Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Alpha Protocol is on of the few games I can think of where the we’re really thorough about it. Not only do big choices matter, but so do wether or not you kill certain random enemies, or if you’ve been a dick to everyone or just one character. It’s short enough to replay and see entire plot threads you didn’t get last time. It’s janky but it’s one of my favorite games of all time.

My friends and I play some video games every Thursday, and one of them suggested Alpha Protocol. He had played it three times, maybe more, but because I wanted to grab some trophies I suggested we do an all-rear end in a top hat run. We killed everyone we could, everyone hated us, it was great. He saw new storylines and permutations that he had never seen before as a result.

Alpha Protocol is preeeetty great. Devs need to realize that you don't need a 40+ hour game with choice permutation; if you can make it 10 hours but give 4x the amount of results from your choices, you've done even better, in my opinion.

Especially if there's, like, NG+ shenanigans going on, like how you can play as a Veteran in AP and just clown on everyone's opinion of you.

"So Mike, what we have here is-"
"Yeah I know what that is, get to the point."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

My favorite pairing, and admittedly an easy one, was to field the big burly story-essential Lancer with the camp gay Lancer who has a huge crush on him.

Running Jann and Largo together is a pretty common strategy. Just let Jann get a look at his crush and he's raring to go kill tanks.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Cleretic posted:

My favorite pairing, and admittedly an easy one, was to field the big burly story-essential Lancer with the camp gay Lancer who has a huge crush on him.

The camp gay Lancer voiced by John DiMaggio.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Morpheus posted:

Especially if there's, like, NG+ shenanigans going on, like how you can play as a Veteran in AP and just clown on everyone's opinion of you.

You don’t even need to be a Veteran to instantly disregard your handler at the start of the first mission.

“Welcome to Saudi Arabia, Thorton...”
“I think I can handle it from here on.”
“Wait, wha...”
*shut downs monitor that was broadcasting*

I was playing a swell person during my first playthrough but I couldn’t resist that one. I laughed so hard.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 15:00 on Jul 25, 2018

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mierenneuker posted:

You don’t even need to be a Veteran to instantly disregard your handler at the start of the first mission.

“Welcome to Saudi Arabia, Thorton...”
“I think I can handle it from here on.”
“Wait, wha...”
*shut downs monitor that was broadcasting*

I won’t be surprised if you can do that at every location. Because you sure can make Mina hate your guts. And to think she was such a source of positivity during the extended tutorial section.

Gotta love any game that gives you a chance to kill the annoying voice that's been on your radio all game. Or have sex with that person and later kill them if you want to.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

Gotta love any game that gives you a chance to kill the annoying voice that's been on your radio all game. Or have sex with that person and later kill them if you want to.

That was one of the best little things in Mass Effect. You're supposed to regularly report back to the insufferable ruling Council, and you have the opportunity to just cut the line whenever they get annoying. If you keep it up long enough, you get the option of calling them up literally just so you can immediately hang up on them again. :allears:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Perestroika posted:

That was one of the best little things in Mass Effect. You're supposed to regularly report back to the insufferable ruling Council, and you have the opportunity to just cut the line whenever they get annoying. If you keep it up long enough, you get the option of calling them up literally just so you can immediately hang up on them again. :allears:

Tyranny gives you ”[glare silently]” as a dialogue option at least once, if not more, in just about every conversation. If you do I enough, a character will call you on it towards the end of the game, and you can respond by glaring silently at him. He’ll be exasperated but admit that he should have seen that coming.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Perestroika posted:

I love it when games have completely optional running gags in them. I know Tyranny had one or two (I haven't played it, but have read it in this thread), and Planescape: Torment had a semi-serious one where someone you've pretended to be all game is actually created due to enough people believing that he exists from your lies.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Tyranny gives you ”[glare silently]” as a dialogue option at least once, if not more, in just about every conversation. If you do I enough, a character will call you on it towards the end of the game, and you can respond by glaring silently at him. He’ll be exasperated but admit that he should have seen that coming.

You can also explain that glaring silently is an effective intimidation tactic.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

VanSandman posted:

Or that glaring silently at first tends to result in people digging themselves deeper in front of you.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

VanSandman posted:

Yeah, I told him that it makes the other party nervous and nervous people want to fill silences, so I can just sit back and wait for them to incriminate themselves, which satisfied him.

E: beaten

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

frankee posted:

in fallout 3 you can improve your health by drinking out of filthy toilets

That works in real life as well

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

In Divinity II: The dragon knight saga you meet a guy named Amdusias at the end of a dungeon. He's cursed to sit in a cave after betraying his master, the great mage Maxos. As a result he can't stand even the sound of the name.. So, of course, you get conversation options that include saying that name over and over.

By the end of the game you visit the afterlife and meet him again. Among your conversation options? "MAXOS!"

Then, in the add-on scenario, many hours later, you have an optional quest to help a dying man. As he dies he asks if you have anything to say to someone in the afterlife...
:allears:

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToGeZvhL-Ks

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

frankee posted:

in fallout 3 you can improve your health by drinking out of filthy toilets

In New Vegas they added hardcore mode where you actually had to remember to drink and eat once in a while. I wanted to do a hardcore run where the only water I would ever drink was from toilets, but they don't let you do it anymore in New Vegas :(

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like the fat American cop you can run into multiple times during Max Payne 3. Hes clearly intended to be “good timeline Max Payne” and leave you wondering if hes a figment of Max’s imagination or just a genuinely swell and happy guy

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Cythereal posted:

I dunno, I haven't cared for any of the modern Far Cries because none of them have delivered a satisfying ending. They all seem to go for grimdark "everything you did was for naught, thanks for playing" bullshit.

I think Primal had a pretty decent ending at least straight forward enough. None of this you were the monster all along, or hey all the good guys were actually bad crap. Tribe continues - the end.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Morpheus posted:

My friends and I play some video games every Thursday, and one of them suggested Alpha Protocol. He had played it three times, maybe more, but because I wanted to grab some trophies I suggested we do an all-rear end in a top hat run. We killed everyone we could, everyone hated us, it was great. He saw new storylines and permutations that he had never seen before as a result.

Alpha Protocol is preeeetty great. Devs need to realize that you don't need a 40+ hour game with choice permutation; if you can make it 10 hours but give 4x the amount of results from your choices, you've done even better, in my opinion.

If I just have a PS4 is there a way to play Alpha Protocol? A remaster, or PS Now?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lobok posted:

If I just have a PS4 is there a way to play Alpha Protocol? A remaster, or PS Now?

PSNow has it.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

RedSnapper posted:

In Divinity II: The dragon knight saga you meet a guy named Amdusias at the end of a dungeon. He's cursed to sit in a cave after betraying his master, the great mage Maxos. As a result he can't stand even the sound of the name.. So, of course, you get conversation options that include saying that name over and over.

By the end of the game you visit the afterlife and meet him again. Among your conversation options? "MAXOS!"

Then, in the add-on scenario, many hours later, you have an optional quest to help a dying man. As he dies he asks if you have anything to say to someone in the afterlife...
:allears:

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToGeZvhL-Ks

Lmao. That rules

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Morpheus posted:

I love it when games have completely optional running gags in them. I know Tyranny had one or two (I haven't played it, but have read it in this thread), and Planescape: Torment had a semi-serious one where someone you've pretended to be all game is actually created due to enough people believing that he exists from your lies.

Planescape runs far deep than that, the entire universe runs on the Power Of Belief. If enough people are being dicks, The Spire shifts them to the _____ Evil section; if enough people are being good, The Spire shifts into the _______ Good section. One sidequest involves a gardener asking you to think positive thoughts for his dying tree, and it does help it(If you ask the pyromaniac character to help he'll just burn it). One character that can teach you The Art(Magic) early on the game turns out to be a mental construct from an old, powerful witch, but who never realized it until she was dead, and was dying along with her.

The game goes as far as *end-game spoilers* letting you will the last boss out of existence just with your pure determination.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Executing a perfect spear wall in Battle Brothers is so satisfying, especially against a mindless/savage enemy like Direwolves or Orcs. They just run in, bounce off and eventually completely break against your spears.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
StarCrawlers is a fun little dungeon-crawler (like Legend of Grimrock, or the old D&D games Grimrock was inspired by), in a cyberpunk/spacer setting. Missions (dungeon crawls) take place on randomly-generated ships and stations. In one of the very early missions, you get a chance to salvage the remains of a robot you defeated. You can then have it rebuilt and it will join your party. It speaks in haiku. In another mission, I had a dog run up to me at the beginning and start talking, because he had cybernetic enhancements that translated his thoughts and body language into words. He wanted me to find his master. I did, and he wanted to remove the cybernetics from the dog because he missed the days before the dog could talk and renamed himself Barkleby rather than the much less clever name of Cybermann which is what the guy named him. The dog doesn't like the name, and wants to keep the cyberware. So obviously now I have a talking dog I can bring with me on missions. The default names for characters include "Hardslab" and "Barrakus" (which I'm guessing is supposed to be Baracus, as in B.A., but I might be wrong about that).

Also:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Sunswipe posted:

Wait,do you mean the black guy or the chinese lady? I know the black guy can be a possible boss but i wouldn’t be surprised if the game gave you the option to kill the only nice person.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
The only person you can't kill in Alpha Protocol is Steven Heck.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Thinking back on it I really like that in Alpha Protocol you never figure out what the deal is with Sis. They closest you get is Thornton implying that she was sent to Albatross as a sacrifice to get G-22 to look away from someone/something, but there is never any information confirming that or even hinting at who did the bargain. It's pretty interesting that in a game about being a spy some information just isn't available despite doing everything right because the people involved just don't want to talk about it.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Hell, digging deeper on that issue causes your relationship value with G22 to plummet - more so if youve already got a decent value with Sis herself. Albatross hates it.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Alpha Protocol was just so ridiculously good. I can see people not being into the shooting, since it's basically just an improved Deus Ex RPG/FPS hybrid, but if you just go for a silenced pistol you get that ability that lets you pause time, click on everyone's heads and then unfreeze time to headshot everybody while remaining in stealth. Plus shotgun rear end in a top hat Mike playthroughs are hilarious. There's an absolute shitload of variety in playstyles, and so many tiny little things that significantly change seemingly unconnected events that eventually get tied back together.

The dialogue options are amazing too. You pretty much choose Bond, Bourne or Bauer and every single character has their own preference. Even one of the big bad guys hugely respects you if you remain professional (Bourne) but if you go full on hot-headed renegade (Bauer) he completely loses his poo poo and forms a personal vendetta against you.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

The dialogue options are amazing too. You pretty much choose Bond, Bourne or Bauer and every single character has their own preference. Even one of the big bad guys hugely respects you if you remain professional (Bourne) but if you go full on hot-headed renegade (Bauer) he completely loses his poo poo and forms a personal vendetta against you.

It's actually the smarmy Bond types he really, really hates.
Unless you're professional to everyone else and only smart-off to him. Then he reads your dossier, realises that you're only doing it to manipulate him, and respects you even more.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Another good Alpha Protocol playthrough is picking Suave every time. It’s like watching a trainwreck as like 95% of the time Thornton comes across as just an absolute tool.

I love Alpha Protocol and have probably played through it about 5 times. A thing that a lot of people miss is that you can actually fly between hubs and complete missions rather than doing all the missions in one hub one after the other.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Suave is the Archer option.

quote:

I love Alpha Protocol and have probably played through it about 5 times. A thing that a lot of people miss is that you can actually fly between hubs and complete missions rather than doing all the missions in one hub one after the other.

Is there ever a reason to do that though?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Suave is the Archer option.

You can buy 'intel' in Taipei that is useful in Moscow poisoning Brayko's cocaine. I mean, useful if you didn't take chain shot, that is.

e: another little thing is AP is shooting your annoying(!!!) colleague in the dick during training.

tight aspirations has a new favorite as of 13:03 on Jul 26, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RBA Starblade posted:

If you know which missions have what upgrades hidden in them, yes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
And there’s a mission that is under an explicit time crunch towards the end of Moscow that goes away forever if you decide to travel to a different hub instead.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Quote-Unquote posted:

He doesn't just form a vendetta. He will actually abandon his attempt to escape just so he can come and kill you in person because you pissed him off so much

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Also people keep talking about always doing pistols-stealth, which, if you want the most boring way to play, sure.

On my Veteran/Hard playthrough I went with shotguns (and SMGs for a trophy but whatever) and running into a room, shrugging off bullets like they were nerf darts and just knocking everyone down to the ground with a couple shotgun blasts never got old. Just shoot once, and they're on their back.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

And there’s a mission that is under an explicit time crunch towards the end of Moscow that goes away forever if you decide to travel to a different hub instead.

Which mission was that?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Morpheus posted:

Also people keep talking about always doing pistols-stealth, which, if you want the most boring way to play, sure.

On my Veteran/Hard playthrough I went with shotguns (and SMGs for a trophy but whatever) and running into a room, shrugging off bullets like they were nerf darts and just knocking everyone down to the ground with a couple shotgun blasts never got old. Just shoot once, and they're on their back.

Moneypenny: And what would a 007 mission be without you getting the enemy on their back?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Lobok posted:

Moneypenny: And what would a 007 mission be without you getting the enemy on their back?

But then the shooting comes after :smuggo:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Which mission was that?

The one where Surkov is trying to escape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The Lone Badger posted:

It's actually the smarmy Bond types he really, really hates.
Unless you're professional to everyone else and only smart-off to him. Then he reads your dossier, realises that you're only doing it to manipulate him, and respects you even more.

Whoops, yeah, my mistake. I know I've done a run where I pissed him off to such an insane degree that...

RaspberryCommie posted:

He doesn't just form a vendetta. He will actually abandon his attempt to escape just so he can come and kill you in person because you pissed him off so much

Yeah, that.

I must've played Alpha Protocol five or six times and found something very different each time. I'm pretty sure I only got the same ending once, but that was after a completely different boss fight.