Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s why you use metacritic (where Frozen Wilds has 83)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

TFW was really high quality DLC, especially for the length. I’d put it right up there with Lair of the Shadow Broker for ME2 or Citadel for ME3, except it’s considerably larger than either of those.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm about to finish TFW and I'm enjoying the poo poo out of it. The upgraded weapons and armor are cool and while I don't give a drat about the new weapons, the new zone is great.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Policenaut posted:

I try to give most of these visual novel/adventure-type games the benefit of the doubt but after that first chapter I realized that the entire game is going to be as lifeless and low budget as possible and deleted it. I'd just come off Day of the Tentacle Remastered and Telltale's Batman so I was amped to try a Japanese adventure game for a change but then just deleted it soon after and played Stories: The Path of Destinies instead.

I wish I had been so quick to disregard it. Its trash.

But you have good taste!

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

That’s why you use metacritic (where Frozen Wilds has 83)

I like Opencritic, very clean layout, although I don't rely on reviews much and only use to get a general idea because I'm a pro at knowing what I'm going to like.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Policenaut posted:

I try to give most of these visual novel/adventure-type games the benefit of the doubt but after that first chapter I realized that the entire game is going to be as lifeless and low budget as possible and deleted it. I'd just come off Day of the Tentacle Remastered and Telltale's Batman so I was amped to try a Japanese adventure game for a change but then just deleted it soon after and played Stories: The Path of Destinies instead.

That's why they're called Visual Novels and not adventure games.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Current status: getting totally burned by the girl who runs the panty ring

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Escobarbarian posted:

Current status: getting totally burned by the girl who runs the panty ring

Maybe play some videogames to take your mind off it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sakurazuka posted:

That's why they're called Visual Novels and not adventure games.

I don't even mind visual novels if there's some life and energy to them, you know some kind of style to it like Steins;Gate but Psycho-Pass was really bland looking and the translation seemed blunt.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah Psycho-Pass isn't very good but that post came off as 'why isn't it like these western adventure games' when isn't even remotely trying to be.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SiKboy posted:

Maybe play some videogames to take your mind off it.

:drat:

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

About Machine for Pigs, my group of friends like to play horror games together and after enjoying first Amnesia, our hopes were pretty high. But as mentioned before, it's quite dull and not scary. Those are kinda my fears about SOMA too, that is more of a moody walking simulator than a horror game. Nothing wrong with that, but just not what we are looking for.

On the other hand we've been playing RE7, and holy poo poo this game is scary. That bad guy chasing you and coming through the wall was perfectly timed and got me good.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

AngelesXO posted:

About Machine for Pigs, my group of friends like to play horror games together and after enjoying first Amnesia, our hopes were pretty high. But as mentioned before, it's quite dull and not scary. Those are kinda my fears about SOMA too, that is more of a moody walking simulator than a horror game. Nothing wrong with that, but just not what we are looking for.

On the other hand we've been playing RE7, and holy poo poo this game is scary. That bad guy chasing you and coming through the wall was perfectly timed and got me good.

SOMA is AMAZING. It's absolutely a horror game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a very moody scary horror walking sim.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

AngelesXO posted:

Amnesia and SOMA are made by the same people. Machine for Pigs is not done by those same people. That's why it is what it is.

Play SOMA.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
RE7 is great. Even on my second playthrough I jumped from a scripted scare because I forgot it was there and I was already tense from sneaking past several enemies with next to no ammo.

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

Okay, gonna get Soma after we get enough courage to finish RE7

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AngelesXO posted:

If you're worried about dodging monsters and dying constantly, there's an option to disable taking damage so you can just run past them and enjoy the story.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

...! posted:

Yeah A Machine for Pigs is just a boring walking simulator but it's still better than Dark Descent. :colbert:

While amnesia as a storytelling device is played out as hell, I loved Dark Descent because it has the most palpable darkness in any game ever and does some really brilliant stuff like having invisible footsteps pursue you in ankle-deep water. The sanity mechanic works well. I like the psychologically wounded protagonist in A Machine for Pigs (until the very end), but Dark Descent is one of the most effective horror games I've ever played. I could only do it in 30-minute bursts before something would make me stop from anxiety or fear. It was excellent at building tension, and you almost never feel safe throughout the entire game. A Machine for Pigs just runs the "humans are mindless pigmeat" metaphor into the ground by the end and it didn't build dread through the lore scraps you find nearly as well as Dark Descent.

SOMA is on my shortlist and I can't wait to play it.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jul 26, 2018

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

I don't know why I made this.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Penguin Patrol posted:

I didn't say anything about preordering? I don't even own the game.

It is pretty funny to see so many people responding to NMS by making blanket statements about preordering, as if developers lying about their content is some constantly recurring cycle that nobody ever gets wise to.

Settle down now, don’t preorder games.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

TFW was really high quality DLC, especially for the length. I’d put it right up there with Lair of the Shadow Broker for ME2 or Citadel for ME3, except it’s considerably larger than either of those.

Is TFW better played post main campaign or is there is a better spot to start it?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

B-Mac posted:

Is TFW better played post main campaign or is there is a better spot to start it?

It links into the main campaign at any point but it’s significantly harder than anything else in vanilla HZD so it’s intended you’ll be pretty far along before attempting it. Contextually the story makes the most sense if you play it following Deep Secrets of the Earth or The Mountain That Fell, but before the last mission of the game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

AllisonByProxy posted:

I don't know why I made this.

Amazing

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

It links into the main campaign at any point but it’s significantly harder than anything else in vanilla HZD so it’s intended you’ll be pretty far along before attempting it. Contextually the story makes the most sense if you play it following Deep Secrets of the Earth or The Mountain That Fell, but before the last mission of the game.

Cool. I’m level 42 with all the hunting lodge weapons + other purple weapons and armor but I’ve been basically putting the main quest to side. I’ll just wait until I hit those points, thanks!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Policenaut posted:

Stories is a really good game, except for the generic name. Honestly by only problem with it, and if they patched I would plat the game immediately, is that you can only skip the cutscenes, and not the in-engine dialogue scenes. So in a game where you're expected to repeat story paths a lot, you have to watch the protagonist meet up with his bunny friend and talk about what happened, and what the plan is, and etc every single time. I just got so annoyed with having to see it every time.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

AngelesXO posted:

SOMA is really really good, it gets pretty intense in some parts

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

SOMA is incredibly good, and so is RE7. I'm playing through the other REs right now (numbered + CVX at least) but can't wait to go back and play through Madhouse. I got the Gold edition pretty cheap and haven't really looked at the prequel DLC but Not a Hero and End of Zoe are very very good and fun.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The SOMA love in this thread makes me incredibly happy.

Life is good.

Goon is good.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Digirat posted:

I don't think they've said they're making console versions of Darkwood, but they really should. I think it will run on a potato PC/laptop though so anyone with at least that should check it out!

It's very different than SOMA, I was just really impressed with how well it plays to its strengths and does a lot with a little. It's just handcrafted enough to know how to take you off guard, but all the non-scripted stuff is just unpredictable enough to make you uncomfortable. Like going from a night where monsters are breaking down your barricades to a night that's completely silent until something starts to knock on your door at 3 AM.

the darkwood devs actually uploaded a legit (and now several versions out of date) copy of their game to torrent sites because they'd rather have somebody pirate it than buy it from a key reseller, so its a game you can actually try totally risk free and then when you enjoy it kick the twelve bucks or whatever to buy the up to date thing and support the devs.

i was surprised at how well a top down perspective could work for a horror game.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Life is good.

Goon is good.

Goon is life.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Life is good.

Goon is good.

I'd say in SOMA's case it's a matter of perspective :v:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
sega just threw up the chinese yakuza 3 remaster on psn. https://store.playstation.com/en-my/product/HP0177-CUSA12961_00-RYU3HDCNTRIAL000

how do i go about downloading this on my uk ps4?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

register a Malaysian account

Shy fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 26, 2018

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
dont need too anymore, someone uploaded a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gtpsZlvTDk

i'd skip to the 20 minute mark to avoid any spoilers if, i remember watching the intro when i had the ps3 version a few months ago and covering the subtitles thinking i wouldnt get any spoilers and these past few months since playing 0, kiwami and watching trailers for kiwami 2 i've been piecing poo poo together and its :stare:

looks smooth and super fast load times. looks like 0 but with chunkier models and kiryu gliding all over the place during combat, get why they wouldnt waste money on a kiwami 3.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
How long does a SOMA playthrough take? I started it and haven't picked it up in over a year so I don't really remember what's happening. This coming weekend is looking fairly empty and I'd be down to smash it out in a sitting if that's possible.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Montalvo posted:

How long does a SOMA playthrough take? I started it and haven't picked it up in over a year so I don't really remember what's happening. This coming weekend is looking fairly empty and I'd be down to smash it out in a sitting if that's possible.

Steam says I took 6 hours to beat it

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Vikar Jerome posted:

sega just threw up the chinese yakuza 3 remaster on psn. https://store.playstation.com/en-my/product/HP0177-CUSA12961_00-RYU3HDCNTRIAL000

how do i go about downloading this on my uk ps4?

I was thinking about it, since Yak 3 and 4 are just going to be remasters, they're going to be much cheaper than YaKiwami 2, which was a full blown remake, right?

This is going to hurt my broke self.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
One more vote for SOMA being Extremely Good. It's not just a good game and a good horror game but a good piece of science fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Montalvo posted:

You can probably knock it out in a weekend without issues, I did last year. It's very good and one of my favorite games of its type.