Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Having seen the first movie and knowing some spoilers it does actually make a notable difference in w couple ways. Shirley is alive, for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Rodyle posted:

Having seen the first movie and knowing some spoilers it does actually make a notable difference in w couple ways. Shirley is alive, for one.

True, but it didn't change the final outcome in practice. I don't think we can say whether that is going to truly matter until whatever comes next happens.

They have set up some room for future developments yet didn't seem to lean on the so-called cart driver theory. The new epilogue apparently provides more questions than answers.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Well it was NEVER going to be the cart driver, funny though that would be, but they've definitely seeded those movies with stuff, like new, unidentified royals.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Rodyle posted:

Thats amazing, but Gino and Viletta still dont get axed do they?

still, glad Shirley actually survives to the end, her dad still died though didnt he?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Thats amazing, but Gino and Viletta still dont get axed do they?

still, glad Shirley actually survives to the end, her dad still died though didnt he?

The first movie ends with breaking Todoh out, so I dunno how the S1/R2 "transition" is handled but no Gino isn't cut. Nor is Viletta, although her story is altered. Since Mao doesn't exist and Shirley doesn't get caught up in the BK stuff, she's instead tricked into a meeting with Diethard at the docks. He then gutshots her, steals all her Lelouch evidence and shreds it to hide Zero's identity.

I'll probably watch movie 2 tomorrow or the day after so I'll be able to say more on that.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 25, 2018

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I guess I was more hoping they get killed but at least viletta is handled a lot better in general.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I guess I was more hoping they get killed but at least viletta is handled a lot better in general.

Viletta spends most of the series as basically a victim, so it's kind of messed up to want her killed.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 25, 2018

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

chumbler posted:

Viletta spends most of the series as basically a victim, so it's kind of messed up that to want her killed.

Can I still say that Ohgi sucks and it's bullshit that he ended up as prime minister?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

We live in an age where worse people have become the leaders of actual countries, so I will just shrug. Supposedly the third movie makes Ohgi come across somewhat better than in the original series though. I am not sure if the changes happen during or after the betrayal sequence, but people say he and the others are more regretful and hesitant about it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

thing least number of people will care about : in the film TL, the Zevon family (and thus presumably the Pluton organization) made the Gawain

e: aaaaaaaaaand at the 38 Minute Mark it's the "Still Can't Walk This One Back 12 Years Later" moment!

e2: okay so instead of changing the memory wipe/r2 changeover stuff, they have a whole new interlude segment that adds some background stuff (and very briefly references the end of Akito), then proceed to uh.... like cut the first 5-6 episode of R2 to bits with a meat cleaver

e3: first 9 episodes? It's just going and going folks, at the speed of light!

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 26, 2018

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

OKAY SO THIS IS KIND OF A DULL RECAP MOVIE FOR THE FIRST HALF THEN GOES 8 WAYS BANANAS THERE'S A loving SAYOKO V SUZAKU FIGHT

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Rodyle posted:

e: aaaaaaaaaand at the 38 Minute Mark it's the "Still Can't Walk This One Back 12 Years Later" moment!

What moment is that, I haven't caught the show in awhile so I don't know for sure. I mean, there are a few candidates in this messed-up show, I'd just like to know which you're referring to.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

NowonSA posted:

What moment is that, I haven't caught the show in awhile so I don't know for sure. I mean, there are a few candidates in this messed-up show, I'd just like to know which you're referring to.

Of course frankly I think all of us have seen this thing shopped so many times that when this exact shot showed up I just laughed. Also quite hilarious: Jeremiah just tells Shirley to get out of the movie.

So yeah the total area covered is S1 18-R2 16 it's crazy

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 26, 2018

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

The beginning and arguably up to about half of R2 is redundant as hell. It has some nice moments, but I think it was smart to cut those episodes out of the movie and replace them with more new scenes. All you need to know from the show is that Zero rebuilt his forces and is back in business.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean it's more like it's the perfect example of why compilation movies are dumb ideas.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Writing the China arc and the majority of Karen being in jail would be big improvements.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Rodyle posted:

I mean it's more like it's the perfect example of why compilation movies are dumb ideas.

Eh, it's a standard industry practice and a reasonably justifiable one in this case. You don't miss out on what is truly important in terms of the big picture. If anything, Suzaku is easier to understand when you see more of his point of view. Also, less Rolo.

Especially since the whole time slot change issue that led to R2 wasting so much time was, in my opinion, the true mother of dumb ideas. Few things could be worse than that.

Movies one and three are the ones with the better content so it makes sense to give those events more breathing room and compress the middle.

wielder fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 26, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rodyle posted:

Cutting out huge swathes of early R2 is almost assuredly a strict improvement because early R2 was extremely redundant and basically stalled out the story right at a climax cliffhanger.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Ah, I didn't know something had been giffed/photoshopped up to gain notoriety. What immediately came to mind was Kallen almost getting dosed with Refrain by Suzaku because boy was that a bad look, and that seems like something you'd want to walk back, but I guess that's not quite 12 years.

That stadium massacre was one hell of a turning point for the show, to me right before Euphemia gets hit with a Geass the last moment where Lelouch could have accepted being beaten and followed someone else's path, and it also really kicked the story hard into the last act of the first season. Thinking about it again also gives me more respect for Lelouch's charisma, even if he used to be his best friend turning Suzaku to his side after he got Euphemia killed in a total nightmare scenario for her, on top of the mountains of bodies and shady stuff Lelouch did along the way, is pretty amazing even if Suzaku was getting fed up with the Knight life.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

chumbler posted:

Writing the China arc and the majority of Karen being in jail would be big improvements.

Kanos posted:

Cutting out huge swathes of early R2 is almost assuredly a strict improvement because early R2 was extremely redundant and basically stalled out the story right at a climax cliffhanger.

This is the weird thing, very little of that is actually gone. The S1 finale, the mindwipe, the school and Rolo, all of that still happens, it's just the middle of the movie and a much of it is changed to Suzaku getting reports on things rather than being at them. You're almost literally treated to the direct sequence of, Viletta and Rolo explaining the school to Suzaku, Suzaku says he's going to Europe, the Zero Returns broadcast, Suzaku thinking about them going to China, Suzaku thinking about them conquering China, and then Kallen and Nunally in jail.

It's a very weird and nearly incomprehensible chop job.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Rodyle posted:

This is the weird thing, very little of that is actually gone. The S1 finale, the mindwipe, the school and Rolo, all of that still happens, it's just the middle of the movie and a much of it is changed to Suzaku getting reports on things rather than being at them.

A lot of that material is objectively gone from the footage. It still happens within the universe itself, but the shift in perspective means the audience doesn't physically need to sit through all of that. Which is good, on balance, despite some of the cuts being admittedly heavy-handed in technical terms.

The S1 cliffhanger is immediately resolved and you get brief explanations from the Britannian side that were missing from the show instead of having to first follow Lelouch around. It does mean there is a rush in order to save time and you can miss out on details that are only referenced in the dialogue, but I don't think it is incomprehensible. It's a summary.

From my point of view, I think this approach is not entirely ideal but still arguably the lesser evil.

wielder fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 26, 2018

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

They kept china's stupid bullshit in?

That was like the big area to fix in R2. But then again after season 1 it seems like they hardcore tried to push Kallen out of the picture as much as possible, did they not like her for merchandising or did they think that more than three main characters was too many?

chumbler posted:

Viletta spends most of the series as basically a victim, so it's kind of messed up to want her killed.

Yeah nah, she hosed shirley over hardcore and essentially was the catalyst for her getting killed so its fair, gently caress her. That's why i'm at least happy they made her less of a bitch by not having her try to hurt a high school girl just so she could get up a few ranks in society.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

RMZXAnarchy posted:

That was like the big area to fix in R2. But then again after season 1 it seems like they hardcore tried to push Kallen out of the picture as much as possible, did they not like her for merchandising or did they think that more than three main characters was too many?

Yeah nah, she hosed shirley over hardcore and essentially was the catalyst for her getting killed so its fair, gently caress her. That's why i'm at least happy they made her less of a bitch by not having her try to hurt a high school girl just so she could get up a few ranks in society.

I thought Kallen was pushed out because she was one of the few characters that haven't regressed in R2 and they couldn't fast forward her character arc at the start.

(And afterwards there was the whole theme of isolating Lelouch so he can make worse and worse decisions, and Kallen stood in the way of that).

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I dunno, if her just leaving Lelouch to Captain Quisling is any indication Kallen could help a lot with making bad decisions.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Latest news: there will be an "important announcement" on August 3rd about Lelouch of the Resurrection.

It seems they'll show a three minute trailer in a couple of public places in Japan, so expect footage from that.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

No, not really. What Rodyle mentioned wasn't sufficiently clear. Almost literally nothing from those episodes was included in the film. None of the R2 China shenanigans are shown to the audience, so it would be misleading to reach that conclusion.

If anything, the only significant (?) China-related content is a new scene where Xingke appears for like five seconds on a monitor to show that they already supported the Black Knights during the last stages of the S1 uprising. Which means that yes, China is part of the universe and is giving aid to the rebels, but once again...the whole 3-4 episode side trip doesn't happen.

By the way...we are told that Kallen was captured by the Britannians, but it's not explicitly tied to the China events.

SITB posted:

(And afterwards there was the whole theme of isolating Lelouch so he can make worse and worse decisions, and Kallen stood in the way of that).

That's definitely the larger point. Not that I liked it, but the second half of R2 is all about finding ways to remove most of Lelouch's allies from the picture. Furthermore, I imagine she probably wouldn't immediately support the idea of the Zero Requiem on paper and they also needed her to be on the opposite side to fight Suzaku as part of the plan.

Rodyle posted:

I dunno, if her just leaving Lelouch to Captain Quisling is any indication Kallen could help a lot with making bad decisions.

I wouldn't blame someone for situations where Lelouch either provoked her or pushed her away.

wielder fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 27, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
She would’ve gone along with the Zero Requiem and suffered for it, that was 100% why Lelouch pushed her away.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

She would’ve gone along with the Zero Requiem and suffered for it, that was 100% why Lelouch pushed her away.

I think the point is she might have joined or at least not opposed Lelouch and Suzaku if they explained that their intentions were secretly good all along, but if Kallen had been in a position to actually discuss the plan with them...I don't think the idea of having Lelouch die, one way or another, would be easy to accept. She'd be too emotionally invested.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm talking about the kamine showdown, not the ZR.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Rodyle posted:

I'm talking about the kamine showdown, not the ZR.

I mean, that more or less went down like this:

"Oh, Kallen. I didn't see you there. Hello, I'm the classmate that lied to you about my identity and so on for the past few months. No, I am not going to explain anything right now. Screw that. Japan will be freed, either way, so you don't get to complain. Also, let me talk to Suzaku...if you don't join me, I'll use this bomb to blow up the whole temple and all three of us will die!"

EDIT: VVVVVV Nah, he's talking about the island confrontation with Suzaku at the end of S1.

wielder fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 27, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Was that Ougi you’re talking about?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Here's the complete new announcement (you can also skip to the new PV near the end):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaPn-UEjiTY

Lelouch of the Resurrection is a movie and it will be shown in February 2019...for the Japanese, at least.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Wait I thought Re:surrection was supposed to a full on 3rd season?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

There's not a lot to say about the PV itself, because it is so short, but I like C.C.'s outfit and the animation looks good. The backgrounds are pretty too. The new character seems to be a strange person. No idea what he is, other than someone Geass-related, I'd bet.

Eddain posted:

Wait I thought Re:surrection was supposed to a full on 3rd season?

Some of us had initially assumed that it was a TV series, but Sunrise never confirmed it one way or another. I do believe they said that the format had not been decided, when the announcement of Resurrection came out back in 2016.

If I had to speculate, they might feel it's safer to make a movie under current market conditions. A lot of properties are taking that approach these days. Right now, they're saying the film will stand on its own. Beyond that, who can say? I wouldn't be surprised if there's been at least some behind-the-scenes talk among the production staff of something else coming up.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

wielder posted:

There's not a lot to say about the PV itself, because it is so short, but I like C.C.'s outfit and the animation looks good. The backgrounds are pretty too. The new character seems to be a strange person. No idea what he is, other than someone Geass-related, I'd bet.

Some of us had initially assumed that it was a TV series, but Sunrise never confirmed it one way or another. I do believe they said that the format had not been decided, when the announcement of Resurrection came out back in 2016.

If I had to speculate, they might feel it's safer to make a movie under current market conditions. A lot of properties are taking that approach these days. Right now, they're saying the film will stand on its own. Beyond that, who can say? I wouldn't be surprised if there's been at least some behind-the-scenes talk among the production staff of something else coming up.

I believe that also some of the key staff members are busy with other projects this year and next year. This makes it really hard for this to be a tv anime unless it airs in 2020.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I get the vibe a movie will simply be too short to really satisfy.

Like, I guarantee Lelouch won't come back until near the end or something and we'll have an hour or so of exposition, and then it'll be over before it even really gets started, or it'll be a drat trilogy/quadrilogy.

And that's not even getting started on how poorly films are handled in terms of getting them stateside. At least with TV series we get them somewhat quickly after they air but films mean we have to wait for Home video just to even get a drat fansub.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 11, 2018

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I get the vibe a movie will simply be too short to really satisfy.

Like, I guarantee Lelouch won't come back until near the end or something and we'll have an hour or so of exposition, and then it'll be over before it even really gets started, or it'll be a drat trilogy/quadrilogy.

And that's not even getting started on how poorly films are handled in terms of getting them stateside. At least with TV series we get them somewhat quickly after they air but films mean we have to wait for Home video just to even get a drat fansub.

It's only one film, not a trilogy, but I doubt that Code Geass will end with this movie. Unless it becomes a massive commercial flop in Japan, which is unlikely given the success of the recent compilations, they are going to leave some room for additional expansion. We're already seeing a merchandise push over there.

Funimation is presumably busy trying to bring the English voice actors back to schedule their recordings and waiting for the Japanese release of movie 3 on BD/DVD, which is happening next month. Once that's out of the way, I think we'll get an announcement.

If you ask me, the movie is likely going to run for about two hours. Maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. There should be enough time for action, both mecha-related and otherwise, to keep things exciting along the way. Not to mention that the detailed backgrounds and animation glimpses in the new trailer suggest they're treating this like a full-length movie.

Okouchi's scripts can sometimes feel dense in terms of the amount of information but he isn't the sort of person who would write a straight hour of exposition between talking heads without taking any breaks. Honestly, the man is an entertainer and even his weakest episodes are still fun to watch.

They do need to address the overall status quo and the fate of our familiar cast of characters, plus what's the deal with any new person(s) of importance, yet some of that can be shown rather than told. I'd expect to see several of the less relevant individuals in small cameo appearances and not lengthy speaking parts (sorry Rivalz!).

About Lelouch himself...it's possible he might show up earlier than you're imagining, but that depends on what's going to be his new role and purpose after his return. Technically he's still the protagonist yet they could easily get away with playing around with the audience's expectations for a while. I don't think it'll only be a literal last minute return though.

wielder fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 11, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

A movie to set up a full series later works for me. The ending of the series with "All the hate was directed on Lelouch so no more war forever" was way too optimistic, I can see that falling apart pretty quickly with how many full-on countries were oppressed for years by Brittania, that kind of resentment doesn't disappear overnight just because a new Brittanian got into power and started threatening everyone with a superweapon.

What's interesting to me is what Lelouch would do to try to fix those problems when him being revealed as alive seems to just do more to shatter whatever peace he created. I guess masquerade as Zero since he turned Zero into the hero who killed him?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Considering that there's plenty of Movie franchises that take a long time to release (Fate, Digimon, evangelion, Persona) I don't see why it can't stay as a movie format.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Tae posted:

Considering that there's plenty of Movie franchises that take a long time to release (Fate, Digimon, evangelion, Persona) I don't see why it can't stay as a movie format.

Again, movies take way too loving long between Japanese domestic and US release. Its not a big issue if its subtitled but if something's going to get a dub (Like Code Geass) it just languishes without any solid word for ages. I don't know how Japan could make films a little less painful to wait for, outside of them figuring out some sort of simuldub situation, but then there's the whole issue of theaters in the US simply not liking anime movies and half the country still misses the chance to see it until a year or two later.

Also Eva 3.33's release was the most bungled loving thing in recent history and that's partially why this whole situation is a bit worrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I wouldn't call 3.33 recent anymore really?

I think the HeroAca movie is getting a month's delay or something between JP and US releases.