Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

When you find yourself listing the ways you're better than Assad it's time to stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kim Jong Il posted:

You can also look up what Hamas did in 1996, when peace was arguably at hand, and Hamas worked really hard to elect Netanyahu over Peres with their bombing campaign. That directly led to Netanyahu gutting Oslo. They are right wing ethnonationalists who benefit the most from Gaza being in misery and permanent war.

The only reason there was even an election in the first place was because the pro-peace Prime Minister was assassinated by right-wing extremists for signing a peace deal, which directly led to Netanyahu gutting Oslo, because Israeli right-wing ethnonationalists are the ones who benefit the most (by far) from Gaza being in misery and permanent war. Putting the blame for Israel's deliberate undermining of the Oslo Accords on Hamas is downright ridiculous. Why is it that Israel is never responsible for its own actions?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
There isn't even a drop of good faith in him, ignore him completely.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Grape posted:

There isn't even a drop of good faith in him, ignore him completely.

I like to highlight all the historical events he leaves out of his narrative, for the sake of everyone else reading the thread. For example, in addition to the assassination of Yitzhak Rabin, he also failed to mention Peres' extremely unsuccessful invasion of Lebanon a month before voting day.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Even if Hamas deliberately got Netenyahu elected, he's not literally Assad so it's obviously fine

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

FlamingLiberal posted:

One Palestinian woman activist who was interviewed on Chapo Trap House recently said that she believes the only path forward is a one-state solution and that a two-state solution is effectively impossible now thanks to the settlements. I had not previously agreed with that point but she makes a strong case that even if you had an agreement right now, you could not build a viable Palestinian state.
This is increasingly how I've felt (been resigned to) over the last couple of years. It's not that I particularly favor a one-state solution, it just seems like a one-state solution is acknowledging what the de facto reality already looks like. The West Bank looks like a piece of swiss cheese, the settlements are continuing to grow and expand, the US embassy moving to Jerusalem has broken the polite pretense of outside help and support for the two-state solution, and members of Likud and other parties are making noises about annexing Area C, enough to put the idea into decidedly non-fringe territory.

There's also the annexation precedent in the Golan Heights, which is what I think the eventual annexation of Area C (and much longer term, the West Bank as a whole) might look like: annex the territory and offer residents of the area Israeli citizenship, knowing relatively few will accept the offer in the short term. As time goes on though, younger generations slowly start to apply for Israeli citizenship in greater numbers, in the interest of better job and travel prospects. This attitude is already starting to happen right now in East Jerusalem:

https://972mag.com/east-jerusalem-palestinians-are-ready-to-take-back-their-city/136186/

quote:

Much has been written on the “Israelization” of Palestinians in Jerusalem. More young people are getting their Israeli matriculation certificates.

There is a change taking place, but it is not so significant. I hear that more Palestinians are studying in public high schools and are taking Israeli matriculation exams, but the Palestinian universities do not accept this certificate, which means they are in a bind. There is also the strengthening of relations between Arabs from East Jerusalem and Arabs in Israel, including weddings. These relations can be part of the general process of moving toward one state.

This is Abu Ziyad’s central point: moving toward one state, he believes, can also solve the problem of the Palestinians in East Jerusalem. “If there were a Palestinian decision to abandon the two-state idea and call for annexing the West Bank and for one state, then participating in the Jerusalem elections would be logical,” he says. “I personally believe that there is no chance for two states, and there is no option but to move toward one state. Yes, the interim situation will be apartheid. But this is the legal situation today anyway. But as long as this political decision has not been made, participating in the elections will be a political mistake. Israel is trying to do everything it can to turn Jerusalem into a Jewish city — not even an Israeli city.

Dr. Omar Yousef, who teaches urban studies at Al Quds University, agrees with Abu Ziyad when it comes to boycotting the elections, but he places a greater emphasis on the changes taking place in the city, especially among young people. “The historical approach of boycotting the elections has not changed,” says Yousef. “But on a personal level, people are far more easygoing about the idea of applying for an Israeli passport. They even view it as a way of resistance. I heard people in taxis saying, ‘I received an Israeli passport, and my cousin applied for one as well.’”

Yousef describes an exercise he gave to one of his classes. “I asked the students if they were willing to take an Israeli passport. We were surprised by the responses. A few students associated with Fatah said that anyone who takes an Israeli passport is a heretic. Those associated with Islamist groups said that there is no difference between their current blue IDs and Israeli citizenship. ‘If I receive Israeli citizenship, I will be able to live where I want. In the West Bank, abroad, or Jerusalem, and nobody will be able to take away my residency,’ one of the students told me.”
That last bolded part, that's the key right there. People just want to live their lives, even if it means doing what was once unthinkable, and accepting Israeli citizenship.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Is KJI seriously going to argue that the settlements are illegal under Israeli law? If they aren't willing to enforce that law under any circumstances then it really isn't illegal.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Main Paineframe posted:

The only reason there was even an election in the first place was because the pro-peace Prime Minister was assassinated by right-wing extremists for signing a peace deal, which directly led to Netanyahu gutting Oslo, because Israeli right-wing ethnonationalists are the ones who benefit the most (by far) from Gaza being in misery and permanent war. Putting the blame for Israel's deliberate undermining of the Oslo Accords on Hamas is downright ridiculous. Why is it that Israel is never responsible for its own actions?

I also want to point out that even the "pro-peace" Prime Minister believed that the settlements were necessary.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/kann_news/status/1022340405059375104?s=19

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

zapplez posted:

The current status quo is incredibly hosed. Maybe I am way too naive about things but I actually think peace is possible (god, i hope so) and neither sides are helping. Of course one is more accountable because of the power disparity, but there is more than enough bloodshed to feel sick by actions of both sides at times.

The problem you, and many others with similar views, have is that you're acting like both sides are responsible, or at are comparable in some manner. This is not the case. Israel is fully responsible for peace not happening, period. There is no middle ground here, any more than "well some slaves did bad things" was an argument against ending American chattel slavery.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 26, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

There is no middle ground here, any more than "well some slaves did bad things" was an argument against ending American chattel slavery.

but whatabout

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
No ones going to mention how Bibi literally threw out a "Hitler did nothing wrong"

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Your Parents posted:

No ones going to mention how Bibi literally threw out a "Hitler did nothing wrong"

In 2015. We've been over this already.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Miftan posted:

In 2015. We've been over this already.

So it's good that Israel has had a holocaust denier and Nazi in charge for years?

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
He should have been ousted then, and it's sickening that he isn't and still has support. He could wear the uniform and give the salute with an actual swastika behind him and people itt and in real life would still defend him, Likud party members would still cheer him

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Your Parents posted:

So it's good that Israel has had a holocaust denier and Nazi in charge for years?

He's done a lot more since and tbh nothing surprises him about me anymore.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Your Parents posted:

No one has said that.

It's pretty hosed up yeah but it's been and gone.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Your Parents posted:

It's terrible, but noone will do anything.

This has been your update on the state of the world.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Your Parents posted:

He should have been ousted then, and it's sickening that he isn't and still has support. He could wear the uniform and give the salute with an actual swastika behind him and people itt and in real life would still defend him, Likud party members would still cheer him

I don't think a single person in this thread has ever defended Bibi. Not even KJI has gone so far. We all know he's terrible, and defending Hitler is honestly real low on the list of reasons to dog on him.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

kidkissinger posted:

Is KJI seriously going to argue that the settlements are illegal under Israeli law? If they aren't willing to enforce that law under any circumstances then it really isn't illegal.

That's not what I meant. The large settlement blocs are legal *under Israeli law*, and most of them Israel will likely keep the bulk of them in any deal via land swaps. Hopefully not Ariel though. I'm talking about the random outposts which are a handful of people in trailers that an overwhelming majority of Israelis despise.

When you look at this map - while indeed that's the extent of what's happened, the overwhelming majority of the landmass are temporary structures that are easily destroyed and withdrawn from. The actual reality of permanent Israeli settlement looks more like the concrete proposals they have made to the Palestinians, like this:

Obv. there are other issues like Israel wanting to maintain a presence in the Jordan Valley, which I oppose.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

gently caress off.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What do the tweets say?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Kim Jong Il posted:

That's not what I meant. The large settlement blocs are legal *under Israeli law*, and most of them Israel will likely keep the bulk of them in any deal via land swaps. Hopefully not Ariel though. I'm talking about the random outposts which are a handful of people in trailers that an overwhelming majority of Israelis despise.

When you look at this map - while indeed that's the extent of what's happened, the overwhelming majority of the landmass are temporary structures that are easily destroyed and withdrawn from. The actual reality of permanent Israeli settlement looks more like the concrete proposals they have made to the Palestinians, like this:

Obv. there are other issues like Israel wanting to maintain a presence in the Jordan Valley, which I oppose.

It's so weird how Israel hasn't even attempted to offer these terms in almost twenty years. I'm.sure the political timing just isn't right.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

"White areas" for Israel and "Brown areas" for Palestinians eh?

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

kidkissinger posted:

It's so weird how Israel hasn't even attempted to offer these terms in almost twenty years. I'm.sure the political timing just isn't right.
I like how even in that map the border around Ariel is a crazy border-gore abomination that would likely be miserable to navigate for almost everyone in the area.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

The fact Israel keeps building settlements tells you everything you need to know about Israel's commitment to peace. Imagine if they stopped building settlements as long as hamas has stopped suicide bombings.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Israel toyed with their supporters by changing the checkpoint that they would be released at 3 times today, but Ahed Tamimi and her mother are now out of prison.

https://mobile.twitter.com/aishagani/status/1023462165750018049

She served one less month for slapping a soldier than Elor Azaria served for shooting a downed Palestinian assailant execution style.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

kidkissinger posted:

It's actually 9 years. Which is why any tactic other than trying to defeat Netanyahu at the ballot box is a waste of time.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's actually 9 years. Which is why any tactic other than trying to defeat Netanyahu at the ballot box is a waste of time.

I thought they were antisemitism.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Volkerball posted:

Israel toyed with their supporters by changing the checkpoint that they would be released at 3 times today, but Ahed Tamimi and her mother are now out of prison.

https://mobile.twitter.com/aishagani/status/1023462165750018049

She served one less month for slapping a soldier than Elor Azaria served for shooting a downed Palestinian assailant execution style.
Israel also arrested an Italian artist who did a huge mural of her in the West Bank

https://twitter.com/_Saeen_/status/1023307060803461121

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Israel also arrested an Italian artist who did a huge mural of her in the West Bank

https://twitter.com/_Saeen_/status/1023307060803461121

Don't be silly, you gotta be a citizen of a country to get rights, and if you don't have rights then they can't be trampled on by an oppresive government :shepicide:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

kidkissinger posted:

Does that map look like a fetus to anybody else?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Schubalts posted:

Does that map look like a fetus to anybody else?

Careful, a sniper might shoot it

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Drone_Fragger posted:

Don't be silly, you gotta be a citizen of a country to get rights, and if you don't have rights then they can't be trampled on by an oppresive government :shepicide:

Italy doesn't count as a country?

I mean, I can see your point actually, nevermind.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Meeting between Bibi and Druze leadership went... poorly...

https://twitter.com/AnshelPfeffer/status/1025078201641566208

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Looks like the former brigadier-general has some growing up to do.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I, personally, can see no danger in further alienating a tight-knit minority which you have spent decades training and arming, often in tight-knit brigades, and which has strong connections with members of this minority in neighboring, hostile countries. :sun:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cat Mattress posted:

Italy doesn't count as a country?

I mean, I can see your point actually, nevermind.

Italy is a nefarious Piedmontese fabrication. At the absolute minimum, we need a two state solution acknowledging the sovereignty of the Two Sicilies.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Italy is a nefarious Piedmontese fabrication. At the absolute minimum, we need a two state solution acknowledging the sovereignty of the Two Sicilies.

San Marino and Vatican City are just like Palestine when you don't think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Meeting between Bibi and Druze leadership went... poorly...

https://twitter.com/AnshelPfeffer/status/1025078201641566208

Has there ever been a "strongman" leader who isn't just a giant baby with an army at his command?