Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
They could poo poo out a game each year where you hunt down four lords and link a fire and I'd happily buy them every time. Oh well, I'm sure whatever they feel like making will be good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
two things:

1) as someone who's only played DS3, how much of the story/areas/etc. are recycled from other games? I've seen a lot of "could it be this place again?" notes

2) any great strategies for the Dancer other than roll and hit?

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

morallyobjected posted:

two things:

1) as someone who's only played DS3, how much of the story/areas/etc. are recycled from other games? I've seen a lot of "could it be this place again?" notes

On the first point, I thought it was humorous that in Dark Souls Remastered there are usually some messages pointing out the location of the Anor Londo bonfire in DS3.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

morallyobjected posted:

two things:

All the games have the same basic story. Once there was a kingdom here, people in positions of power hosed it all up through monumental hubris, now you gotta kill four big bad buddies and go jump in a magical super fire/the essence of being to save the world from zombie plague.

Farron Keep has the corpses of the mushroom men from DS1. Catacombs is really obviously a callback to DS1 Catacombs with a bit of Sen’s Fortress mixed in. Anor Londo is literally part of the Anor Londo from DS1, just at night and with slime all over everything. Painted World of Ariandel is pretty much the same concept as DS1’s Painted World of Ariamis. Ditto Grand Archives with DS1’s Duke’s Archives. The Earthen Peak section of the Dreg Heap is the outside of the DS2 level of that name, turned on its side. The segue from Demon Prince’s arena to Ringed City is part of the DS1 version of Firelink Shrine. There’s probably other stuff I’m forgetting. There’s a lot of callbacks.

e: Dancer is weak to bleed, try Carthus Rouge/katanas/morningstar/Gnaw/whatever your build can use best to get it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Six. Patches the Hyena (Demon's Souls) and Patch the Good Luck in Armored Core. :v:

Wait I'm only counting five then.

Patches the Hyena (Demon's Souls)
Patches the Lucky (Dark Souls)
Patches the Spider (Bloodborne)
Unbreakable Patches (DS3)
Patches the Good Luck (Armoured Core)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Arrhythmia posted:

Wait I'm only counting five then.

Patches the Hyena (Demon's Souls)
Patches the Lucky (Dark Souls)
Patches the Spider (Bloodborne)
Unbreakable Patches (DS3)
Patches the Good Luck (Armoured Core)

Oh, I just assumed people were talking about DS 1 2 3 and then Bloodbourne. I've never actually completed DS2.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Oh, I just assumed people were talking about DS 1 2 3 and then Bloodbourne. I've never actually completed DS2.

Patches is absent in DS2, tragically.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

There’s no Patches in DS2. There’s Pate who fills similar role, the wandering NPC who’s a bit of a dick and likes to get you in trouble, but he’s not literally the same guy.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

skasion posted:

There’s no Patches in DS2. There’s Pate who fills similar role, the wandering NPC who’s a bit of a dick and likes to get you in trouble, but he’s not literally the same guy.

Pate doesn't count because there's no moment where he goes "Sorry for betraying you there, will you forgive me?" and if you say "no" he goes "Great here's two humanity thanks for forgiving me!!!"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

skasion posted:

All the games have the same basic story. Once there was a kingdom here, people in positions of power hosed it all up through monumental hubris, now you gotta kill four big bad buddies and go jump in a magical super fire/the essence of being to save the world from zombie plague.

Farron Keep has the corpses of the mushroom men from DS1. Catacombs is really obviously a callback to DS1 Catacombs with a bit of Sen’s Fortress mixed in. Anor Londo is literally part of the Anor Londo from DS1, just at night and with slime all over everything. Painted World of Ariandel is pretty much the same concept as DS1’s Painted World of Ariamis. Ditto Grand Archives with DS1’s Duke’s Archives. The Earthen Peak section of the Dreg Heap is the outside of the DS2 level of that name, turned on its side. The segue from Demon Prince’s arena to Ringed City is part of the DS1 version of Firelink Shrine. There’s probably other stuff I’m forgetting. There’s a lot of callbacks.

e: Dancer is weak to bleed, try Carthus Rouge/katanas/morningstar/Gnaw/whatever your build can use best to get it.

You go through the Demon Ruins and a bit of Ash Lake again as well. Depending on how generous you want to be with it with the Old Chaos and the Ashen Mist Heart in DS2, Lost Izalith/the Ruins and Ash Lake are in all three games, in fact.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

morallyobjected posted:

two things:

1) Themes or direct cribbing? Area themes in games are sort of inevitable. The inclusion of Anor Londo was loving lame though. When I got to pontiff and looked up from the door, I knew it immediately. The way it was included was so wack and so lazy. I didn't hate it, it was just there, but it was just so silly.

2) No. Watch. Roll. Punish.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Which boss are you thinking? Midir? I really like that one minus the "you lose" laser but I think he was so easy for me because his movesets are almost identical to Sinh's.

That said I did some phantoming this time around where I forgot the timings and I'm getting owned hard by the flames.

Yes midir is the single least fun I have had with anything in this game since it felt like the real boss was the camera

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Digirat posted:

Yes midir is the single least fun I have had with anything in this game since it felt like the real boss was the camera

The trick to Midir is not using the lock-on and fighting him like a Monster Hunter monster.

It's a really fun fight once you do that!

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Did the luck/bleed build get nerfed? I rushed straight to Anri to get her sword but so far I’m pretty underwhelmed.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Your Computer posted:

The trick to Midir is not using the lock-on and fighting him like a Monster Hunter monster.

This is correct.

Keep yourself in a position where you can stand in front of his nose, lock on to his head, and dodge/sprint around his head to the timings of the attacks. After every attack he lays his head on the ground for a short second so you can hit it. Sometimes you just have to roll a couple of arm swipes and a head butt. If he shoots fire or flies in the air you have to unlock and run to the new position to be ready for his recovery.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Your Computer posted:

I didn't lock on but if you don't then most of its body that communicates its tells just constantly flies right out of the camera if you're anywhere near it. You can't win with the camera. It did make me wish I was playing monster hunter though. So I did that instead.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I didn't have much trouble with Midir on any of my runs but I do think he's annoying because his HP pool/defenses are very high and he repositions all the time by flying or running across his needlessly huge fuckin arena so you spend a lot of time running after him, and as a result it's a very long fight regardless of strategy. I liked Sinh a lot more.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
I love the Midir fight, it's my favorite large boss in the series and almost my favorite fight in general.

When you get the spacing and timing down you can pull poo poo like charging an attack and hitting his head just as he finishes lunging at you. Or lightly jogging out of one of his massive attack chains.

Dragon Slayer Great Axe special attack timed just as his grab runs out of momentum is :kiss:

My number one complaint with DS3 is that it has the best bosses in the series but decided against bonfire ascetics.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

IronicDongz posted:

I didn't have much trouble with Midir on any of my runs but I do think he's annoying because his HP pool/defenses are very high and he repositions all the time by flying or running across his needlessly huge fuckin arena so you spend a lot of time running after him, and as a result it's a very long fight regardless of strategy. I liked Sinh a lot more.

I feel like the biggest problem with the dlc bosses are that most of them have like 20-30% too much hp. Demon Prince and Gael are good fights but they take forever and by the end you either have the routine down or you don't.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I feel like the biggest problem with the dlc bosses are that most of them have like 20-30% too much hp. Demon Prince and Gael are good fights but they take forever and by the end you either have the routine down or you don't.

Gael's the final boss of the entire franchise, if anything he's a too easy. Demon Prince? Maybe, but I'll take that over the somewhat fragile bosses of the base game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

multijoe posted:

Gael's the final boss of the entire franchise, if anything he's a too easy.

Midir's that. Gael's second to last. :v:

If his third phase varied the fight up a little bit more I wouldn't have an issue with it but as it is I just run in a circle to dodge his lightning then do the same thing I've been doing the last couple minutes. It's still fun all in all but it doesn't really add anything to have it keep going.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Demon Prince and Gael both seem like they’re balanced around burning through all your estus with like a minute or two left in the fight. I think they work well in that light. Midir is just a boring fight though. It’s so reactive and slow, even more so than Kalameet or Sinh. Ive had more fun fighting Guyra.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

morallyobjected posted:

two things:

I'm gonna cut together and publish my SL1 Dancer video tonight if you wanna see how fighting her goes when your stats are very restricted.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Did the luck/bleed build get nerfed? I rushed straight to Anri to get her sword but so far I’m pretty underwhelmed.

Use hollow warden twinblades imo, it's solid as hell

e: are you hollowed to hell? cus thats important

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 26, 2018

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

You only use Anri's sword when up against something that can't be bled, like skellymans. Bleeding is still really good and fun. And Anri's sword has very good damage at 40 luck.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I'm gonna cut together and publish my SL1 Dancer video tonight if you wanna see how fighting her goes when your stats are very restricted.

I did finally take her down through a combination of rolling, whacking, and hiding behind pillars. I can't imagine how long that would take with low stats. I staggered her once by hitting her head enough times, but that seemed like a way riskier strategy to count on when she's so fast and hits so hard

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

skasion posted:

Demon Prince and Gael both seem like they’re balanced around burning through all your estus with like a minute or two left in the fight. I think they work well in that light. Midir is just a boring fight though. It’s so reactive and slow, even more so than Kalameet or Sinh. Ive had more fun fighting Guyra.

Demon Prince and Gael share a common weakness, bigass weapons. Beat on them enough, and they'll stagger around the clock.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

I did finally take her down through a combination of rolling, whacking, and hiding behind pillars. I can't imagine how long that would take with low stats. I staggered her once by hitting her head enough times, but that seemed like a way riskier strategy to count on when she's so fast and hits so hard

Correct, that’s risky. Safest strategy (as usual for Souls) is to stick to her butt and hack away. In this case the right leg is the best location. Here’s the promised video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?m9v6XZo99FM

As you can see, my deaths are mostly due to either greed or bad positioning. As for damage, it’s not as good as if you had a proper build but a +9 raw broadsword with Carthus Flame Arc does solid damage.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
is there a point at which, like Bloodborne, you just get railroaded into NG+? I just took down Lothric and I want to do the DLC before I get too far and can't get back to it

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

morallyobjected posted:

is there a point at which, like Bloodborne, you just get railroaded into NG+? I just took down Lothric and I want to do the DLC before I get too far and can't get back to it

I don't believe so, when you beat the normal final boss it justs asks if you want to do NG+ or continue loving around? If you gently caress around you can move onto NG+ at a bonfire.

Obviously there will be sidequest stuff that's unavailable by this point in the game, but I don't think it cuts off actual areas of the game from being accessed.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

morallyobjected posted:

You don't. Like DS2 you actually need to go and press the NG+ option so you're safe to do the DLC after beating the main game.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

morallyobjected posted:

? What's the problem? Can you not get back to the Cathedral? Is the NPC not there? The decs recommend to do Lothric before Ariandel so I don't think it should actually be a problem.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

? What's the problem? Can you not get back to the Cathedral? Is the NPC not there? The decs recommend to do Lothric before Ariandel so I don't think it should actually be a problem.

no problem yet. I just didn't know if it was like Bloodborne where as soon as you beat the final boss you just get automatically launched into NG+ without being asked, and I figure I'm getting close to the end of the main story so I didn't want to get pushed into NG+ without having a chance to get to the DLC places

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
the Demon Prince fight is bullshit

e: for more content that isn't complaining, Aldrich was the giant blob thing in the intro, right? how does he end up as the snake thing in Anor Londo? I was dreading fighting some huge pile of slime all game long

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 28, 2018

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

morallyobjected posted:

e: for more content that isn't complaining, Aldrich was the giant blob thing in the intro, right? how does he end up as the snake thing in Anor Londo? I was dreading fighting some huge pile of slime all game long

The entire floor of the room is supposed to be part of Aldrich I think. The part you fight is just his primary blobby appendage that is also using Gwyndolin as a meat puppet.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

In what way? I think the total health pool is probably like 15-25% too big but other than that it's a fairly normal boss fight (i.e. very difficult since it's end-game).

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

In what way? I think the total health pool is probably like 15-25% too big but other than that it's a fairly normal boss fight (i.e. very difficult since it's end-game).

nothing's mechanically unfair about it--I just hate bosses with fake death mechanics. if you want to switch it up at 50% or 25% or something, fine, but don't let me think I killed the thing then bring in some new, final form

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I hate that garbage too but don't worry, it's the last boss in the DLC that does it. The boss at the the end of ringed city is actually really cool.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I get that. I maintain that Friede, Cinder, and Demon Prince would all be better served by a single large health bar rather than multiple bars/bars refilling between phases even if it's just a psychological change with the fights' mechanics staying exactly the same.

It can be a cool/cinematic effect but it's fairly demoralizing in these kinds of intense and challenging fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

I get that. I maintain that Friede, Cinder, and Demon Prince would all be better served by a single large health bar rather than multiple bars/bars refilling between phases even if it's just a psychological change with the fights' mechanics staying exactly the same.

It can be a cool/cinematic effect but it's fairly demoralizing in these kinds of intense and challenging fights

Cinder maybe, the other two are just over-long fights, period.

Mind you, I like Demon Prince overall, including the phase shift. It's just that like everything else in Ringed City it has too much HP.