Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I like to play pokémon blind, because seeing new pokémon for the first time in-game outweighs the hassle of having to google evolution methods and the occasional looking up of a pokémon I just can't find. The first time I encountered an Alolan Dugtrio made it all worth it.

Sometimes it leads to disappointment, like the first time I evolved my Sliggoo, and sometimes I break the rules, like looking up how to catch a Mareanie before ever seeing one, but on the whole, it's part of what makes the games fun for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I like to play pokémon blind, because seeing new pokémon for the first time in-game outweighs the hassle of having to google evolution methods and the occasional looking up of a pokémon I just can't find. The first time I encountered an Alolan Dugtrio made it all worth it.

Sometimes it leads to disappointment, like the first time I evolved my Sliggoo, and sometimes I break the rules, like looking up how to catch a Mareanie before ever seeing one, but on the whole, it's part of what makes the games fun for me.

Playing blind is the way to go and that's why Dexnav was the most amazing thing - being able to know if I found all the Pokes on a route without ruining the suprise of what was possible to find was the best. I really wish they enable something like that for the next game. Not Let's Go Games, cause I know the Kanto encounter rates by heart at this point :v:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Solumin posted:

God, extremely this. I was hoping to find an action replay code or something to make them infinite use. No such luck.

You should be able to set the quantity to 99 or something, which is effectively infinite use. That's how I used to do it back in the Gameshark days.

Personally I can't go back to any game without reuseable TMs. I'd love a Platinum remake. I would never touch Gen 4 again outside of that.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

MightyPretenders posted:

Cut is competitive when you first get it, but it's the inability to replace it easily that makes it crippling long-term.
Fly is relatively powerful, but bad in multiplayer.
Surf has always been amazing.
Strength has the same problems as Cut, just later in the game.
Flash is outclassed in its niche by Double Team.
Whirlpool has a unique niche among TMs, it's just not a valued niche.
Waterfall was an outclassed signature move before becoming an outclassed HM. Now it's different enough to be worth using.
Rock Smash went from being an earlygame tm you got too late, to having Cut's problems instead.
Dive has the same battle niche as Fly, and so the same problems.
Defog was basically the same as Flash - but less useful in battle.. But in the new meta, it's suddenly very valuable.
Rock Climb has a cool concept - an easily available Normal move that can cause confusion. Trouble is, they balanced it against Strength instead of Return.

Personally, I think they should all become TMs.

Toying around to make a hard mode of FRLG I replaced the function of certain TMs as follows:

- Cut was a Steel-type high critical hit move with perfect accuracy and 50BP
- Strength was unchanged except for becoming Fighting-type
- Flash was a 60BP Electric-type move with a chance to drop accuracy

It made the moves much more solid and I think Game Freak should do what I did.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm headed out to Target, does anyone else need any codes?

Lemon Head
Nov 6, 2010

oddium posted:

here's a bunch of entei/raikou:

A8Z984QUXFDLWKRY

Took this one. Thanks!

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Solumin posted:

God, extremely this. I was hoping to find an action replay code or something to make them infinite use. No such luck.

Re: HMs, I've been dropping all of mine onto my Bibarel to keep em from clogging up the rest of my team and it's worked pretty well so far.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Yeah, that way the other 5 Bibarel on one's team can use other moves.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

You should be able to set the quantity to 99 or something, which is effectively infinite use. That's how I used to do it back in the Gameshark days.

Personally I can't go back to any game without reuseable TMs. I'd love a Platinum remake. I would never touch Gen 4 again outside of that.

Yeah, good point! Should be easy enough to do, there's plenty of save editors out there. Setting my emulator to 200% speed helps smooth out the gameplay, too.

Jim the Nickel posted:

Re: HMs, I've been dropping all of mine onto my Bibarel to keep em from clogging up the rest of my team and it's worked pretty well so far.

I'd rather use 6 Pokemon I've never used before. I guess an HM mule would be easier though.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Pokemon is an easy enough game that you can just spread HM use across the team with little effort, though you might as well keep a mule until you get a full team. Preferably with Pickup. And there are some HMs you only use like twice in the entire game like Defog and Flash, so no point putting them on your team, just be a team member short for that area, you'll survive. Since I don't really mind them that much, Sinnoh is still my favourite region and some of the HM exploration adds to that.

However, them being useless moves for the most part and not coming up with a better system after all these years does suck, as does limiting team building, which is much harder in some games.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Crosspeice posted:

Pokemon is an easy enough game that you can just spread HM use across the team with little effort, though you might as well keep a mule until you get a full team. Preferably with Pickup. And there are some HMs you only use like twice in the entire game like Defog and Flash, so no point putting them on your team, just be a team member short for that area, you'll survive. Since I don't really mind them that much, Sinnoh is still my favourite region and some of the HM exploration adds to that.

However, them being useless moves for the most part and not coming up with a better system after all these years does suck, as does limiting team building, which is much harder in some games.

They uh did come up with a better system. Ride Pokemon.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I don't think I've had Flash since my first play through of Sapphire. I'd rather stumble my way through the caves.

At least save editors make it easy to handle removing HMs. I just don't like being forced to compromise on which Pokemon I use and what movesets they have.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Zore posted:

They uh did come up with a better system. Ride Pokemon.

I feel like they mostly sidestepped the issue and might not be something they use in future games, Let's Go won't have it, we've already seen Cut trees and the like. Ride Pokemon also had its problems, the lack of a bond with the Ride Pokemon, kicking Surf and Waterfall to postgame TMs and hooking the drat Itemfinder to it in a worse way to Gen 5+'s set and forget. Still, it opened up better teambuilding and meant the lovely HMs no one cared about just disappeared and didn't hog TM slots, which is fantastic.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

iospace posted:

I'm headed out to Target, does anyone else need any codes?

I'm assuming you left long ago but I still have not managed to make it to Target yet this month.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Crosspeice posted:

I feel like they mostly sidestepped the issue and might not be something they use in future games, Let's Go won't have it, we've already seen Cut trees and the like. Ride Pokemon also had its problems, the lack of a bond with the Ride Pokemon, kicking Surf and Waterfall to postgame TMs and hooking the drat Itemfinder to it in a worse way to Gen 5+'s set and forget. Still, it opened up better teambuilding and meant the lovely HMs no one cared about just disappeared and didn't hog TM slots, which is fantastic.

Kicking random good TMs to the post game happens every gen. Surf and Waterfall being there had nothing to do with Ride mons.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rick posted:

I'm assuming you left long ago but I still have not managed to make it to Target yet this month.

Check your PMs.

Also, finally made it to the volcano. Say to myself, "Time to find a Cubone."

First encounter.

Now I'm all "Well, time to swipe the bone off the totem and... ok it already has one. Well then."

:psyduck:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

iospace posted:

Check your PMs.

First encounter.

Now I'm all "Well, time to swipe the bone off the totem and... ok it already has one. Well then."

You did a good thing. You'll get a Zygarde code shortly.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'd like a code if someone out there still has one and is feeling charitable

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Carlosologist posted:

I'd like a code if someone out there still has one and is feeling charitable

For which? To get one of the three remaining Aquafresh Dragons, you gotta hook a needy goon up with a trade. Iospace running out and getting a code was close enough.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Help I'm addicted to wonder trades

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace posted:

I have three codes to hand out:

Thundurus/Tornadus:

A842S6L6D6MXQENR

A842S6J8T8Z7NREN

Entei/Raikou:

A8Z9HUAP446RYUJW

If you take one, please mark off which one you took AND draw your least favorite starter and post it for us :buddy:

One code taken off the board, I'll stop by the target tomorrow again if people want them.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

iospace posted:

Check your PMs.

First encounter.

I've had this happen to me, and I immediately took a long break from the game after that. The next time I came back to the game I forgot about that and spent the next 20 hours looking for another one and a female salandit. I just kept chucking quick balls and checking the stats of every one I caught too :v:
At least I got a lot of wonder trade fodder out of this. I figures that if I'm spending so much time there I'm gonna also catch the male lizards and WT them away with silly names.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Kikas posted:

I've had this happen to me, and I immediately took a long break from the game after that. The next time I came back to the game I forgot about that and spent the next 20 hours looking for another one and a female salandit. I just kept chucking quick balls and checking the stats of every one I caught too :v:
At least I got a lot of wonder trade fodder out of this. I figures that if I'm spending so much time there I'm gonna also catch the male lizards and WT them away with silly names.

I remember spending yonks trying to hatch a female Salandit. Turns out, having a male with Cute Charm at the front of my party would've made getting a female Salandit quick work. :sigh:

My most infuriating waste of time, though was spending literal months hunting for a Taillow on Kalos Route 8 before learning that Sweet Scent could spawn hordes at will.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The very first Salandit I encountered in Sun was a Timid female. I was quite lucky.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

US THUNDURUS/TORNADUS CODES

A8434NHU3QZWDDS7

A8434P3EPYT7NQT2

A8434NLMJEFNNREZ

A8434NPT2L75N7LP

A8434NPHCHWYK2HD

A8434NNN8DZQ2RQ5

You know, I wish the americas got more interesting event pokemon. July would have been the perfect month to roll out some Braviary with Celebrate or Bibarel with Hold Back. Legendaries are kinda boring imho.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Aristide posted:

You know, I wish the americas got more interesting event pokemon. July would have been the perfect month to roll out some Braviary with Celebrate or Bibarel with Hold Back. Legendaries are kinda boring imho.

I see what you did there. :canada:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Aristide posted:

yeah it would be nice but 2018 is specifically legendary year

quote:

2018 Will Be Legendary!
Join a yearlong event featuring Legendary Pokémon, including Pokémon distributions, activities, and more.
It's going to be a huge year for Pokémon, and there's no better way to celebrate it than with Legendary Pokémon! They're some of the most powerful and well-known Pokémon of all, so throughout 2018, we'll be offering ways to add Legendary Pokémon to your game. We're also going to showcase special Pokémon TCG products and other fun stuff. We're looking for legendary Trainers, too! Share your special Legendary Pokémon thoughts and memories using the hashtag #BeLegendary to potentially be selected to appear in our social media gallery.

Visit the official 2018 Legendary Pokémon site regularly for more Legendary fun. Be sure to also visit Pokémon TV to watch movies, episodes, and special features highlighting Legendary Pokémon all year long!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

wait how is that any different from usual

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Johnny Joestar posted:

wait how is that any different from usual

As opposed to the year of Mythicals, when they passed out an event-only pokemon every month.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

My point is that the vast majority of event pokemon have always been legendary/mythical which is OK and good for newer players but is uninspiring to people who can go back a gen or two and get the bulk of them that way.
But I understand if I'm alone in my preference of gimmick pokemon with dumb moves. I did just spend a day breeding a Squirtle with Confusion.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I... buh... why confusion of all things?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
this is so pure

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

BlazetheInferno posted:

I... buh... why confusion of all things?
Well, it's worked on you ;).

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

That picture reminds me that pokemon sizes are so weird, rarely what I'd expect. Like I just recently learned nidoking is actually smaller than a child.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Surely Nidoking is giganti-

bulbapedia posted:

1.4m

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nidoking is shorter than Danny DeVito.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Pokeshopper/status/1022457033839333377

Well, this should cause great disappointment when it's revealed to be Pikachu
Or everyone's favorite: Jigglypuff seen from above

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
It’s orange so Fighting-type, welcome to the family Bludgeon.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

less laughter posted:

It’s orange so Fighting-type, welcome to the family Bludgeon.

It's the same as the first eevee, so might remain normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Oh right. In that case, welcome to the family Ordinareon.