Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
There is a slight dialogue difference if you play a Healer early on, but that's all I can think of.

The Red Mage questline has the NPC talk about Zenos differently depending on where you are in the story, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I love the reactions when characters learn you're capable of doing a bunch of other jobs.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

Finished 3.0. What a ride. Also nice new comic book-style plot with the Warriors of Darkness there.

Seems that I have a lot of job questlines to do... are there ones that significantly alter dialogue in Stormblood MSQ, like getting DRG to 50 before meeting Estinien?

If you completed the main SB story the RDM guy thanks you for liberating Ala Mhigo.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Alakaiser posted:

That's fair; I haven't really played any melee DPS since ARR ninja so I don't really know much about it. I just like Hamon Holyfist.

He's back in the 60-70 questline for a minor appearance and just as good as ever.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Vadoc posted:

I love the reactions when characters learn you're capable of doing a bunch of other jobs.

Where does that happen?

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

A lot of the cameos in the Stormblood class quests feature characters from other classes, and they usually have a remark about your very broad talents.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I guess I need to level up more! I haven't seen the Arcanist peeps in SMN/SCH, nor the Thaumaturge Guild.

I did see the Archer and Lancer Guildmasters during the Bard quest, though. :)

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

A couple characters that you make some stuff for in the Armourer job quests make an appearance in the PLD SB quests too.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Hogama posted:

There was a little more on the Eureka Logos system after translation - "a system where you can temporarily attain a different role." More info in the next Letter from the Producer.
It's not likely they'll completely reinvent the wheel, but it's always possible they're using Eureka as a testbed for ideas.
Given now that they're opening up all the in-class role actions in 4.4, they might be looking into how they'll change that in the expansion.

I wonder if this means they are working towards some kind of Sub-job system for 6.0 where we can equip an extra job stone to gain certain abilities from that class. Which would probably be a balance nightmare, but would be neat to consider.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You call Masked Rose out if you're a Weaver.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheHeadSage posted:

I wonder if this means they are working towards some kind of Sub-job system for 6.0 where we can equip an extra job stone to gain certain abilities from that class. Which would probably be a balance nightmare, but would be neat to consider.

They seem to want to be breaking the paradigm a bit. How they describe the Monster Hunter fight sounds like it's a testbed for some ideas. (And if everyone hates them they can just go "hey it was just us being faithful to MH.")

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Goddamnit guys I'm so excited to sink more hours in the game... I feel like the way the game handles the job/class stuff is really good, WoW tried to integrate your character's class to the overarching plot and while it was a neat idea, the execution wasn't so hot. Here I feel like I'm trying to save the world and while trying to finish my thesis in Master of White Magic Arts in my spare time in a good way, if that makes sense.

Also last night when I was doing Aetherochemical Research Facility, the party pulled the final boss while I was enjoying the cutscene so I had to skip it (I was the healer FFS), and promptly died to a mechanic. Then the party defeated the first phase and someone said "Hi Schneider, if this is your first time, we'd be glad to help you out with any tricky mechanics, for instance when the boss casts his--" and I was too polite to sass "WELL IF YOU KNEW I WAS NEW YOU SHOULD'VE LET ME FINISH THE CUTSCENE". That one went smoothly, but I'm still mad.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I like the one HW armorer quest where you visit beaton and he grumbles about you turning traitor to metals instead of wood

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

You call Masked Rose out if you're a Weaver.

I remember that. Isn't his answer something like "I am most definitely not that Roegadyn with the similar name, build, and impeccable taste in fashion."

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Schneider Heim posted:

Goddamnit guys I'm so excited to sink more hours in the game... I feel like the way the game handles the job/class stuff is really good, WoW tried to integrate your character's class to the overarching plot and while it was a neat idea, the execution wasn't so hot. Here I feel like I'm trying to save the world and while trying to finish my thesis in Master of White Magic Arts in my spare time in a good way, if that makes sense.

Also last night when I was doing Aetherochemical Research Facility, the party pulled the final boss while I was enjoying the cutscene so I had to skip it (I was the healer FFS), and promptly died to a mechanic. Then the party defeated the first phase and someone said "Hi Schneider, if this is your first time, we'd be glad to help you out with any tricky mechanics, for instance when the boss casts his--" and I was too polite to sass "WELL IF YOU KNEW I WAS NEW YOU SHOULD'VE LET ME FINISH THE CUTSCENE". That one went smoothly, but I'm still mad.

Just watch the cutscenes. If they die, they can run back while you finish.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Just watch the cutscenes. If they die, they can run back while you finish.

This, also, there's the new "teleport directly to gated off area?" popup, so you should have been able to get in anyways.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

ARF spawns you inside the boss arena even when you're watching the cutscene IIRC.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That's what I thought, except I couldn't remember if there was a little nook carved out just outside the arena like the first boss of ARF hard.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I did the HW PLD storyline just a few months ago and I'm struggling to recall any of it. SB's PLD story was unremarkable but still kinda fun.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Vanderdeath posted:

I did the HW PLD storyline just a few months ago and I'm struggling to recall any of it. SB's PLD story was unremarkable but still kinda fun.

The beginning, middle, and end of the HW PLD questline in one image:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Vanderdeath posted:

I did the HW PLD storyline just a few months ago and I'm struggling to recall any of it.

That's because nothing happened. What's his name from the ARR story faked his death and you follow the trail. There's a stolen sword he's retrieving, he gets it and you fight him to draw out its power.

Debated spoiling that because it doesn't feel like there's anything to spoil. Not like DRK's, which was awesome.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
gently caress you YoshiP for stealing my idea and not even giving me credit! :argh:

quote:

After a hard day’s worth of adventures, there’s no place like home. And if home is where the heart is then surely, the hearth of a Warrior of Light must match the heart of Hydaelyn’s chosen hero! We challenge adventurers across the realm to design your ideal living space, whether that’s in your private chambers or a large plot estate. Will you decorate with elegance and extravagance, or coziness and comfort?

Are you ready to put your interior design skills to the test? Entrants with the most original, distinct and creative designs will have a chance at winning an exciting assortment of in-game prizes!

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Those prizes are awful.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Hommando posted:

Those prizes are awful.

Paint my chicken coop!

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Leofish posted:

Paint my chicken coop!

Make me!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All I have to say is that Mordiceius' contest did not exclude Brazilian citizens.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Elentor posted:

All I have to say is that Mordiceius' contest did not exclude Brazilian citizens.

Yeah!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Don't they hand out these items because they technically have no monetary value and can thus not be considered a loss or whatever?

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Schneider Heim posted:

Finished 3.0. What a ride. Also nice new comic book-style plot with the Warriors of Darkness there.

Seems that I have a lot of job questlines to do... are there ones that significantly alter dialogue in Stormblood MSQ, like getting DRG to 50 before meeting Estinien?

Yugiri will reference your ninja training if you have it unlocked. It's not used for more than a joke though.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Guess it's time to buy up a bunch of PotD pedistals and complete the cube shrine.

Hommando posted:

Those prizes are awful.

Cat hat's good.

I glamour the mandragora choker onto things from time to time thanks to goons winning a bunch in a FC contest years ago.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
The sheer amount of puns and wordplay is magnificent.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Koji Fox you magnificent bastard.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
So, going to stick with gladiator for now. Melee is nice and punchy feeling, with some great looking equipment. The game does a good job of easing me into the basics as well.

Are early level bosses easy to figure out and learn, or will I have been expected to read up on them beforehand? I mean I'm doing the latter anyway, but folks can be prickly about this in some games.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Safeword posted:

So, going to stick with gladiator for now. Melee is nice and punchy feeling, with some great looking equipment. The game does a good job of easing me into the basics as well.

Are early level bosses easy to figure out and learn, or will I have been expected to read up on them beforehand? I mean I'm doing the latter anyway, but folks can be prickly about this in some games.

"Don't stand in poo poo, kill adds" are generally the dungeon boss mechanics. When you go and fight primals (a dungeon, but it's just a single boss fight , they might have a specific mechanic, but if you say you're new someone can explain the one weird trick to kill a God. Most people will explain a fight if you ask.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I am hella PEEVED posted:

"Don't stand in poo poo, kill adds" are generally the dungeon boss mechanics. When you go and fight primals (a dungeon, but it's just a single boss fight , they might have a specific mechanic, but if you say you're new someone can explain the one weird trick to kill a God. Most people will explain a fight if you ask.
Yeah, if they're old vets you're doing them a favor by being a newb in their group. (Wondrous Tails)

That said the first two Primals are easy. Ifrit: An add will appear; kill it. Titan: Don't stand on the edge, just real close to it, and try not to get knocked off.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Thanks guys. Good to know. :)

Conveniently, the game and all its expansions seem to have gone on sale for half price in the PSN store. Guess my decision is made for me.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Nessus posted:

Titan: Don't stand on the edge, just real close to it, and try not to get knocked off.

"Don't use your jumps on Titan as a Dragoon, you'll probably time it when he's doing his knockback and be animation locked."

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
How are you supposed to earn FLRTNK license plate if not Titan?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Safeword posted:

The only issue with the bosses is that they're built to teach you a lesson. The trouble is that you need to learn the right lesson. For example, the final boss of Sastasha is trying to say "sometimes there's a mechanic you can do to prevent adds, but since this is Baby's First MMO, we'll make them weak so that when you inevitably gently caress it up it's not the end of the world, because we're keeping the stakes low since this is your first time." The lesson that you can take away from this is "adds don't matter, hammer the boss." This is a lesson that will cause you to wipe on Ifrit, because when fighting Ifrit, you have to kill the add (which is basically a punching bag that doesn't fight back) or everybody dies. I don't know how much time you have, but it's plenty as long as the DPS aren't completely awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
This thread cursed me by talking about failing ifrit normal the other day. I've somehow gotten ifrit normal multiple times this week out of my leveling roulette and had wipes every time.