Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Killed NKG just now.

Super fun boss. The vines were what hosed me up the most somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Everyone who's beaten NKG, have you tried... NGG?

I imagine modders have had fun making that one.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Boom, Dream No More ending complete. That was satisfying. I will probably revisit the game at some point for the Grimm Troupe content and the eventual Gods And Glory expansion, but for now I am done.

Also, boy did I get the Lore wrong. I thought the Infection was the thing that originally killed Wyrm, before the became the Pale King and granting the bugs of Hallownest sentience. I thought that it linked to that sentience somehow; getting rid of one would destroy the other, thus the Hollow Knight sealing it. Made sense to me in that the choice in the end is to perpetuate what little is left or to deliver the final blow to a dead kingdom.

Didn’t really consider that it was caused (intentionally or unintentionally) by the screams of a different, forgotten god. Can’t say that I know which I prefer more but it has its own appeal.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

I can burn down the last boss quite quickly to phase 4, but I keep falling off the drat stage!

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Take it slow. You are under less pressure than it seems.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Dancer posted:

Take it slow. You are under less pressure than it seems.

Did exactly that and got it done.

Was only at 106 per cent when I downed him. Somehow missed getting Shade Soul the entire time.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any tips for someone banging their head against the Watcher Knights? Techniques and whatnot? I know about reducing their numbers by 1. But I can barely make it to # 3. I have at least a twice upgraded nail. (I think?)
I suppose I should just walk away and come back, as I have not explored the White Palace nor many places for Monarch Wings. I just get stubbornly intent on things..

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Feenix posted:

Any tips for someone banging their head against the Watcher Knights? Techniques and whatnot? I know about reducing their numbers by 1. But I can barely make it to # 3. I have at least a twice upgraded nail. (I think?)
I suppose I should just walk away and come back, as I have not explored the White Palace nor many places for Monarch Wings. I just get stubbornly intent on things..

All hail the downward slash. The downward slash is your friend and saviour.

Also yeah, Monarch Wings help a lot. If what you're saying is that you don't have them yet, go get them

And finally, a spell build works great. Something like improved spells + improved soul gain per slash. The fireball can hit knights while they're rolling, and I think it can even hit them multiple times (besides just hitting both of them with one shot which is already nice).

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

Feenix posted:

The ground pound spell has a pretty wide aoe that you can usually catch two of them with in one go. Using the increased spell damage charm and + soul charm made the fight fairly straightforward for me by using that.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
The watcher knights have three attacks:

A horizontal spin dash. Jump over them when they do this move. You can pogo off the watcher as it passes under you for extra air time, which lets you save your air dash to evade an attack from the second knight. If a knight hits a wall early in the dash they'll deflect off it and spin in the opposite direction, so keep that in mind. Ideally you want to avoid putting your back to a wall.

A spin jump. If they do a little bounce while spinning up, you know they're jumping. Just walk under them while they're in the air (adjusting for whatever the second knight's doing; sometimes you gotta thread the needle if one goes high and the other goes low).

A sword combo. This is the easiest attack to avoid and also your best chance to get some hits in. You can pogo off them while they're swinging, just make sure to get away afterwards or you might get clipped by a jump.

Spells are pretty cool in this fight and lets you burst down a knight quickly. Consider trying some spell charms if you aren't using them already.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Dancer posted:

Also yeah, Monarch Wings help a lot. If what you're saying is that you don't have them yet, go get them

He's saying he hasn't found many places to use them. You can get to the Watcher Knights without them, but you need to do a perfectly timed pogo jump off of a pot near the ledge without them, so they're pretty much necessary.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
It is never a bad idea to fall back on spells for bosses, especially if you are charmed for extra soul, reduced cost for spells, extra damage for spells, or some combination thereof.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 25, 2018

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Please no spoilers:
I just made my way into City of Tears, down a few elevators and out into a big open main room. I climbed up and at the top platform was a flying bug over a body with an Inspect sign. As I fought the bug, I fell off, and when I got back up, the prompt to inspect was gone and never came back. What was there? Did I get something and somehow not notice?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

dantheman650 posted:

Please no spoilers:
I just made my way into City of Tears, down a few elevators and out into a big open main room. I climbed up and at the top platform was a flying bug over a body with an Inspect sign. As I fought the bug, I fell off, and when I got back up, the prompt to inspect was gone and never came back. What was there? Did I get something and somehow not notice?

It's a Hallownest seal, maybe you actually picked it up but the prompt got interrupted? It should be on the inventory screen if so.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Pigbuster posted:

It's a Hallownest seal, maybe you actually picked it up but the prompt got interrupted? It should be on the inventory screen if so.

Ahh yep! That must be it. Thanks.

Also, I can’t believe how wonderful this game is. I’ve been playing all week and when I’m not playing I’m thinking about it. I’ve been avoiding all information so every single thing is an amazing new surprise. It’s so so very good. Going to back right out of this thread now until I beat it!

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Feenix posted:

It helped me to stay in the center of the stage rather than running off to the sides. That way, you can see what they're going to do before they do it and can prepare rather than guessing whether or not they're going to fly across the screen and bean you in the head.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Final boss spoilers but if anyone wants a REALLY easy way to beat it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykeEovN7O44

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

flukenest was nerfed once or twice since then

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

For the last one you can still do it. Loading your file puts you back at your last bench save

Yeah i know, i just wanted to be done with the game for a while and start playing octopath

CKyle
Jan 15, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

Final boss spoilers but if anyone wants a REALLY easy way to beat it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykeEovN7O44

After struggling for a few days to beat that boss, your video made me very happy.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Just wanted everyone here to know that the spin attack is deceptively awesome.

1. You actually extend the spin time and number of strikes by repeatedly tapping the sword button, something the game does not tell you for some reason.
2. Each hit does 1.2x damage, so it allows you to rack up a lot of damage very quickly.
3. You can move around while spinning. This lets you start the spin outside an enemy's range and move into them, which in some cases allows you to bypass their shields because they aren't programmed to block that.

It was the spin attack combined with Nailmaster's Glory that made my second playthrough fight with the Watcher Knights a relative cakewalk.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

uuuuuuuuuuuuuh so I killed a spider and now the crossroads is hosed UP

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

tithin posted:

uuuuuuuuuuuuuh so I killed a spider and now the crossroads is hosed UP

Good job, hero.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Can't make an omelet without unleashing a scourge of death and disease

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The infection does look like it would make a pretty decent omelette

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Spergatory posted:

Just wanted everyone here to know that the spin attack is deceptively awesome.

1. You actually extend the spin time and number of strikes by repeatedly tapping the sword button, something the game does not tell you for some reason.

WHAT

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i've found if you've got enough time and room to maneuver to hit an enemy with a full set of spin attack hits without getting whomped in return the enemy generally isn't dangerous enough to warrant using the full spin attack

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

addendum that if you're damage racing and getting whomped is part and parcel of your strategy then quick slash and fragile strength is more effective at accomplishing that. it leaves the spin in kind of a weird place.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Yeah but that's because quick slash and fragile strength are very strong individually and loving broken when combined (though these things are also consequences of nail upgrades being so strong)

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
Is it explained what actually causes the infection? Besides the need for an increase in difficulty :)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

cosmin posted:

Is it explained what actually causes the infection? Besides the need for an increase in difficulty :)

Yes, to the extent anything is explained.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If you’re asking what triggers the infected crossroads, it’s destroying one of the three seals or beating Broken Vessel in Ancient Basin iirc

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

cosmin posted:

It depends. There are two NPCs who essentially explain the entire plot to you but they can be entirely skipped. If you beat the game and are still unsure wtf is going on then: look for Bardoon in Kingdom's Edge and exhaust the dialogue with the Seer Moth by fully upgrading your dream nail

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If you want a more lore based explanation (with spoilers) it's

If you kill the Broken Vessel all the infection spreading creatures from that area of the Ancient Basin and spread it in the Crossroads. If you kill a Dreamer the seal on the Hollow Knight weakens and allows more infection to spread from Black Egg Temple.

Two different potential causes with the same outcome.

edit This is specifically about the infection in the Crossroads.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

addendum that if you're damage racing and getting whomped is part and parcel of your strategy then quick slash and fragile strength is more effective at accomplishing that. it leaves the spin in kind of a weird place.

Counterpoint; Quick Splash plus Fragile Strength requires six charm notches. Nailmaster's Glory requires only one! It's the biggest reason I like it so much; careful use of nail arts can give you a lot of the benefits of the quick slash, range, and strength charms without taking up nearly as much space on your belt.

Spin attack is also really helpful in the Coliseum. Most things that can't be killed with a single charged slash will bow to an extended spin attack.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Finally managed to do Radiance. Takes me a long time to actually get enough memorisation to do bosses but I'm glad I managed to do it. IIRC I used shaman stone, soul mirror, quick slash and quick focus and it worked pretty well. I was on three life when I got to the ascent and got clipped once during it, and my hands were literally shaking when I jumped up and managed to get the Radiance. On my to do list currently: do NKG, path of pain, do the dream bosses (all apart from white defender) and trial of fools. Fifty hours played but it was worth it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Finally managed to do Radiance. Takes me a long time to actually get enough memorisation to do bosses but I'm glad I managed to do it. IIRC I used shaman stone, soul mirror, quick slash and quick focus and it worked pretty well. I was on three life when I got to the ascent and got clipped once during it, and my hands were literally shaking when I jumped up and managed to get the Radiance. On my to do list currently: do NKG, path of pain, do the dream bosses (all apart from white defender) and trial of fools. Fifty hours played but it was worth it.

What do you have against White Defender?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Arrhythmia posted:

What do you have against White Defender?
I’ve beaten him already

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I’m so loving tired of running up against the Watcher Knight wall. This is the first boss encounter in the game to basically have me trying 50+ times. I just can’t manage to do the “dodge the ground rolling guy and the bouncing guy” tango.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Feenix posted:

I’m so loving tired of running up against the Watcher Knight wall. This is the first boss encounter in the game to basically have me trying 50+ times. I just can’t manage to do the “dodge the ground rolling guy and the bouncing guy” tango.

Come back later. There's so much other stuff you can do and by the time you roll back through with some upgrades he'll be no problem. I hit the wall with him too and wandered off and didn't find myself coming back for hours.

You want something really lovely? I attempted the fragile flower thing tonight and hosed it up IN THE FINAL ROOM. FUUUUUCK