Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

cakesmith handyman posted:

If that's that style then fair enough.

The only mcmansion hell I read is what's posted here. Yes I like some Victorian and Georgian style elements. I'm well aware my house isn't pretty, I think extending the eaves and decorative stone window lintels/sills would have made it look nicer without being tacky or compromising what makes the house a great home (space, light, comfort).

Do you think the following are "good examples of multiple rooflines"?

What is gained with that extra bit? Is that useable space? It looks like it's tacked on after the fact. Only the bottom half of that window appears to open, maybe the other half can't be reached.

There is an estate of houses with this roof structure near me (minus the columns). They were all built this way but still manage to look like a too-small house was shoddily extended.

I want to joke about three different houses clipping through each other but I'm worried I'll just be regurgitating memes. Instead rotate the main roof structure direction 90° and you can accommodate all the rooms within the house with a single simpler roof structure that'll be less likely to leak or collect ice dams or rotting leaf piles or rodents.

Those are lovely homes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
this is honestly the best derail

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm going to come clean, I'm an engineer so all I'm seeing is extra failure modes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

I'm going to come clean, I'm an engineer so all I'm seeing is extra failure modes.

Your ideal home is milled out of a single solid block of aluminum, isn't it?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

titanium :catbert:

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

The only mcmansion hell I read is what's posted here. Yes I like some Victorian and Georgian style elements. I'm well aware my house isn't pretty, I think extending the eaves and decorative stone window lintels/sills would have made it look nicer without being tacky or compromising what makes the house a great home (space, light, comfort).

What is gained with that extra bit? Is that useable space? It looks like it's tacked on after the fact. Only the bottom half of that window appears to open, maybe the other half can't be reached.

You mean....the window in the middle of the second floor? That's not the bottom of the top/attic window, it's a separate room. The top floor may be for storage or have some usable space, or they might just have a house fan up there.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'm probably alone in this, but I like those simple concrete block ranch style homes you see all over Florida. Weather-proof and keeps the A/C in. A lick of paint and a bit of nice landscaping is all you need to keep those bad boys looking stylish.

Whenever I need inspiration, I just look at this blog, and all the pretty ideas. http://vintagehomeplans.tumblr.com/

This right here is also my jam. Except that bedroom on the left would probably just be turned into a living/dining great room, and then have a second floor with a big loft master. But drat do I love a back porch off the kitchen.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 26, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Having a house milled from a solid block of metal would provide a good reason to insulate your stairs.

I wouldn’t want to be inside it if an earthquake hits, though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Platystemon posted:

Having a house milled from a solid block of metal would provide a good reason to insulate your stairs.

I wouldn’t want to be inside it if an earthquake hits, though.

God does not play dice with the universe. :rimshot:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'm probably alone in this, but I like those simple concrete block ranch style homes you see all over Florida. Weather-proof and keeps the A/C in. A lick of paint and a bit of nice landscaping is all you need to keep those bad boys looking stylish.

Whenever I need inspiration, I just look at this blog, and all the pretty ideas. http://vintagehomeplans.tumblr.com/

This right here is also my jam. Except that bedroom on the left would probably just be turned into a living/dining great room, and then have a second floor with a big loft master. But drat do I love a back porch off the kitchen.

Thanks, just lost an hour to that blog.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Yeah, Queen Victorian, I can agree that Bungalow Company has tried to merge some nice designs with the open kitchen / family room thing (which I'm not a fan of), but generally I think that they do OK. For people that think that multi-rooflines look bad, there are some that look like poo poo, and some - like this from 1910 - that are strikingly handsome imo, though I acknowledge that it wouldn't work in all climates. I think that the internal layout of this one could use some TLC, but overall it works. ed: Ive been to the Stickley Museum at Craftsman Farms and should probably go again when the weather clears up, it's a really handsome house and estate.
https://www.stickleymuseum.org/

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 26, 2018

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Those Bungalow Company houses look nice on the outside though their floorplans are awkward. Still better than most ginormous new houses, or the featureless gray boxes that developers are building all over my city.

That's not to say that some attempts at modern "bungalows" don't go crazy with rooflines.

what is happening

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tangentially related to all this: a friend and I were at an estate sale, huge house built in the early 1900s, multiple generations had lived there, awesome walnut floors cut from the trees that were where the house is now, etc. Four floors if you count the attic and basement, massive 12" timbers in the attic, awesome floor plan, carriage house garage, all that stuff. In the library, my friend found a section of the wall paneling that could open, it was clearly designed to be a storage cupboard type thing, but also was made to not be visible. Well, apparently nobody had noticed that space in decades, and certainly not as part of the estate sale, and inside we found all the original blue prints, surveys, everything. The people running the sale had no personal connection to the family, and so they didn't complain when I bought them for $20. Hope to some day base my own build off of them, it was such an awesome house, and find.

Same guy also found some old poetry and a recipe used by one of the older, more historic hotels here stuck behind the drawers of an old desk in the basement, as well as a mountain of old bank statements trapped in a desk who's drawers wouldn't unlock until we got involved. He's a lot of fun to go to these sorts of events with.

The library was a treasure trove of old (>100 years old) books. Good times.

Anyhow that's my story: found a secret stash of original blueprints for a >100 year old mansion and snagged them for basically nothing.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, Queen Victorian, I can agree that Bungalow Company has tried to merge some nice designs with the open kitchen / family room thing (which I'm not a fan of), but generally I think that they do OK. For people that think that multi-rooflines look bad, there are some that look like poo poo, and some - like this from 1910 - that are strikingly handsome imo, though I acknowledge that it wouldn't work in all climates. I think that the internal layout of this one could use some TLC, but overall it works. ed: Ive been to the Stickley Museum at Craftsman Farms and should probably go again when the weather clears up, it's a really handsome house and estate.
https://www.stickleymuseum.org/

I kind of love this, and this conversation coupled with some underwhelming house-hunting has me thinking about just building my own. Knock out that third bedroom and dining room and it could easily get shrunk down to 1,200sqft.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

schmug posted:

I'm not gonna hotlink or upload to imgur because I think they are still "non profit" and charge for this poo poo, but here are a couple links:

http://gamblehouse.org/interior/

http://gamblehouse.org/exterior/

Pretty sweet place. I highly recommend a tour if you're ever in SoCal.

Thank you for this, awesome to look at.

Suspect Bucket posted:

But screw you, now I am stuck looking at these amazing designs and wishing I had more money to remodel my house.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Klyith posted:

It's not difficult, you just have to spend McMansion money on a very small house.

My sister lives in Raleigh, and there's a small district of historic houses that are pre-1900. The edges of that neighborhood got kinda eaten away by "urban blight" when the white flight happened in the 60s, but now it's back to super-expensive. There are some plots where an old house got torn town and people have built new, with period appropriate style & exterior -- though I'm sure the materials are all modern.

Habitat's built a few houses like that in my neighborhood.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Here, lose even more time to all the different editions of this https://books.google.com/books/about/Keith_s_Magazine_on_Home_Building.html?id=nNQrAAAAIAAJ

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DID SOMEBODY SAY ROOFLINES ?!?!?!?!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Big Shingle conspiracy.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Bad Munki posted:

Tangentially related to all this: a friend and I were at an estate sale, huge house built in the early 1900s, multiple generations had lived there, awesome walnut floors cut from the trees that were where the house is now, etc. Four floors if you count the attic and basement, massive 12" timbers in the attic, awesome floor plan, carriage house garage, all that stuff. In the library, my friend found a section of the wall paneling that could open, it was clearly designed to be a storage cupboard type thing, but also was made to not be visible. Well, apparently nobody had noticed that space in decades, and certainly not as part of the estate sale, and inside we found all the original blue prints, surveys, everything. The people running the sale had no personal connection to the family, and so they didn't complain when I bought them for $20. Hope to some day base my own build off of them, it was such an awesome house, and find.

Same guy also found some old poetry and a recipe used by one of the older, more historic hotels here stuck behind the drawers of an old desk in the basement, as well as a mountain of old bank statements trapped in a desk who's drawers wouldn't unlock until we got involved. He's a lot of fun to go to these sorts of events with.

The library was a treasure trove of old (>100 years old) books. Good times.

Anyhow that's my story: found a secret stash of original blueprints for a >100 year old mansion and snagged them for basically nothing.

You need to return those blueprints to that house!

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

http://antiquehomestyle.com is my go-to for cute little old house plans.
I found their inspiration for this particular model.

The "modern" floor plan expands it from ~1000 to 1660sf by enlarging the rooms and adding a bedroom, bathroom and laundry (nixing the basement), plus the obligatory attached garage.

Personally I prefer the old-school version.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

xwing posted:

The real problem, in my career, I have yet to have a client pay me to do the job that would get you a well built home. They poo poo on the price to design it properly. I've designed multi-million dollar homes on the water and they balk at paying me to come out on the job site to supervise progress.

What is the cost associated with getting you further involved? Every now and again I think about getting a house built but it's not something I know anything about and I'm curious to know what an "architect designed!" home would run to if it was done right.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

For me, it almost is. I love Brutalist architecture, but I can't ever see myself getting permission to build my dream home anywhere near where other people live. Not everyone likes to look of a sci-fi prison.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Youth Decay posted:

http://antiquehomestyle.com is my go-to for cute little old house plans.

I found their inspiration for this particular model.

Whoa my step sister and mother lives in a single story version of that exact floor plan.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

The missing thing is that it includes the contents. You get the cars, the art, the memorabilia, and the furniture. Just bring your clothes and you are ready to go.

All this could be yours.

Is the cost of dumpster rental so I can toss all their tacky bullshit included in the price?

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

FCKGW posted:

You know, there's so much going on here it almost works. Like someone took a maximalist approach to roofing.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

StormDrain posted:

You need to return those blueprints to that house!

Like heck I do! Nobody knew they existed until we found them, and the house is two sales removed from the original family, there’s no connection anymore.

Unless you mean the blueprints are cursed, in which case, I’m willing to accept that risk if it means I can build a house very closely based on that one (we’re actually considering starting a build within the next couple years.)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

FCKGW posted:

Procedurally-generated architecture?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Bees on Wheat posted:

You know, there's so much going on here it almost works. Like someone took a maximalist approach to roofing.

I think the house is on a corner or cul-de-sac and it would look... better from about 70 degrees to the left. It seems like the entire wing facing us is intended to conceal that it's a garage.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

big dyke energy posted:

You mean....the window in the middle of the second floor? That's not the bottom of the top/attic window, it's a separate room. The top floor may be for storage or have some usable space, or they might just have a house fan up there.

I went back and looked at the plans, the lower middle window is the bathroom, there's no stairs access to the attic so that extra window and roof piece is for cosmetic purposes only. I stand by my original assessment that it's dumb.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Queen Victorian posted:

I think the way to go with a good 1200 sq ft bungalow is to pull some authentic architectural plans for a Craftsman bungalow out of the public domain and hire an architect to make slight adjustments and bring the design up to code.

Here are some: http://www.antiquehomestyle.com/styles/craftsmanplan-index.htm

If you compare these to the Bungalow Company plans, you can see some important differences in the designs and the finishes. The authentic houses generally have simpler footprints and rooflines - the architects of yore were well-versed in the now-lost art of making all the rooms fit into a rectangle - and the details and finishes have a sense of dimensionality that the contemporary ones lack (i.e. old designs utilize true divided light widows with real mullions that look so much better fake-mullion vinyl windows it's not even funny, more detailed trim/millwork, etc).

The Bungalow Company has some nice designs for small cottages, but the worst of their bigger houses just look like lumpy tract houses with superficial Craftsman details glued on. If you take a design from them for one of their smaller houses, which seem quite nice, you could spiff it up with better details and finishes. However, it is my personal opinion that the new plans have inferior interior layouts, mostly because dining space gets deemphasized in favor of bigger/open kitchens and sometimes "great room" space. But my opinion is that formal dining rooms are the best and "open concept" kitchens are the worst, so take that as you may. Old plans could use slightly larger bathrooms and closets, but other than that, I think they are highly optimal and make very efficient use of the square footage.

Aside from a few of those terrible lumpy tract house designs, I don't think the Bungalow Company designs are all that bad, more so that it goes to show how much our priorities have evolved in terms of living space and how the house presents. Nice footprint and cohesive exterior form takes a backseat to interior layout, things like that.

Now I feel like an idiot. Thanks for the link, that's drat useful.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Not even clicking this until I get home for the weekend, it will eat my time.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 26, 2018

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

rndmnmbr posted:

Is the cost of dumpster rental so I can toss all their tacky bullshit included in the price?

Nah, you become an Ebay baron, selling tacky bullshit to guys just like the one selling the house.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Yes, those houses look pretty nice, actually. Sorry you have bad taste.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

While not listed on that site, this Sears Winona is nearly identical to my house. My neighborhood is rumoured to have been a lowest-bidder WPA project, built starting in the late 1920s to get squatters off of the nearby river. It's possible that the builder grabbed a set of Sears plans and simplified them down. The floor plan is very close; we don't have the closets shown; ours were built into the pushouts and are only 2' wide and about a foot deep. I had to build out a large closet in the rear bedroom after we moved in.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 26, 2018

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I went back and looked at the plans, the lower middle window is the bathroom, there's no stairs access to the attic so that extra window and roof piece is for cosmetic purposes only. I stand by my original assessment that it's dumb.

It is the most engineer thing in the world that you are offended by things that exist merely to make stuff look nice.

schmug
May 20, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

It is the most engineer thing in the world that you are offended by things that exist merely to make stuff look nice.

Can relate.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

PainterofCrap posted:

While not listed on that site, this Sears Winona is nearly identical to my house. My neighborhood is rumoured to have been a lowest-bidder WPA project, built starting in the late 1920s to get squatters off of the nearby river. It's possible that the builder grabbed a set of Sears plans and simplified them down. The floor plan is very close; we don't have the closets shown; ours were built into the pushouts and are only 2' wide and about a foot deep. I had to build out a large closet in the rear bedroom after we moved in.

WPA was the mid-30s, maybe yours is like my grandparent's place. Before the bottom fell out there was a late-20s housing boom of cheaper, quick construction kind of like 2005-6, though with easier access to high quality wood those houses tended to be pretty good compared to their McMansion counterparts.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

There is an estate of houses with this roof structure near me (minus the columns). They were all built this way but still manage to look like a too-small house was shoddily

They’re called dormers and have been used constantly for all of time.

schmug
May 20, 2007

So, what kind of engineer are you? Serious question since you're resting your dumb or tolling comments on it.

From your posts and user name I am guessing the Big Box Store Weekend Warrior I saw it on TV and in A Book kind. Prove me wrong.

schmug fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 26, 2018

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I love dormers. They have to be proportioned right and used sparingly, but done well they add real visual interest to a roof line. The real problem with mcmansion roofs is that they have 27 different peaks because the place was literally slapped together with no concern for real visual appeal.

Talking about an old house that I would love to rebuild as a modern version:

It's... rough looking now, unfortunately, but you can still see what it used to be. It was built in 1927 by the town doctor, and had exceptional interior millwork. In the 50s and 60s it was a popular place to hold small weddings and receptions. Unfortunately, the road it was built on is now a 6 lane monstrosity. It spent 20+ years as student apartments, and apparently is a therapist's office now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

GotLag posted:

Procedurally-generated architecture?

Would be surprised if this is not a thing to be honest.