as well.

From a page or two back, but this is exactly what happened to me, too. Civ4 was a great game, then the multitude of issues that came from the switch to 1UPT ruined Civ5 for me, CivBE was a half-assed wreck, and when I checked in on the Civ6 thread it seemed like some or all of the issues that killed Civ5 for me (the most annoying AI-player interactions of any game I've ever played, unit logjams, bad AI, half-assed feature bloat, etc) were all still in full effect. Thankfully this thread was here for me to read up a little bit on Stellaris before picking it up.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

imho change the way that stars are named so that unsurveyed systems are given universal, generic names like LV-428 and once surveyed by an empire they're given a name based on the surveying empire's chosen namelist. Have the names of systems change according to the owner, so conquering a bunch of fungoid stars with names like Ssqijsadlf'mvxrk as avians will change the star names to things like Mega Space Roost. I guess xenophiles wouldn't do that.

Anyways, that would be cool thanks.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Aethernet posted:

There are other animals than just the Worm*.

*assuming I half-remember decades old lore correctly.
This was never ultra clear in the lore. Deirdre does mention that the fungus' final growth stage has historically killed off most of the other life on Planet, disrupting it's own ecology and leading to the cycle of die back and regrowth. Zak also mentions native plants (and their talent for nitrogen fixation), so clearly flora exists. SMACX also had Sealurks, Spore Crawlers and Fungal Towers, but as for the relation between these and the various worm vectors, or the existence of any other fauna, :iiam:

turn off the TV posted:

imho change the way that stars are named so that unsurveyed systems are given universal, generic names like LV-428 and once surveyed by an empire they're given a name based on the surveying empire's chosen namelist. Have the names of systems change according to the owner, so conquering a bunch of fungoid stars with names like Ssqijsadlf'mvxrk as avians will change the star names to things like Mega Space Roost. I guess xenophiles wouldn't do that.

This would be rad. Need much bigger namelists though to prevent a whole lot of duplicates.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 25, 2018

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

PittTheElder posted:

This was never ultra clear in the lore. Deirdre does mention that the fungus' final growth stage has historically killed off most of the other life on Planet, disrupting it's own ecology and leading to the cycle of die back and regrowth. Zak also mentions native plants (and their talent for nitrogen fixation), so clearly flora exists. SMACX also had Sealurks, Spore Crawlers and Fungal Towers, but as for the relation between these and the various worm vectors, or the existence of any other fauna, :iiam:

There's mention of a creature called a "razorbeak" in one of Deirdre's quotes, which I always interpreted as some sort of bird creature.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

PittTheElder posted:

This would be rad. Need much bigger namelists though to prevent a whole lot of duplicates.

In the Manifold Hamonics project video there's brief footage of a pond with glowing bugs and an alien frog creature. I would guess that there is a variety of wildlife but with the apex predator being Planet itself and all its component creatures.

https://youtu.be/CSDrsd0j1jY

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reveilled posted:

There's mention of a creature called a "razorbeak" in one of Deirdre's quotes, which I always interpreted as some sort of bird creature.

Razorbeak Wood is a city name too

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Razorbeak Wood is a city name too

And I thought I was a smac nerd wow you guys have an encyclopedic knowledge of this poo poo lol

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

PittTheElder posted:

You can write algorithms to generate hundreds of names based on linguistic settings so I'm not sure if that's necessarily an issue.

http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/instr.shtml

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

turn off the TV posted:

I like this idea but for simplicity and coherence, keep the current star namelist but just have it "revealed" upon survey. Having stars switch names based on owner sounds like a confusing nightmare, especially with the funky non-human names.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

LogisticEarth posted:

I like this idea but for simplicity and coherence, keep the current star namelist but just have it "revealed" upon survey. Having stars switch names based on owner sounds like a confusing nightmare, especially with the funky non-human names.

Are the regular star names any less weird nonsense?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

turn off the TV posted:

Most of them are pulled from lists of major stars in the Milky Way.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Kaal posted:

Most of them are pulled from lists of major stars in the Milky Way.

A lot of stars in our own galaxy are named after words in languages that aren't english, so I'm not sure why there's a meaningful distinction between real and fictional linguistics being at play in star names.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

turn off the TV posted:

A lot of stars in our own galaxy are named after words in languages that aren't english, so I'm not sure why there's a meaningful distinction between real and fictional linguistics being at play in star names.

Fair point, but there aren't a lot of stars named Nk Do Lag or whatever, while the Stellaris language generator is filled with that sort of thing.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I believe there are also a lot of stars named after fictional planets. I'd swear I've seen a Metalluna.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Kaal posted:

Fair point, but there aren't a lot of stars named Nk Do Lag or whatever, while the Stellaris language generator is filled with that sort of thing.

In the international western language standards, sure. Stars have other names in other languages.

Rhjamiz posted:

I believe there are also a lot of stars named after fictional planets. I'd swear I've seen a Metalluna.

I mean, there's Stemsis and Covfefe.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nuclearmonkee posted:

And I thought I was a smac nerd wow you guys have an encyclopedic knowledge of this poo poo lol

I'm copying the city names for this mod so I can make namelists for each faction

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
They even banned a star Alpha Centauri in honor of the famous game of that name

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Kerbol's in there too.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Crazycryodude posted:

You could have the Free Drones work in a mechanically identical way and represent some kind of alliance of populist nationalists led by Stegil Farannon and I bet y'all would like them way less then.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

turn off the TV posted:

I mean, Covefe is ridiculous but at least it's more recognizable compared to the other star names than Bllrg'fuffle vs. Grrg'fuffle or whatever. At least most of the stars names are at least from a human language rather than some gobbledygook.

The other issue was the name changes per empire. Bllrg'fuffle could change to Roost of Redbeak to Beetlejuice or whatever. Keep them static. Having them change would be needlessly confusing. The Anglosphere didn't refer to Germany as Deutschland before they were defeated in WWII, they just always called it Germany.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Nessus posted:

You could have the Free Drones work in a mechanically identical way and represent some kind of alliance of populist nationalists led by Stegil Farannon and I bet y'all would like them way less then.

Uh, correct? I dunno if you've noticed but the thing people usually like and care about in SMAC is the story, not the mechanics. I would indeed like the faction less if they were written as assholes I don't like instead of people I do like, good observation.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 26, 2018

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's Belgium too, of course

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Having the first empire to claim the system have a random chance to rename it (or after notable battles or other uncommon events) just once could be kinda cool.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

There's B****** too, of course
Try to be a little less obscene.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
Why not start with generic numbers and then have the name changed accordingly to the name list of the first race to visit.

"After exiting the hyperlane at GG420 we discovered that the system has already been visited by an alien race. They called it Grumbelfunk"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Okay - the Mardok Von thing is bugged, the fleet that turns up has some weird thing where all the Cruisers are really tiny and the destroyers are enormous.
When the destroyers blow up it causes the biggest explosion you've ever seen, it's bizzare.

Yet the game thinks the fleet has 25 corvettes in. So weird.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1022451921867694082
blue lightning is "trade value"

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I assume planet size is now the cap on districts rather than pops. Also, 'trade value' implies something really like EUIV, for which my body is ready.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the civ ripoff jokes continue, I see

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'm guessing Planetary Infrastructure (maybe in combination with Housing or job slots?) are what determine a planet's development level, unlocking more building slots tiles for you to specialize with.

Wonder how the districts, buildings and whatever the terrain squares are called now factor in to each other.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
My bet would be that districts largely produce 'raw' resource, food, minerals and energy - notwithstanding clerks - and buildings produce refined resources. Buildings are a function of pop.

You therefore have a choice between a planet focused on resource extraction that requires comparatively fewer people, and one focused on people that gives you lots of buildings to refine resources.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

More:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1022458380194144256

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Aethernet posted:

My bet would be that districts largely produce 'raw' resource, food, minerals and energy - notwithstanding clerks - and buildings produce refined resources. Buildings are a function of pop.

You therefore have a choice between a planet focused on resource extraction that requires comparatively fewer people, and one focused on people that gives you lots of buildings to refine resources.

Wiz's follow up basically confirms this - so that's nice that you can now specialize planets more so than just blanketing the surface with mines or power plants. Building more infrastructure on a planet also makes the buildings you do put down even more effective but at the cost of being able to produce more raw inputs yourself.

Also, in previous teasers of Earth we saw food consumption as lower than the actual number of pops on the planet but in today's we can see it's higher. They've either changed something or there is now a separate way to determine e how much food people get separate from their living standards. Always wondered why we couldn't control that before.