Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that 3/4-scale arcade cab that's gonna be sold at gamestop seems cool but i wish there was more of a bartop option. like 1/2 scale

not like the neo geo mini either because that's like 1/5-scale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jay Rust posted:

Looks exactly like Magikarp but has angry eyes

that's how you can tell it was designed by an american

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

that 3/4-scale arcade cab that's gonna be sold at gamestop seems cool but i wish there was more of a bartop option. like 1/2 scale

not like the neo geo mini either because that's like 1/5-scale

I'm glad they've finally merged the nightmare of fake arcade machines and IKEA furniture.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
does anyone else have that inescapable feeling that Death Stranding might not be good? I like to think that Konami was sort of a sanity check system to keep Kojima in line, so I have no idea what to expect when purestrain crazy makes a game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1022226997093826572

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Because it's where Yoshi was discovered, duh.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
hmm. no. yoshi was named like a pokemon, or a whipporwill, because that's the sound he makes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

buglord posted:

does anyone else have that inescapable feeling that Death Stranding might not be good? I like to think that Konami was sort of a sanity check system to keep Kojima in line, so I have no idea what to expect when purestrain crazy makes a game.

I dont really care how good it is imma buy it just to see

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

buglord posted:

Its definitely not gonna be the amazing, incredible game people are hyping it up to be. We finally got to see some gameplay footage and it was...walking. And you know that actually intrigued me more than anything I'd seen about Death Stranding yet. A weird hosed up wilderness traversal game is something that hasn't really been done by a studio with a huge budget. So that could be cool.

But its a Kojima game. A Kojima game where he has unlimited creative control and can do whatever he wants. So there's going to be a massive amount of cutscenes that are painfully long. The story is going to be obtuse and illogical. There's probably gonna be random bits of sexism thrown in too. I can't see a game with ridiculously long cutscenes and gameplay consisting of "walk from point A to B" having huge commercial success.

I'll be shocked if Death Stranding turns a profit. Even if the game itself is good, imagine how much money is being burned by Kojima hiring all his dream actors for incredibly long cutscenes with the best graphics modern systems can manage? That's not even touching how much must be going into trying to implement Kojima's ridiculous ideas in a realistic manner.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Internet Kraken posted:

I'll be shocked if Death Stranding turns a profit.

Will you actually though

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
gently caress I'm still a little salty over this. Some phone scammers called me and I was like "yo gimme a sec i'm droppin a dook" and they had the gall to call ME a pig? It's like bitch you a scammer and you called me to try and steal my money, gently caress you. We should find all phone scammers and cut their tongues out. And then brand their faces

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Death Stranding is Kojima’s $100 million friend simulator with Lea Seydoux and Mads Mikkelsen and well, can’t say I blame the guy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The White Dragon posted:

gently caress I'm still a little salty over this. Some phone scammers called me and I was like "yo gimme a sec i'm droppin a dook" and they had the gall to call ME a pig? It's like bitch you a scammer and you called me to try and steal my money, gently caress you. We should find all phone scammers and cut their tongues out

don't answer your phone if you don't recognize the number. If it's real they'll leave a voicemail

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

don't answer your phone if you don't recognize the number. If it's real they'll leave a voicemail

Or answer every call and see where the rabbit hole takes you.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cheetah7071 posted:

i find that when i answer and waste their time they stop calling for a week or so, but if i just let it go to voicemail they call more and more frequently every day until i pick up and tell them something rude

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If it's from the same phone number every time you can block the number at least

I pretty much only get robocall spam, not actual human beings trying to scam me

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

one time they did leave a voicemail and tried to claim they were a debt collector. gently caress you the university knows how to reach me

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Sadly it's always from some different number. This week I've gotten calls from Florida, Iowa, and New York. But they all want to tell me about my car insurance, for a vehicle that doesn't exist

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also kitty update: it does belong to one of our neighbors, they just let it out because there's like ten cats wandering around the complex and i guess they thought nothing would happen

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My university area code is very specific so I always know when it’s them ringing me up for money. Damnit I’m just a poor humanities major call your drat engineers and doctors!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The White Dragon posted:

Sadly it's always from some different number. This week I've gotten calls from Florida, Iowa, and New York. But they all want to tell me about my car insurance, for a vehicle that doesn't exist

In my experience they tend to have less than ten numbers to call from so blocking does make (slow) progress, at least

what happened to the do not call list geez

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
XM Radio calls me like once a week and I used to tell them I won't resubscribe to them because they do business with nazis but that didn't make them stop calling so now I just don't pick up. Maybe I should start messing with them though.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why don't they just text their scams to people

wouldn't that be more convenient for everyone involved

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Help Im Alive posted:

Why don't they just text their scams to people

wouldn't that be more convenient for everyone involved

The little old lady that would fall for the scam doesn't know how to text

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Just finished Nier Automata Route A, was pretty great! I heard Route B is quite similar, should I have a few weeks break first or just crack on in?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

My university area code is very specific so I always know when it’s them ringing me up for money. Damnit I’m just a poor humanities major call your drat engineers and doctors!

Please don't call the doctors, they're also trying to pay off their med school debt on top of their undergrad debt.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Help Im Alive posted:

don't trust any mechanics not called cid or cindy

The mechanic I go to is named Al, I think that's a mechanic name you can trust

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Convex posted:

Just finished Nier Automata Route A, was pretty great! I heard Route B is quite similar, should I have a few weeks break first or just crack on in?

route b repeats a lot of stuff, but it splits off around when you lose track of 9s and it doesn't take too long to reach that point

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The US manual for Super Mario Bros. said that the pipes / blocks / coins were the denizens of the Mushroom Kingdown magically transformed by Bowser, which implies that you commit some serious genocide on your quest to rescue the princess.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

death stranding is going to be good

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

oddium posted:

death stranding is going to be good

:yeah:

If Hideo Kojima successfully spends millions of dollars on a walking simulator, he will go down in gaming history as one of the undisputed greats

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Colonel posted:

route b repeats a lot of stuff, but it splits off around when you lose track of 9s and it doesn't take too long to reach that point

Ok thanks! Might as well get on with it then. Between that, RE7 and Evil Within 2 2017 wasn't all bad I guess

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ditched persona 2 and started Suikoden 2....this game is cool

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Ditched persona 2 and started Suikoden 2....this game is cool

Yes!! Its great! Oh gently caress i want to go back and check out my fort

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

Yes!! Its great! Oh gently caress i want to go back and check out my fort

The translation on that game was amazingly bad though.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Convex posted:

Ok thanks! Might as well get on with it then. Between that, RE7 and Evil Within 2 2017 wasn't all bad I guess

I (still) haven't played RE7 but I really, really liked the Evil Within 2. I haven't looked but I didn't get the impression its sales were amazing, which is too bad. I'd like to see another sequel.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've been playing NieR:Automata for the last few days. Just got the final, final ending (route E), after 57 hours of play. What a ride it was.

And of course I chose to throw it all away so the power of universal friendship will forever prevail.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

im looking at the toy story references page

quote:

The Castle of Cagliostro (1979)
Woody's character design is based on Lupin.

edit:

quote:

Home Improvement (1991) (TV Series)
Sid has a Binford toolbox in his room.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Macaluso posted:

Will you actually though

Yes. 3 years of teasing with high-budget cutscenes voiced by top tier actors does not bode well for a tight, conservative budget. Death Stranding could sell well and still not be considered a financial success if Kojima ends up burning through a small fortune to make it.

Of course the artistic merit and entertainment value of a game is not tied to its profit margin, but that is what the people funding it are gonna care about the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

raditts posted:

The translation on that game was amazingly bad though.

jeremy blaustein's bragged in the past about splitting up individual character text to individual translators to maintain character voice and like, okay, that's a fair concern to try and address, but also your localization is literally broken

then again konami's also had a history of being lovely to translators on some projects so i dunno who you can really blame on sui2's case

• Locked thread